“End Of The World Romantic Venture” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Viceroy Riviera Maya

You added Viceroy Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Viceroy Riviera Maya
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Playa Xcalacoco Frac 7, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico (Formerly The Tides Riviera Maya)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
35% Off Plus $100 Credit
Ranked #23 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Marina del Rey, California
“End Of The World Romantic Venture”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Ahhh, we finally made it back to Viceroy Rivera Maya after a busy year and to visit Tulum for the end of the world watch parties. This time we are visiting after the 2011 renovations were complete and staying in one of the new villas. What is amazing at this Viceroy is the transformational experience after being greeted with a refreshing towel and drink and then escorted to our villa. Our walk immediately transformed us because we traversed a walkway surrounded by jungle vegetation and unique Cenote springs and pools along the way to our villa. During our walk, we immediately forgot we were creatures of the 21st century and began to relax. The approach to our villa still was within the theme. Yet when we entered; Wow, we were both immersed in luxury accommodations but within fantasy jungle surroundings. The new villas are fantastic with a large bathroom area that includes an indoor tub and one indoor and one outdoor shower. (Be sure to ask for the new villas) Our patio included comfortable furniture adjoining our own romantic size pool. Let the relaxation begin after hooking up to the internet of course.
We like the new and or improved dining venues at the resort since our last stay. It was great to see the ocean during all of our meals.
Since we are such foodies, we were looking forward to our meals at the property especially the Street Food night, the Chefs dinner and the Barbeque beach dinner. As usual the food was exceptional. Our meals were memorable especially knowing that “end of the world” was approaching. We loved the fact that the Friday Beach dinner included a “Mayan Fire Dance” group who performed the day before the Mayan calendar end. Please make every effort to ask for the exceptional Mexican wines for your meals because they are great and virtually impossible to find outside of Mexico. Of course we also loved the unique signature drinks of the Viceroy as well.
For our trip to Tulum we asked staff for extra towels and a picnic basket so we could swim at the Tulum beaches. They packed it in our car and off we went for the day. After our long day touring the ruins and beach we returned to Viceroy and immediately began to relax and enjoy a romantic evening.
In fact one day we were so comfortable in our villa that we decided to hang out in it just to take full advantage of our villa and soak in the romantic ambience while we both did a “little work”. We couldn’t help it. We very much enjoyed our day trip to nearby Playa de Carmen for shopping too.
The hotel staff was very attentive and accommodated our requests as you would expect any resort to do.
We highly recommend Viceroy Rivera Maya for a couple who truly desires a unique and memorable romantic setting. We can’t wait to return!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Workaholic C,

Thank you so much for your detailed review!
Your description of the Viceroy Riviera Maya experience is truly terrific. We’re pleased that you appreciate the many new features added during our renovation last year. From the luxurious new villas to our new oceanfront Coral Grill, you took advantage of every opportunity to enjoy yourself!
We hope you are already planning your next visit – it can’t be soon enough for us!

With warm regards,

Viceroy Riviera Maya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Munich, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The hotel has a beautiful common area but that's about it. I booked a luxury villa but ended up having to change rooms as the room smell bad. It's very tired. Apparently there are rooms that are more new and they are called the premier villas. I end up having to change to an ocean front villa that was noisy. Before I changed the butler Alberto told me that the villa is right in front of the main pool and I asked if it would be noisy and he said absolutely not and that nobody has ever mentioned about the noise. He was of course lying through his teeth. The room was gorgeous to look at though but noisy and freezing. The air conditioning blows directly onto the bed so the staff had a canopy set up around the bed. Didn't help so I had to sleep with 2 extra blankets and a towel wrapped around my head. Not a very comfortable experience. Why not adjust the temperature one might ask but even when the temperature is put to 25 degrees it still feels like 18. The staff are very very friendly and I can tell most of them are trying their best but they just don't get it. Good service does not mean coming to ask if everything is okay every five mins. When i put on my shoes they come ask if everything is okay, when I pick up a glass to drink they ask if everything is okay, when I put down my knife and fork to rest they come and asked if everything is okay. It's bloody annoying!!! And yet when you really need something done they are never there. They are also not good with follow up. I often have to ask for something a few times before anything gets done. Turn down service is poor they don't even bother to light the mosquito repellent and I am sure they do not spray the rooms either. One simply cannot relax at this place which is a huge pity as it has all the hardware for it. The beach in front is rocky which is okay as it has a jetty that brings you down to the area that is not rocky and the jetty is very pretty. The water is very wavy though at least when I was there so not entirely good for swimming. They also should have a lifeguard at the beach for solo travelers like me. I hired a car to take me cave snorkeling and to other areas but depending on who you talk to at the concierge the price is very different. This actually is the theme of this hotel, inconsistency!!!! Please do bring you own slippers as they only have rubber flip flops in the rooms which are painful to walk in and the floor in the room is not clean enough to walk barefooted. The food here is very good though I must say but that really is the only good thing about this hotel. some butlers are nicer than the others. hector and louis are very nice. This hotel needs new management training and major refurbishment and maybe it might be habitable in a few years time.

Room Tip: The premier rooms which are more new
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Rubyyao,

We are very sorry that your recent visit did not meet your expectations. Since the grat majority of our guests are truly wowed by our intimate paradise, we found your review both surprising and dissapointing.
As I mentioned you, our entire staff is devoted to ensureing our guests an exceptional experience. But we are equally commited to resolving any issues that guests bring to our attention, in an effort to continually improve our performance on every level.
We have taken immediate steps to address your concerns in detail.
We would love the opportunity to demostrate the full embrance of a meningful Viceroy Riviera Maya experience, and with this in mind, we hope you will visit us again.
With warm regards,

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I spent our honeymoon week at the Viceroy Riviera Maya in October 2012 and it was beautiful! We wanted seclusion with exotic luxury and I believe we found it! The service was impeccable without being stuffy, there were only 3 or 4 other couples there during part of our week, and the weather was great (considering it was hurricane season.) Hector and Pepe made sure all of our needs and wants were met. Hector even surprised us by calling ahead to another restaurant outside of the resort to make sure they knew we were honeymooning, and they had a special romantic dessert prepared for us!

The accommodations are unique and comfortable, and the food exceptional. HOWEVER, unfortunately I got major mosquito bites that made large bruises all over and took weeks to totally heal. The resort DOES provide bug spray and citronella candles for the rooms, but if you go out of your room in the evening make sure you arm yourself with bugspray.

The only other drawback is that the resort is on a rocky shoreline, so if you are looking to wade in shallow beachy surf with soft sand, you'll have to walk down the beach away from the resort. But we felt the service and accommodations make up for that. We highly recommend the Viceroy for a romantic, intimate getaway.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Hllywdgrl70,
As you discovered, our resort is an ideal retreat for Honeymooners, with a staff that always goes the extra mile to assure our guests an exceptional experience. Our cuisine receives rave reviews, and we are glad that you enjoyed it.
In a tropical climate like ours, mosquitos can be present depending on the season - which is why we provide candles and spray when necessary, a solution that works well for most guests.
We hope you are busy planning an anniversary visit!
We look foward with pleasure to seeing you again.
With Warm Regards,

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at this all villa hotel over New Year and apart from the spacious accomodation and friendly service the hotel was poor. The holiday and decor was tired
Food had to be constantly sent back, even boiled eggs which were served almost raw. The housekeeping was inconsistent and the room was left dirty with stale drinking water and only ever partially cleaned, there was no ice and sparse cosmetics There were no cushions for the exterioe sunlongers and chairsThe staff were always prepared to remedy the problems but this involved constast complaining which is not what a holiday is all about Also there was no usable internet in the rooms
This is not a five * hotel more like 3*

Room Tip: Specify newly refurbished(there are only a few)
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I chose the Viceroy for the first part of our honeymoon, and overall found the hotel absolutely stunning and the service impeccable. However, I became ill during the trip, and I'm pretty sure it was something I ate one day at breakfast.

First, the good. We stayed in room 63, a MASSIVE jungle villa. It was very romantic and private, had an outdoor shower, an outdoor pool and dining table, a hammock, an oversized king bed, fresh incense and soap, and turn-down service every night. It was probably the nicest place I have ever stayed, and we've stayed at some beautiful places. We did get some mosquito bites, but nothing major. We sprayed ourselves with mosquito lotion whenever we were outside, and that seemed to do the trick.

We made good use of the spa. I had a massage and facial, and my husband had two massages. Although pricey, there are discounts now and then that are advertised in a free newspaper delivered to your room every morning, so there's a chance you'll be able to get discounted services. I think I got 20-25% off of services now and then. It's a gorgeous spa with a steam room and whirlpool, and the ladies who work there are lovely. Definitely book an appointment if you go.

The pool is clean, gorgeous and spacious; the beach is a bit rocky, but you can still swim in the sea if you want.

I know the hotel is adults-only, but there were a lot of teenagers staying at the property when we were there. Sort of surprised by that.

The service was the best we've ever had, especially on the beach. Pepe and Francisco were wonderful, always asking if we needed anything. One night, we were out at the beach bar, and my husband sneezed, and one of the waitresses overheard him, and brought him a box of tissues! They also have people come around to give you cold towels and wipe your sunglasses. They also step aside to let you pass on the walkways, which I guess is a nice gesture, but I found it strange since we're not the king and queen of England.

They also plan different "theme nights" so you can try new food and whatnot. I'm a vegetarian, and I always had something to eat.

We did the all-inclusive package, which seemed like a good idea, until we got sick; after that, we didn't really eat or drink much. The package includes pretty much all drinks and food. It was nice to not have to worry about our spending, since we had paid upfront for the package. We tipped the staff who we felt went above and beyond, but know that you are automatically charged a tip when you dine and so forth. (I can't remember the exact percentage.)

When we first arrived at the resort, I overheard a guest say that she got ill and was worried about being sick on her flight back home. I don't know what her situation was and if she dined at the resort or not, but I remember thinking, "Uh-oh..."

Several days later after eating breakfast, I became very, very, very ill -- the sickest I can ever remember being. I won't go into details, but it was not pretty. I spent two days in our room on our honeymoon, unable to eat or drink much. Then, my husband became sick. He wasn't as sick as me, but he also became ill. Who knows why we got sick or how we got sick, but we made an effort to only drink bottled water, and both of us were healthy until we arrived at the resort. It's also worth mentioning that we didn't leave the resort to dine elsewhere. It was a shame because when we arrived, we were excited to be at such a beautiful hotel on our honeymoon, but after getting sick, we knew we would never return.

Room Tip: Stay in room 63. Private with outdoor rain shower.
Dear Littlelotte617,
There is nothing more important to us than the health and well being of our guests, and to that end, we practice the highest standards of safety and sanitation in food preparation. In investigating this matter, we found no other reports of illness during your stay, but we're very sorry that your visit was affected by this unfortunate incident.
We hope you'll consider returning to experience the many things that you truly loved about our resorts - from the stunning villas to the impeccable service.
With Warm Regards,

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

An excellent hotel albeit in need of a facelift in some of the villa's. Go for a new Jungle Villa, despite no ocean view, they offer more privacy, larger indoor/outdoor space, private plunge pool, however our toilet was a bit smelly and nearly overflowed! The food is very good, but with incl tip and tax not cheap, and town, whilst close, is still a us$20 cab ride each way. Thankfully the resort has its own jetty to get you out into the sea away from the limestone reef on the shoreline. Service is exceptional, but not a cheap resort.

Room Tip: Jungle Villa's
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I had read the other reviews and expected paradise. Maybe I'm jaded but for over 12,000 US dollars for 2 villa for 5 nights I really expected a lot. I will say you will not meet a nicer group of people. Everyone was very helpful.
I was a little disappointed. We had request rooms near our children and were placed a oppositeends of the hotels. Though they were pleasant no attempt was made to honor our request. The hotel is built in a jungle setting so be ready to commune with the insects. The water from the taps is not clean so you have to purchase bottled water to drink. They do provide pitchers of water they have purified themselves at the bedside but I expected more for over 1000 dollars a night.. The beach is small but white sand. You can not swim from the beach as the reef extends all the way to the shore. You need to walk about 100 feet down the beach to find a swimming area from the beach. They do provide a dock from the beach you can walk down and enter the water.
Right next to the hotel is a rather lower budget hotel with a loud disco that plays until late in the evening.
There are two restaurants. I am a bit of a food snob being from NYC and was pretty unimpressed with the food and again it was pretty expensive ie over 350 for a dinner for 4, 150 for breakfast for 4.
I would recommend this hotel in the lower price season but I don't think it is worth it in peak season.

Room Tip: Request a room closer to the beach or near the spa. It is a long walk to the beach and restaurant if...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Viceroy Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!