“Lovely hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Mexico

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Mexico to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xaman-Ha, Manzana 3, Lote 4 | Playacar, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive Reward!
Ranked #20 of 199 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed at the riu palace Mexico for 2 weeks during late January and early February 2013. We very much enjoyed our stay here. The food selection we found to be very good and varied. I'm quite a fussy eater but I could always find something I liked. We liked the pool area very much as unlike the yukatan there was'nt too much shade. Our rooms were lovely and bright and always kept in pristine condition. And all of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The only downside was the late bar which surprisingly is a self service and therefor has no atmosphere. People just seem to call in on their way to bed to grab a snack and drink to take to their room. We like to stay up late most evenings but this concept doesn't work for us because of the lack of company.this aside we very much enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the courtyard are best
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Polish first
illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

This was our 4th visit to this resort and again they did not disappoint. We enjoy all the staff here and they all work hard and will do what ever they can to make your stay perfect.

We were on the top floor and did notice a slight odor in the drawers but I had brought dryers sheets to keep in there and it helped

The first night we thought we had gotten the balcony door shut all the way and come morning and we noticed it was not very cool and some dampness, checked and We had not gotten it closed good. After that no issues. Love the fact they have the ceiling fans

Meet our family here and celebrated birthdays and anniversary and were not disappointed. Special table set up for us one night with beautiful flowers. Gorgeous roses were in the bouquet

Upper management is always present and stop and talk to you and make you feel special.
You will see them all times of day checking the buffet and the a la carte's and interacting with guests

We like the buffet, so much to eat and try, Love to just look at dessert area to see what they do with chocolate. We really enjoyed the Steakhouse. and would recommend it. Plenty of good food to be had.

Room was always clean and plenty of fash clothes and towels. We did not notice any noise from hallway. Could be we had quiet neighbors during our visit.

Pools were clean and very warm. Able to spend more time in pool this visit than when we were here in January. Enjoyed meeting guests from Germany and England.

Cannot say enough about all the staff. They go above and beyond to meet your needs. So many of staff have been here for years. Front desk staff were great. Always friendly and smiling and offered to assist if you had question

We will visit again. Cannot begging to list names of all the special staff. It here are a few
Marley, Elena, Nando, Daniel, Mateo. Thanks to Joaquin and Hiram for all the special treatment.
Cannot thank Francesca and Ildiko for making everything so very special for us and our family.

We come here for the staff, location, beach. Decor is not our favorite but does grow on you.
Still would like to see more of Mexican decor.

TIP, TIP TIP the staff. They all work long hrs and very hard to make your visit special.
It really spoils us for when we get back to the USA and difference in service at home.

Room Tip: We prefer the upper floor. No chairs moving overhead making noise
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Shreveport, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

From the time we stepped off the plain till we stepped back on FIRST CLASS SERVICE the people at the airport and hotel couldn't do enough for us. The food has to be some of the best I have ever had ( for me to say that it has to be true as I'm a very very picky eater)Bernie and the rest of the guys at the pool bar are top notch never had an empty drink. If I had to say something negative all I could say is if your looking to party late in to the night this would not be a place you would want to stay as everything stops at 11:00 pm but for 20 bucks plus tip you can be in downtown Play in about 5 to 10 min

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Topton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

...I have been remiss in not reporting earlier on a wonderful return stay to the Riu Palace Mexico...10 of us, from age 15 to 58 stayed at this incredible resort in early August 2013...without fail, every member of our group had a fantastic time...the food, drink, and grounds were wonderful...the ala carte steakhouse and Italian restaurants perfection, and the service...well, the service just keeps getting better, and we really didn't think that would be possible...we wanted for nothing, and found all that we needed and more...my family can be a handful at times, fun-loving, but sometimes crazy-fun...and the staff responded to them with incredible grace and friendship...the lobby coffee shop is a fantastic addition...if you go, you must try the coffee with ice cream...yumolicious (yes, that is a word for me now)...the beach is absolutely stunning, beautiful palms framing the incredible blue of the Caribbean...the pool area is fun and well-designed...the added luxury of visiting the other Riu's in the Playacar complex pushes this resort over-the-top for us...we also enjoy the Riu Yucatan very much, and have been staying at these two resorts since 2001...lots of folks travel for years before finding their own personal paradise...luckily, we found ours in the Riu Palace Mexico and Playacar Riu Complex...bravo, keep up the good work!...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Battle Creek, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Always a wonderful hotel, great service, fantastic staff. There is nothing not to love about this place! Do not want to go home. This is as close to perfect as it gets. Food is superb, everywhere. The new coffee shop is very popular.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
East Rutherford, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My daughter and I just returned from 4 days at Riu Palace Mexico. I have stayed other RIU resorts in Playacar and my daughter stayed at RIU in Aruba. However, I've always wanted to try the Palace. Let me first start by saying that the grounds, lobby, beach, rooms are kept beautifully. The staff go out of their way to please and make your stay very enjoyable. The food is very good and very varied. I know the resort had recently been renovated and there have been comments on Trip Advisor about the bathroom layout. Let me further add I consider the bathroom layout horrible. Unless you are a couple and have no problem with nudity then it would be fine. However, for a family it is totally unacceptable. There is absolutely no privacy except for the shower and toilet. The tub and wash facilities are totally open in the same room with the beds. Honestly, I don't know what the interior designer was thinking. The décor and lighting in the room has a South Beach nightclub vibe. As for the renovations, the façade is Spanish with an interior palette of purple, pink, black and silver. It is quite beautiful if you like what I call ultra-modern, Euro-Sensual. However, I much prefer the colonial Mexican décor of the Riu Palace Riviera Maya. I understand that renovations are planned for that property and I sincerely hope they don't make the same mistake. I consider myself a seasoned traveler and although I rate this hotel a 4, because of my personal preference, and distaste of the bathroom layout, unfortunately, I would not return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Warwick, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

we have stayed at other RIU resorts and just loved Palace Mexico. The staff was pleasant the food was awesome. Wish we had a room the didnt face the other resort, it was very noisy as it was a walking path for the resort across the street. A few suggestions.... Why cant we use the towels at the other resorts if we are allowed to use the pools. Why aren't the rules the same thru out all the RIU resorts. (dress code for restaurants) The smoking section should not be right infront of all the restaurants it was such a gross and a big turn off to go to the restaurants. Walking thru the smoke very unhealthy. Whom ever designed the stairs and walk way to the beach with black tile should rethink their decision so hot and slipper. One small complaint wish it had more entertainment and activity's during the day. We told the resort it was our anniversary and my birthday but nothing special was done. a little disappointing.

Room Tip: can not say what the other rooms were like ours were okay a little noisy on the 2017 room side. Due...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Mexico? Share your experiences!