“Good Choice, considering the city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Los Itzaes Hotel

Save Saved
You added Los Itzaes Hotel to your Saves list
Los Itzaes Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida 10 Lote 3 Esq. 6 bis, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #73 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Hallandale
“Good Choice, considering the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

I would rank this hotel a solid "good". The room was spacious, very clean, tastefully decorated and comfortable. The negatives were no elevator and on again/off again status for: A/C, TV and one morning the hot water. Most of the time it all worked but on a few occasions there were issues. Then again, it's Mexico. For the price range, it was definitely the nicest place we saw in Playa. It can be a little noisy in the evening due to music from nearby establishments, so earplugs are helpful. The people that were running the hotel were very nice. All in all, I would stay here again. Also, there is a convenience store, internet vendor next door and a lady that makes good empanadas on the corner as well.

Room Tip: Get a room that does not face 10th street
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Lubin, Polska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

Very clean and nice hotel.The staff was also very nice and helpful. I recommend this hotel

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

I hate to say we did not enjoy our stay. I had such high hopes for Los Itzaes because of the TA reviews. But to our dismay, none of them held true.

We were on the third floor - no elevators. So if you have luggage, just plan on this. Tip: travel light so you don't have to lug suitcase up/down 2 flights of stairs with NO air-conditioning.

Rooms, bland and stale. Balcony/patio/terrace - non-existent. The french doors lead to a "balcony" of about 14" by 40".

We had the choice to overlook 10th, which was a view of the rooftops across the street, which were covered in old dirty mattresses, tons of old and broken bottles, and a group of guys that were not "family friendly" types. So gross. So we settled for our other choice, 2nd floor overlooking the "courtyard" which was basically just an empty lot with a few abandoned buildings beyond, harboring some extinct washing machines and other discarded garbage. Such a nice view - not. The rooftop "pool / jacuzzi" (there is no pool, just a big cold tub) is freezing cold. I couldn't understand that, seeing now it was baking in the sun all day, every day. ?? The metal doors leading to it scraped against the concrete with a horrific noise. Etc.

If you don't want quality, quantity or value - stay here. The A/C was stuck on freezing the first night and we had to argue our case for a 2nd blanket. If I ever I cheap out in Playa again, I will pick a hotel on the beach. This is only two blocks back, but a world away from the charm and feel of the appeal of the area.

I didn't even take pics, and I take pics of EVERYTHING. Why bother? I didn't want to remember it. I would never go back, too many nicer properties for the same price on the water or on 5th. Sorry!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Bell City, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

Me and my friend decided to not stay at one of the large all-inclusive resorts but wanted a more intimate experience with the people of Playa del Carmen. We lucked out and picked this charming,clean and centrally located hotel. Located on 10th Avenue just 2 blocks from beach and only 1 block from the busy 5th Avenue. We had a corner Junior Suite that was spacious and lovely filled with lots of natural light from the large doors/windows. The staff was courteous and accommodating. Next to the hotel is a wonderful French bakery. We had a FRESH Almond Croissant every morning and down the street on 10th Avenue is a great little locals-type eating spot called Madrez' that had wonderful grilled Gorditas. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

A fabulous experience, and one of the nicest Hotels in town. Close to everything, safe to walk around even late night. The Wal-Mart was just 3 blocks away to stock up on water and supplies.. Awesome service, very clean and comfy. Loved the roof-top pool. Noone was ever there, so "no tan lines". The pool was a bit cold, but it didn't matter. The weather wasn't very hot, and cooler nights kept the water cool I suppose.
We really enjoyed Los Itzaes, and will be back. I'm a travel agent, and wanted to try something not all-inclusive and I am definitely going to recommend to my tour companies to offer more EP Hotels in Playa del Carmen. So much more affordable than the all inclusives, and the restaurants are wonderful in the area.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

The hotel entryway feels like a courtyard surrounded by hanging gardens and our room had french windows that opened onto a breezy balcony. The shower never warmed up much, but the room was very clean and had a fan and A/C, as well as a mini fridge, a safe, and a blowdryer. The hotel is located close to the Quinta, the beach, and various nightclubs, including the Coco Bongo---good if you want to shop, swim, and enjoy the nightlife--not so great if you need to get a good night's sleep. They don't furnish parking, but we found a free spot just up the block, and there is a pay-to-park lot around the corner.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
bloomington, in
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

My wife and I first stumbled on Los Itzaes about seven years ago when we did a day trip to Playa from Cancun. Since an ice storm was coming in on the weekend, we extended our stay a week and moved to Los Itzaes from Cancun never again to return to Cancun. We stayed there on our trips to Playa for a couple of years and were always very happy with the cleanliness, spaciousness, location and price. We now have a place in Playa, but I just moved to Los Itzaes for three nights since my wife had three friends coming in for a long weekend of bridge. The hotel has lost none of its charm and thev've even added some tables on the rooftop, with a small pool and a view of the lights of Cozumel at night. Finally, the staff (family run, I think) is the same staff that has been there since we first went there and they are competent and friendly. Each room also has a small refrigerator, AC, and cable tv. Unless needs (wants?) a luxury hotel, it's hard to believe you would be disappointed with Los Itzaes.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Been to Los Itzaes Hotel? Share your experiences!