“our favorite hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aventura Mexicana

You added Aventura Mexicana to your Saves list
Aventura Mexicana
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5th Avenue at 24th Street, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
$50 Free Food & Drinks!
Ranked #16 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Rockville, Minnesota
“our favorite hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

This is our second time at this hotel. We came back because we loved it last April and we will continue to come back in the coming months! The location is perfect, the staff is amazing and we couldn't ask for anything more. We feel like we are family with the staff. They know us by first names and will go above and beyond to help us with our requests. Bartenders Aldo and Daniel are entertaining. They make you want to stay at their bar versus going out during the day and night. Luis is very helpful booking massages onsite. You can decide to have one at 1 p.m. and get one by 2 p.m. if you want. I love that you don't have to reserve days in advance like some resorts. Chef Marco is the best chef ever. He would make amazing dishes from scratch just for us. I will write a review under the restaurant tripadvisor for more info. Manager Rob is very hands on and accessible. He picked an amazing staff!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012 via mobile

amazing hotel!!
location is right in the center, very nice room.
the pool is right in the middle and open for use 24 hours.

the stuff were very nice and helpfull, every day we had diffrent shape from our clean towel on the bad.

the best hotel we've been, it made our vacation.

if you are planning vacation at playa this is your hotel.

• Stayed April 2012
Healdsburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed here for a week in mid-March. We were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. Needless to say, we had a most memorable time in Playa del Carmen but it never would have been possible without having picked the perfect hotel. It came highly recommended and now it is clear why. The bang for your buck is only one of the draws here. The reception area is always staffed and very friendly and helpful. The free wi-fi was a huge plus and when we wanted to use the hotel desktop wiith internet, it was almost always accessible. The grounds of the property are maintained impeccably and this is from someone who has installed and maintained tropical gardens. Even Rob the hotel manager can be occasionally seen tidying up the landscape during his many site inspections. He sets the example for his employees to follow when it comes to service and presentation. The rooms were always cleaned to a high standard and unlike many hotels in this area, there were no issues with operational aspects of one's stay.
Now for the restaurant/bar: We were blown away by the food, drinks and service. The VIP plan was well worth the price. Needless to say, we have tried all-inclusive at other hotels and it involves bodies in lines to consume mainly processed food,high-fructose drinks and one beer choice. Here we could order what we wanted and have it prepared and served fresh. Delicious. I want to point out that my wife and I have been trying to eat healthy and the staff here went all out to accomodate us with ingredients that they already had on hand. We were blown away when on our second night, we saw Jaques Pepin dining at the restaurant. Yes, the world famous chef-Jaques Pepin. Turns out he is friends with Chef Marco and if the dining here is good enough for JP then it certainly should pass muster with the pickiest and peskiest diner.
The privacy one could have when catching rays was incredible as there are so many places (patios and loungers at all levels) to lounge here. We really were pleased when the pool area did not have blasting techno music and loud kids as so many places round here have. The bar is far enough from the rooms to not interfere with napping or sleeping and it is lively until about 10:30-11 p.m. Then the entire property is very quiet for one's slumber. If you are not ready to retire, there is always La Avenida only a few steps away.
I could go on but can only say that if you want paradise, the right geograpical place is where you start but it is not enough if you are not lodging, lounging, dining and drinking at the right place. This place definitely stands out and the very reasonable rates make it even more appealing......

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

This was our 2nd time to Playa with the first time at an AI resort a few miles north. We selected this hotel based upon many positive reviews and its location. I find the AI approach a complete waste of money as well as being boring after a two or three days. We stayed in the honeymoon suite (biggest room) which was really nice although i wish it was the room above as then it would have less noise from the restaurant and more privacy. The price was about $100 per night. AI resorts are around $200 per person per night. Granted you get a nice pool but if you go to 5th Ave and try to spend $150 per person per day in food and drink you will probably die trying.

The restaurant on site is great but all the little tacquerias and restaurants along or near 5th are great and there is also a big grocery store within walking distance. The beach clubs nearby are a great deal with great food and more fun than an AI resort anyhow.

In terms of customer service these guys rock. I needed to work while there and unfortunately my laptop would not connect to the wireless no matter what i tried. Rob, the head of Operations went out of his way to send someone to the Telcel store to get me a USB mifi which saved the day.

So when it comes down to it if you want to be able to enjoy Playa and not waste hundreds of dollars per day on marginal AI food especially if you leave the resort to dive or do other off property activities, staying here is a decision you cannot go wrong with.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

The "oasis" review by willawirth and "brilliant" review by cooperr007 are exactly the same as what I would have written... This place is perfectly located and is truly an oasis. Very comfortable and well kept - the rooms were spotless and the property was gorgeous and immaculately landscaped. The highlight was the restaurant - all 3 meals per day were outstanding; fresh, delicious, and great portions. We traveled as a couple with 2 toddlers, but I'd recommend this place for honeymoons or friends or solo in addition to families - it is AWESOME!!

Room Tip: VIP (All Inclusive) is definitely worth it!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

[We stayed March 16-24.]

My husband and I read a lot of reviews before booking, and we chose this quaint hotel because it had everything we were looking for: not too big, not too small therefore maybe sketchy, and it was very close to the beach/ocean, Avenida 5te (5th Ave) and it just looked beautiful.

Well, when we arrived, my initial gut reaction (and I think my outward exclamation) upon walking in the front lobby and the grounds was: "Oh my God! It really is that beautiful here!" I was thrilled – going up to the top level balcony and snapping pics – it was awesome.
The people (staff) here are VERY nice too, so much so that I felt sad when we checked out. Beautiful people. Daniel, Aldo, the guys at the front desk, the housekeepers - all of them so sweet.

I was pleased with our room when we first walked in, and I was very happy we got a room decorated in the "traditional" style; I didn't want a room in the "modern" style; I am visiting Mexico, a foreign country to me, after all.

We opted for the VIP plan, the all-inclusive deal, so all food and drinks (all day) were included in our rate. I do think this was a good value. Although, as I have read from many other hotel stayers, you do get a little tired of the same menu day after day, night after night. BUT, the money you save in drinks, if you like to drink beer, cocktails, etc., really is substantial – if you do the VIP plan. I recommend it. In fact, the one night we did eat out at another restaurant (we were craving Italian food) we blew $130 US, and I was not impressed with that Italian restaurant’s food. At the Mayan Bistro, the food was pretty good; I was certainly happy with the shrimp tacos and the Caesar salad, and even the pastries in the morning with coffee or melon ‘wather’ – so I have no complaints there. Being that it was my first trip to Mexico, ever, I did get a little stomach thing about 3 days in, but I think it was from just being in such a different environment, and possibly from the tap water I used to brush my teeth, or the drinks from the Kool Beach Club. (A.M. provides free Kool Beach Club access: a great deal – they give you a beach towel – so leave yours at home, and you get a nice lounge chair on the beach – not the beds or wooden chairs, but a good chair nonetheless.)

Back to Hotel Aventura Mexicana. The only negative thing, for me, was where our room was located: upstairs, right across the street from Evolve – a gym with spin classes happening every weekday, I think. If it’s warm (and it’s probably going to be warm when you’re on vacation there, right?) they have the sliding glass door/window open, and they play pretty loud techno/mixed music, along with the aerobic instructor’s call-outs. If you are an early-bird, and will be out by 8am every morning, and not back in the room until after 8pm, it’ll be fine. But, if you like to chill in your room in the morning, sleeping in past 8am, or need to lay in the bed around 4-5pm because you’re dealing with any kind of sickness (like we had to one day) it won’t be quiet in your room at those times. We had room #2210. Again, I loved the décor – I even took pics so I could try to do the same style in my home – but the fact that the room’s big sliding glass door faces the gym’s sliding glass doors, and they have classes which are accompanied by motivation techno music, was a big bummer for me. We stayed for 8 nights. I really did feel at home, loved the pool and the grounds landscaping, all the very beautiful European style and palm trees, flowers, water fountains, so nice. BUT I do wish we would have asked to see another room about 4 days in. My husband voted against it – because that would just be a hassle. But…remembering the “Dear Prudence” song sped up & mixed to a techno beat, and hearing a woman call out exercise commands, is a strong memory of our trip, which I kind of wish was not in my head. : )

But all else considered: I loved this place, and would highly recommend it if you are staying in Playa del Carmen. (And there seem to be cool people who stay at this little hotel, and you’ll probably make some friends during your stay!)

Room Tip: If you may want to sleep in past 8am, or lay in bed before 8pm, do not choose room 2210. It's ri...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
PlayaMayaGuy, Director of Sales at Aventura Mexicana, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Hello HRT!

Thanks for taking the time to let us know you enjoyed your trip very much and would highly recommend us to others! We wish we would have known that you might like to try a room on the other side of the hotel, would could have convinced your husband that moving would be easy and hassle free! We're also glad you found our VIP All Inclusive to be a good value and Chef Marco loves going "off menu" when guests request something special! So when you return, let us know and Chef will create something just for you!! We hope to see you soon!

Aventura Mexicana Staff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012 via mobile

Hotel adventura Mexicans is outstanding. Its a private oaises tucked in the heart beat of Playa del Carmen. - yet offering a quiet elaborate dynamic spread of rooms, two stories,- throughout meandering pools and gardens with gorgeous flowering trees spreading tropical flowers in the air. There's an awesome Mayan bistro in the central court, with an open thatch roof outside bar-- adding a romance to cocktail hour- and serves up amazing cuisine with the best wait staff I found in playa!! It offers spotless beatiful rooms that supply you with all the amenities.-- and the tropical atmosphere is right out your door step. It really was my home, while I was there.. and was extremely sad to leave. I became friends with the staff and guests in the 5 days I stayed. I attribute this to the tight ship they run. Its loving, fun, peaceful, and offers interaction if you want that as well as privacy. I will only stay there.. when i return to playa.. and I'm counting the days! I rate it... THIS IS WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR!!!!!

• Stayed March 2012

Been to Aventura Mexicana? Share your experiences!