My husband and I stayed at Riu Tequila 10/6-10/11. It was a short, but enjoyable stay.
-The staff are super friendly and accommodating. Being that my husband and I were one of the few couples from the United States everyone remembered our name and took great care of us. My favorite staff were Martin at the pool bar, Jose at the main bar, and Lili- hotel entertainment staff. Also, my husband's luggage got delayed at the airport and the staff were very helpful in assisting us to get it delivered to the hotel.
-Bartenders kept the drinks flowing. Drinks are pretty weak, but all you have to do is order a shot with it and you're good. Also, tip them- they work hard for very little pay.
-The pool was never overcrowded and we could always get a good spot.
- The staff cleaned constantly. The bathrooms in the lobby and sports bar were impeccable. Even though the rooms are a tad bit dated ours was spotless.
-Free wifi in the hotel lobby- this came in handy for posting pics on Instagram and checking Facebook.
- While I didn't eat most things on the buffet because they didn't appeal to my taste buds, there were plenty options each meal to choose from. I believe everyone could find something to satisfy their appetite.
- It's an easy walk to the beach and if you're lazy or tired, the hotel shuttle (actually a golf cart) runs back and forth to the beach every 5 minutes.
- Access to the Yucatan across the street which has a gym and (at least in my opinion) a slightly younger, hipper crowd. I enjoyed lounging by their pool.
- Plenty of activities. I've stayed at other all- inclusive resorts and this has to be the hardest working entertainment staff I have ever seen.
-Bathroom towels were rough- I didn't mind, but my husband hated them.
-Late night food options are minimal to none. The only food available after 10:30PM is in refrigerators in the sports bar. I tried a hamburger and it made me sick.
- There is no room service.
- Coatis (sp?)- the wildlife that inhabit the resort. They weren't necessarily bad, but they're just everywhere so be prepared to have them follow you at night LOL.
- Poorly lit paths- I'm a little afraid of the dark and would have appreciated better lighting on the paths to the rooms.
In summary, this is a great hotel for the price. It is not 5 star and does not advertise itself as such so don't expect that upon arrival. If you want a 5 star experience, stay at the Palace across the street. If you want an enjoyable vacation on a budget, you will love this resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the resort area Playacar along with the hotels Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan and Riu Playacar * Main building and 1-story buildings * Surrounded by 48,000 m2 / 57,600 sq. Yards of lush gardens * 800 m / 2,650 ft. From the beach (complimentary shuttle) * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 300 m / 990 ft. From Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int???L. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA and Hotels.com so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Tequila reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Clubhotel Tequila Hotel
- Riu Tequila Mexico
- Hotel Riu Tequila
- Riu Tequila Playa Del Carmen
- Rui Tequila
- ClubHotel Riu Tequila Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico