“Illness overshadowed wonderful holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Viceroy Riviera Maya

You added Viceroy Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Viceroy Riviera Maya
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Playa Xcalacoco Frac 7, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico (Formerly The Tides Riviera Maya)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
35% Off + $100 Credit
Ranked #24 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
NYC
“Illness overshadowed wonderful holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I chose the Viceroy for the first part of our honeymoon, and overall found the hotel absolutely stunning and the service impeccable. However, I became ill during the trip, and I'm pretty sure it was something I ate one day at breakfast.

First, the good. We stayed in room 63, a MASSIVE jungle villa. It was very romantic and private, had an outdoor shower, an outdoor pool and dining table, a hammock, an oversized king bed, fresh incense and soap, and turn-down service every night. It was probably the nicest place I have ever stayed, and we've stayed at some beautiful places. We did get some mosquito bites, but nothing major. We sprayed ourselves with mosquito lotion whenever we were outside, and that seemed to do the trick.

We made good use of the spa. I had a massage and facial, and my husband had two massages. Although pricey, there are discounts now and then that are advertised in a free newspaper delivered to your room every morning, so there's a chance you'll be able to get discounted services. I think I got 20-25% off of services now and then. It's a gorgeous spa with a steam room and whirlpool, and the ladies who work there are lovely. Definitely book an appointment if you go.

The pool is clean, gorgeous and spacious; the beach is a bit rocky, but you can still swim in the sea if you want.

I know the hotel is adults-only, but there were a lot of teenagers staying at the property when we were there. Sort of surprised by that.

The service was the best we've ever had, especially on the beach. Pepe and Francisco were wonderful, always asking if we needed anything. One night, we were out at the beach bar, and my husband sneezed, and one of the waitresses overheard him, and brought him a box of tissues! They also have people come around to give you cold towels and wipe your sunglasses. They also step aside to let you pass on the walkways, which I guess is a nice gesture, but I found it strange since we're not the king and queen of England.

They also plan different "theme nights" so you can try new food and whatnot. I'm a vegetarian, and I always had something to eat.

We did the all-inclusive package, which seemed like a good idea, until we got sick; after that, we didn't really eat or drink much. The package includes pretty much all drinks and food. It was nice to not have to worry about our spending, since we had paid upfront for the package. We tipped the staff who we felt went above and beyond, but know that you are automatically charged a tip when you dine and so forth. (I can't remember the exact percentage.)

When we first arrived at the resort, I overheard a guest say that she got ill and was worried about being sick on her flight back home. I don't know what her situation was and if she dined at the resort or not, but I remember thinking, "Uh-oh..."

Several days later after eating breakfast, I became very, very, very ill -- the sickest I can ever remember being. I won't go into details, but it was not pretty. I spent two days in our room on our honeymoon, unable to eat or drink much. Then, my husband became sick. He wasn't as sick as me, but he also became ill. Who knows why we got sick or how we got sick, but we made an effort to only drink bottled water, and both of us were healthy until we arrived at the resort. It's also worth mentioning that we didn't leave the resort to dine elsewhere. It was a shame because when we arrived, we were excited to be at such a beautiful hotel on our honeymoon, but after getting sick, we knew we would never return.

Room Tip: Stay in room 63. Private with outdoor rain shower.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Littlelotte617,
There is nothing more important to us than the health and well being of our guests, and to that end, we practice the highest standards of safety and sanitation in food preparation. In investigating this matter, we found no other reports of illness during your stay, but we're very sorry that your visit was affected by this unfortunate incident.
We hope you'll consider returning to experience the many things that you truly loved about our resorts - from the stunning villas to the impeccable service.
With Warm Regards,

Pedro Lara
Viceroy Riviera Maya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

An excellent hotel albeit in need of a facelift in some of the villa's. Go for a new Jungle Villa, despite no ocean view, they offer more privacy, larger indoor/outdoor space, private plunge pool, however our toilet was a bit smelly and nearly overflowed! The food is very good, but with incl tip and tax not cheap, and town, whilst close, is still a us$20 cab ride each way. Thankfully the resort has its own jetty to get you out into the sea away from the limestone reef on the shoreline. Service is exceptional, but not a cheap resort.

Room Tip: Jungle Villa's
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I had read the other reviews and expected paradise. Maybe I'm jaded but for over 12,000 US dollars for 2 villa for 5 nights I really expected a lot. I will say you will not meet a nicer group of people. Everyone was very helpful.
I was a little disappointed. We had request rooms near our children and were placed a oppositeends of the hotels. Though they were pleasant no attempt was made to honor our request. The hotel is built in a jungle setting so be ready to commune with the insects. The water from the taps is not clean so you have to purchase bottled water to drink. They do provide pitchers of water they have purified themselves at the bedside but I expected more for over 1000 dollars a night.. The beach is small but white sand. You can not swim from the beach as the reef extends all the way to the shore. You need to walk about 100 feet down the beach to find a swimming area from the beach. They do provide a dock from the beach you can walk down and enter the water.
Right next to the hotel is a rather lower budget hotel with a loud disco that plays until late in the evening.
There are two restaurants. I am a bit of a food snob being from NYC and was pretty unimpressed with the food and again it was pretty expensive ie over 350 for a dinner for 4, 150 for breakfast for 4.
I would recommend this hotel in the lower price season but I don't think it is worth it in peak season.

Room Tip: Request a room closer to the beach or near the spa. It is a long walk to the beach and restaurant if...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

In a word - excellent. We spent the first few days of our honeymoon at the Viceroy and loved it.

Its fairly boutique and the beach setting is perfect. There are 2 restaurants, both excellent. Staff are extremely friendly and very attentive.

Whilst the price is not low the experience is top shelf and exudes a certain effortless luxury.

You'll need to take a cab/car to town. But seriously you won't want to leave this little sanctuary.

• Stayed July 2012
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My fiancé and I stayed in one of the beautiful villas with a partial ocean view and every morning it was like waking up in a dream. The staff were wonderful, the food was excellent, the jungle setting is unique, and the location is perfect! Playa del Carmen and Cozumel are both so close allowing for a number of great local activities. With a private pier that juts into the ocean, perfect for a late night swim or a romantic time watching sunset, Viceroy Riviera Maya clearly stands out among the rest. The pool is beautiful as well, with a phenomenal ocean view that makes you feel like you're sitting on the horizon. The staff is truly what sets this place apart. Hector was phenomenal and took care of us every step of the way, Fausto was a great bartender to share stories and laughter with at night, but EVERY single person there was a pleasure! And you must try one of the outdoor spa treatments! What a delight!

Chicago area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed three nights in December after spending 3 nights at the Jashita in Tulum. Our trip started a bit rocky but ended well. The place is a bit hard to find--but you just keep following the signs and you'll eventually get there. When we arrived we got a cold face towel to freshen up and a cold fruit drink while we were showed the property. We started the tour with some sort of Mayan ritual by the spa--where someone passed incense around my wife and I for a minute or two. It was suppose to cleanse our spirit or something like that--it was OK, but not exactly my cup of tea.

The place is really unusual, but all the casitas are in the middle of this incredibly dense rain forest. I don't see how they could do that naturally so I assume it was all recreated from scratch--but it's really dense and realistic, including some big waterfalls, etc. There is a family of spider monkeys living in the trees. Our casita was really big and beautiful. The workmanship was terrific--five inch thick sliding wood doors, etc. We had an outdoor plunge pool, hammock, indoor and separate outdoor shower, and even a walk in closet. The bed was beautiful--a super high ceiling--just beautiful.

The downside started when the incense smell from the Mayan ritual experience wore off and we started smelling mold/mildew in the room. I think the forest is so thick--there is no air movement and the rooms can get stale. We ultimately called management and they showed us a second room (same problem, so we stayed with the first room). We decided to tackle the problem the next day. But they called about bedtime and said they found a better room that we could sleep in for just that night--it was nearer the ocean, so out of the forest and the room was fresher. We went there and it was fine. They also put a dehumidifier in the room to make sure the excess moisture was taken care of. The manager found us the next day and asked about the "new" room--we said it was fine, and he said we could stay there for the rest of our stay. (I'm sure it was more money as it was ocean front). They even volunteered to move all our clothes for us--they moved our stuff, folded and put our things in the closest, etc. (Great service).

We spent each day on the beach--they were great at setting up towels on the lounge chairs--they have nicely shaded (or not) chairs and lounges on the beach. The staff remembered our names each day and services was extremely attentive. We ate our meals at the beach restaurant--it was a little more casual and met our needs. Service was good there too--again, the staff always remember your name. The food was quite good. The pool is beautiful as are the grounds. We also used the steam room at the spa--it was perfect on the womans side but super hot on the mens side. The gym was good too.

One small thing that kind of bothered us--when you walk down the main sidewalk thru the forest area, if you meet a staff member they stop, step aside for you and kind of turn toward you. There really isn't any need for them to do this, b/c the sidewalks are plenty wide--I think it's just to be respectful to the guests. It reminded us of a One and Only Pamilla--where the staff stop, turn to you and deeply bow as you walk by. The whole thing is a bit wierd to me--a little dark ages. Other than that the staff is great.

Overall the place has a great feel, service is great, the rooms are great--but I'm not sure the super dense rain forest is such a great thing. I kept thinking the place might be awful if their is a buggy season. We had problems with our first two rooms, but they recovered very well and make sure we were happy.

Amelia Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Our families "bought out" this 41-room resort for my son's wedding. It's a top tier resort with all the amenities - huge, lovely rooms with outdoor patios, a plunge pool and outdoor (and indoor) shower in each villa. Extras like a hammock and handmade soaps were a plus. Staff was abundant and very attentive, going out of their way to help me with my special diet needs. Food was excellent, although we didn't try the fine-dining restaurant. Our guests were enthusiastic about the spa facilities -- jacuzzi and steam room (free) and massage services. The coordinator for the wedding, Laura Reyes, was a treasure. Yes, it was pricey but well worth it for an extra-special event or vacation.

Room Tip: We asked for a room (#61) away from the beach because we knew that noisy post-wedding partying would...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Viceroy Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!