“Never Again, Too Bad” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Tequila

You added ClubHotel Riu Tequila to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xaman-Ha, Manzana 3, Lote 19 | Condominio Playacar, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #34 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
New Westminster, Canada
“Never Again, Too Bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

2 weeks that should have been heaven turned into an experience I NEVER want again. Eleven days into a fifteen day trip I ask for maintenance to fix our toilet. It took two requests before anything was done. The second request was terminal. We left our room in what we thought was safe care to come back to over $660 US taken from our safe. Two groups of resort employees enter my room and a third entry is made within minutes of the last and our money is taken and our safe combination changed. Management intimated that I stole my own money! and refused to do ANYTHING for me. I spent hours and days trying for a resolution and finally 3 hours in a Mexican Police Station making a report. Management still would not accept responsibility for their staff members being the last individuals in my LOCKED room. NEVER AGAIN. The longer I think about it the more mad I get. BE WARE!!!! Serving staff were great, entertainment staff were great...management left a sour note.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (824)
  • Polish first
Pickering, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Over the years, I have travelled and stayed at numerous resorts and places in the Caribbean. The Hotel Riu Tequila, situated on the Eastern portion of the Yucatan Penninsula on the Riviera Maya, is by far the best experience to date. I was leary of Mexican travels due to the negative and disturbing media as of late. However, having personally experienced Mexico and the Riviera Maya, I can unquestionably and conclusively state that this is no longer a fear I hold.

Having just returned from this trip, the experiences had and the memories formed are still very vivid in my mind. Upon arrival, we were greeted with a "welcome drink" which is a signature feature of all Riu hotels. The check-in was friendly, organized, prompt, and extremely efficient. All hotel staff, especially the front desk ( and in particular Anxinho) were very well educated, knowledgeable, courteous and performed all duties with a genuine smile.

The room was nice and clean and the maid service ensured a change of bed linens and towels daily. After a long day of beach, sun, pool and activities, the fresh linens were a welcome retreat and conducive for a restful night's sleep. The maids also left cute rolled up towels in the form of swans, mermaids and other creative animate. This little extra always ensured a smile upon entry into the room.

The food was absolutely Fantastic! The variety, freshness, and different types of cuisine (Italian, Mexican, Asian, International, etc;) is guaranteed to please any palate. The resort also offers three A La Cart's for additional selection on top of the snack bars and main dining Hall. The Jalisco Dining Hall, which served the buffet breakfasts and dinners was nothing short of amazing. A special feature was the nightly ice sculptures, different theme night's and the phenomenal watermelon and fruit carvings. This decorative display was something I looked forward to at mealtime and stared at with childish wonderment. Bravo to all the chefs for a job well done!!

All bars, be it the swim up, sports, snack or the lobby, were great! The bartenders worked diligently and one never had to wait very long to have a drink in hand. They always acknowledged your presence and kept a mental note of who approached the bar first and served accordingly. They were funny, personable and always happy!! I found some of the drinks were a little on the sweet side, so the bartenders would customize my drinks to accomodate my liking.

The animacion team (Entertainment staff) were non stop energy. They held and participated in daily activities such as water aerobics, water polo, volleyball, dancing lessons, and bingo, to name a few. They also put on nightly shows that were absolutely phenomenal! The dancing, choreography, costumes, lighting, music, and fireworks were a crowd pleaser every night. Audience participation also included which further added to the enjoyment. The way the ballerina's and male dancers moved their bodies is something I personally never thought was anatomically nor physiologically possible. How talented indeed!

The beach is without a doubt the Best I have ever seen. The water crystal clean and the sand powder white. The warm temperatures of the ocean made it all the more inviting and invigorating to play in. So very beautiful.

The pool area was a fun place to be with lively music and entertainment. The hotel staff came around daily to clean surface debris, pick up cups, plates etc., as well as testing and maintaining the water PH. Overall the pool area was pleasing to the eye for it's cleanliness which contributed to the feel of tranquility.

In summation, I cannot say enough good things about this resort. The entire week's vacation was by far one of the Best ! I absolutely love Mexico, the people, the culture, the food, the weather, and unquestionably the Riu Tequila and all the staff and management who work assiduously to ensure its hospitality and functionality.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Booked our holiday with Thomsons 4 of us, went premier class, flight out ok, got the seats that we reserved. We had a fantastic time, this Hotel does everything possible to please its guests, food was good with plenty of choice, The room was large very clean and well stocked fridge & optics,The entertainment was good, i cant believe they still put socks down there trousers that made us laugh. We had 4 trips out all booked outside (not with Thomsons to expensive) go out of Hotel turn left short walk to shopping mall, the 1st kiosk, Marketin Destinos Playa Car. and they are flexico in Mexico,all our trips were good and we saw a bit of Mexico The beach to this hotel is 1st class, palm trees, clean sand and warm water. our return flight spoilt our Holiday, we did not rush to check in as our seats are reserved the same seats as our flight,out that was not the case, we were all separated, the seat i had was like sitting on a plank of wood. That was the 1st time we had premier class never again, it is not worth the money . i rate this hotel 4 star

Room Tip: do not feed the Racoons
mountain ash
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

This is a fab hotel me and my husband went here on the 1st sept 2012 for our honeymoon and i have to say its the best holiday weve been on were even hoping to go back in june . Soo clean food was brilliant so much choice nd the asian resturant was like having chinese at home which i love . Entertainment was brilliant little revealing but great . No air con in main hotel as its kind of outdoor only aircon in sports bar and your rooms . Cocktails were lush like a slush puppie and pool bar was great. Beach was amazing and soo handy having the beach bar we walked down n back most days but sometimes used the beach buggy which was handy cause it was soo hot . We done the sunrise marina cancun speedboat tour we booked in hotel with thomson it only worked out £45 each and that included transport from hotel n back pizza and soft drinks they also give u a snorkle , mask, and flippers so u dont have to hire them. Outside the hotel there wasnt much to do but to be honest with the hotel entertainment we didnt feel the need to go anywhere. Overall i would definatly go back o this hotel in the future .

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Seaham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

After two days at the hotel i said to the wife i would like to come back next year.The staff were pleasant and the room was very clean.Ample room and quite on a night,the food was great with plenty of choice,location spot on with plenty to do if you get bored around the pool.The entertainment on a night was a bit repetitive but they did there best to get everyone involved.I have been to quite a few places and try not to go to the same place twice but i have got the mexican bug now and will be going back there soon.The trips we went out on can be expensive but on reflection they were worth it.One of the best nights was when we went on the captain hook ship that took us out to sea,what a laugh,from start to finish we just rolled about laughing,well worth a visit.

Room Tip: We were upstairs and the room was fine,reception phoned us up to see if we were happy with our room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Travelled with Thompson's which was the usual rip off service - £90 to pre book seats(which are already paid for so why should we have to pay again to sit where we want) £5 to upgrade TV- to have ability to pause a film when needed- and extortionately priced drinks and snacks. The meal was ok, but the snack that came round later, should just be placed directly in the bin as it was in edible. Its about time Thompson's started providing the service that they charge for- if Emirates can do it, and charge similar prices, why cant Thompson's.

We stayed for two weeks at the Tequilla and had a wonderful time, as we were there for my husbands 50th birthday. Met some really nice friendly people at the hotel and the staff are so friendly they really add to the holiday.

The buffet was really good and there is something for everyone, but a lot of the food is not very hot- which could account for myself and my daughter having bad stomachs for most of the holiday. I like to eat in a la carte restaurants but was very disappointed with the system that operates at this hotel. You can only book the morning that you want to eat and you need to be up early to get what you want. There were queues at 7am for the restaurants and they booked up very quickly. Also you can only book outside the main restaurant so our room was quite a way from the restaurant, which meant a trek on a morning. Some people are early risers, but when I go on holiday I do not want to be up at 7am to book a table. There was also only 2 sittings, 7pm and 9pm and it felt like a conveyor belt system, where they wanted you in and out as quickly as possible. I like to book a table at a restaurant at a time that suits me and not feel pressurised. We also tried to cancel a booking one day and reception told us just not to bother turning up. I feel that is a waste as they could have given this booking to someone else. To compare food, we have stayed in Mexico at the Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda and the restaurants, booking system and food were of a much better quality.

The reception staff are also not very helpful. Tried to pre book a table a few days in advance in the steak house as it was a special occasion(husbands 50th) and they told me to go through the usual booking system. I wanted to know it was pre booked as I also had decorations etc but they would not help me. Tried the Thompson's rep, who was still no help. Don't think this was a dramatic request really, so ended up going into Playa for a meal as the hotel were so unhelpful.

The pool as stated in other reviews is very dirty and does need a very good clean.

The beach however is lovely and there is a very nice breeze so it is much more pleasant than lying round the pool. My husband and daughter went para sailing and loved it.

The nightly shows are poor but the atmosphere in the hotel is good and the barmen are really happy. There's a nightclub which got really full and rather rowdy. The drinks are also included in the nightclub. One night we saw a women who had to be wheeled away from the bar in a luggage trolley as she was so drunk!!

We went to Cancun on the bus. it only cost £3.50 return, but when you arrive you will need to get a taxi or bus into the main part of Cancun as its quite a way out. You can also use the facilities of the Riu Cancun. We asked at reception and they said they would e mail the hotel to let them know. however we just walked in and used the restaurant and no one stopped us- they have the same arm bands.as the Tequilla. The food and set up are exactly the same, but the buffet choice was much better at the Riu Cancun.

You must visit Coco Bongos. My daughter booked the VIP seats for my husbands 50th. We went with friends we had made at the hotel. Unfortunately we did not get VIP seats. After complaining about this we were offered a free night to compensate so we went twice. The next time we had some of the best seats in the house. My advice if you go is to book VIP seats and to get there early to ensure that you get them as it gets very full every night. It really is the best night ever, for all ages and you will not be disappointed.

The positives of the hotel-as it looks like its all negatives-the staff, the cleanliness (cleanest pool toilets I have ever been in ), the atmosphere, the coatis in the hotel, being able to use other Riu hotels and the close vicinity to Playa.

Even though there are some issues with this hotel, we had a really good time and for the money that we paid we liked it.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are better as you can be overrun with coatis on the first floor
Runcorn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Had a fantastic time in mexico staying at the tequila. great hotel, the room was cleaned every day to a very good standard. loved the little buggy taking you down to the beach.food was good and lots of choice. just one little moan,this is the second rui hotel we have stayed in and the entertainment could be better. But overall a great place for a holiday.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to ClubHotel Riu Tequila? Share your experiences!