“40th Birthday Great Trip and Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort

You added Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort to your Saves list
Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Pto Juarez Km 295, Solidaridad, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #65 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Swift Current, Canada
“40th Birthday Great Trip and Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Service: The service was great from the Buffet to the A la Cartes to the Front Desk. Big thanks to Rafeal at front desk for moving our family to a new room closer to the restaurants, pools and beach. My daughter has juvenile arthritis and we needed a room closer, and with a full resort Rafeal at front desk squeezes us into a new room. Staff were not greedy for tips like some resorts i have been too.

Pros: Italian and Brazilian A la Carte Awesome. Buffets were great with ice cream at them all. Pools were awesome and Water Park was great for our 3 and 6 year old kids. However if you have kids older than 6 they will be too old for the water park. My 6 year old liked it first 2 days and then would rather go to pools and beach. The animals at the resort were unreal. Turtles, Fish, Iguanas, Donkeys, Deer, Peacocks, Parrots, Raccons, Cats and some other varmit not sure what they were called. All animals were great, and were not too scared of any of them even when there is 14 racoons around you. They seemed very tame almost able to pet. Could not believe there was 5 iguanas at the pool it was awesome, one even ran between my daughters legs. I think i saw a tarantula on my way to the gym one morning but from a 20-30 feet distance not quite sure it was for sure. Gym and Spa were way better than any other resort i went too. Staff constantly painting, sweeping and keeping the resort in very good shape. Internet room was never busy always got a computer. FREE Snorkeling right behind the lobby, WOW did our kids love that!

Cons: had 3 days without air conditioner. Told the person who was cleaning rooms twice but due to his english skills don't think it got relayed to appropriate personal. After 3 days of hot night i called front desk and it was fixed that day. After you check in the person who gives you the keys will tell you to go with an individual, this individual will try and sell you an upgrade and to come for a Time Share the following day. Wifi didn't work in Theatre and was painfully slow in the lobby go to internet room if you need to get on the internet.

Overall a great Hotel and i would stay here again for sure in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,124)
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We stayed at Sandos March 2nd to 9th 2014. This was my second time at this resort, we decided this would be a great location for my son and his fiance to be married, There were 47 of us in the group to stay here and overaull I think everyone was pleased. The wedding planner was superb, she handled everything, the ceremony and venue were classy and beyond our expectations. they did an awesome job. This is an excellent location for families especially with small children. The kids club and water park are the best for keeping the little ones happy. My grandson celebrated his 6th birthday while at the hotel and I have to tell you how 2 of the staff at the international buffet went out of their way for this little boy and our family. Roberto Canul and Adi Mireya decorated our favourite table with balloons, fine dining glassware, champagne for adults, birthday cake and a mariachi band came to sing happy birthday to him. What a wonderful experience and memory for him as well as the rest of us. Both these workers welcomed us every night with a smile, welcome and always courtious. We did not even make it to an alacarte restaraunt at all. We had the best service wit these two staff. The only issues we had at the hotel were that our room was in building 43 and way too far to walk to beach and restaraunts with small children. Next time we would request to be closer to lobby and restaraunts. The other issue was the sand mites/flies. Mine did not show bad up until after we got home, they grew to at least nickel size , nasty red and itchy. My doctor told me they are sand mites/flies. They only bite the bottom of the legs and feet because they hop and cannot fly. My suggestion is to stay by the pool or make sure you wear some kind of repellent. I have purchased a product called Mayan Oil for my next trip to the Carribean, apparently it works amazingly on these nasty bites.

Room Tip: My elderly parents were put on the 2nd floor,and my mother has had knee surgery my husband along wi...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

I had been to Playa Del Carmen and the Mayan Riviera over 5 previous times and had always truly enjoyed myself. I'm not picky at all and in this occasion my wife and I knew that Sandos Caracol had a poor beach and that it wasn't at the level of the Iberostar or Riu resorts we had previously visited, but we didn't mind as we expected to enjoy some quality time together and the freedom to take a quick taxi ride to gorgeous Mamita's beach at Playa Del Carmen. However, we found ourselves under pressure from very skilled and persistent timeshare salespeople at Sandos. We felt like prey as they would constantly approach us and try to persuade us to accept their "tours," which we skirted knowing that they were trying to get us to bring our credit cards to sign up for their timeshare program called "private club." The more we avoided them, the more persistent they would become. It was like they had a duty to catch all guests and enroll us in these "tours." Consequently, I can't recommend this experience to anyone.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sandos_Caracol, Director General at Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

While extending you a warm regard, I would like to deeply thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay at the Sandos Caracol in this internet site.

I am sorry to see that your experience with the members of the vacation club was not the best; I apologize for that as they do not see you the way you perceived it.

I have shared this review with the vacation club manager so that he will review it and take appropriate measures aimed at avoiding that any future guest leave our hotel with a similar impression to the one you have shared in this traveler’s site.

Kindest wishes,

Luis Ramirez
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa
CT/NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

I was excited when I found Sandos Caracol in my searches for a tropical vacation...never heard of an 'eco-resort', nor a resort with Mayan ruins on the property or a cenote either!! Well it lived up to expectations! Wow this place is HUGE and there are SO MANY things to do, the cliche saying is true here, there is something for everybody! There are lots of animals on the property like donkeys, peacocks, cats (all fed and taken care by the resort), Coati (raccoons) lizards, iguanas, butterflies, turtles etc. My husband saw a bunch of large monkeys climb from the trees onto a neighboring balcony to the roof...I'm sorry I missed it! There was even a friendly German Shepard on the beach! I'm not a dog person, but he was so cute running around trying to play in the surf!

We swam in the cenote which was really cool. They didn't have the snorkel tubes, only the masks, but it wasn't a big deal since we did a snorkel excursion and there aren't too many fish in the cenote anyway. We took advantage of the free use of the bikes to check out the Mayan ruins. That was cool! We went to the disco one night, it was nice inside but we didn't stay long (it doesn't open til 11 which is a bummer, would be nice if it opened at 9 so we could enjoy after dinner)

We booked the Adults Only Select Club jacuzzi suite. There is an adults only area of the beach which has the most fabulous comfortable sun loungers and beds, with hammocks too and waiter service. It has it's own clubhouse with snacks and bar. Loved having those amenities so close to my beach spot. However, there were a TON of kids in the water in front of our area, I suppose they can't ask them to stay on the family side which was annoying, but not the resorts fault. So don't expect your beach spot to be 'adults only' once you get close to the water...the families were even bringing their towels and chairs over to the water's edge! There were almost no families in the vast area of ocean in the families section due to the rocks.

The beach is VERY rocky and I would say this was the only downfall. We read about the rocks in reviews prior to our visit, so we brought water socks which helped a lot. Even so, I scraped my ankle on a rock, and got a sea urchin spine stuck under my nail after going to lean on a big rock for support. A medic quickly came to me at the beach to check me out and determined I had gotten all the spine out and cleaned up the area with sterile spray. So not a big deal but be careful!! Definitely bring water socks or you are really going to have to tip toe in the ocean and plot each walk in and out of the water carefully to avoid cutting or scraping your feet!

The adults only pool and chill out pool were nice; we didn't try the main pool in an effort to avoid the crowds and kids.

As a married couple in our 30s, we like to book adults only trips. Although the resort is shared with families outside of the adults only section, we really were not annoyed by the kids around at all...oddly enough the kids seemed well behaved, and I think it may be because there is so much to keep the kids entertained and happy!

The grounds are beautiful and nicely maintained, cool plants, flowers and trees all over to look at.

They put on 3 types of Mayan shows per week and we got to see two of them. I've been to lots of all inclusives and never have I seen such costumes and unique shows as these! The first one was supposed to be at the cenote but moved to the indoor theater due to recent rain, and the second one was a fire show at an area of grounds near the ruins. They served Mayan food before the show and we absolutely loved it. Something different!

Food was very good. Of course not all buffet food is not going to be delicious, but there was lots of variety and all the ala carte meals were great. We also loved the tacos at the buffet and of course the Mexican food!

It's all inclusive but what was different than other all inclusives I've been to, is that there was only beer in the room. There was a free bottle of wine the first day, but other than that they restock the minibar every other day and do not have bottles of liquor or wine in the room. So it was kind of annoying in that sense, but we carried 3 drinks each to our room from the lobby bar LOL and bought a small bottle of tequila.

The bed was extremely comfortable and we loved the jacuzzi. The room was small but perfect for our 5 night stay.

All staff members we encountered were friendly and helpful. It's a very well run place.

I love the 'eco-resort' idea and hope more resorts follow suit. They don't use straws in the drinks and we honestly did not even miss them. They don't have water bottles but there are recyclable cups all over the resort with drink dispensers, and a cooler in our room. My husband and I like to recycle and think green, so we were really impressed by the effort the resort is making to be kind to the environment.

We also took advantage of a free romantic boat ride which was a quick canoe trip along a small river on the resort...it included a bottle of champagne and choc-covered strawberries!

While we didn't have wi-fi in our room, it was available at the beach and other areas for when we wanted to check in. I did not mind taking a break from the internet though!!

Very impressive overall...a fantastic time with endless choices for food, relaxation and fun!

Room Tip: The adults only section is farthest from the beach, but close to the lobby and main resort activitie...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Battleford, sk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed at this resort in January and enjoyed it so much we are going back again in April and we cant wait !
Very hard to find a negative about this resort, and no, we are not first time travellers, we have been to all-inclusives many times in all areas of Mexico.
The grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. Although I have read complaints about the cats and animals we enjoy it, all the cats at the resort are rescue cats and are fixed and fed regularly and also are monitored by a local rescue agency. The tame raccoons are also a nice bonus since here in Canada they are wild and a nuisance.
The food is excellent at all restaurants we went to and the buffets are great with changing variety, lots and lots of fresh fruit and veggies and a wide variety of everything.
We found the rooms to be very clean with nice size bathrooms (double sinks which were great for 3 people including a teenager), the rooms have a safe (free), and a fridge which includes pop, juice , and cold canned beer (sol and dos equies), which is stocked every other day, and also a water cooler for cold fresh water, a huge bonus !!.
Cant say enough good about Sandos Caracol, please take all the bad reviews with a grain of salt knowing its very hard to keep people happy these days, it was excellent for us, cant wait to return and post another good review about the resort.
I should also add that the night it rained there the staff left umbrellas outside all the rooms for our convenience, its the little things that make the difference, right?

Room Tip: We stayed in building 29, its far away from the lobby and pools so its very quiet, its also right ac...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
St.Laurent , Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is wonderful would highly recommend . The service was excellent. All of the service personnel , from the front desk check- in through to the maid service were all super super nice. Warm and welcoming. Plan to return most definitely in the near future. Especially Yuvet in the Royal Elite check in. She went above and beyond and always had a beautiful smile for us whatever time of day .

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We were thrilled with the Sandos Caracol Eco Resort. The people were great, the accommodations were great, and the food was good. The resort has wildlife including wild monkeys, turtles and birds. Be sure to take the ECO Tours of the resort. We enjoyed seeing the authentic Mayan ruins and swimming in the cenotes; all within the grounds of the resort. I SCUBA dived with the Scuba Libre dive shop right on the beach within the resort and had 3 great days of diving. Good boat and good dive masters.

The adults only sections were "kid free" and nice. We don't have children, but from what I saw, it looked like a good resort for adults without children AND families too. I'd certainly recommend this resort.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort? Share your experiences!