“Just back-Incredible” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Mexico

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Mexico to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xaman-Ha, Manzana 3, Lote 4 | Playacar, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive Reward!
Ranked #20 of 199 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Battle Creek, Michigan
“Just back-Incredible”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

First off I am a Travel Agent. I have been to many, many all inclusives and this is my second visit to Riu Palace Mexico, 1st since the renovation. This was a private vacation with 2 other couples, paid full client rate, but we Travel Agents are never really on vacation, because you always are paying attention to what is good and what needs improvement. I am always thinking who should I book into this particular hotel, everywhere I stay.
I could do a pros and cons type review, but would be very hard pressed to find anything negative to say!!!!
One thing Riu always does right, is they tend to keep the same help for a long time...greeted by familiar faces all over the place. Makes me think this is a good company to work for, they keep their help. Francesca is a great manager, Ramon also, and there is management around all day and all night, talking to everyone...that is a good thing.
I have always felt food at Riu Palace resorts was good, but now it is beyond good, the new chef is also always around and always working, and everything tasted incredible. At a time when we are getting complaints on lower quality food at many all inclusives, I am sure they are cutting costs since food is so high, here is a resort that just keeps adding better food, more variety, higher quality. I was at an Iberostar in December, and was disappointed in the food for the first time ever, quality had dropped, here it was the best ever!!! Truely, I can say I have never been to a resort with better food (and I have been at 5-6 Secrets) so that says a ton. The new coffee shop was so good, there are not words to describe it. One of my friends who is a Starbuck's addict and always went down the road to get one, said this was tons better. Did not use the 24 hour place much, but the variety in there was also wonderful....but how much can one person eat!!! Did not use room service other than morning coffee, but those who did seemed very satisfied. Bufet was wonderful as usual, as good as the ala carte, and lobster on Gala night.
New Renovations at the pool:
The new pool set up was wonderful..one pool strictly a "bar pool" with a bar, seats, benches, counters, tables, you name it..perfect for those who like pool bars. Personally, I love the fact it is no connected to another pool, there are those who never leave those stools, and no one has a bladder that big, so if pool bar is not your thing, you do not have to be connected to it. One pool perfect for volleyball, exercises, actitivies, and 2 others to relax and just enjoy. Perfect set up. One umbrella for every 2 chairs, and even full always chairs and shade if wanted to be found at one of the pools anytime. As always still a wonderful beach..no towel games needed here, there was always something you wanted, where you wanted available. Only one little negative, those very loud, noisy hand dryers in the bathrooms (they are going green), but these were so noisy..and the ladies bathroom could be a bit bigger..but it was always clean, someone stationed in there all day. The could use more bathrooms in that area, but that has always seemed to be the case at many resorts.
Rooms:
Very different, than they used to be, brighter, seemed bigger. Walk in shower is wonderful. All around a better set up, but open concept, and not everyone likes that. There are 80 rooms that have curtains to shut off that area so it is not so open, but most people do not know that...ask at check in if one is available if open is not your idea of perfect. I believe they are 1st come 1st serve but you can ask your travel agent to request one ahead of time. I know everyone is nervous about the new decor, but it really grows on you, I really liked it!!!! I always think of it this way, I am only renting the room (which I am never in but to sleep and shower) not buying it. Would my home be decorated like this ..no, I am more traditional, but I honestly liked it, it was cheery and bright, but not so overdone as you might think from the pictures. And it is the first time in a long time the bathroom was lit well enough to put on makeup!!!!!!! Still have the nice reclining chairs on the balcony.
Entetainment and Entertainment Staff
Lots of the same old gang, I just love Aida, she had the kids club the week we were there, not many children there, but she kept them happy. This would still not be a hotel I feel is really is for kids, but they have added more for them. But, there were not a lot of them there. Lots of stuff going on all day if you want to participate/ There is not a board of activities posted at the towel hut anymore, but they have weekly printed schedules there/..just ask... If you eat early, there is entertainment before the main show in the square, singers, or band, always something, which I enjoy, since we rarely make it up for the later show..what we did see was good...Drink service is fast, you barely finish one drink and they are there for the next order, never more than one cigarette butt in an ashtray and a new clean one was there.
I could go on and on, Aiden cleaned our room daily, and it was perfectly clean and usually done when we returned from breakfast or he was still working on it, nightly turndown service was consistant (this is not the case at many hotels). Honestly, noisy hand dryers are the only complaint I could possibly find...
You cannot do better than this hotel anywhere, location, service, beach, staff, towels, sheets, hangers (tons of them!!!) food, it is as close to perfect as you can find anywhere. I am going to be hard pressed to go to any other hotel (although I do also love the Riu Palace Pacifico), but this one is still the best!! Hardest thing for me is it sells out a lot...the number of repeat guests they have is amazing, but not hard to understand. Try it, you will love it.

Room Tip: If the superior junior suite is available it overlooks the courtyard, and the upgrade cost is not mu...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
  • Polish first
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We spent a week at the Riu Palace Mexico from January 27 to February 3, 2013. I read TripAdvisor every day before we went so kind of knew what to expect. We had absolutely no disappointments. The staff is attentive and friendly. The rooms are spacious and spotless. Yes, the bathroom is basically in the room, so if you are traveling with a family and have privacy issues, you might want to look elsewhere. For my husband and me, it was just fine. A large walk-in shower was wonderful for "older" people like us, as opposed to climbing over the side of a tub. The whirlpool tub in the room was wonderful after a day of touring. The toilet is in a smallish room, but neither of us is small and we were fine in it. The mini-bar was kept stocked with Diet Pepsi and Water as we asked, as well as the norm of beer, club soda and regular soda. Our room was right behind the stage, but we were never bothered with noise. The four pools is rather nice as you have options. The beach is beautiful and well cared for, and the staff brings trays of drinks around so you don't have to ever leave your beach chair. The entertainment staff was talented, friendly and charming. The food was great. The only ala carte restaurants we went to were the Steakhouse and the Italian. The Steakhouse food was great, but the show was even better. We chose the Alaska Souffle which was baked Alaska. The show the servers put on when lighting the meringue was beautiful and fun. Given the opportunity, I would turn around and go right back. When we do go back, we will remember to take smaller US bills with us. It is very difficult to break big bills there and some places hesitate to take a credit card. When a business takes US dollars, they tend to charge a bit more and the change is almost always in Pesos.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My stay here was phenomenal. I went with 21 of my friends to help celebrate our friends 40th birthday and I can honestly say we picked the right hotel. The staff were great, the food was excellent, the drinks were a little on the weak side but we just started ordering doubles of an extra shot lol

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

To begin, my husband and I (both in our late 30’s) are seasoned veterans of all-inclusive resorts all over Mexico and the Caribbean. We’ve stayed at some very high end resorts like the Iberostar Grand in Rivieria Maya and Sandal’s in Jamaica. Let me just tell you, that our week at the RIU Palace Mexico was our best stay yet!! This resort does everything right!

The room was gorgeous and spotlessly cleaned each day by lunchtime. We absolutely loved the large shower and double bowl sink vanity, which made getting ready for dinner a breeze. The shower pressure and hot water were excellent which is not the case at many resorts! Our mini bar was replenished each day, and we loved the balcony that looked onto the beautiful grounds. We enjoyed the crisp white design and accompanying linens.

The food was excellent and plentiful. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet each morning. We did notice that the hotel has cut portion sizes down which was a welcome change, in our opinion. We had lunch at the beach buffet, and it was adequate. After breakfast each morning, we’d get a reservation for dinner that evening. Personally, I love the first come first serve way they do it each day. I’ve been to resorts that allow people to make reservations via email for the entire week in advance. Therefore, when you actually get to the hotel all of the reservations are taken. I think this way puts everyone on the same playing field. We ate at the Asian restaurant twice and loved it. We also thoroughly enjoyed the Mexican restaurant. Our least favorite was the Steakhouse, but it was still okay. The evenings we ate dinner at the buffet it was also excellent.

Pool and Beach. We did play the towel game each day, but it wasn’t necessary. We are morning people, so that’s always been a part of our routine. The waiters at the pools are fantastic. You never were more than a couple of minutes away from being asked if you’d like anything. There are plenty of loungers and umbrellas, and the beach bar is a wonderful place to get a cocktail and watch the ocean. We are pool people, but I can report the beach is wonderful. It’s flat and there are an abundance of chairs and shade available.

Other things. I really enjoyed the beautiful gym. The cardio equipment is set in front of a huge wall of windows that look out onto the resort. The coffee bar is a great addition. We really enjoyed being able to get a great cup of coffee. The lobby bar is a wonderful place to grab a pre-dinner cocktail. Even though we didn’t use it, I love the idea of the 24 hour café. That is a wonderful addition. The hotel features free wifi that I never had a problem accessing or getting a signal on.

In conclusion, this is a wonderful resort with fabulous service. I’d suggest it to anyone, and we will be back. Please disregard the negative reviews. This resort is a treat, and we will be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Since this was a newly renovated resort expectaions were very high. Once again Riu did not let us down. Rooms are very modern and clean. A dffernt lay out but it worked for us very well. The buffet was great. Only tried the steak house and found the service very slow.(Great Ribs)
Nice pools , pool bar and very nice beach. weather could have been more sunny but at least it was warm.Staff was the best ,went out of there way to please very one.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Milton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We spent New Year's at the Riu Palce Mexico with our family of 4. Despite being full, the resort never felt too busy. We did quite a bit of scuba diving and our 12 year old son became certified. Great dives and great fish! One of our favourite spots to go. We tried all the different restaurants and enjoyed them all- you do have to wake up early to line up for your choice of restaurant which was a bit of a pain- but it made it fair to all. Didn't like how NOISY the rooms were after 9pm- could never make it quiet. Also didn't enjoy having 2 double (are they double??) beds pushed together- felt claustrophibic. Kids loved the bath in the middle of the room! I would ask for a second or third story room- ours was on the main floor and had a terrible view (however, we were never in the room). Bathrooms are inconvenient from the beach- but a beautiful beach! Lovely that you can wander between all the RIU's. Great stay in all and they put on a wonderful spread for New Year's. Not a ton of kid activities- wouldn't recommend this resort for small kids.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Amazing hotel, really had a fantastic stay. Food fantastic loved the Brazilian best. Service was fantastic. The beach was beautiful and loved been Able to use the different riu hotels nearby. We will definitely be back soon!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Mexico? Share your experiences!