“Just about anything eatable...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurante La Fragata Bistrot

Restaurante La Fragata Bistrot
Calle 26 Norte S/N | Entre 1ra Avenida y 5ta Avenida Colonia Centro, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico
+52 984 879 4896
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #171 of 842 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: Italian, French, Mexican, International, Bistro
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Recognized by locals and travelers from all around the world for its unique Taste,Good atmosphere and Friendly service, La Fragata is the place for those in search of a gourmet lunch or dinner with the home made touch, fresh and local ingredients and great flavor. We have recently expanded our dining room and terrace. We have room for Groups & Events ... National Geographic Traveler Magazine and one of the worlds most beloved Chefs: Jacques Pepin recommend us for our Fish Tacos, The best in Playa.
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“Just about anything eatable...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Yesterday, we walked again a few blocks to La Fragata. The specials are probably the best for the prize in all of Playa. The fish tacos are not your usual thin bit of filet... but a nice 1 inch thickness, served with fresh veggies on a tortilla... We started with a smooth gazpacho [super fresh], then the fish tacos, and a heavenly desert: isla flotanda [floating island?] I need to know how to do this and make it look as beautiful, but it cannot taste the same as in this smiling atmosphere.

• Visited September 2013

New York City, New York
“Wow. Excellent Shrimp Tacos!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Last night I visited the unpretentious La Fragata. The service was excellent, but the fish tacos were sublime. I ordered the grilled shrimp in both corn and flour tortillas. The corn was better, I think. Everything was seasoned to perfection & included a choice of a chipotle & or cilantro sauce. With the house white, my meal, w/ 20% propina, came to 11US.

Visited July 2013
Manitoulin Island
“Excellent fare at great prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I thought I had discovered Playa's best restaurant. I discovered I wasn't alone when world famous chef Jacques Pépin and his wife showed up at the table next to us; ...yet again!

• Visited February 2013
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“A wonderful discovery.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We have wanted to try this little restaurant for some time and just never got there, finally we took friends for dinner last night and what a wonderful surprise. `This was one of the best meals I have had in Playa and definitely the most creative and sophisticated presentation. The prices were reasonable, the menu offered a wide variety of choices and the service was excellent. It is a nice relaxed atmosphere devoid of the slick chrome and glass we see in so many of the restaurants in town. The caprese salad was delicious and very creatively plated as were the guacamole, which my husband loved, and the main dishes. The lunch special is a must and very affordable. This will definitely be one of our "go to" places from now on.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Los Angeles, California
“Surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

The restaurant is only 2 blocks from our hotel, but we didn't notice it until yesterday afternoon when we were walking around the neighborhood. Unlike the noisy, pushy behavior of workers at restaurants on 5th, there was no one out front to pull us into the place. But the gentle, believability of the woman/owner once we stepped off the street, convinced me to come back for dinner. We were delighted by the wonderful food,, all freshly made to gourmet standards. I'll be back!

• Visited June 2013