We have been to this area of Mexico before and chose this hotel as it was nearer to Playa Del Carmen than our previous stay. In our opinion it was better being more local to Playa, because being all inclusive (as both stays were), it was nice to get out and enjoy alternative surroundings a few times during our holiday.
Taxis are available from the hotel for 70 Pesos( approx. £3.50) to Playa del Carmen and 5th Avenue.
5th Avenue is definitely the place to go to enjoy the odd night, or even day out. There are many bars and restaurants, and also you are sure to find all your presents to take home here.
Back to the hotel, It's not a bad hotel. It is a little dated but then this is reflected in the price you pay and also location comes into this. You would pay more for a better hotel further down the coast and away from Playa.
It is a smallish hotel, with several blocks along a central pathway between reception/lobby bar/buffet restaurant leading to the pool/beach and theatre.
We arrived in the middle of the afternoon and check in was very quick. Our bags were taken to our room while we had a drink or two, (or three) in the lobby bar.
The room was of a reasonable standard with an iron/ironing board, several TV channels in English, Mini-fridge topped up every other day (but if you ask reception they will top it up whenever you like). There are also optics in the room which are topped up when empty. I believe that if you want alternative liquors to that provided this will be supplied if requested.
The rooms are air conditioned and in our room this was left on all day and worked very well. At night we turned it off otherwise we would have been to cold, but it was nice to return to our room after a day in the sun and chill!!
The buffet restaurant has a good selection of food, including chicken, beef, pasta, beef, and of course Mexican. chips are served every day. I would consider myself a selective eater and every day I found food I enjoyed. A good selection of sweets was also available.
The entertainment staff (animation team) were really good and worked very hard throughout the day and night. They organised all activities around the pool and beach and also took part in the evening entertainment in the theatre.
My only criticism was that, the evening shows in the theatre was always based on dancing. This seemed to be the same dance routine but different music. Every night at the theatre did get a little boring a there is nowhere else to go unless you have a night out in Playa which is obviously not part of you All inclusive package. I would like to have seen alternative shows which did not include dancing! ( I hope tour operators read this and take note).
Al the staff at the Riu Playacar were very nice, always friendly and very helpful. I would like to thank Willy and Nestor in the buffet restaurant who both provided a great service every day and night. I hope management read this and acknowledge our appreciation!
One other thing, The beach and sea is stunning. Perfect white sandy beach, crystal clear waters, no rocks or seaweed, fish swimming around you, what more could you want!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * In the Playacar resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 2-storey bungalow complex * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Surrounded by 16,000 m2/19,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Mexican Street, next to Riu Yucatan * 100 m/325 ft. From various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, BookIt.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hotel Riu Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Playacar Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Playacar Reviews
- Playacar Hotels
- Riu Playacar Mexico
- Rui Playacar
- Hotel Riu Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico