“Great location if you want to party” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Palm at Playa

Save Saved
You added The Palm at Playa to your Saves list
The Palm at Playa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 8 Norte entre 5ta Avenida y 10ma | Manzana 29, Lote 5 Centro, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #81 of 197 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Whitehorse, Canada
“Great location if you want to party”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is beautifully laid out with large loft rooms, huge showers and the most comfortable beds in Mexico! The staff cater to your needs and the turn down service in the evening is lovely, with mood lighting, music and fresh linens. The pool area is gorgeous and not too big, catering to couples. Not for families with kids, it really is for relaxing. A couple of downers... Very expensive drinks which is cause for us not to return ($10 us for a vodka soda!) this is Mexico after all and that is robbery. Also the bar across the street bangs out the music until 5:30 am, so don't plan on sleeping. And one of our friends had his safe opened and money was missing, no a lot but enough that he noticed, not cool!,, it is right in the heart of the action of playa's 5th ave eating/party zone so if you want a comfortable, kid free, clean place close to the action and plan to party all night, this is it. But count your money and buy your own booze and you'll love it!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Juan M, General Manager at The Palm at Playa, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Thank you very much for your review, we appreciate all feedback as it permits us to get better.
We try to maintain our prices competitive and do shop around every month to ensure that we are. Mexico is cheap in some aspects but liquor is heavily taxes and imported liquor that much more. Based on your recommendation we have prepared a drink menu highlighting our local brands that offer quality drinks at a lower price.

We have state of the art locks on our doors as with our safe deposit boxes. If he did not do so, please ask your friend to contact us directly and we will show him the records of entry to ensure that there was no unusual behavior.

Once again thank you for your comments and we hope to see you back here soon.

176 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Buffalo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

This was the first time my husband and I stay in Playa del Carmen and in Mexico in a boutique hotel (ie: not all inclusive).
We travel alot and love high end boutique hotels and this hit the spot.
Excellent location, rooms were beautiful and very spacious.
Roof top pool was private, quite, and perfect. Views were amazing.
Loved Loved Loved this hotel.
Breakfast was delicious and they catered to request!
I am from Miami and this hotel felt like I was back in Miami!
We will return!

Room Tip: We had a large suite that had a balcony that over looked the main street. We slept through the nigh...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Panama City, Panama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I was recently in the Mayan Riviera in September on business and decided to try this hotel out. I arrived by car from Cancun and once in Playa, it could be a little hectic to find, but the streets are in quadrants so after 2 laps, I had found the hotel. I was instantly greeted on the street and told to put the car in the garage which is situated below the hotel.

Check-in was a breeze and the staff, which were not in great numbers but again this is not a major chain hotel, were very kind. The room was clean and spacious with a ginormous shower with dual "rainforest shower heads", nice but in my opinion a little waste of space. The hotel had two restaurants, one at the bottom and the other at the top. Unfortunately, and this goes for all of Playa del Carmen/Cozumel restaurants, you will not find real traditional Mexican food but rather Authentic Mexican food to cater for the mass tourism. Back to the subject, if you decide to eat at the hotel, the prices are fair and I strongly recommend the roof bar/restaurant that was recently opened in September 2013. A young man by the name of Martin attended to my dining experience and was very thorough in explaining their menu and recommending a dish. Hats off to you Martin!

For business, the location is great as you are close to a majority of the stores I needed to visit as well as the ferry that takes you to Cozumel.

The only "negative" comments I do have are the following:

1. The Internet - It is slow for a hotel and the connection was not the best but after expressing this to management, they confirmed they were working on increasing the speed so hopefully by now, guests are experiencing a faster internet.

2. I asked for a 5.45 AM [no typo] wake up call during my stay at the hotel and never received the call from the front desk. In any case, I always have x2 alarms set in the case one mis-fires. It's probably only human error, but should not be overlooked at all.

3. I stayed in room 007 [Mr. Bond] which was on the ground floor and in the back of the hotel, which I liked, as you don't have all the noise from Quinta Avenida. There is a mutual room shared between my hotel room door and that of the neighbors, to which our rooms never connected, but the issue was at night when I would get to sleep, the door to the entrance would often open and close making it difficult to sleep. Next time I will ask for a room in which the door is in the hallway and not behind yet another door.

Overall I gave this hotel 4/5 points as it truly is a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms behind the hotel [away from Quinta Avenida] are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The terrace pool at this property is amazing and the staff are very friendly. Special thanks to Adrian and Carlos for making our afternoons want free! The rooms are also very spacious, take the upgrade to a loft room, it is worth the few extra bucks.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed at The Palm at Playa hotel for 4 nights when we came for the Mi Casa Es Su Casa music festival. We were very pleased overall with the hotel. The free breakfast is amazing - good, rich coffee, a big bowl of fresh tropical fruit, eggs, beans, and potatoes, plus a variety of bread and pastry. The restaurant staff was accommodating too, as my better half wanted just egg whites. I've never had a non-US hotel be so accommodating of special dietary requests.

The food on the rooftop is equally good. We spent an afternoon by the infinity pool, and ordered up some yummy ceviche with our drinks for a snack. The attendant helped us set up the large umbrellas, crucial for me to avoid sunburn.

The front desk staff even helped me to call the local transport company, when the driver was late picking us up to return to the airport. We had already checked out, but the guy at the desk helped me to find out what was happening with our transportation.

The only miss I noticed on the trip -- bed linens weren't changed daily. Normally I'm OK with this, but we had both been on the beach and so any sand that got in the bed lingered there for the duration of our stay. I'd have preferred if housekeeping would at least shake out the linens before remaking the bed.

Overall though, a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the interior are quieter. Skip the juice at breakfast and get the bowl of fruit. You'...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
San Ramon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

From the second we checked in to the walk to the taxi to go to the airport, EVERYONE AT THIS HOTEL TREATED US LIKE WE WERE THE ONLY GUEST IN THE PLACE!

EXAMPLES:
I could not turn on the high tech air conditioning unit, called front desk, they said someone would be to me in two minutes. I thought, "sure". They were there in LSD than two minutes.

Front desk staff super helpful, bell staff could not do enough for you, bar staff kew your favorite drink and exactly the way you liked it and never forgot, waiter at breakfast (which was prepared to your order served with coffee that would make Starbucks jealous) was one of the nicest folks ever. Even the general manager of the hotel would stop to make sure all was well.

Very nice hotel, rooms were beautiful, roof top pool area was right out of Architectural Digest. Steps from all the restaurants on 5th and one block from the water.

Oh and the price was very reasonable. Stay here.

Room Tip: I liked the rooms on interior garden area
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Love, love, love this hotel. Its new, stylish, and modern. Great value, free breakfast and wifi. Its downtown so it can be a bit noisy, but if you're here to party, you wont notice. The rooftop pool is the best, Friday night was ladies night.

• Stayed October 2013

Been to The Palm at Playa? Share your experiences!