I just returned from staying at Posada Freud for 7 days. For starters, I did read the reviews on the site before I still decided to go ahead and book my hotel. With that being said, the reviews did not lie. The place is right on 5th a little hard to find when you first get there but if you're coming from the ADO bus station STAY on 5th Ave and then walk 4 blocks ahead towards Calle 8 Norte the hotel will be located next to a jewelry store and across a Mexican Restaurant called Tropicale right after the Subway food store. Now the hotel was relatively cheap, maid service is provided 2xs a week unless you opt for more. I asked for an AC room - I got the AC and it worked perfectly. The bed was comfy and it had a little balcony area w/a hammock outside of the room. Here's what was ridiculous - I felt like the hotel tries to nickel and dime you for every little item; i.e. beach towels ($10 USD), safe deposit box ($30 USD), use of the kitchen, etc. I had packed my own beach towel and found creative ways to store my valuables w/o the use of the safe. The maid service not really sure why the tip envelope is provided as the 2xs she came in my room was already clean, bed made and no towels ever replaced, courtesy of MY cleaning daily before leaving. I did notice she wiped down the bathroom sink but that's about it. The cobwebs that were at eye level in the shower since my 1st day checked in were still in the same spot when I left 7 days later & I looked everyday. Bring PLENTY of mosquito repellant as every night I was under a constant mosquito attack to be woken up with bites to the eyelids, forehead, cheeks and arms. I must've killed 12-15 mosquitoes daily and they were still in the room even though I kept all the windows closed and locked at all times. Ants all over the floors too that get inside your suitcase. I expect there to be some kind of bugs since you are in the tropics but in all my years in traveling never have I been inundated with so many in 1 room at a time. Lastly, if you're a light sleeper, go elsewhere. The bar next door & the Santanera night club will keep you up all night long or you can just bring earplugs with you or turn both the tv & ac on to fall asleep. There's no phone in the room which is fine but if you need a wake up call, I would carry a travel alarm since the wake up calls are far from punctual!! You are about 2 blocks from the beach, there is no pool, and you can walk to the walmart and buy stuff there for relatively cheap by walking about 4 long blocks from the hotel traveling towards the Avenues into town. Overall, economical but not sure that I would return again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa Freud (Hotel Posada Freud) is located on 5th Avenue, the most famous pedestrian zone of the Riviera Maya, between 8th and 10th Streets, in the heart of Playa del Carmen. The comfortable PENTHOUSE is perfect for big parties up to 12 people, the other ROOMS accommodate from 1 to 4 people. CASA FREUD is surrounded by countless discos, bars, restaurants, cafés, boutique and handicraft shops, spas, travel and tour agencies, dive shops, real estate offices and more. Experience the lively pulsating scene out on the town and then dive into the relaxed atmosphere of our shady garden filled with tropical almond trees. PLEASE NOTE: Our location is the right place for people who plan to enjoy the day and have an active nightlife, but not for people, who love early nights. Because there is live music at our neighbor’s bar nightly from 7:00pm to 12:00am and their bar closes at 2:00am.Casa Freud is just a three-minute walk to the white sandy beach and the several shades of the crystal blue Caribbean sea. Sounds like a Freud dream but THIS one’s very real! Our go-to beach club, Lido Bar, is a centrally located bar and beach club, between 10th and 12th Streets and it offers Casa Freud guests lounge chairs, washrooms and shower in exchange for just one order of food or drink.A 1-week minimum stay for ROOMS3 nights minimum stay for the PENTHOUSE ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Posada Freud reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Posada Freud Hotel
- Posada Freud Playa Del Carmen
- Hotel Posada Freud Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico