“Review of Ocean Maya Royale” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

You added Ocean Maya Royale to your Saves list
Ocean Maya Royale
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Chetumal, km. 299, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #39 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
PA
“Review of Ocean Maya Royale”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We visited OMR Dec. 19-26, 2013. This was our 24th Caribbean trip, to provide a bit of background and demonstrate how our opinions are based. Although we are offering a lengthy review below with details, in summary we found OMR to be lacking. There seemed to be a very “hands off” policy by resort management. We normally observe and meet many supervisors and managers during our visits. The only supervisor we met was of Guest Services, Sabrina, who was a pleasure even though the purpose of our meeting was to advise of problems we had. The only day that we observed management at this resort was on Christmas Eve when they were preparing for a celebratory function. Perhaps this lack of interest, combined with an insufficient amount of staff, is what has led to the unsatisfactory performance by many wait staff which was our primary issue with this resort. Also, perhaps if management participated in the day-to-day activities more, they would recognize problems without a guest having to advise them.
We found OMR to be a beautiful resort. It is extremely clean and well maintained. We loved the many areas for sitting and having conversation, but found the furnishings in the areas to be too deep and/or too low for most guests to sit comfortably. Also, it was awkward to converse with the tour operator while sitting on a low sofa. A table or desk provided for the tour operators and chairs for the guests would be more efficient.
Our check-in was conducted by Antonio. Although his name tag indicated he was in training, it was evident he has worked in customer service in the past. We took the opportunity to speak with him several times during our visit because he was such a nice and pleasant young man.
Upon arrival, immediately after check-in we were required to listen to an invitation to visit a “project.” We were polite and stayed seated, but this intrusion on our vacation was not appreciated. We have received written invitations for various visits or reviews at other resorts, but have not had to use our time to listen to a sales pitch. This process should be omitted.
The room was one of the top three we have had and the room was very well maintained and very, very clean. We were especially happy with the shower and AC in our room. The reading lights were also much appreciated. Those are sometimes a problem. The resort and our room were very quiet, with the exception of our last night. There was apparently a band playing and the music was so loud that our room door was vibrating. This went from 10 PM to midnight. Our room was always cleaned perfectly. Our housekeeper was Claudia and when we saw her, she was always friendly. Our only suggestions for improvement of the room are: 1) a bench or handle in the shower; 2) more lighting in the vanity area; and 3) a full-length mirror in the room.
I did have a massage at OMR, which I normally do not do. The price was reasonable and the massage (by Aida) was one of the best I have ever had. I also had a manicure (package deal) by Gris which was very nice.
We also attended three shows. There is a very small entertainment staff and they work very hard and put a lot of effort in their performances. It’s not Vegas, and we don’t expect that, so we were very happy with the shows.
The beach was fine for us; however, anyone considering OMR should be aware that due to erosion there are sand bags and a “boardwalk” along most of the beach front, with two small areas for access to the ocean, one at each end of the property. The water is not generally the Caribbean turquoise, but less clear. The resort has done what it can to make the beach attractive, but if getting in the ocean means a lot to you, you probably do not want this beach. Although one day we did have crocodiles in the ocean, that is not normal (I believe it is the only occurrence) and the resort has no control over Mother Nature or her children.
The other oddity we found was that there is no wait service on the beach unless you are in the Privilege section. The beach bars are close by, but this is the first resort we have visited that did not offer that service. When I mentioned it to resort staff, I was advised that they did not offer that service, only for Privilege services, but a few days later we did have a waitress – for a day. We normally obtained drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) from the El Charro juice bar. Although the drinks were of good quality, the bartender was not very friendly. He did his job but the friendly conversation and anticipation of what you wanted to drink (some of us always have the same thing) was missing. At least his drinks were good. The drinks and service we had from the lobby bar were of a lesser quality. In fact the drinks we had the first day or so were so bad, I left mine. We did much better in the lobby if we were lucky enough to have Yovenetti wait on us. She was a pleasure to meet and was the epitome of the personality we are accustomed to meeting on other visits.
Our problem with this resort was service for dining. It appeared to us that the dining areas were severely understaffed. There is only one option for breakfast (unless you have Privilege services) and sometimes there were only two wait staff at breakfast. There were seldom sufficient wait staff given the number of guests. Food items were not replenished and hot items were sometimes cold. At other resorts, we normally observe supervising chefs testing temperature of food items during dining. We did not observe that at this resort – for the first three days or so and sporadically after that.
I advised Guest Services of the poor dining service and beverage quality and submitted a written complaint on our second day. I also advised our tour company who in turn emailed the resort management. The response to me from the resort staff was to advise that they had plenty of staff, just the staff sometimes needed to be elsewhere (which indicates not enough staff) and to offer us Privilege services, which we declined. We advised that we did not want anything special, just the normal service for which we were paying. The response from the resort to our tour company was that there was no understaffing, no service problem – see Trip Advisor reviews, and that we had been offered Privilege services and declined.
Although the quality of the drinks improved for the most part, the dining service was still hit or miss, being good only about a third of the time. Once we were seated and approached by a wait staff and requested water (always requested, only coffee was ever offered, all the other resorts we have visited automatically served you water upon sitting), sometimes we would receive it shortly, but many times the wait staff would bus other tables before serving us our beverage. Most of the time, our dirty plates sat on the table where we would stack them before being cleared off. We were almost never offered a beverage refill and had to beckon the wait staff to request more. Only three times were we asked if we wished to have a hot beverage with our dessert – two of which were in the Italian specialty restaurant. Although we maintain that we do not believe the dining areas, especially the buffet, were appropriately staffed despite resort management’s assertion to the contrary, we did observe some wait staff who simply did not seem to want to serve guests attentively.
At one lunch at the beach buffet, the waitress brought one of our party a beverage, but we had to ask for a refill at the same time – twice. Also, she walked by and did not clear our table although we had at least three dirty dishes at that time. The hostess also walked by (she was assisting with bussing tables) and ignored our plates. They appeared to be clearing dirty plates only when the guests left and they were getting them ready for the next round of guests.
At one breakfast, I finally started putting dirty dishes on an adjacent table to make room. The waiter had walked by repeatedly and would sometimes carry one plate, but only one, to the bus cart. On at least two occasions, I picked up my empty glass and carried it through the dining room, past a waiter and past the maître de, to refill it with water. The staff looked at me, saw me, and did not offer any refill or assistance. The only good experiences we had with the dining buffet service were when we had Virginia as a waitress in the morning and Lorena as a waitress at dinner. Unfortunately we only had them each for two occasions. They provided prompt, friendly, and professional service which is what we expect from a resort. They were truly a delight.
We found the food to be at best average. The one food item we all agreed was wonderful was the rice that was offered at the breakfast buffet. Many times the food was presented beautifully, but was lacking in taste. My husband is vegetarian and he had very little choice during our visit. There were plenty of warm meat dishes, but not so much warm vegetable dishes. Even a lot of the cold dishes had meat or seafood in them. There were not always identifying cards, so we had to really examine before partaking. At other resorts, we have asked chefs if there is meat or meat product in dishes, but there were not chefs in the area to ask. The only chefs were the ones preparing individual food items and they were constantly busy. The lunch buffet at El Charro offered very little variety for any of us, and almost nothing for my husband, not even to make a salad. The pizza served at lunch was awful – and my husband likes almost all pizza. He would not even eat it after the first time. The Mexican restaurant offered only fajitas as a vegetarian selection. We were shocked as we frequently dine at Mexican restaurants with a large vegetarian selection. We did not attempt the other specialty restaurants. Luckily, the Italian restaurant offered a variety of pastas and the service was wonderful normally. Our first dining service experience there was not good. It once again appeared the wait staff was overwhelmed. They were doing their best, but needed more wait staff. Our second and third visits were wonderful and we were served by Primotivo, Denis, and Jose.
Most resorts have a couple of vegetarian selections at each restaurant, and some have a vegetarian menu for each restaurant. Even if there are not vegetarian selections, most resorts will accommodate by “converting” some of the menu items by omitting the meat and replacing it with beans, vegetables, and/or cheese, as appropriate. This was not offered at all. Also, room service was only included for Privilege services and was very limited. All the resorts we have visited have included room service for all guests and had a much more extensive room service selection.
My review is lengthy for a couple of reasons. Since the resort management appears to be of the opinion that if it is not mentioned on Trip Advisor, it is not a fact, I wanted to make sure that I mentioned the things which we considered issues, most of which I verbally and in writing advised during our visit. I am not sure what percentage of OMR guests have experienced Caribbean resorts. My thought is perhaps a low percentage and they therefore were not aware of the “normal” Caribbean service and how OMR service was lacking. We consider our resort priorities 1) beach, 2) service, 3) food, 4) beverage, 5) room and 6) resort grounds. The only categories which we rate OMR with a high score are the latter two. Our vacation time is too valuable to spend at a resort which in our opinion does not earn a good rating in at least a few of the first four categories. The beach is sufficient for us – we don’t need to get in the ocean and the resort has done everything they can to make it attractive and comfortable (other than have wait service on the beach). However the service was so poor, combined with at best average food and beverage, that it was not the vacation we are accustomed to nor had expected.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,082)
  • Finnish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Hy,

I was on Ocean in late of September this year with my wyfe in our honey moon.

We're from Romania, we didn't had troubles at the arrive in Mexico City. In Mexico was a little cold in the night and we had a little worried but when we arrived in Cancun the weather was great.

The Ocean Maya it's a very good resort and the adult only program is wonderful. You can do everything you want when you want :).

At the entrance of resort you will find some tourism agency and it's good to take some trip starting second day. You can make awesome trip to akumal, tulum, to see the coral, the big turtles, the Mayan people.

The people from resort make us a surprise and we arrived at 2 o'clock in the morning and in our room we had sampain, strawberry fill with black and white chocolate and a romantic dinner from them.

An wise advice is in the morning when you go to lunch to leave your towels on the sunny beds to have it all day.

We 've had a very romantic and relaxed honey moon and we planned to go back next year olso.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

So I have now been to Catalonia Royal Tulum, Riu Cancun, The Royal Playa Del Carmen, and I have to say in my opinion the Ocean Maya Royale is far superior to all the rest. This trip could not have been more perfect. Check in and check out were 5 minutes max for each. Easiest check in/out ever. Welcome drink, ride to your bungalow, and luggage arrived 5 minutes later. Perfect.

The grounds are STUNNING. Absolute beauty everywhere you look. Instead of “hotel rooms” there are villas containing 8 guest rooms. I really liked that. We arrived to find chocolate covered strawberries, a bottle of wine and a bottle of tequila in each of our rooms. Minifridge restocked daily. Maid service was good.

The food, crazy good. Presentation, flavor, variety, we all loved it. There was a large buffet (some themed nights), a Mexican restaurant, an Italian restaurant, a Japanese restaurant that you could reserve a show cooking table (AWESOME TIME!), and the day before we arrived they opened their new French restaurant (requires more formal dress). They were all incredible. And the best part, no reservations required. Quite unusual for Mexico. We never waited more than 5 minutes to be seated and they always accommodated our party of 8 with a smile.

Several in our party either got massages, pedicures or manicures. Everyone was very satisfied with their services, and they did run specials/deals. The spa staff were wonderful. And you can schedule a time to use the hot tub in the spa for a ½ hour free of charge. Just need to make a reservation. I was glad I read that on TripAdvisor.

The entertainment staff at this hotel are some very hard working people. They lead yoga, dance lessons, games, Texas Hold ‘em, Sushi making lessons, archery, etc, all day long and then they also do the shows at night. There was always something to do if you wanted to.

The pools, fantastic. They have both a quiet pool and a “party” pool. The party pool was never loud or out of control. It is the pool with the swim up bar. This pool was by far the busiest, but in no way crowded. We made many friends in this pool. There was an activities team who were just fabulous and made efforts to include you but not pushy. I am usually a beach person but spent a lot of my day by this pool. It was just too fun.

The beach is the nicest of all the resorts in this area. Very, very clean. There is a big boardwalk that goes up in front of a good portion of the beach. It’s been put there to stop the beach erosion so many of the other resorts in the area are experiencing. There is still plenty of beach with ocean entry on either side of this boardwalk. TONS of beach chairs and a good amount of beach beds. I’ve seen reviews about the water not being the beautiful turquoise blue. This is true, but that is true for all of Playa. It’s in the mangrove areas so when the ocean is wavy there is sand and whatnot churned up in the water. It is still beautiful and lots of swimming going on. If you want perfect turquoise waters you need to go further south to Tulum.

The staff is the best part of this hotel. They are outstanding. The waiters, maids, groundskeepers, entertainment staff, front desk staff, etc., are all very hardworking and always smiling. They always say Hola when passing you. When you say “thank you,” their response was always, “It is my pleasure.” And I think they mean it! I spoke with one waiter quite a bit and he informed me he has worked at this resort for 14 years, and it is a very good place to work. It must be because I didn’t see one grumpy worker the entire week. We tend to tip in Mexico, and our group were good tippers. Some of our group waited until the end to tip, and they received the same good service all week despite not knowing they would be tipped at the end. So though tipping is truly appreciated, I feel they provide great service to all and tips are just a bonus. A big shout our to those who really made our trip: Annie, Poncho, Daniel Ara Castro, Manuel, the pool bar waiters and the saxophone player (wish I could remember their names!).

We also hired the hotel photographer to take professional pics of our group together and as couples on the beach, hotel grounds, etc. Our pictures are lovely.

We booked a deep sea fishing trip with Jose whom we met at the pool. Jose and his guys knew what they were doing. I can’t believe how many fish we caught so fast. Anyone who enjoys this type of fishing should definitely go out with this group. The other ships around us weren’t catching anything and we caught 15 big fish in one hour. Awesome.

I must also mention there were all ages, all walks of life, all shapes and sizes at this hotel. Mainly couples. All guests were extremely friendly. Perhaps the friendliest guest interaction I have ever encountered at a resort. A day at the pool was a day of chatting in the pool, beverage in hand, meeting other resort guests.

We just cannot fault this hotel. We go to Mexico every two year and have already decided we are going back to Ocean Maya for 10 days over Christmas in 2015. This will be the first time I have returned to a resort, and I can't wait to do so!

Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went for our honeymoon in late November/early December. The resort is extremely well kept with the grounds, beach, and buildings being cleaned constantly. The food was very good. My only complaint as far as the drinks was the house wine at the Italian restaurant could have been better. For our honeymoon, though, we were given a nice bottle of wine as well as champagne and strawberries in our room.

The upgrade to ocean view was well worth it. Our first night the ocean view we had was not great, but we asked for a room change and the desk staff was very accommodating, switching us to a really primo room in building 12, right on the beach.

Pros included the activities staff by the pool (Anne was awesome- she led a yoga class my wife loved and also taught us some dances!), food, friendliness of staff, general facilities, friendly atmosphere of other guests, ease of check in, front desk staff was very helpful, and the nightly vendors they bring in to allow you to shop a bit and see some cool crafts (haggle with them for better prices!). Staff also took our bags to our room at arrival and gave us a ride with our bags on a gold cart at departure. Every room had plenty of amenities including a mini fridge stocked daily, an iron, hair dryer, tv, safe, even an umbrella which we actually did have to use a few times.

The few cons include limited hours for the coffee bar, some ants in our room (not a big problem more of an annoyance and they did spray for us when we asked), limited options for dining (enough variety for a one week stay but would get old after that), not a lot of seafood options for being on the ocean, expensive charges for "extras" like good wine, spa treatment, lobster dinner, etc., and the workout room facilities were subpar in terms of offerings and the working condition of the treadmills and cleanliness of yoga mats. We also could not use a credit card in the gift shop, and the ATM was broken during our stay.

We booked through Apple and the resort's Apple rep Alandra was Exceptionally helpful and friendly. We learned its best not to book excursions until you get there because the Apple reps have better deals and advice than what the Apple site offers. We did the Talum and sea turtles snorkel trip, and the dolphins swim, both were awesome experiences.

Overall this resort is a great value of what you get for the money, and we would go back. The beachfront was even better than expected.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, U.S.A.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We decided to return to the Ocean Maya Royale in late November, just nine months after our last visit because we had such a great time. What we experienced this time only reinforced our beliefs that this is one of the best resorts -- and values -- in the area.

Our check-in went very smoothly, but we found that, as Privilege members, we would have a room in the Privilege block, which is somewhat like a multi-story hotel next to the lobby and main restaurant area. Unfortunately, while the rooms are larger than those in the bungalow units, they offer no view of the beaches, only views of the surrounding grounds. Boring. We asked the staff to help us out with a bungalow room with a view and they did an excellent job, giving us two options that we could have the next day. That worked very well for us, and we ended up in a very nice bungalow room with beach and pool views nearer the beach. Kudos!

As others (including myself in my previous review at (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150812-d258447-r152891924-Ocean_Maya_Royale-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html#REVIEWS), the grounds are terrific, the staff marvelous, and the accommodations very nice.

What made this trip even more exceptional was seeing managements' commitment to continuing improvement in the facilities. While we were there they moved the Privilege beach area from a central location to the far left of the beach right next to the Privilege lounge. This was a great move from our perspective. We could awake late, breakfast in the open-air restaurant, that serves as the Italian restaurant at night), and easily find a place to relax on the beach just a few steps away! Also, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Asuzansa (sic), our hard-working server of tasty libations while on the beach. She did a thoughtful and excellent job of keeping us well hydrated!

But there was more going on to upgrade the facilities that would benefit all.

For example, while there were Japanese, Mexican, Italian, and Buffet restaurants, a new one was being added. An upscale French restaurant will soon join the mix. As the quality of the food and service were uniformly excellent, we expect this one to be super as well. Every evening we could enjoy the music of Juan Talin C., saxophone player extraordinaire before dinner, then relax with Frangelica and Sambuca digestifs.

Okay, so nothing is perfect. The beds are a little on the hard side. The room cleaning service was not always prompt or as thorough as we would have liked. But overall, we again had a wonderful time and look forward to returning!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Rodney, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We stayed here from Dec. 7th to 14th 2013. There was nothing we didn't like at this resort. It is an adults only resort and the ages ranged from 19 - 90. Everyone we met was very nice - lots of different nationalities too. The staff are most willing to help with anything you need or want. The food was great. Our favourite a la carte was the Japanese. However, a new a la carte opened on our last day and we got to try it, It is French and the French Onion soup was amazing. The entertainment crew are enthusiastic and were always offering various activities. We learned to play "Texas hold 'em poker" with Poncho, who is wonderful. Gio, Annie, Mario, and Eddie (short form of her actual name) were also bouncy and full of energy - when we didn't want to participate, we had fun just watching the entertainment. Our room was lovely and had the best bed I've slept in at a resort. We plan to return to this resort in the future and would suggest it to anyone.

Chilton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We heard this many times as this was our second stay at this resort. From our check-in to the bartenders to the waitstaff...when they heard it was not our first stay, they were very quick to say "Welcome Home". It may be what they are told to say to return guests...but it was said warmly and from he heart. There is nothing we do not like about this resort. We originally decided on it for the fact that it is adults only...we returned because of the resort and the staff. We stayed12/14-12/21. Our check-in went smoothly thanks to Antonio. Although he was new (we arrived on his 3rd day on the job) he knew what he was doing, and he was more than friendly with us. Most days when we went to the lobby (to use the free wi-fi) we stopped at the front desk just to chat with him if he was not busy. On our last day, he gave us a hug and said he really enjoyed our visits and getting to know us. There is a nice selection of dining choices. An Italian, a Mexican, a French, a Japanese restaurant, and a buffet with theme nights. Our favorite is the Japanese. If you can, get there early to make a reservation for the hibachi table with Chef Nick. He puts on quite a show! Two pools and a nice beach for your swimming and tanning pleasure. I love that the music isn't played so loud that you have to shout to the person next to you. All of the bartenders at the pool bar are nice, but our favorite was Ignucio. He liked to joke around and always asked how your day was going. I got a massage out on the beach in a small hut. Listening to the ocean, the wind and birds is very relaxing. Lupe was my masseuse, she did a very nice job. I think every muscle in my body was relaxed when she was finished.The grounds are beautiful and well kept. Any pictures you see, don't do this resort justice. The rooms are nice, each one has its own patio. The housekeepers do a great job of keeping the rooms clean and the mini fridges stocked with water, beer and a variety of soda. The rooms are not situated hotel style. There are "units" (for lack of a better word) with 8 rooms. 4 lower level and 4 upper. This really keeps the noise level to a minimum. With this being an adult only resort and no spring breakers (per the website) it is not really a party resort. It is fairly quiet, not a lot of drinking games and screaming and loud music. If you are looking for a relaxing, quiet vacation, this just may be the place for you. I know it will continue to be the place for me.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!