We always thought we would never stay in an AI hotel as we enjoy eating out at night and a variety of food. However, after renting a condo in Playa del Carmen in 2012, a friend told us that she had stayed in Riu Tequila and the cost was the same per day as we had paid for flight/self catering. On the basis that we would use the hotel for breakfast, lunch, drinks and only dine in the speciality restaurants rather than the buffet, we booked. We read conflicting reviews about the hotel and, after persuading friends to come with us, we went with some trepidation. I can tell you now that it represents amazing value. The standard rooms are big and the beds (two doubles pushed together) are huge. There are optics in the bathroom area although we didn't use them. The fridge is stocked with beer and soft drinks. There is a shower, no bath, and plenty of hot water. We were in rooms 911/912 at the back of the hotel, a bit of a walk to the lobby/restaurant but it didn't bother us. It was nice and quiet at night. The food: breakfast was excellent, there is so much choice that it's mind boggling. We sat in the uncovered area each morning. In previous reviews, there was reference to the coatis running round the restaurant but it is all netted so they can't get in and the only problem is the birds, who are quick to swoop down for any bits of left over food. Lunch: we ate lunch most days at the beach restaurant, again a great choice of cold and hot food, desserts and ice cream. Evening meal: we ate in the main restaurant (buffet) on our first night as we were too tired to go out. There was plenty of choice of different foods and what we ate was good. The ambience inside the restaurant is a bit canteenish, large and brightly lit, but outside is lovely. We tried the Grill one night which was OK and the Asian restaurant another night, again it was fine. I wouldn't rave about them but it's all down to personal taste.
The pool area is lovely but the hotel rule that guests aren't allowed to reserve sunbeds is generally ignored, which is annoying but hey ho. There are plenty of loungers on the beach and, when we were there, it was never full. It's a short walk to the beach, which we found enjoyable, but the golf buggy trundles back and forwards all day for those who prefer to ride. All the staff are amazing, so friendly and helpful, never short of a smile and it all seems very genuine. The entertainment crew are tireless but although there is plenty going on, it isn't in your face and you aren't hassled to join in. There is a show every night although we were out most nights. The place is spotlessly clean everywhere. I'm not sure what the people who complain about the hotel expect. If you want top quality food, wines etc. pay more money and go upmarket. The drinks are great, not watered down. We watched the bar staff open bottles of Smirnoff Vodka, Gordons Gin etc. For us, it represented great value and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a good value holiday. We would definitely return.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Tequila
- Riu Clubhotel Tequila Hotel
- Riu Tequila Mexico
- Hotel Riu Tequila
- Riu Tequila Playa Del Carmen
- ClubHotel Riu Tequila Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
- Rui Tequila
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the resort area Playacar along with the hotels Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan and Riu Playacar * Main building and 1-story buildings * Surrounded by 48,000 m2 / 57,600 sq. yards of lush gardens * 800 m / 2,650 ft. from the beach (complimentary shuttle) * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 300 m / 990 ft. from Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int???l. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, BookIt.com, Expedia, Amex, Travelocity, Priceline, Tingo, HotelTravel.com, Otel and Hotels.com so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Tequila reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.