We stayed at Paradisus for 10 nights in early December - we had 2 rooms - 1 for grandparents and 1 for our family of 5 - 2 kids - ages 4 and 9 and 1.5 y/o baby. Olympus tours delivered us to the resort really quickly in a private van and we were swiftly escorted to the magnificent lobby, where we were met with cold purple-colored drinks for adults and some juice for the kids. Made us feel like we were on vacation immediately. The check-in was a breeze, but the 2nd room was not ready until 3pm - no biggies as we went and checked out the other room, freshened up and went to grab some lunch.
Food - One word - unbelievable! Right from the beginning, having our first meal at the resort, we knew that we are in for a treat. I LOVED an option to order my entree a-la-carte during lunch at THE MARKET. We dined at MOLE 3 times, and the 3rd time we were there, the chef prepared a special meal for us that would satisfy the toughest critics. We didn't dine at the buffet at all, since we do prefer to have a sit down dinner, but walked through the buffet at dinner time, and the food looked delicious. We never had any problems making reservations for a large group (7 to 9 people) around 7pm at all. The grill right by the beach during lunch time was our kids favorite. The burgers, hot dogs, and the chicken (though sometimes slightly undercooked) were delicious. We only dined without the kids once - at Fuego, and again, the food was outstanding. The sushi at Bana were delicious and the drinks were out of this world. One of my favorites were the martinis at the Fuego bar that would easily cost over $10 in any restaurant in Chicago.
I did, however, was slightly disappointed with service during breakfast time at the buffet - it was very spotty - some days we would wait for a very long time to get our champagne and coffee. There was vodka and tomato juice always there at the buffet, why can't there be champagne, so that people can serve themselves at breakfast? Also, there seemed to be a shortage of highchairs during the busiest time - breakfast.
I understand that part of the resort is for adults only, however, Bana is available for families with kids until 8pm. Why can't this rule apply to all of the restaurants, especially since we need to parade through most of the adult side of the resort to get to Bana? My kids would gladly try THE GRILL.
Night time entertainment was fairly good as well - the kids enjoyed the circus. Belly dancers were great as well. However, since there is no dedicated theater, the performance areas would get a bit crowded.
The rooms were big and very comfortable. We had a roll-away bed as well as the crib, and we still had plenty of room to move around. The bathroom was spacious and the rain shower was great. The fridge was restocked every day and having little snacks available in the room was a very thoughtful move.
The beach - it is very private and not very big. The ocean is great, but rocky in places, which was not a problem, as the water is very clear and one can clearly see the rocks. Some beds were reserved early in the morning, but even people that came later in the morning didn't seem to have any problems locating an available lounger.
Although we didn't stay in the family concierge area, my kids loved all the little treats like shaved ice and cotton candy (and more candy than the candy shop), and the adults enjoyed the self-serve espresso in the lobby- a nice afternoon pick-me-up (although all the bars had espresso and coffee drinks). The pool is awesome - it provided hours of fun for the younger kids (the pirate ship) and the wibit was fun for the older ones. We never had any problems with bali beds or the lounges in the pool and the bar/snack service (the ceviches were outstanding) was great!
Overall, it was a fantastic resort and can't wait to come back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in a stunning little bay, Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda is the superior luxury family-friendly resort in the Riviera Maya, combining a prestigious Caribbean setting with world-class facilities, including Family Concierge, the ultimate in spa treatments, a relaxed ambiance, and flexible meeting spaces with state-of-the-art equipment. This elegant resort has a Mayan ecological feeling, and an oceanfront location surrounded by a lush tropical mangrove preserve and with views of Cozumel Island. Take your senses on a culinary tour through eleven remarkable restaurants serving delicious cuisine from all around the world and ten bars serving unlimited international Premium brand drinks. Enjoy life-enriching experiences such as tango dance classes, sushi-making, and sensorial experiences. This luxury family-friendly All-Inclusive resort is located about 45 minutes from Cancun International Airport and just steps from extraordinary beaches and attractions such as Playa del Carmen’s 5th Avenue, Xcaret, Akumal, Xel-Ha, and near world-famous Mayan archaeological sites such as Tulum, Chichén Itzá and Cobá. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Tingo, Melia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL and Agoda so you can book your Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda Riviera Maya, Mexico