“In the middle of it all on 5th Ave, lovely rooms, great service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Freud

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playa del Carmen
Casa Freud
You added Casa Freud to your Saves list
5ta. Av. Norte #192 Entre Calle 8 y 10, Fraccion 2 | Center, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Las Vegas, Nevada
“In the middle of it all on 5th Ave, lovely rooms, great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2014

I contacted and booked with Casa Freud directly and it was very simple. The owner is very responsive and helps find the right room for you. I wanted to be in the middle of all the action and I took Suite #5 which is up on second floor with a terrace overlooking 5th Ave. Great spacious room, queen (maybe king?) -sized bed and futon couch (can sleep 2 more people if you need to fit 4 in room, you can easily) with TV, A/C, fans, a mini-fridge, dishware and silverware to eat your meals in your room or on the terrace overlooking 5th and people watching. There's also a nice sized bathroom with fresh linens, soap and shampoos. There is a security guard downstairs 24/7 so it is very safe, and I met 3 of the guards from their different shifts and all were super kind and very helpful with everything.

Room Tip: If you like to be on second floor with good view of the famous 5th Ave, select Suite #5 or 6 . The h...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Ossining, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

I just returned from staying at Posada Freud for 7 days. For starters, I did read the reviews on the site before I still decided to go ahead and book my hotel. With that being said, the reviews did not lie. The place is right on 5th a little hard to find when you first get there but if you're coming from the ADO bus station STAY on 5th Ave and then walk 4 blocks ahead towards Calle 8 Norte the hotel will be located next to a jewelry store and across a Mexican Restaurant called Tropicale right after the Subway food store. Now the hotel was relatively cheap, maid service is provided 2xs a week unless you opt for more. I asked for an AC room - I got the AC and it worked perfectly. The bed was comfy and it had a little balcony area w/a hammock outside of the room. Here's what was ridiculous - I felt like the hotel tries to nickel and dime you for every little item; i.e. beach towels ($10 USD), safe deposit box ($30 USD), use of the kitchen, etc. I had packed my own beach towel and found creative ways to store my valuables w/o the use of the safe. The maid service not really sure why the tip envelope is provided as the 2xs she came in my room was already clean, bed made and no towels ever replaced, courtesy of MY cleaning daily before leaving. I did notice she wiped down the bathroom sink but that's about it. The cobwebs that were at eye level in the shower since my 1st day checked in were still in the same spot when I left 7 days later & I looked everyday. Bring PLENTY of mosquito repellant as every night I was under a constant mosquito attack to be woken up with bites to the eyelids, forehead, cheeks and arms. I must've killed 12-15 mosquitoes daily and they were still in the room even though I kept all the windows closed and locked at all times. Ants all over the floors too that get inside your suitcase. I expect there to be some kind of bugs since you are in the tropics but in all my years in traveling never have I been inundated with so many in 1 room at a time. Lastly, if you're a light sleeper, go elsewhere. The bar next door & the Santanera night club will keep you up all night long or you can just bring earplugs with you or turn both the tv & ac on to fall asleep. There's no phone in the room which is fine but if you need a wake up call, I would carry a travel alarm since the wake up calls are far from punctual!! You are about 2 blocks from the beach, there is no pool, and you can walk to the walmart and buy stuff there for relatively cheap by walking about 4 long blocks from the hotel traveling towards the Avenues into town. Overall, economical but not sure that I would return again.

Room Tip: Make sure if you need the AC you request a room w/AC otherwise you will have the ceiling fans
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
posadafr, Propietario at Casa Freud, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
I am sorry that your stay at Casa Freud was not fot your full satisfaction. Some time ago we switched from a usual hotel to a guesthouse with room service twice a week. The house offers greate security, entrance (gate) is closed all day long, no one can enter without the house keyes. Beach towels and safe box keys are for free, we ask only for a refundable deposite payment. The use of our kitchen is not included in the economic room rates, but each room with AC has a frige and a coffee maker available to be able to take breakfast and cold food inside your room, on the balcony or in the garden. Our penthouse has its own and private kitchen included. The replacement of room towels as well as fumigation can by ordered each day by maintenance service, which is available 24 hours a day. Please make use of it if it is necessary.
Thank you !
Oceano
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I only stayed here 2 nights, but it was a nice clean little place with a friendly staff. It's right on 5th Ave, easy yo get to everything. It's not fancy, and really has no amenities. But if you're needing something economical and clean, this is a good option. There is a noisy bar next door, but you're on vacation... go have a beer and listen to some music!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I stayed here a few years ago but it was perfect when I did! It's right on quinta avenida and close to the beach. The staff was really nice and cute little bar in front was great to people watch and chat with others. The price was really cheap for what I got. Was worth way more and better than other places I've stayed. Would totally go back and love Playa!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Lucerne, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed here already a year ago, but this time was a little disappointing. First of all, the well known after hour club la Santanera is newly located in Calle 10 between 5th and 10th avenue. This means, almost next door to the Posada and therefore loud electronical music until 6 in the morning, almost every night. Secondly, the rooms were so humid that after one week we had mold on our clothes and shoes and everything felt humid all the time. What's more is that they just cleaned the rooms every third day which led to a always full toilet paper bin in the bathroom (bad smell) and to generally a lot of waste in the room. This place is definitely not relaxing during night and therefore just suitable for party people.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This is a really nice and good value option for staying in the heart of Playa del Carmen. We received a warm welcome when we arrived - there is someone at reception for most of the day and night, which makes you feel very secure and looked after. The bed was really comfortable, and the room was cool (we did choose to have air con) and shady. Enjoyed hanging out on the balcony in the hammock watching over the garden. Yes, the bar next door is noisy in the evenings, but it stops at a reasonable hour, and it is very peaceful during the day. I'd definitely stay here again.

[One other comment: I wouldn't recommend the breakfast at the hotel's own beach club - there is a deal offered but its not great, the coffee was awful and we only got 4 slices of toast between two of us - nowhere near as good as the breakfast at the bar next door to the hotel, which is excellent value especially with the wifi. The beach club does have loungers for the use of guests if you buy some drinks though, and its got a nice atmosphere so its worth a visit at some point].

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We have stayed here several times and it has never disappointed . Love the music and bar next door , just adds to the fun . Staff is very friendly too . It is a bit loud at night so if you have little ones they would need to be good sleepers . Nice central location ez walk to beach

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Casa Freud? Share your experiences!