Stayed here for 3 days (2 adults + 2 kids) in Dec 2013. Good value for money, because kids stay & eat free.
It's a nice hotel with a great beach, but public areas could use a remodel. The beach is large, fine brown sand, and stretches in both directions. The sea was shallow enough to allow wading in for quite a bit.
Rooms were big and are in 3-level units. None of the rooms have beach views, but the property has nice landscaping and coconut palms on the beach for shade. A curtain separates the bedroom from the bathroom. Bed and mattress were big, but average. The toilet area of the bathroom has its own door. The room and safe have old-fashioned, regular keys, not the more convenient card & digital keys, so you only get one key to share. The units stretch from the lobby to the beach -- the units near the lobby may be quieter because the units near the beach are near the night entertainment stage, which can be loud till 11 PM.
Food was fine and service was friendly. However no one ever came around to ask if we needed drinks while we were on the loungers near the pool or the beach. This was different from the two other Rius we've been to, where service was better.
The pools and dining areas look old and could use a remodel. Towel service was very good.
Guests can use the other Rius near this property, but not the Riu Palaces, for everything except dinner. Dinner is required to be eaten at Riu Playacar. The Riu Tequila across the street is very nice, and has a much better lobby, dining areas and pool. However the Riu Tequila has a longer walk to the beach. I would stay at the Riu Tequila instead if you don't mind the 8 min walk to the beach.
No gym or spa, but you can use the ones in the other Riu properties (cannot use Riu Palaces).
There is an Alamo car rental desk and an ATM in the lobby. The Playacar Shop Market is a small shopping mall, right across the property, which has an Avis car rental.
The hotel is about 20 min walk to the Quinta Avenida (5th Avenue), which is main tourist drag in Playa Del Carmen. Taxi to the south end of 5th Avenue is 70 pesos. Taxi back from 5th & Avenue Constituyentes is 100 pesos. Taxi to Cancun airport is 550 pesos and takes about 45-60 min.
Check out was at 12:00 noon, and since our flight was later, they gave us a free pass after check out to use the resort, including lunch & drinks. The lobby has a room to keep luggage after check out if you have a later flight.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Playacar
- Riu Playacar Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Playacar Hotel
- Riu Playacar Reviews
- Playacar Hotels
- Riu Playacar Mexico
- Hotel Riu Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
- Rui Playacar
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 miles from Playa del Carmen * In the Playacar resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 2-storey bungalow complex * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Surrounded by 16,000 m2/19,000 sq. yards of lush gardens * Mexican Street, next to Riu Yucatan * 100 m/325 ft. from various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp. and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.