“Honeymoon from hell” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

You added Ocean Maya Royale to your Saves list
Ocean Maya Royale
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Chetumal, km. 299, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #39 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“Honeymoon from hell”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2004

We went from our reception we went to the resort. We were so excited when we arrived to our room a housekeeper was coming out of it. I took one step in the room and slipped on a puddle of water on the floor. I smashed my face off the floor and broke my front tooth. Right away, we contact the front desk, to get a doctor because my root was exposed. First, they told me that I would have to pay for the doctor. I was furious, so they said they would see what they could do after an hour of arguing. Then I told them that I needed to see a dentist because I did not want to spend my honeymoon in so much pain. They again argued about that, that I would have to pay. So I decided to contact a lawyer in Canada to let them know of my situation. I actually had to threaten them that I would sue them and Air Transat vacations for all the unfair treatment I was recieving. I broke my tooth on their wet floor and they gave me nothing but trouble on my honeymoon. I don't know about you but we pay alot of money to stay at these resorts to have this much pain and suffering and to have to deal with that.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (973)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2004

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Mandarin from July 20th until the 24th 2004. We absolutely loved it. The grounds were so beautifully landscaped it was pure tropical delight and everything was so clean. We've stayed in 6 star resorts that don't compare to this one. The main buffet is the best. The food was outstanding such a wide variety of items to choose from. I was very impressed and could not believe some of the items that were available like fresh seafood salads, shrimp etc. Everyone was very helpful in making our stay an unforgettable trip. The rooms were a good size, they had a variety of things to do throughout the day and the entertainment was'nt bad either. Overall I would say that we had the perfect vacation we would definately like to come back but next time with the kids. It is a great family place. So if your looking for a nice relaxing vacation this is the place to be. After a few days here you'll need to work hard on the treadmill when you get back...

Mimi & Anibal Rivera

colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2004

Now to put up the good and bad.

Good-The room we were given 2003 was way from the beach, but the airconditioner worked awesome so we didn' ask to be moved(we are young) The resort itself is soooo clean and the worker work their butts off. The food was good always had a choice of mostly anything. The specialty restraunts I could take of leave, nothing special except getting wait on. The people we met Hi Sally and Adrian.

Bad- the Beach, having traveled to Cancun Four times in the last two years, this beach sucked, the pool is to small for the size of the property. The Free shuttles, when we got to the resort they were all booked up for the first five days. So we ended up paying $10 per way to go to Playa to have a decent beach. Why pay all inclusive if you can't lay on a decent beach. Our Apple Rep that is in the resort. We asked to be moved up to Cancun, withthe understanding we would have to pay the difference. He told us there were NO room in cancun, so I went in the internet cafe, found some phone #s and called the propeties myself. Not only did everyone that I called have rooms, they had lots of them. I went back to the rep and told him this and his reply was that if we wantd to change it was up to us. Apple would in no way help at all, So here we are STUCK at this resort. Im telling you all there are a lot better places out there. We would never return to this resort. But we are on our way back to Cancun in Dec. with our kids. We stayed here July 20 to 27. Have fun peaple

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2004

It was fabulous! We really enjoyed our trip, the staff were incredible, they worked really tough to make sure we were having a great time. There were lots of activities and really wonderful tours and excursions. The food was really tastey and there was always tons of choices. The only downside was the water wasn't as clear as expected, but they had workers out there cleaning it up so that's good. I highly recommend this place, it was incredible!

Sherwood Park, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2004

My husband and I had a fabulous time at the El Mandarin. Our room was very spacious and we very much enjoyed having our own private deck. Lucky for us, we were an end unit and so we did not look out onto anyone else. The staff at the ElMandarin were what made our stay extra special. Everyone was very courteous and willing to help you however possible.

We especially enjoyed the food, and although alot of the buffet was redundant, there was so much to choose from, you could satisfy any pallette. I especially enjoyed the desserts and the never-ending guacamole! The food was always available, and in the hours (only a couple during the course of the day), when the restaurants were all closed, there were drinks and appetizers, along with live music on the veranda, and in the main lobby.

There was music on the beach starting at ten, when all the entertainment started for the day. Though some may find the music too much, we really enjoyed the fun and laidback atmosphere of the resort. There were activities and lessons going on all day, everyday. There is also a daycare for children (though we left ours at home). Although the beach has a seaweed problem, a short walk down the beach, it is very clear and lovely.

For other daily activity, the hotel has an agreement with the Tres Rios park, just a short walk down the beach. $17 gets you a week-long pass. Tres Rio is a nature park where you can enjoy snorkeling, horseback riding, bike rides, kayaking, and a host of other activities.

We also ventured out on a snorkeling trip from the hotel. The staff was very helpful, as it was our first-ever snorkel adventure. $25 for an hour may seem a bit steep, but an hour is pretty much all you need! Navigating the reef for an entire 60 mins is very tiring! (Esp. when you decide to forgo the life jackets!)

All in all, we had a very enjoyable stay. We may even consider going back again.

• Stayed January 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2004

There were some problems when we first got to the resort: They had given us a room where the a/c didn't work, no fans, the lights didn’t work; and the phones were not working, and the room smelled musty and moldy. I also tried to purchase an international phone card from one of the hotel stores – the clerk would not accept my payment and sent me to the check-in desk to get pesos. When I returned she had closed the store 15 minutes early. They resisted giving us another room at first, citing how they were fully booked, but after working with the a/c and finding out the hoses were busted and leaking water, they gave us a great room close to the courtyard. They also allowed us to use the phone in the hotel office, which reflected their desire to make our experience a good one. After that, everything went well for us, but each time I passed by the check-in desk, there were more people complaining about their a/c and phones. The International Restaurant requires long pants, so we were not able to eat there. The buffet restaurant was very warm inside, but the food was good. Drinks were good, and the bartenders were good. The staff was very courteous. The store clerks inside the hotel stores would not always accept our credit card even though they said they would and our credit card was good. We tried to make 3 different purchases, and 2 of those times they would not process our credit card. We think it either was due to them not knowing how to use the credit card machine or they just wanted US currency. The hotel charges 3% commission to cash in Travelers checks. As for activities, we chose to go out on an excursion for snorkeling to Paradise Reef Adventure because, even though it's a little more expensive than going snorkeling through the excursions from the hotel, it was worth it. We also went to Tulum - highly recommended and the beach at Tulum afterwards was great. We also went horseback riding, so our 3 day stay was full and those activities were excellent. I was disappointed with the resort's beach, but the hotel offers free kayaking, catamaran, and windsurfing.

Overall, Club El Mandarin was OK, but at the prices we spent, we should not have had the problems that we did. This resort has good potential, and I recommend as a starting point, they examine each room before check-in to make sure everything works.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2004

Just got back from El Mandarin last night. Stayed from 7/20 to 7/28.

Good points: Beautiful grounds, immaculately clean. Staff is friendly, if you say "hello" first. Food is excellent, best is in the buffet (selection is amazing)...specialty restaurants are not quite as good. I have a 6 yr. old so the variety in the buffet is superb. Pool is great...water can be a bit warm in the afternoon, but it is superb. Lots of kids. Very few speak english (mostly spanish and italian), but kids find a way to play. Beautiful outdoor drink and hors d'ouvers set up around 6pm outside everynight for mingling with guests before dinner. Beautiful rooms, no bugs, very clean. Huge turtle fountain with at least 25 live turtles, the kids find them fascinating. Entertainment staff is wonderful, you can do as little or as much as you'd like.

Improvements needed: Air conditioning.....worked the first night, went off the next afternoon, after 4 calls we were finally told that it could not be fixed. The manager told us that the hotel was 100% booked could not be moved...had to "sleep" in 87 degree room. We were moved first thing the next morning and everything was fine for the remainder of the stay. The ocean is "grassy". The sea is filled with what I can only describe as "loose lawn clippings". You can swim in it, but it is not visually appealing. However, the pool is great!

Overall, I think the hotel does an excellent job in treating its guests well, and I would gladly go back to the hotel.

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!