“wonderful vacation and beautiful grounds” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

You added Ocean Maya Royale to your Saves list
Ocean Maya Royale
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Chetumal, km. 299, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #39 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Austin, Texas
“wonderful vacation and beautiful grounds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The food and service at this hotel is wonderful. We spent 10 days there and would go back in a heartbeat. Everyone was friendly and happy to serve you. A SPECIAL mention for OIi the bartender.

We have been traveling to Mexico for over 25 years and this is one of the best places we have stayed.

Room Tip: Select the top floor.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (972)
Bluffton, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The many positives about this property include a lovely lobby and grounds, a very friendly, helpful and courteous staff, very good food in a nice array of restaurants, and of course the beach and two great pools.
Not so good: the beer and wine in the room is of pretty poor quality. What is served in the restaurants is little better (they do offer corona on tap, but none of the other well known Mexican beers, and to get a wine that might satisfy a discriminating pallete, there is an upcharge, cushioned one time by a $30 coupon that comes in the welcome packet.) Also, there is a wide range of rooms by size (our room, 2305, was smaller and with a worse balcony and view than the room 2306 that was booked by our companion couple about the same time and for the same price). So we would recommend trying to find out as much as possible about the specific room you are reserving.
The dress code in the restaurants is not strictly enforced, which is an observation, not a complaint.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Chilliwack, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My husband and I stayed at OMR from November 29th to December 6th. I booked through Priceline back in July at an amazingly low nightly rate and had fingers and toes crossed that we wouldn't end up in the broom closet LOL!. Prior to our arriving, I was a little concerned after reading a few reviews from people who were bumped to the sister, family friendly resort Ocean Coral and Turquesa. I emailed Maria Lopez at OMR stating my concerns and that the sister resort would be entirely unsuitable for us since we are an older couple with slight mobility issues, also I asked that we be accommodated in a central location at OMR.

We arrived at the resort at around 1pm so it was no surprise to find out that our room wasn't ready but we didn't expect that it would take until 5 pm before it became available, but at least we weren't being bumped! However, this gave the "Vacation Club" aka timeshare salesperson an opportunity to swoop down on us and lots of time to try to entice us into attending a presentation. We found him to be quite pushy and in spite of telling him a couple of times that we were not interested he didn't appear to be listening. In the end, we stood up and walked away as it got a little old. This was not our first rodeo and timeshares are not our thing. Even though we are now retired, we still like to experience different travel styles and destinations and sometimes choose an AI holiday, sometimes not. Anyway, that is one area that we feel lets down the resort and needs to be addressed. Nothing wrong with being asked once, but hey, no need for the hard sell.

We were located in building 14 so not very far from anything. Our room was fine, the bed we thought was very comfy since we like a firm bed. I have read complaints from people whose rooms weren't cleaned until late in the afternoon but we never had a problem in this regard, we usually went back to the room between 4 and 5 o'clock for a rest and to get ready for dinner and it was always cleaned to a good standard and supplies replenished when necessary.

As others have said, the grounds are fabulous and meticularly kept. It was also a real joy to see so much wildlife.

It was sometimes difficult to get loungers by either pool but we usually found two somewhere and dragged them into the shade (which I need for my pasty white Brit complexion) and the odd time that we didn't, we just parked ourselves on loungers at the beach, no shortage there. Speaking of the beach, I booked this resort knowing that the beach wasn't the best and that the water could tend to be murky at times. I thought we would be fine with this, as we were spending the following week in Belize , getting lots of swimming and snorkeling in there, so I figured that we would just spend more time in the pool. We did go in a few times but it was a bit chilly. I never realized though just how much I missed swimming in the ocean. It was a tease, to be right there and yet not in the least bit inclined to go in. I guess we've been spoiled by staying on some fantastic beaches in the past.

Now on to the food. We really enjoyed the Dolce Vita restaurant very much. We tried the Blue Moon and weren't overly keen on it. On our last night, we tried to get into the Japanese restaurant but there was quite a waiting list so ended up at the buffet. The buffet, the buffet, the buffet, oh my. It could be great if they learned how to keep the food that is supposed to be hot, hot! What a disappointment! .They need steam tables as the heat lamps just don't cut it. As a result, some food that was nicely prepared actually ended up being a little insipid as it was room temperature. We even tried going to dinner right after the buffet opened at 6:30 thinking it would be warmer, nope not even close. This could easily be fixed if the resort listens to the feedback , as we talked to several other guests who had the same complaint about the food not being kept at the proper temperatures, As a matter of fact, as I write, it just occurred to me that we never once saw any staff member going around the buffet with a thermometer checking the food temperatures like we have seen at other resorts.

We don't drink much liquor or beer so can't comment too much about the selection of drinks, other than to say that the few beer hubby had and the few vodka and tonics I had were fine for us. We do like to drink wine in the evenings though and the house wine wasn't the worst we have tasted but it was just OK.

We found the wait and bar staff to be warm, friendly and eager to go the extra mile. Undoubtedly, this resort's staff are amongst its best assets.

I struggled between giving OMR 3 or 4 stars, I wish 3 1/2 was an option.

Overall, we felt that the value was great for the amount we paid. If management would address the buffet food issue and also that of the pushy timeshare salespersons we wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to family and friends providing the rates remain reasonable. For ourselves, I think we will stick with accommodations on better beaches but that is just our preferance, nothing at all against the resort. It's Mother Nature after all.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Stayed here Dec 13-20, it was our 5th visit to the area and this was one of the best resorts we've stayed. I work in the hotel industry and the service the staff at this hotel provided is exceptional. We chose Mexico over and over again because of the people and this trip didn't disappoint!
PROS-
- Great value for the level of service and facilities you get
- Food was very tasty at every restaurant including the buffet
- There is nightly entertainment and a great outdoor courtyard which is the perfect spot for a pre or post dinner drink
- Lobby bar is always buzzing and the staff are wonderful
- Rooms were extremely clean
- Lots of wildlife
- Beautifully landscaped grounds
- extremely well laid out and easy to get around
- Pools were chilly but very clean and offered both quiet and excitement
- beach is better than other reviewers have posted, yes the area has been eroding and the beaches are not perfect but the hotel does a great job of creating a very pretty beach and the water was warm.
- lagoon (15 min walk away) is really beautiful
- the most impressive thing about this resort is the AMAZING STAFF, they can't do enough for you, are genuinely friendly and represent the beautiful country of Mexico wonderfully.
BOOK THIS RESORT!!! If you have booked it, you'll have a great time.
I'll offer a few cons to be fair but know that they were not at all bad and I would book this spot again in a heartbeat..
CONS-
-Rooms are very clean but basic, our shower leaked but was repaired very quickly when we reported it - no harm done
- The linens could use an update the pillows aren't the best
- Food was delicious and safe ( no illness at all) however they seemed to have difficulty keeping it warm at the buffet, which was a shame because it tasted great at room temperature and likely would have been fantastic at the proper temperature (try the tortilla soup it's awesome!)
- The website states that each room has robe and slippers which they do not, no biggie but it would have been nice to have.
Again these were no big deal and would not change my opinion of this resort.
Ocean Maya Royale - Congratulations on a job very well done!!! We'll be back!

Room Tip: The rooms are in Villas of 8 unites each, They are all well situated. We were in the 31 block which...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Colchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My wife and I stayed for two weeks from 1-15 Dec. Requested an upper room in quiet location by e mail prior to arrival which we duly received.
Grounds and accommodation blocks well spaced out and well kept
Pool area. a previous contributor noted an 18-30 feel. There was one noisy pool by the bar and one quieter pool away from the noise. (Take your pick!) also lots of beds on the beach to chose from with shade if required.(no noise problems there either) We had no difficulties identifying Privilege area and to be honest could see little benefit upgrading with regards to the lounger situation.
We agree with Paulterry80 that the lack of an alternative to the main bar was a minus point. A quiet bar with some incidental music would be a definite plus for us.
Main issue re beach for me was the water stand waist deep and you could not see your feet. Having been to Mexico a number of timesbefore also in December never had two weeks of such soupy sea, waste of time taking my snorkel and flippers. Good swimming is a highlight of any holiday for me, not on this occasion however, I have seen it clearer at Clacton or Mersea Island our local beaches?(serious minus)
We thought the a la carte evening dining was very good no booking required and only ever had to wait a few minutes for a table. Choices were sufficient on each menu to allow for revisits and we were served with premium liqueurs with our coffee (Grand Marnier, Cointreau Lemonchello etc) not sure if this was meant but we didn't debate the point.
Only used the buffet for breakfast this had a reasonable choice and you could get a sparkling wine or Mimosa. Minus point no alfresco alternative. Like the evening drinks a quieter location near the beach would have been a big plus perhaps for continental breakfast.
No major issue with our room. Nice size great balcony with view of grounds not overlooked. No problems with changes of towels which were replaced every day (without request) Bedding also regularly changed. Room was quiet as requested. Minor niggles, mainy for my wife no full length mirror and rinsing her hair after shampooing was very difficult due to low water pressure in the shower.
Although this is not a top budget hotel , we felt it offered a good level of service and accommodation and was value for the money we paid.

Room Tip: We stayed in block 20 upper floor of two storey block room 2006 with sun on the balcony vitually all...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

My Partner and I spent 10 nights here between 11th-21st Dec. We enjoyed the break but found ourselves frustraited by little niggles that stopped it becoming an exceptional break........
Ok, the "Niggles"....

1) There's no area, bar, seating location in the whole complex where you can relax in relative peace. The only bar available in the evening is LOUD! This hotel was sold to us as a "couples hotel". Whether it's a misinterpretation on our part or not, we expected at least somewhere we could enjoy some peace/quiet and soak in the stunning views together.

2) Our bedding wasn't changed for the entire duration of our stay. This shocked us as the cleanliness everywhere else was meticulous.

3) The pool area was more 18-30's than anything else. Loud music, Loud games, Loud announcements, Loud Guests. I'm not against any of that but I feel people need to be made aware as it wasn't the image I was sold or expected.

4) We had ongoing issues with our card operated door lock. Upon our arrival we couldn't enter the room as the lock mechanism was faulty (dealt with swiftly and replaced in 10mins). Then the card was faulty on day 5, up to reception to reprogramme. Day 7 another new lock required (after being told several times to go to reception in the pouring rain to get the key reprogrammed again!)

5) The boundaries on the "Privileged" areas aren't well defined and you do end up feeling very uncomfortable about where you are and aren't allowed. We were told to move from some sunbeds as we weren't "Privileged" on day one. I said
"ok, that's fine. where we are allowed to go?"
"Not Here"
Plain and simple but didn't give us a welcoming feeling on our first day..........

The hotel staff on a whole are tremendous, the grounds, beach and sea are superb. The food is good but as with anywhere we struggled on the odd occasion for options, although all the food was well cooked and well varied.

I came away feeling we had any enjoyable holiday despite all these issues (Captian Morgan helped a lot!). I hope some of these problems are addressed as I would return in a shot if they were.

• Stayed December 2014
newcastle-under-lyme
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

What an amazing holiday! Visited for 11 nights through Thomson in November this year.

FLIGHTS AND AIRPORT
I had booked this trip through Thomson and have to say, the Dreamliner experience was brilliant. The flight was so much more comfortable than other airlines I’ve used. The in-flight entertainment was good, the complimentary drinks were very welcome too!
Cancun airport is a bit of a nightmare –it took almost 2 hours to get out of the airport once we’d collected our bags. There was a mass of people and no real queuing system. Not great! I had been told that this is normal for this time of year, so just be prepared. Also, when walking through to get to the transfer coach, you will be approached by several people shouting ‘Thomson! Thomas Cook!’ who will offer to take your bags to the coach (in exchange for a tip of course) just say no thank you and carry on walking – the coach is literally a 1 minute walk away – you will easily find it on your own.
We were the last hotel to be dropped off on the transfer, I think it was about an hour to an hour and a half. This felt tough after the long flight and airport nightmare, but realistically it’s bearable.

CHECK IN
Check in was quick and easy, the welcome drink on arrival was a nice touch. I’d seen a previous reviewer complain that they were not able to change their larger Peso notes into smaller notes for tips. I had no problem doing this at check in and throughout the holiday, the reception staff were always happy to help.

ROOMS & GROUNDS
The rooms were nice, we were on a ground floor room in a good location in between the main reception area and the pool/beach area. Unfortunately my memory fails me on the block number, I think it may have been 106.. The only thing I did not notice on arrival was a rather strange smell around the block. However, I didn’t notice this on subsequent days, so either I got used to it, or it disappeared!
We did have an issue with mosquito’s in the room, they would hover around the door and so everytime you left/entered the apartment, they’d all fly in. I would urge you to bring plenty of repellent and mosquito bands. I used both and still got bit a few times.
Cleaners tend to come randomly each day, there doesn’t seem to be a set time. Some days they’d be knocking on the door at 8am, others it would be 5pm!
The hotel grounds are lovely, lots of wildlife and gardens. The beach and pool areas were great also. We tended to favour the beach area personally. The drinks service on the beach/pool areas was excellent. No problem finding a sunbed.

FOOD, DRINK & ENTERTAINMENT
The food was fantastic. We ate at all the restaurants and the buffet and can honestly say we loved them all. There are four a la carte restaurants in total; Blue Moon (Continental cuisine), Le Dolce Vita (Italian), El Charro (Mexican) and Yokoso (Japanese). Make sure you try the show cooking at the Japanese restaurant. Well worth it! We never had to wait longer than 20 minutes for a table at any restaurant, you simply wait at the bar and have a drink, and the staff made you feel like you were paying for a top notch dining experience. It didn’t feel like a standard all inclusive meal in the slightest.
The evening entertainment was OK, the staff obviously work really hard to put on a show each night, but I do think it is difficult to please everyone! We didn’t spend too much time at the evening entertainment as it wasn’t really our cup of tea. One we did enjoy was the Mexican night with the Mariachi band. They were fab.
Daytime entertainment was good. We had a go at the sushi class, they also had various other things like Spanish dancing, blackjack, bracelet making etc. Something for everyone!
The bar staff are brilliant and will make you whatever drink you want! The cosmo’s from the lobby bar was amazing, and the bananamama cocktails at the beach bar were also fab! I was a bit disappointed with the margaritas though – they tasted a bit artificial, like lime syrup or something. Anyway, we never struggled for service and the staff always had a smile on their face.

EXCURSIONS
We booked a couple of excursions, one through Thomson which was the Chichen Itza trip. This was fantastic and I highly recommend it. The tour guide we had was very knowledgeable and went out of his way to ensure everyone had a great time. It’s a full day (6am to 6pm) so be prepared! But they give you plenty of refreshments throughout the day (including tequila shots and beer!).
If I was going to recommend one excursion, it would be Coco Bongo. You HAVE to go. It was unreal and just an amazing experience. We booked this directly with the hotel’s coco bongo representative (he has a stand by the pool) and it was really well organised. Definitely worth paying for the VIP experience too.
We took a taxi into Playa Del Carmen for the evening (200 pesos each way or 20$) 5th Avenue was the main strip and a great place to get your souvenirs. We went to a few bars and had some great margaritas and Mexican platters. Delish! I’d advise going in the early evening. Be prepared for the shop owners to try and persuade you to come into their store as you walk up and down. They’re not pushy so just say no gracias and they’ll leave you alone.

BITS AND BOBS
Currency - We brought Pesos, but most of the American guests used dollars. Shops, taxis and restaurants seemed to accept either, so I guess it depends what you get the best rate on.
Exit tax – don’t forget to save this for the airport on the way out, they accept dollars, and Euros as well as pesos. The cost varies each day, so you can find out from the reception what the current rate is.
Tips – we tipped throughout the holiday, bar staff and restaurants as well as the coach drivers. To be honest, it didn’t seem to make much difference service wise. I didn’t notice anything anyway!
Weather – we flew mid November and had a couple of days or rain, and a few days of cloud, but other than that, it was really hot and sunny. Lovely!

All in all, an excellent holiday and a fantastic hotel. I would definitely stay there again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!