“Awesome!!!!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Real Playa del Carmen

Save Saved
You added Real Playa del Carmen to your Saves list
Real Playa del Carmen
2.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   5th Avenue between 34th & 38th Sts, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #130 of 197 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Quebec City, Canada
“Awesome!!!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Well,
This was my fourth trip in an all inclusive resort, and by far the best one. The hotel itself is located right on fifth avenue, fifth avenue is where all the action is....Although the hotel is located at the beginning of the street so it's still quiet. The hotel building does need a little upgrade in some places, but hey! I've seen a lot worse in Cuba! The food was quite all-right! obviously it's not a 5 star resort....so don't expect to eat lobster every night!. The breakfast were great, Antonio the cook that does the omelets is excellent and very nice! Lunch and dinner were also good, there was fish everyday, pasta, meat, and an assortment of salads. But what makes this hotel great!!!! is without a doubt their staff. The service staff at the buffet was simply awesome; Sonia, Cristabel, Norma and Flor (the boom boom team....la gente esta muy loca). These wonderful ladies gave me the best service I had in a long time....My girlfriend and I really enjoyed talking to them everyday. Furthermore, the bartenders and waiters were also tremendous; Eduarto, Adrian and Freddy....I'm sure I'm forgetting a few names here (sorry). The front desk team also did a marvelous job and were always very helpful; Cenobio, Jesus Erick, and Ingrid. The best time I had was at the beach bar, sure the beach bar is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel, and it isn't located in the best part of the beach......who cares! When your on vacation and the only thing you have to do is walk to the beach club.....come on! ( there's always the shuttle). The beach Bar is open from 10 am to 5 pm, you can also eat chips and salsa there( the salsa is great). The bartenders, starting with my buddy Guadalupe, are the best, they make excellent drinks, mojitos, daquiris, mudslides, cuba libres,tequilla sunrises, you name it, they got it. I spent 10 straight days at the beach club and got to know Guadalupe and Montero pretty well, they are great lads. (los vatos locos lol!!!!).....All in all, i would definitely go back in a heartbeat! I forgot to add a special thanx to the animation team...........you guys rock!!1

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Playa04, Manager at Real Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Great and improtant for us your experience with us and also we continuo improving our service and facilities. We hope that you are coming back again soon, this is your home. Best Regards

936 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Polish first
Belleville, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I'm not even going to get into how my traveling companion was assaulted, robbed, terrorized and almost raped on the beach, and not by bandits, but by Mexican police because that's not the hotels fault. But the way they treated us definitely is. They told us upon checkout they upgraded our room at no extra charge, I'd hate to see the original because this one was awful. Food was the worst I've ever experienced at a resort and I've been to Cuba! We had to mop up a coffee spill with a towel and they charged us 9 dollars for the towel because it was "dirty"! There was something dead in the garden outside our room which caused us to have to hold our breath going in and out of the room so as not to vomit. The pool was filthy, lounge chairs they leave in the shallow part were so covered in algae. Only two towels and one hand towel supplied in the room. No face cloths, not even somewhere to hang empty towels. No drawers to store clothes, we lived out of the suitcase for a week. Only 4 hangers in the closet. The walk to the beach was about a half mile through the main shopping street, which we called "The Gauntlet" because the catcalls and harassment each time we walked through was unrelenting. And the shade covers over the lounge chairs at the beach were rather transparent and only blocked about 10% of the sun. The beach was built up on sandbags and was one of the worst beaches I've seen anywhere. When my friend was attacked and made it back to the hotel, they wouldn't let her companion walk her to our room because he didn't have a bracelet for our resort. So she had to make her way to our room in the dark after her horrific experience. I'm just still so upset I'm barely making sense but I will never set foot in that place again.

Room Tip: Don't even think about it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
We really apologize if we could not exceed ypur expectations, and all your comments are improtant for us, to change and improve. Thank you again for your time and please accpet our apoligies. Best Regards
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just spent a week at Playa Real. I found the hotel to be great value for the money. The rooms were neat, very clean ( thank you Josefina), the grounds spotless, and the staff very accomodating.

The restaurant and bar staff were amazing Especially the morning - to early afternoon crew. Norma, Cristabel, Sonia, Fredi all were amazing.

The breakfast and lunch meals were great with the evening meal being ok. The entertainment crew did well with limited resources.

The only limiting factors were the front desk crew which was efficient but not overly helpful or friendly. And the beach club was a good walk from the hotel. But who doesn't enjoy a walk on the beach.

The location on the edge of 5th Ave is great as it gives you lots of opportunities for shopping or going out in the evening.

Room Tip: Expectation management: This is a solid 3 star hotel. Do not expect luxury accomodations. These are...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Your time and comments motivate us to continuo, and doing everytthing with love and entusiasm. We hope that you are coming back sonn and recommend us. Best Regards, and this is your home.
South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We recently stayed at a sister resort of the Real Playa Del Carmen, our resort uses the same "beach club' as the folks who stay at the Real,during the day we were witness to the Real's entertainment teams non-stop activities and interactions with their guest. Daniel and his two female sidekicks were enthusiastic,energetic,encouraging and most of all friendly and fun! Even though we were guests of a sister resort of the Real ,Daniel and his staff invited us back to the Real to enjoy the evening show. The show was fantastic! A mix of drama,comedy and just plain ole fun ! We enjoyed the antics of this troupe and appreciated how much work it must be to entertain with games and water sports all day on the beach and then go back to the resort and put on a full blown show complete with costumes,props,music and live action! How fortunate for the guests of the Real Playa Del Carmen to have such talented and committed entertainment team. Standing ovation to you Daniel and your girls !
Thanks again Daniel for inviting us !

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much indeed for your comments, all your experience is so important for us. We really hope thatr you are coming back again soon. Best Regards.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We went to my sisters wedding in May2012. Tilo the bell boy was of great help. I didn't like the room we had been assigned to as it was not what i had requested, so I paid extra and got a better room. Tilo helped us move and showed us various styles. I thank-you Tilo for making our trip better. Your hospitality and kindness and eagerness to ensure our customer satisfaction is admirable. I hope your employer recognizes what you have to offer. :) We will come and visit again... Maybe we will see you at the Royal.. as that is hopefully our next trip.. Justin and Trina

Room Tip: We went to my sisters wedding in May2012. Tilo the bell boy was of great help. I didn't like t...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Lloydminster, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I would like to start off by saying that this trip was my first trip out of my country Canada, and that before going I did ALOT of research before deciding to come here, as this could well be the only vacation I take for years as I dont make alot of money to vacation often. The following review is going to be long and in depth, unbiased and from someone who values every dollar they have as I don't have many, so if long reads aren't your thing, you may want to skip this one.

My original reasons for choosing this hotel for my vacation was based on 2 simple things:
1. Price
2. Service
What originally attracted me to this hotel was the fact that in most of the reviews, even the bad ones, people had alot of good things to say about the staff. I was fully convinced that upon arriving at this destination while only being a 3 1/2 star property, I was going to be blown away by the fabulous service and friendliness of the staff. But what really attracted my attention, was their upgraded master suite which gave us access to not only their facilities, but also those of it's 5 star sister hotel down the street, To book at their sister hotel, the Gran Porto Real, it was going to cost me about $400 per person more than what booking with this hotel was going to cost, and the only difference was that I was going to be sleeping at this hotel instead, so for me it was a no brainer. Cheaper price, and the benefit of 2 locations instead of one. It all sounded so good....unfortunately, as it goes, most things that seem to good to be true end up being that way.

Lets start with my arrival. Upon arriving at the hotel we were quickly checked in and given our wristbands to signify our all inclusive with both the real playa del carmen and the gran porto real. This went pretty well, and after we were done a bellboy helped us to our room with our luggage. This is where minor problems began. Upon getting to our room he hastily showed us how the safe worked and it was after I asked a few questions to be sure I understood, that I realized the guy didn't speak a word of english. After a few uncomfortable attempts at trying to understand one another I simply gave him a few bucks and dismissed him, still unsure of how the safe worked and feeling very uncomfortable with the code he had left us with which was 1234.

The room itself was very lackluster for what was supposed to be the grand room of their hotel, clean but very old and unmaintained. The pictures they present on their website are VERY misleading and overall it was a huge disappointment for me. The mini-fridge.....if you could call it that.....was barely functional. The drinks inside were lightly chilled at best, and it was painfully obvious it was on it's last legs. The bathroom, along with the shower within, were also very disappointing, and upon use we found the showerhead had maybe 8 or 9 functioning jets of water, most of which sprayed in many different directions from the caked on lime and calcium. It was obvious the showerhead hadn't be cleaned in years. The room's description also was inaccurate with what it provided, as it stated it came with a coffee maker, dvd player and cd player.....none of which were present.

We had arrived later in the day around 5 or 6 pm and were a little tired from the drive to Edmonton International (I live 2 hours away) and the wait prior to and during the flight, so we decided to grin and bear it for the time being, and hit the buffet for some supper before bed. Again, I found myself feeling uncomfortable as it became apparent that most of the waitresses working also did not understand or speak much english, and seemed hesitant to have any real interaction with us. After a quick bite we decided to go to bed and see how things would be in the morning.

Upon waking up the next day, we went to the buffet again for breakfast and were happy to find a decent selection of items, as well as a station where you could create your own omelet by selecting a variety of things like mushroom, ham, peppers, onion, ect ect and then giving them to the cook on duty beside this station to fry up and put into your omelet. After what was a pretty good breakfast, we asked if we could each get a bottled water as we were going to go out onto 5th ave for some shopping and had drank the water in our fridge the night before. This is where things got heated. I was told by a staff member that bottled water, outside of what we received in our fridge was not a part of our all-inclusive plan. I flew into a rage....in a country where it's water is sketchy at best, bottled water should be made readily available at all times, and I made this point very clear and after a bit of arguing was given 2 bottles.

After this unpleasant experience, I went to the front desk to make mention of the missing things our room was supposed to have, as well as the poor condition of the shower and fridge, and was told they would be remedied ASAP. Happy with that we proceeded out to 5th for some shopping. When we returned to the room, we found that a coffee maker had been brought, but that the dvd player, cd player had not, and that the fridge was still running the same and shower had not been cleaned. I found this a little irritating but decided that since I was not likely to need the dvd or cd players, and that the fridge was able to chill the new drinks that had been put in enough as not to be warm, that I'd just deal with it. The next morning upon trying to use the coffee maker, we discovered it did not work. When I called to the front desk they said they would bring a replacement and was soon met with another completely non-english speaking maid with a new one. This one worked, but we were then dismayed to find the coffee that came with it was literally tasteless......and for the rest of the trip, after trying it 3 times, we just gave up on having coffee made in our room.

The room did however have 2 good points, and they are important ones:
1. The bed was very large and incredibly comfortable
2. The air conditioner was AMAZING as it was whisper quiet and worked REALLY well
These 2 things were enough to make at least being in the room of the hotel somewhat pleasant.

As for the rest, the staff I did try to take the time to talk to seemed very uninterested in talking to me, even when I showed interest in maybe learning some spanish, and alot of the time I felt like my presence to them was more of an annoyance than anything. What upset me the most, is I had read so many good things about specific people, like Eduardo the bartender in the main lobby, yet even when trying to strike up conversation with him, things just fell flat. And whats worse, it's not like I didn't tip or anything either. Each time I ordered a drink, or received a service of any kind (a waitress clearing our table or bringing us drinks, leaving money on the pillow for the housekeeper ect ect) I made sure to give them at least a buck or 2. Yet the only time I noticed that even being free with my money in this manner made any difference, was when I gave the guy making omelets a buck because I thought it was really unfair that this guy made such great breakfasts every morning and never got any tips or anything from the other guests (at least as far as I saw). In that instance, when I tipped him I got a polite smile and a Gracias. But even there, that's where conversation ended.

My feelings of being a substandard guest were soon compounded when mid-week, the neat little towel animals they leave you on your bed stopped being made, and even when leaving $5 and $6 in hopes it would rectify the situation, I would still come back to the room at night with no towel animals on the bed. Perhaps this isn't important for the stay, but it did add a nice little flare of excitement before getting back in after your room was cleaned, and yet here I was robbed of even that small pleasure.

The one ray of light in this hotel however, came from our Best Day Representative, Edgar Silva who I have to say was phenomenal in his assistance to us with both helping us decide on excursions, and just generally being an all round great guy to talk to. He also was a tremendous help when our son was having trouble contacting the hotel by allowing us to use his computer and cellphone to avoid the costly charges of the front desk to call home so that we could figure out what was going wrong. Unfortunately, with the many excursions we were doing, the times we were able to sit and talk with him when he wasn't busy were far to short, and I was disappointed that we couldn't get to know him a little better.

After 2 or 3 days of the same thing, we just gave up completely on where we were staying, keeping to ourselves most of the time, and by filling our days with the many excursions you can do and by going to the 5 star hotel we had access to down the street. The rare times we were around the hotel, we filled the time by either being in our room or by talking with our Best Day Rep Edgar. We didn't bother with the pool, as it was VERY small and often filled with other guests playing volleyball, or by kids playing together in it.

Simply put, this hotel was a bad choice for us. The other hotel we had access to, The Gran Porto Real however, where we had all inclusive privilege as well, was a completely different story. There the staff was more along the lines of what I was expecting here to be like, and so this is where we spent the majority of our time when not on excursions. The 2 ala carte restaurants in that hotel were also VERY good, and at the italian one, we had what I would say was the best salmon we have ever tasted.

If I had not gotten the upgraded room at this hotel, I feel our vacation could well have been a complete disaster in terms of places to eat, and people to talk to. After the first 2 or 3 days, we just plum gave up on trying to interact with staff here at all and it got to the point where the only time we were even ever there, was to sleep or eat. And even then, the only times we ate at this hotel was during the morning, and there was still 2 or 3 times that we STILL opted to go to the Gran Porto instead during this time, just because of the far better service.

The bitterness was further compounded when it came time to check out, and we were told we had a $10 phone bill to pay for calls to canada when I specifically asked the front desk to call collect each time that we did call.

So to summarize, I would never book here again, even with the upgraded room just because of how poor the quality of the staff's interest in serving or knowing you is. Save yourself the trouble and disappointment by spending the extra money to book the Gran Porto or Royal instead, you'll enjoy yourself a whole lot more and actually get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Upgraded rooms give access to the better 5 star hotel down the street, and have good AC.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
First of all, we thank you your time and comments, and it is so important for us your experience, to change and improve. Best Regards.
Derby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

the rooms were old fashioned and the shower was not the best. The towels were clean as was the room every day. but the staff and entertanment was fantastic we were taught spanish every morn and watched a show every night would i go again to right

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Playa04, Manager at Real Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you very much indeed for your time and comments, they are so important for us to continuo improving facilities and service. We really hope that you are coming back again soon. Best Regards

Been to Real Playa del Carmen? Share your experiences!