“Pefect Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Diamond Riviera Maya by BlueBay

Save Saved
You added Blue Diamond Riviera Maya by BlueBay to your Saves list
Blue Diamond Riviera Maya by BlueBay
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km. 298.8 Carretera #307, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Ranked #35 of 199 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Halifax. NS
“Pefect Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We just returned from a 7 night stay at Blue Diamond, and I have to say that out of the 12 times I have been in Cancun/Maya I will most definitely return to this place. (All of our stays have been at boutique 5 start properties) As everyone else has stated in their reviews this place is perfect in so many ways! We stayed in room 357, a Patio Suite, and it was lovely, although a little far from the beach. The only comment on the room is that the outdoor bathtub/plunge pool was not as we expected and it is not very useful. You have to call someone to fill it up for you, and even though we requested hot water, the water was room temperature. Next time we return we will go for the Palafito room with an upstairs patio.

The food was awesome, although we preferred Aquamarine to Ambar. Breakfasts A++, Lunch A++ (we often ordered from both the ceviche menu and Aquamarine for lunch as there were things on both that we just couldn't get enough of), Dinners were a A. Service was best at breakfast, lunch, the pool/beach, but sometimes lacked at night for dinner and I felt that they may need more staff on for the evening rush. One evening for our anniversary Victor the concierge arranged for a special 6 course meal in our room, we had the opportunity to choose our menu and the chef created the most amazing meal for us. They had a personal server in our room for our full meal, and I must say it was VERY SPECIAL!

I have never been to a hotel in Mexico where the attitude of the employees was so great! Everyone smiles and tries 100% to go out of their way to help and assist you. Everything comes with a response ~ "My Pleasure". Just lovely and so respectful.

I don't want to repeat was so many other travelers have said in the past but I want to recognize the following employees that made our stay so SPECIAL and we will remember for years to come. These employees are the reason we will return to this gem of a hotel!

~ Caesar #1 (he was the first Caesar to work there): This guy is the HARDEST most efficient server I have ever met in my life. He actually would run down the beach to fetch our drinks and food, and would bend over backwards to make you happy and feel special. Blue Diamond Management: This guy deserves many gold stars, you have a GEM!

~ Omar (server at Aquamarine and Ambar)....such an amazing personality and he always made us smile and feel so warm. He worked so hard every time her served us, but always did it with such joy. I will miss his antics forsure!

~ Fernando (AKA Italian in disguise) he was so precise with his cappuccino and lattes and was always made sure they were made perfect! He is one of the sweetest, kindest men I have met in a long time, and a smile that is just contagious. We feel in love with him, and enjoyed him helping us with our Spanish

~ Jesus ~ WOW~ what a supervisor you have there. This guy never missed a beat, and was constantly on top of everything, making sure EVERY guest was happy. He has such a great personality, so funny and so welcoming at the same time. You can tell that the place just runs so much smoother when he is working. Thank-you for all your wonderful pictures!

~ Victor and Omar at the Concierge. Omar was so on top of getting our bicycles for us, and continued to follow-up to ensure we had everything we needed. Victor, is one of a kind, so special, he arranged our anniversary dinner but also went as far as to ensure we had special music for the night and had his own personal CD's brought to the room.

I want to send out another special mention to Caesar #2, Presciliano and Diagoberto. All of these men are amazing workers as well, and so lovely in each a special way.

We used the Haman at the spa numerous times and loved it, we also participated in the Tezemecal ceremony and I am so happy we did....it has left us with memories that we remain forever.

I don't know what to say, except just GO! You will not be disappointed....just get there before the prices get too expensive, as this place can very well go for more then $500 per night. It is as good or better then Banyan Tree, Mayakoba, La Amada (The Beloved), and all the Excellence, Secrets etc.....

I look forward to them having more Bicycles, the boats for transportation among the cenote and lagoon, the art in the courtyards of the suites all working with their proper lights and water features, and some minor upgrades to paint etc when we return this spring :)

Also, one other suggestion for management: Some aroma therapy in the rooms and in the lobby etc would be wonderful (take a look at Aqua in Cancun for some ideas). Also the music around the pool and some speakers on the beach playing some Zen relaxation music would be nice. Also you need to turn the music up just a bit during the day... you could hardly hear it at all in the restaurants.

I CAN'T WAIT TO RETURN!

687 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Blue Diamond is this beautiful small resort where all the staff know you by name. Such a welcome change from all the huge resorts. Rooms large and beautiful . Food awesome!!! Gym and Spa great! Nobody trying to sell you a timeshare. I have never been so relaxed. if you have a chance try the temaczul. It is every Wednesday and Saturday so book ahead of time.Can"t wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Each room has an advantage Paliftios close to beach but smaller and on a lagoon, Cenote Suites on...
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We went for my husbands 50th birthday and we felt like we were royalty staying at the resort. They had us at HOLA!!
Sophia and Jesus at front reception made it so easy and comfortable to get our room and it was ready upon us arriving at 1:00 in the afternoon! We got to the room and on ice was some sparkling wine, stocked fridge and a most stunning room. We had a Patio Junior Suite with the outdoor waterpool!! is was so fabulous! Victor and Mariel the concierge were so kind and helpful, they could not do enough and were genuinely nice people. And Hugo, the Bar tender made the best Mojitos I have ever had. The Xmen at the pool side would do any drink you asked for and enjoyed conversations from all.
This was the best holiday we ever had and was so worth the extra money to have a small and relaxing resort. The resturants had some of the best food you will ever eat and enjoy. They offer a incrediable menu to choose from and the atmospher was so beautiful and chillaxing!!
I just so did not want to leave the resort but we did go into Playa del Carmen, $20 taxi ride is well worth the fair. You have to check out 5th ave, its a street of market venders and retailers, some pushy and others letting u look, but worth the visit.
We only had a short stay, so Victor recommended we go to Tulum to see the reuions and then do the snorkling with the turtles. Such a beautiful experience, Freddie the tour guide and Leo the lion the driver from Ecotours did everything they could to make the experience both fun and knowledgable. I definitely recommend Freddies tour.
I loved the pool and enjoyed the blue ocean and white sand. And the spa you could use the pools and hot tub while we stayed. So I took advantage of the spa and got a message while my husband went big game fishing.
To have a experience that made us feel like a King and Queen would only mean that it is a 5 Star resort in all the services, food and R&R!!
Muchas gracias

Room Tip: Reserve the bikes as soon as you arrive or make a note during your booking, the bikes are fun and ha...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BlueBayBelleVue, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Blue Diamond Riviera Maya by BlueBay, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Lorraine, We thank you sincerely for choosing Blue Diamond Riviera Maya to celebrate your husband's birthday and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.
Warmest regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

After spending 3 weeks in USA, our trip to Playa was one planned only for relaxation & rejuvenation. That is exactly what Blue Diamond offered & without all the wonderful, gracious staff from bell boys, to waiters, to concierge staff & housekeeping this would not have been possible! From the moment we arrived Jorge & Sophie made us feel so welcome & would not let us do a thing! It took a couple of reminders to relax & that we were on holiday for this to really sink in. You are greeted by every single person on the resort, even the grounds staff - with the warmest smile and an "Hola" every day! The Concierge staff Victor, Omar & Jose were very accommodating, the wait staff were just impeccable! So personable, they made every dining experience romantic and not once commented on the amount of food we ate! Jesus, Roman, Cesar, Priscilliano & Araceli were just amazing! This small luxury resort in the absolute spiritual heart of Playa Del Carmen, Mexico is the most unique retreat anyone could ask for! You know you've had the best experience you could ask for when you cry saying goodbye to them all. Most of all Jesus Manuel, one of the bell boys was just the most beautiful soul. We will return to the resort in the future just to see him again & hear of how his children have grown! Your experience will be personal if you allow it! The people are what make this a truly exceptional resort. Keep up the great work and we recommend your next trip away for a tropical getaway MUST BE Blue Diamond in Playa Del Carmen. We miss you all so much & hope to return to see you all again someday!
MUCHAS GRACIAS, Los Australianos Paul y Nadia!!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Paul and Nadia, Please allow me to express my sincere gratefulness for sharing with us this generous comments and for mentioning those members of our team who made a difference and took a great part in creating an unforgettable vacation for you. Thank you for your recommendations, we certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Page, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed at Blue Diamond for our honeymoon in October and we had a wonderful time- we can't wait to go back!! It was everything a honeymoon should be. The resort is beautiful and the staff was incredible. We'd like to note that Cesar at the Ceviche Bar, Jesus- Dining Super, Christian- bartender, and Room Service Gent- Eduardo were awesome, providing superior hospitality and made our stay.

We first stayed in 348, a patio suite with 2 bathrooms, private outdoor tub, and private pool which was situated along the lagoon which is fed by the resorts beautiful Cenote. We really loved this room and how private and romantic it was. For the last few nights of our stay, thanks to Gabriela, we upgraded to one of the Beach Front Casitas. It was equally as amazing and beautiful a room.. but to walk upstairs to your private roof top pool & sunning area or to walk out your door on to the beach was incredible.

The main pool area was nice for relaxing -- but get there early if you want a cabana as they are in demand. Poolside entertainment was a wonderful surprise; it was as varied as a Reggae group to a Prehispanic dance performance but all great. Food wise-- you'll never go hungry; there's a bit of something for everyone; but it didn't quite live up to the superiority of the rest of the resort.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and we definitely hope to go back soon! We highly recommend Blue Diamond and cannot say enough good things.

*Side tip... get out and see the area rich in culture & history while you're there and hook up with "Your Private Tour" out of Playa del Carmen. You will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong. Wowed and pleased by both the Patio Suite and the Beachfront Casita equally.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Katie, We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and your honeymoon at our beautiful resort and we are looking forward welcoming you back in a near future.
Warmest regards.
Arvada, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Since the Tripadvisor ratings of the Blue Diamond were such an important part of my decision to stay at here I feel compelled to add my thoughts.

First of all, this resort is magnificent and exactly the experience that my husband and I were in search of. It's a quiet, peaceful, private couples resort. The lush landscape, cenotes and lagoons are the perfect backdrop. Suites are fantastic and the food, staff and beach, perfecto! The epitome of luxury travel.

I was one of those who agonized over which type of room to select. I love large spaces with a lot of light and so wanted to book a Patio or Patio Jr. Suite. Budget retrained me to the smaller Laguna Suite I was NOT disappointed in the least. Our 2nd floor suite was spacious, comfortable with a beautiful view of the cenote. Pictures will never do it justice but the marble bathroom with dual rainfall showers were amazing. We did have an outdoor tub, which I'd so wanted but ended up never using after all. The Laguna and Cenote suites are the same, with the Laguna suites being closer to the beach, and just adjacent to the Ambar Restaurant.

The food was AMAZING. A few snags here and there with getting the wrong item or a steak undercooked but staff would quickly fix that so that you were completely satisfied. My favorites were the morning juices and poached eggs, lunches at Ceviche with guacamole and margaritas and Havana Club & coke. We enjoyed a night at the Beach BBQ, Mayan Fusion at Aguamarina and two wonderful gourmet meals at Ambar. The soups served were especially delicious. The house wine served was good with my favorite being the Cab/Shriaz blend and we had a couple waiters (Omar) nice enough to simply leave us the bottle to finish up.

Because our room was nearby, my husband and I loved popping up the the rooftop "cigar bar" or M-Bar and were often the only couple up there (and on a couple occasions had to call for a bartender). Cuban cigars & rum made it worthwhile!

We did speak briefly with the Concierge on our second day. I had our excursions off the property already planned and although I appreciated the fact that they were wanting to make sure we were taken care of, I felt that some of his requests for our itinerary, transfers, etc a bit intrusive. I know that they really wanted to get us on a tour of the property in order to introduce us to the Vacation Club which we were not interested in. Easily avoided for the remainder of our trip.

As we learned from the Concierge and from other reviewers is this is still the "soft opening" of the Blue Diamond. I do have the minor complaint that others posted about lags in service. Granted, there wasn't a huge rush (we enjoyed being on Mexican minutes) but sometimes there was a wait. Breakfast service was especially long and we laughed a bit at some of the disorganization of the staff. Since the rooms are spread out you do have to call for things like ice or room service and that often took time or a 2nd call to actually get. One evening, we had a table adjacent to the GM who was talking with an company on implementing a training program which I think will be beneficial to the long term success of this resort. It's certainly not the lack of a hospitable staff...simply an organizational issue.

A couple of staff members who made this trip special--Omar, who waited on us both at Ambar & Aguamarina is SO nice and Cesar who served us both on the beach at at Ceviche was fantastic! We will be back for sure!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid of the smaller Laguna or Cenote suites. They are every bit as luxurious!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We really appreciate your kind words because comments like yours serve to motivate us to continue being better. We are looking forward to having you as our guests again and make every effort to exceed your expectations. Warmest regards.
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

From the time we arrived to the moment we left, my girlfriend and I were continuously impressed with every amazing detail of this resort. The reviews and the pictures only begin to describe the perfection of this place. The grand yet simple elegance of the open-air lobby will immediately transport you to a serene far away world. Beyond you can call for a golf cart to take you around, use bicycles (we preferred to request for the length of our stay), or walk the winding paths though the resort covered by a shaded jungle canopy and beautiful landscaping. I'd recommend taking the time to check out every square inch of the resort as well as trying most everyhing on the menus - you will not be disappointed. Some of the little things that took our breath away ... the beauty of the spacious rooms (especially the open his/hers rainfall showers), the infinity pools, the modern and clean architecture/decor of the buildings and views throughout, the pristine beach, the live entertainment (especially the Mayan dance and reggae band), the interesting and different patio gardens, the meandering lagoon (Coco the crocodile can be seen around 4-5 near the Ambar restaurant) which runs the length of the property are just a few. Definitely a couples resort, this place afforded you privacy and 5-star attention at the same time. The staff was extremely professional and courteous, going to every length to make our stay unparalleled. After spending almost a week there, we felt like family and already miss them. Special thanks go to the two Cesars for attentively making sure our top-shelf drinks were always filled on the beach, to Roman the soft-spoken dinner waiter who always made us smile, to Jesus for making sure the umbrellas always provided us shade during breakfast, to Jose the kind and knowledgeable concierge, and to Omar, Fernando, and Prisciliano whose sincere attention was ever present and a wonderful compliment to the amazing food they always brought to us. It is evident the entire staff of this resort takes pride in their work and loves being there, and as a result, so did we! Without question, one of if not the best place I've ever stayed - the Blue Diamond was absolutely perfecto.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for kind words and for mentioning those members of our team who made a difference and took a great part in creating an unforgettable vacation for you. We trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Been to Blue Diamond Riviera Maya by BlueBay? Share your experiences!