“Mother and Daughter Getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Mexico

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Mexico to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xaman-Ha, Manzana 3, Lote 4 | Playacar, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Fall Getaway
Ranked #21 of 199 hotels in Playa del Carmen
East Rutherford, NJ
“Mother and Daughter Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My daughter and I just returned from 4 days at Riu Palace Mexico. I have stayed other RIU resorts in Playacar and my daughter stayed at RIU in Aruba. However, I've always wanted to try the Palace. Let me first start by saying that the grounds, lobby, beach, rooms are kept beautifully. The staff go out of their way to please and make your stay very enjoyable. The food is very good and very varied. I know the resort had recently been renovated and there have been comments on Trip Advisor about the bathroom layout. Let me further add I consider the bathroom layout horrible. Unless you are a couple and have no problem with nudity then it would be fine. However, for a family it is totally unacceptable. There is absolutely no privacy except for the shower and toilet. The tub and wash facilities are totally open in the same room with the beds. Honestly, I don't know what the interior designer was thinking. The décor and lighting in the room has a South Beach nightclub vibe. As for the renovations, the façade is Spanish with an interior palette of purple, pink, black and silver. It is quite beautiful if you like what I call ultra-modern, Euro-Sensual. However, I much prefer the colonial Mexican décor of the Riu Palace Riviera Maya. I understand that renovations are planned for that property and I sincerely hope they don't make the same mistake. I consider myself a seasoned traveler and although I rate this hotel a 4, because of my personal preference, and distaste of the bathroom layout, unfortunately, I would not return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

3,026 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
  • Polish first
Warwick, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

we have stayed at other RIU resorts and just loved Palace Mexico. The staff was pleasant the food was awesome. Wish we had a room the didnt face the other resort, it was very noisy as it was a walking path for the resort across the street. A few suggestions.... Why cant we use the towels at the other resorts if we are allowed to use the pools. Why aren't the rules the same thru out all the RIU resorts. (dress code for restaurants) The smoking section should not be right infront of all the restaurants it was such a gross and a big turn off to go to the restaurants. Walking thru the smoke very unhealthy. Whom ever designed the stairs and walk way to the beach with black tile should rethink their decision so hot and slipper. One small complaint wish it had more entertainment and activity's during the day. We told the resort it was our anniversary and my birthday but nothing special was done. a little disappointing.

Room Tip: can not say what the other rooms were like ours were okay a little noisy on the 2017 room side. Due...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Where to begin.well from the moment we got there on the 9th oct till we lefted on the 30th oct fantastic. Would like to thank mr Rafael for looking after us every nite the table was decorated every nite with flowers.the food is 5 star mouth watering it was.The staff in the bar area always remembered your drinks and that was down to Jesus and Daniel. The beach area was great could always fine sunbeds.the riu land for kids is fantastic my son who is 4 loved it and was well taken care of.I would like to thank every1 there for looking after us so so much especially ildiko you are the best.can't wait to book for next year now 9th year running that will be.all I can say is all the negative reveiw well some people can never be pleased but this family can.
SEE YOU ALL SOON

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 2129 and 2130 fantastic even the cleaner Francisco
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary at this resort from October 18-24. This was our 3rd visit to Mexico and 1st time at Riu Palace Mexico (RPM). We’ve previously stayed at Riu Palace Riviera Maya (RPRM). We chose this resort because it was recently renovated and we wanted to compare it to RPRM

We didn’t think that it was possible to top RPRM, but Riu Palace Mexico did just that!

ROOM: We were in Room 2050, which we highly recommend since it is on the top floor and almost at the end of the building, close to the pool. The room is spacious and more contemporary than RPRM. The jacuzzi tub in the middle of the room is a nice touch, however we did not use it during our stay. The shower is a walk-in and very spacious, which in our opinion is more modern and classy. As a married couple, we found the room and set up to be more couple friendly. We agree with reviewers who said that travelers with families would not find this room comfortable. Yes, the room smells musty. But just remember…you ARE at the beach! Our room was kept exceptionally clean and beverages and towels were replenished daily. We found the A/C to work quite well.

FOOD: WOW!! If you can’t find anything here that you like, then maybe you shouldn’t go on vacation! So many choices everyday on the breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet. We tried all 5 of the ala carte restaurants and thought that they were all excellent. We enjoyed the restaurants because it was a more intimate dining experience. It’s really difficult to pick a favorite, but the Steakhouse and Krystal are at the top of our list. The wait staff go above and beyond – absolutely AMAZING - always smiling and happy. Luis was great - he took care of us every day for breakfast and lunch. We miss him already! We found the food at RPM to be comparable to the RPRM.

BEACH: The beach is spectacular and always a lounger to be found. Very clean. Lots of shade and palm trees. We enjoyed the drink service on the beach. They are always hustling and working hard to deliver cold drinks! We tipped them well! The water was absolutely crystal clear! We snorkeled right off the beach and were able to see many fish. There was a bit of seaweed in the early morning, but staff do a good job of keeping it clean.

POOLS: There are 4 pools which are all kept very clean. We enjoyed all of them except for the bar pool which tends to be the busiest. The pools temps are warmer, but still refreshing. We were always able to find loungers around the pool area, even at the busiest time of the day.

ENTERTAINMENT: We enjoyed the Magic Show and the Circus Show during our stay. We thought that the performers were very talented. The shows are standard but were entertaining. We enjoyed the Mariachi Band as well. The Entertainment staff worked very hard and made an effort to mingle with the guests daily. Christina and Cindy spoke with us several times and made us feel at home.

OVERALL: Both the RPRM and RPM have much to offer. The RPM, since it’s renovation, is definitely more contemporary and in our opinion, brighter than RPRM. RPRM is more traditional and Old-World Style. This is our 3rd trip to the Riu Palaces in Mexico. We find it very hard to believe that these properties can get negative reviews. We understand that some people have bad experiences, but we also know that there are some people who will NEVER be happy or pleased. We wish we were back right now. We miss the staff…hopefully we will see you soon!

Room Tip: Request a higher room, courtyard view, close to the pool
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My husband and I spent our 25th anniversary here at the end of October. It was amazing,, from the time we got there to the time, we sadly left. Nothing bad to say whats so ever, The room, amazing, the food amazing, the drinks amazing, the staff amazing. Will we return?, you bet we will!!!!! I have never been to any other place that everything is top notch. There was nothing to complain about, at all..... Would I recommend this resort,, in a heart beat... An amazing, amazing resort... Thank you to Riu Palace Mexico, WE WILL BE BACK!

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor facing the fountains..0132 - great view..
notts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

This was our 3rd visit, and we were greeted as old friends by the staff and made very welcome. The food in the restaurant was even better than before Rafael and his team were very attentive (as always) but when last 2 visits there was a dress code in the evening there is none now some guests were dressed as if they had just come from the beach and with this casual dress there was also a lack of table manners What is wrong with using a knife and fork? I even saw one mother gather up the cutlery and her teenage daughter tearing roast beef with her fingers and eating it like a savage! with no dress code it says anything goes!
There has been a lot of money spent on the refurbishment, but some things have not been thought out,
Due to humidity carpets are not practical however the internal doors on the old room design made it a lot quieter we all like to go to bed at different times!
Despite the air conditioning always being on our clothes always felt damp and since returning home I have had to wash everything even if it had not been worn, as we have always had the same room this can only be due to the open plan with the bath and wash basins being open to the bedroom all bedrooms need to have a glass screen to help minimize this ,we are a couple so privacy was not the issue in this case.
The hotel now has several pools all of them in the same area so much concrete made it feel like a cauldron on a hot day In the past there was a quiet pool shaded by palm trees and a much larger on with pool bar and activities for those guests that wanted them this worked perfectly for everyone now it is noisy everywhere.
Colour is always a matter of personal choice but I do not feel that the choices that have been made are sympathetic to some of the features in this hotel it seems a case of this is the new Riu décor and as the next door hotel has been painted the same it seems no thought was given to some of the features in the hotel e.g. the chapel, the reception desk and the bar , all traditional style everything next to it pink, purple or silver!
Mexican night used to see the waiters in traditional dress and the restaurant decorated in the Mexican colours, also Gala night when the food was superb is not as special as again the restaurant is not decorated any differently, this is such a pity as guest used to enjoy this along with the Mexican stalls which used to be outside the area outside with the bandstand. I appreciate times change but I think it is a great pity so much of what was so special about this hotel has been lost.
I would again like to thank all the staff for the welcome they gave us and the high standard of food but feel that Riu need to think carefully before they renovate and to make sure that other hotels keep their individual charm

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: pamela gagnon <southpamela@hotmail.com>
Date: 1 November, 2013 8:51:35 AM EDT
To: pamela <southpamela@hotmail.com>
Subject: Fwd: Riu

We just got back from RPM! Loved it! We went to Riu Palace Bavaro last year and loved it so we decided to give Riu Palace Mexico a try. We were not disappointed! It is similar to the RPB but I would say even better! We had beautiful suite on the second floor room 1130. Always cleaned early morning, even though we were only two in room we always had four towels. Which was needed we got back from the beach. Loved the shower it had lots of pressure. At night our maid would come and do the turn down.

The beach is large with white sand and turquoise water no rocks nor shells always clean. Of course depending on weather some days water was calm and others we had some good waves to have fun in. Yes there were some vendors but do not bother you unless you are interested. There is a waiter coming often to the beach with a full tray of drinks.
We went three times to Playa del carmen twice by taxi seven dollars each way, one day we walked by the beach took us 30 minutes. Lots of shops and restaurants.

Yes at the RPM in the evening in the lobby there is piano player from 6 to 9 pm only, after 9pm it would be a nice touch if they would play music example Luis Miguel. At 9:45 Some people rather it to be quiet at this time so they can talk and relax. If you want more action then you have other options the Riu Tequila just accross the street has more music and entertainment. There is the Riu Yutucan next door to your left which has all been renovated beautiful lobby nice place to take a drink. Also in walking distance is Riu Playacar and Riu Palace Riviera Maya.

Food I cannot enough! At breakfast Luis always brought me my glass of champagne what service! Lunch time you have choice of Mexican resto or buffet by the pool which had more choices! Resto a la carte we loved the Krystal! Enjoyed the Italian for all meals of course their lasagna was delicious! Japanese served sushi then brought me a peppered steak dish sizzling at my table!! Yummy! From the service, the food, the beach etc This has been our best trip so far and will not hesitate to go back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Mexico? Share your experiences!