“An honest review of Ocean Maya Royale” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

You added Ocean Maya Royale to your Saves list
Ocean Maya Royale
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Chetumal, km. 299, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #39 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
“An honest review of Ocean Maya Royale”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

This hotel changed from a family hotel to an adult only hotel on 1st May. We booked through Thomson holidays on the standard A/I 7 nights holiday. In our experience, the grounds area beautiful, the room was more than adequate although they were sometimes a little slack on re-stocking your mini bar with water etc but we just used to fill our water bottles up at the pool bar. Water and soft drinks were easily accessible at all bars and restaurants. No reservation is required to dine in any of the al la carte restaurants. We ate in alternative ones each evening with sometimes a maximum of an hour wait but if you prepare for this then a pre dinner drink with new found friends is always pleasant. If you really dont want to wait then the buffet restaurant is available with a walk in and eat option. Unfortunately neither tthe Mexican or the Italian restaurants have airconditioning currently but i believe that is something that will be changed fairly soon.
In summary: Beautiful gardens, tasty food in al la carte restaurants, although buffet not bad, we just enjoyed the waiter service and menu options in al la carte.
Pool bar sometimes a little slow on service, but good variety of drinks available and many cocktails to try.
Staff throughout the hotel were very friendly and courteous.
Comfortable rooms.
Many trips available to book, but suggest you ask about for other guest feedback as some trips sound fantastic and others really not good value for money.
Currently it is Whale Shark season but i really do not recommend this trip as it cost £140 per person and we spent 10 minutes in the water with the whale sharks. Too many boats out there and really big swells (open sea) Journey takes 2 hours to get to. If you would like more info then please feel free to email me. I am a diver so used to open seas.
Would i go back... Yes, i found the holiday very good value for money and if the restaurants were all airconditioned it would be near on perfect for what we wanted.

Room Tip: Request block 12 or 11 as you will get a part sea view and pool view
Dear guest,

Thank you for writing your opinion on tripadvisor. We are pleased to see that you did enjoy your week here with us, that you got to enjoy all our restaurants. Also thank you very much for talking about our staff, they really apreciate your good coments.

We hope to see you soon!

subdireccion.hhm@h10.es

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,084)
  • Finnish first
Sioux Falls, SD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

We stayed at Ocean Maya May of 2011, sorry for the delay in writing this review. We wanted to make sure and let everyone know about our stay. I believe that you must know the reviewer before you accept their review. A homeless person would give this resort a 5 star rating, but a prince from Egypt would most likely give it a bad rating. We are a young couple from the states, middle class, and love to travel. We have stayed in this area of Mexico twice now, as well as many resorts and hotels all over the United States. We are not hard to please, and not generally very picky...but we absolutely do not tolerate dirty hotels and bad food. This resort has neither.

First of all, the entertainment staff are truly special people. My wife and I wanted to stay much longer just to get to know them better. Yes, some of the stuff they do is a bit silly, but they worked incredibly hard to make our stay more enjoyable. If you don't know this, those guys live at the resort 24/7, and they work some insane hours. I would say this was the best part of this resort, and if any of the hotel management is reading this, they all need a raise!!

We booked the Privilege package, and it was nice to have the upgraded room but if you are wondering whether to spend the extra money or not, I would say it's not a big deal. If your budget allows it, go ahead and spend the extra...we did get a few perks like a reserved area at the beach which was very nice. The chairs and beds fill up super early, so this was helpful.

Rooms:
Room was clean and very nice. Beds were firm but we slept just fine. After being out in the hot sun all day, had no troubles sleeping. Again, cleanliness is a big deal for us, and there were multiple mornings that I walked by a room being cleaned and I was impressed. They had a huge floor scrubber and polisher that they were using to wax the floors!!! At first I thought this was just a once a month deal or something, but I saw it almost every morning at a different room, so this must be their standard cleaning checklist. The rooms are definitely clean, nothing to worry about here.

Beach:
To all those writing bad reviews on this beach, honestly I am not sure what beach they went to, because this beach is one of the better beaches along this stretch of resorts. Don't believe me, discover for yourself. Take the beautiful walk up to the fresh water streams that flow into the ocean, some really cool fish in there! Along the way, you will pass some resorts that have pretty awful beaches, and then you will realize how nice Ocean Maya keeps their beach up.

Pool:
There is a couple pools here, both very large in size....so plenty of room to swim around. In the mornings the entertainment staff will do water aerobics, fun stuff! My wife roped me into this one of the mornings, but it was fun. Water is clean, and I always saw staff cleaning and tending to the pool.

Food:
This is always make and break for a lot of people, including us. If there is a weak spot at this resort, I would say it's the food. If they took a little more time, effort and money into upgrading the quality and presentation of their food, this resort might jump into that 4 to 4.5 star category real quick. Let me say that the food was not bad at all, my wife and I always found something to eat. The food areas are very clean and we never felt sick eating anything from this resort. The fruit was very fresh and the meets always fresh. The Japanese place was by far the best, make sure to eat there one of the nights.

Staff:
This goes both ways for me. Some of the staff clearly are over worked and under paid, and this shows in their service. The bartenders were always working hard, and I was impressed. Some of the other staff seemed to be fatigued or tired, probably due to the 16 hour days they are required to work. My suggestion to the hotel management, your staff reflect the quality and service of the resort as a whole....even a few bad apples will ruin the whole carton. I must mention the entertainment staff again, big shout out to Jess and Ricardo who took us to CocoBongo one of the nights! Wish we could get in touch again, we definitely miss you two!!

Final Verdict:
I give this resort a 3.8 rating, again for the money that we spent we got an incredible deal. We were NOT expecting this resort to be this nice, I was pleasantly surprised. It has a nice, small intimate feel to it, the flowers and vegetation make the resort absolutely beautiful. The walk to the beach every day was my favorite part. You do catch the sewer smell along the way, but it wasn't bad...I honestly am not sure what people complain about...I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't read everyone complaining about it.

SUPER clean resort, VERY nice, GOOD food, and AMAZING vacation, would definitely go back to this resort in a heart beat. Got a great deal on this.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions, would love to answer them.

Blessings,
Andy & Beth, South Dakota

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear guests,

Thank you for posting you review on tripadvisor. We truly apreciate your review, how you describe our resort and all the complements to our staff. They are all hard working people and we do understand how important they are for our Hotel, they will make people like you want to return back, so I must say that from the point of view of the management side, that we are extremily happy to count with all of them.

As soon as you decide to come back, please feel free to contact me on the email above before arrival.

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

To sum it all up, the food was just shameful. We spent two weeks here and I wish it was far less. Hotel was pretty and the staff were lovely. Actually the room wasn’t bad either. But PLEASE pay heed to this warning - The food is cold, undercooked and just nasty!! We wish we listened to the reviews before we left….. once again , THE FOOD IS DISGUSTING – DON’T VISIT THIS HOTEL, TRY ANOTHER ONE IF YOU LIKE EATING ( i'M NOT TRYING TO BE MEAN TO THE HOTEL - IT JUST IS...

Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor. We are really sad to read that the food from our Hotel did not match you expectations, but I can ensure that we have a full team of profesional cooks to make sure that we give the best quality to all our guests.

Kind regards

Subdireccion
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Visited the H10 Ocean Maya Royale 25th June - 9th July 2011 with my husband. We celebrated both his 48th birthday and our 25th Wedding Anniversary whilst here and enjoyed both very much. We arranged to eat in the Italian restaurant for my husbands birthday and I had arranged a bottle of champagne for the table. The restaurant staff had been pre-warned and arrange balloons and confetti for the table. They also provided a small birthday cake and this was carried in by the restaurant manager (Cesar) and all of the waiters, who sang happy birthday (much to my husbands embarrasment).

Our wedding anniversary was spend on one of the tours - the Columbus Cruise at Cancun. This was a couples tour with only 5 couples on each tour. This was a very enjoyable evening with great company and food, taken on one of the bays in Cancun and provided us with some great opportunities for photographs, including the setting of the sun over the bay.

As mentioned previously, the grounds are fantastic and are always being worked on to keep up the appearance. There are various resident lizards, racoon type animals and even land crabs that make the odd appearance - none of which are dangerous if left alone and not bothered.

The room was quite large and was fine. Great aircon, large shower, large bed and fully stocked room fridge.

As previously mentioned, it is the staff that really make this hotel worth a visit. All staff were very good and attentive, but special mentions must go to Imelda (one of the drinks waitresses in the lobby bar area) and Cesar (the manager of the Italian restaurant), both of whom were always friendly and provided great service always with a smile.

We chose to upgrade to the Privilege service. This provided us with access to the reserved beach area with the great Balinese beds, reservations at all restaurants with access to the air-conditioned areas and top-shelf drinks. This is a little expensive but we were happy to upgrade to ensure access to all restaurants and air-conditioned areas.

We would rate this hotel as a high end 3 star hotel and is good value for money.

Room Tip: If there is something you specifically want (i.e. a sea view) email the hotel direct and let them kn...
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for writing a review on tripadvisor. I am very happy to see that the staff of the Hotel helped you enjoy the birthday by decorating the table at the restaurant. Also thank you for understanding out our fauna at the Hotel, as you say, they are harmless to us and we do live at their home. Congratulations one more time for your aniversary and we hope you come to celebrate the next one with us!

eastbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Just spent our 30th wedding anniversary here and loved every minute of it.

Check in:

really smooth and soon taken off to our room by a very pleasant bell boy who pointed out places of interest on the way.

Room:

comfortable room, no problem with the beds and had a great nights sleep. Rooms are spacious with a king size bed, free safe, flat screen tv and free mini fridge, stocked daily with beer, water and soft drinks.
There is also a coffee maker, iron and ironing board.

Bathroom:

A good size walk in shower, but no bath. Plenty of toiletries....shampoo, gels, conditioners etc.

Restaurants:

Three ALC restaurants, the Italian was our favourite. Plenty of choice at the buffet restaurant where there are foods that the chef will cook to order...certainly no need to go hungry.

Entertainment:

Quite low key with shows put on in the theatre by a really enthusiastic entertainments team who work really hard and are really nice people who take the time after their shows to ask your opinion.Show lasts about an hour and they then have an outside disco and the odd night of karaoke but it's all over by midnight.

Grounds:

Gardeners work hard all day to keep this resort spotless and the grounds are really nice with plenty of local wild life dotted about, all totally harmless and you are in the tropics so you will naturally come accross the odd bug or two.

Lounge bar:

Stays open till about 2am, bar staff and waitresses work exttremely hard and are always friendly. Free wi-fi in this area.

Beach;

Not the best but the stretch in front of the dive centre is pretty good. It does suffer from seaweed after a storm for a couple of days but the cleaners are working hard to clean it.

Swimming pools:

two lovely pools, one large and one smaller one which houses the pool bar. Entertainments staff organise various activities here during the day and encourage you to join in but are not pushy. As for a previous comment about all the topless sunbathing going on... come on, a few women going topless is hardly worth the comments made.

All in all, this is a good value for money resort and somewhere we would be happy to return to.

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your experience at the Hotel. We are really pleased to read such a nice review. I would like to thank on behalf of the entertaiment team for naming them. They do work hard everyday to keep everybody busy. Also, as you mention, topless is not alowed around the pool are, but the beach is public area, and we should all respect everybody.

We hope that you return soon here!

Kind regards

Dartmouth, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

First off, this is not a "PARTY" resort. This was my first experience at an all inclusive resort and unfortunately H10 has set the bar high I figure with this one.
To begin with the receptionists were friendly, the place look very welcoming. Our room wasn't ready for a few hours so they took care of our luggage and we went to explore. The beach here is VERY small but plenty of lounge chairs. 2 pools to cool off in. Yes they are right beside the sand so, ... YES there is sand in the pool. There are only 1 main bar at the lobby, a swim up bar at the pool and another small bar beside the pool side restaurant. There is a fair amount of strolling from the main building to wherever but the exercise never hurt me and there was always friendly people out to chat with(hint:as long as you are friendly too. A smile goes a long way).
There is no bath tub in my room just a shower but big enough for 2 ;). the room had slightly stained and cracked walls but there was always work being done around the resort so it didn't ruin my day. the balcony was great, after a day out we always came back to a restocked, cleaned room. If they didn't reload the fridge with what I was looking for(water or beer) a quick call and it was delivered very quickly and guaranteed the next day it was full with that. My only complaints were that the shower floors were too smooth and needed some kind of texture in them, and I would have liked a lounge chair on my patio for after a day out we sat there, talked with other guests, and watched the wild life.
There are 4 restaurants and all were first come first serve. The only one with any kind of line up was the Japanese but we accomodated for it. If I found something I didn't like, I didn't scream and holler, I got something else next time. Thats the fun of trying new things out.
The gym was very small so if I couldn't get a machine I just went for a nice walk down the beach past other resorts.
The beach water was very cloudy and rough not the best for swimming during my stay due to a storm that came by but it got better by the end of my stay.
Leaving the resort to go out to the road to catch the bus to go shopping is quite a hike so take water or catch a cab from the main entrance.
The main problem experienced the whole trip was the yelling from other guests who "EXPECT THIS, or DEMAND THAT" and the things they were whining about were very minor.
Needless to say I will go back again but next year it will be somewhere else, maybe Cuba or Jamaica. But eventually you will find me there again lying in a hammock with my shades on, my drink beside me feeling the heat of the sun and enjoying the day.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor. I am very happy to read that you had such a good time here with us, specially being your first all inclusive. I am glad that you enjoyed the food at our Japanise restaurant as well as walking down the beach.
We hope to see you soon back here!

Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

Let me start by the positives:
The grounds are beautiful. Most of the staff are friendly and helpful. The Italian restaurant had pretty good food.

Negatives:
The room- the bed was very hard and made a crunching sound every time we moved around. The bed sheets did not fit on the bed and kept bunching up. I woke up with a headache and backache every morning. We had a saw a small lizard in our room that was in the blinds. When we saw it we called the front desk and I told them and asked them to have someone come and get the lizard out of our room. The lady LAUGHED at me and said they would send someone over but after an hour no one came. We realized they would not help us and we slept with the lizard in our room! We also had ants in our room. The couch in our room had a nasty brown spot on it.

The Food:
TERRIBLE- most of it was cold, greasy, undercooked, raw or half cooked! My husband and I were eating at El Charro and a huge cockroach was on him, he flicked it off and it ran into the kitchen area. At La Hacienda, I ordered Salmon. IT WAS RAW and slimy in the middle. When I told the waitress, she said that that is the way that they cook it. I told her I would not eat raw fish! The last day that we were there the food was the worst and I only ate a few things off my plate. When the waitress came, she turned her back to me and said, "You didnt finish". I was in shock she talked to me like I was 5! The food was terrible. I lived on cheese, bread and dessert the last two days.

Drunk People:
For some reason there were a lot of people from England. A lot of 20 something’s. Most of the time they were drunk, loud and obnoxious. We met a nice British couple who actually said they are ashamed of the way their fellow country men and women are acting.

Breasts and more Breasts:
Lots of women sunbathe and swim topless. I got so sick of seeing women's boobs. This is NOT the place to go to if you or your spouse has pornography issues or has a wondering eye!

We will NOT go back to the Ocean Maya Royale! 5 stars? NO WAY, more like 2.5 stars! I suggest you stay somewhere else!

Dear guest,

Thank you for writing your comments on tripadvisor. We are really disapointed to read that you had such a bad experience with us, but I can ensure you that our quality service had not been reflected on your case. Regarding the lizard, I would like to quindly remind you that we live surounded by nature, so some insects can sometimes appear, I do apologizy if you felt that the treatment from the front desk were not appropriate. Pleople drinking in an all inclusive, is something normal, but we have security at the Hotel to avoid any bad behavior.

subdireccion.hhm@h10.es

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!