Arrived on the 17th December with my husband, 2 sons (21 and 25) and my daughter and her husband and stayed for 10 days. Weather was fantastic, between 27 – 30C every day. We all agreed: Best holiday we ever had! Staff in general, especially the bar staff were excellent. The rooms were spacious and well equipped and clean but could do with a little updating. But then we did not come all this way to stay in the hotel room! The fridge was filled up every two days and there were also 4 bottles of spirits with optics attached. We did not try the spirits as there was drink available everywhere all day and night. The evening buffet was excellent with plenty of choice. Lunchtimes was also buffet service and we used to go to the Riu Jucatan opposite as there was some waiter service for drinks available. We tried the Chinese Restaurant, which was ok, the best thing about it was the Sushi buffet. Although other reviewers recommended the Steak House, we did not think it was anything special. Christmas Eve Gala Dinner was spectacular with huge roasts of various meats, turkey, fish etc. Staff spent two days decorating the reception and restaurant for Christmas. Breakfast was excellent, loads of choice and fresh made juices out of the blender, papaya, melon and lots of others. All bars have a large menu of cocktails which are also freshly made to order.
There were many Canadians and Americans in the resort and unlike others mentioned, we really enjoyed their company, had some great nights with young and old and made new friends.
We ventured to Playa la Carmen a few times. It’s about a 20 minute walk. Taxi back is about 70 pesos. It is quite traditional and low rise with lots of shops including designer. Most take Dollars or Pesos. The restaurants are ok but we mainly went there to shop and have a decent Mexican beer. If you want any food items or spices there is a Walmart nearby which is much cheaper than the shops. They also had clothing and souvenirs.
One tip: If you go with Thomson or First Choice don’t book the VIP departure lounge at the airport. We did for 6 of us and when we got there, it was full. It’s very small and not worth it. We spent most of our time at the airport trying to get our money back!
A fantastic holiday, great facilities, lovely staff, can’t wait to go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the resort area Playacar along with the hotels Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan and Riu Playacar * Main building and 1-story buildings * Surrounded by 48,000 m2 / 57,600 sq. yards of lush gardens * 800 m / 2,650 ft. from the beach (complimentary shuttle) * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 300 m / 990 ft. from Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int???l. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, BookIt.com and Tingo so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Tequila reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Clubhotel Tequila Hotel
- Riu Tequila Mexico
- Hotel Riu Tequila
- Riu Tequila Playa Del Carmen
- Rui Tequila
- ClubHotel Riu Tequila Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico