“Peaceful setting” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Pto Juarez Km 295, Solidaridad, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #73 of 199 hotels in Playa del Carmen
San Diego, California
“Peaceful setting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The resort has nice features and grounds, but the overall scope is more like a huge summer camp or cruise ship. The nature aspects were beautiful, but the food was average at best. The dinner requiring reservations was a joke as we had to wait to eat at almost 10 pm due to limited availability, while arriving at the restaurant revealed four occupied tables among 20 tables. The wait staff was all standing around laughing and joking toward the kitchen area with generally slow service and several items on the menu being unavailable and others consisting of different ingredients than represented (won ton soup that amounted to warm broth without a single won ton).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sandos_Caracol, General Manager at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for the times invested in sharing this review with readers of this important internet page, as well as we us at the Sandos Caracol.

I am sorry to see that apparently base on the dimensions of our resort, you find it as stated in your review, more like a summer camp or cruise ship. We are indeed a huge resort, but due to the distribution of bars, pools and restaurants, not to mention one of the most beautiful jungles along the entire Riviera Maya, I believe that our customers do not necessarily perceive our hotel as you have described, at least not the vast majority, although I must say that I respect your opinion.

With respect to your comment about the food, I would like to inform you that although most comments related to our food selection, quality and variety are positive, we keep introducing new improvements and do our utmost to elevate the quality of our existing restaurants. Just to give you an idea, by early December we are likely to inaugurate a brand new Japanese restaurant. We are also working hard trying to open by mid or late December a brand new Vegetarian restaurant, choices which not only will be new in our hotel, but very popular in mot tourist destinations.

The additions in terms of the number of restaurants should give us more than enough a la carte dinner’s spaces for our customers and will certainly allow us for more flexibility in terms of the number of dinners we can provide them with.

In previous responses online, I have reiterate our customers and readers of this pages, that for pre-arrange reservations for the a la carte restaurants when coming to our hotel, they can directly do this by contacting our guest service manager at the following mail address:
Chiefconcierge.caracol@sandos.com

I hope that all in all the good memories you took of our hotel, overweighed the negative ones, and we do certainly hope having back in our hotel so that you can experience the many improvements taking place now and those that will follow in the months and years to come.

Kindest wishes,

Luís Ramírez
Director.caracol@sandos.com

6,656 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,016)
  • Polish first
Fort Saint John, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I just got married in a beautiful ceremony on the beach at the Sandos Caracol Eco Resort. Fernanda the wedding planner made it a breeze. She had everything all set up, we drove to the beach in a golf cart, had a beautiful place to saw our vows to each other and the world and at the end of it we were greeted with Champagne at the end of the "aisle".
This day would not have been possible without her.
In addition to the beautiful wedding, the rooms were fabulous the food was delicious and every care or need we had was met with a smile.
I would suggest this resort to anyone who loves the Jungle,the beach, good food and the feeling of safety.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask if there is any construction going on while you are there, I didn't have this...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sandos_Caracol, General Manager at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your positive experience.

For me personally as the manager of this hotel, here is no greater satisfaction, than receiving beautiful reviews and nice comments from our customers.

I have certainly shared with our team members this nice review. They will truly and immensely appreciate hearing from satisfied guests like you, particularly Fernanda your wedding coordinator who is indeed one of our finest members.

I am so very pleased to hear that you had such a memorable and enjoyable stay.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again so that we may continue to provide you with the first class service that you deserve.

Grande Prairie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at the Sandos Caracol for 10 days at the end of October. Overall, I'd say the trip was great...we have 3 kids, ages 9, 11 & 12, and they all had a fabulous time. They had never been to Mexico or a resort like that before so everything was new and wonderful for them. For my husband and myself, it was less so, however, we knew going in that this was only a 3 1/2 star resort, and just as the concierge said on the first night - "not the most luxurious" resort out there.

Negatives:
Food....the food was just okay. We didn't starve, we always found something to eat, but it got tiresome after a week for sure, and we've experienced much better in the Riviera Maya at other resorts.

Swimming.....the beach area itself was wonderful, with beautiful white sand (although they could definitely use more huts on the beach, we would go down by 7:30 to get our lounge chairs and some days it was slim pickings already!); however the swimming areas were awful, full of rocks and coral. We had expected it to be a little bad because of reviews we'd read here, but even with water shoes, my husband and kids ended up with cut feet, knees, hands, etc. I just stayed out of the water, I didn't enjoy having to watch every step I took!

Rooms....I could definitely see why part of the hotel was closed for renovations, the rooms are in need of it. Our shower was nasty, all the water drained to the wrong end and sat there stagnant and stinking. The water pressure in the shower was low to nonexistent (seriously - we'd be in the middle of a shower and the water would just taper off to absolutely nothing!), the temperature would change at will and constantly from freezing to boiling...it was ridiculous.
However, it wasn't anything that even came close to ruining our experience...it was just irritating, and once they get all the rooms renovated, I think those problems will be taken care of and they'll be beautiful.

Now to the positive:
Service....I would say the people who work at this resort are worthy of 5 stars on their own. Very friendly staff and excellent service. The grounds and rooms were kept VERY clean, the housekeepers always left little towel animals on our bed, the fridge was well-stocked....the staff here seem to be happy and hard-working. From the front desk, to the restaurants and buffet, to the bars, for the most part everybody was great. Eric at the pool bar was especially wonderful...my kids LOVED him!

Pools....it was great that they had the 3 different options - adult, quiet and main pools, plus the waterpark. Definitely made it possible to mix things up a little. My kids tried the waterpark one afternoon and had alot of fun, but didn't want to go back, so maybe it was just a little young for them. Same with the quiet pool. So we spent all our time at the main pool, where they had music, games and activities, and at the beach. The activities at the main pool were quite well done and they had fun just watching alot of time. They went to the Kids Club one evening, just to try it out....it was geared for a younger crowd for sure, but they had lots of fun and like so many other things here - it made for variety in our activities.

Activities....the staff did a great job of keeping the guests entertained - from activites at the pool, to beach volleyball and soccer, to the sorkeling and boogie boards - there were lots of options to keep the kids busy!
The shows that we saw were very well done....we only caught a couple but really enjoyed what we saw. The kids liked the afternoon movies as well...we wish that they'd all had sub-titles, but the ones that did were a nice break from the sun and something different!

The resort itself was an unusual experience....the smells in some areas were a little off-putting, especially crossing the bridge into the International Buffet....not a nice introduction to a restaurant at all!! For the most part, the jungle experience was pretty cool, with the animals everywhere and interesting paths. At night it got a little too dark, but it was quite pretty during the day. And we enjoyed all the different routes and paths to take around the grounds...mixed things up and became a game to pick the fastest route!
Our first night there we were given a room in the 45 block, which are the absolute furthest rooms from everything....however when we asked for a different room, they switched us the very next day with absolutely no issue. We packed up our stuff in the morning, switched our keys at the desk and our luggage was delivered to the new room within a few hours - another example of their excellent customer service.
The bellboys and front desk staff were fabulous at check-in and at check-out as well......there was no wait at all, we were delivered right to our room after check-in; and at check-out, we just packed up our stuff, called the desk, and then went out to enjoy our last morning at the beach....when we were ready to leave, our luggage was all sitting in the lobby waiting for us.

Although we probably wouldn't return to this particular resort (partly because we like to try new places and partly because the swimming area was a disappointment), we would try a Sandos again and we would DEFINITELY recommend this resort to other families like ourselves - larger than 4 people and on a budget!! I think because our expectations were realistic, we enjoyed our vacation, our kids had a fabulous time, they can't wait to go to Mexico again and we left with wonderful memories of this resort!

Room Tip: Rooms with lower numbers are closer to the beach, pools and restaurants.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Our trip to the Mayan Riviera was amazing and made even more fabulous by our experience at this resort.
Safe, clean, quiet when wanted and bustling with energy when you needed to find it.
We upgraded to the Royal Elite adults only section and really enjoyed the room, bed and quiet relaxing environment..the walk not so much! However - the wonderful adults only area was worth the upgrade and walk every am.
My only disappoinment was with the experience with the Photo gallery. We booked pictures on the beach which proved to be fun and a wonderful experience. We seemed to connect with our photographer and when we were picking our packages she told us our price ...I reverbalized the amount in US dollars. The photograper confirmed the sum and I paid with my visa. The photographer overrode the visa pin and asked me to sign the slip...which I hesitated..but did.
To my discovery once back on Canadian soil my amount went from 83.00 to 830.00 ...with one extra zero I thought a mistake was made. I contacted Visa and they confirmed I signed for that amount. Buyer beware.
I tried several times for the photography studio to rectify the situation and the hotel to look into this.
Neither party was willing to satisfy my inquiry or compromise on a solution.
We are going back to the Mayan Riviera ..actually in just under three weeks.
We have made reservations at another resort and are taking three more people.
Resort, accommodations, service, food, locations and libations great....but....

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

While extending you a warm regard, I would like deeply thank you for sharing with us your views, comments and suggestions as this is of paramount importance for Sandos Caracol as a hotel which strives to be better day after day.

On the one hand, I am thrilled to hear that you and your family had a great time here with us in paradise regardless of the negative note which I will address ahead..

Indeed our Select Club rooms are becoming more and more popular and we have been getting very good feed back regarding location, design, accommodations and amenities.
An increasing number of our guests are making us aware of their satisfaction with the Select Club services, particularly those looking for a quiet stay in an adult’s only environment.

At Sandos Caracol , we work very hard at trying to satisfy all our guest needs and make sure their vacations are filled with nothing but fond memories and good service from our staff.

In response to your comments related to what I hope is nothing but an unfortunate mistake rather than a dishonest act, I have found nothing within our records.
Please provide me with a phone number in which we can get in touch with you and have further details of the situation you have detailed or just feel free to contact me to the mail address listed below. Please make certain to highlight the name of the individual who was in touch with you over this situation, both from our hotel as well as from the photo shop so that we can speak to both of them and see why there was not follow up as I know my entire team to be very diligent when it comes to assisting our customers even after they leave our premises.

The Photo Shops is a very serious and professional company which have shown over the years a deep commitment to provide our customers with good service and for this, we have entrusted our guests to them for the past years.

Rest assure that we will follow up on this serious issue trying to get to the bottom of how this situation happened, how we can prevent it from happening again, and if indeed any wrong doing is proven, the individual involved, will have to leave our hotel and his boss will have to accept full responsibility and rebate the wrong charges to your card.

We personally value the individual contributions in sites such as tripadvisor, not matter if it is a first time contributor or a senior one. The opinion of every person counts, and is both, legitimate and important for we value what every customer says.

Once again I thank you for your review and for choosing Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa and hope that we can resolve to your satisfaction this situation in an expeditious manner.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

director.caracol@sandos.com
Abbotsford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My newlywed husband and I just can't say enough great things about Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa. This is our 8th all inclusive vacation from all across the Caribbean and we can definitely say that it is our favorite resort yet! Our room (Penthouse, Jacuzzi, Select Club room 7022) was the nicest room that we have ever had in an all inclusive, which we have stayed at many so called "5*" resorts, and this room tops them all. We absolutely loved the Select Club restaurant that was open all day everyday, with the exception of dinner time when it changed into the Brazilian restaurant. All the staff that worked in this restaurant were exceptional, and service was second to none, not to mention the food was good too!

We found the food to be awesome, with a wide variety of food to choose from, including healthier options, which is nice.

We just absolutely loved the layout of the resort, since we found it very easy to find our way around, unlike other larger resorts that we have stayed at. There is so much to do around the resort, that you really don't feel the need to leave. We left the resort one day to go into Playa De Carmen and took a cab there at the resort for $14 US, and decided to walk back to the resort along the beach, which took aproximately 2 1/2 hours and was a beautiful walk.

Now for our wedding day, thanks to Fernanda and Andrea for making it one of the most memorable days of our lives! We had a beautiful, intimate ceremony on the beach in the new wicker domes by the Elite Club area, followed by a romantic boat ride, and then had spectacular romantic dinner for two on the beach (which was no extra charge because we ate from the La Riveria Restaurant) and the food was fantastic. To finish off the night, our room was beautifully decorated when we returned home that night, with rose petals, candles, "Just Married" T-shirts, etc. Both Fernanda and Andrea were available for any questions or requests we had before our nuptials, and continued to check in with us for the rest of our trip, which we feel was above and beyond.

Marco (Sandos Photographer) did a fabulous job on our photos, and we had so many great shots to choose from. Since it was just my husband and I on this trip, we definitely found purchasing all our photos on DVD for $350.00 US a good deal.

I took the yoga class one morning, which was probably one of the best yoga classes I have ever taken!

All in all, this resort was by far the nicest resort we have ever stayed at, when you take in consideration, the food, rooms, resort activities, layout, service and overall value. We can't wait to return (hopefully to celebrate our 1 yr Wedding Anniversary) next year, and next time we hope to stay for 2 weeks.

We would highly recommend this resort to both families and couples, since we feel it meets the needs of everyone, with the exceptional of young party goers.

Thank you so much Sandos for making our holiday one we will remember forever!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Sandos Caracol family, I would like to deeply thank you for taking the time to share the positive vacation experience in our hotel.

I am extremely happy to see that you had a fantastic trip and a wonderful wedding celebration.

Rest assured that I will share with our team members this nice review. Each one of them will truly appreciate when reading this beautiful recognition to their hard work, particularly Fernanda and Andrea your wedding coordinators who are part of the very best of our hotel.

I am very pleased to hear that you had such a memorable and enjoyable stay and I do hope that your wedding anniversary will be an opportunity to revisit this unique place..

Hoping to see you soon in this, “your home away from home”

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We visited this all inclusive hotel in October 2012. Mixed feelings.

The good:

1.Great for kids. The water park and Kids Club are wonderful. Pictures don't do them justice. Our kids LOVED the Club, got tired of the water park sooner than we expected.

2. Very nice, helpful, accommodating staff. The girls at the Kids Club pleasant, fun, children loved them.

3. The territory is nice, beach has pretty good access to the water, not too much rock.

and the bad:

1. Food - I have to say it was bad. I know that all inclusive hotel is not usually what you call a "foodie destination" but this was much worse than any all inclusive food experience we've had in the past. We did not go hungry for a week, the short order cooks will make great eggs for your breakfast and the pastries are always fresh and very tasty but the rest of what was offered was pretty sad. I can go on for a while when it comes to food, but you get the picture.

2. Rooms: clean, but the furniture was dated, scratched and mattresses squeaky and uncomfortable.

3. Evening shows: couple of them were OK, but again, if you have previous better experience, you will not be impressed.

Overall: if you want to relax and get a bit of a break from being with the kids all day - you can experience that at Sandos.

If you are looking for a bit of luxury - pick another hotel.

Family of four, Austin, TX

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

On behalf of everybody at the Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa I would like to sincerely thank you for expressing your opinion of our hotel in this internet site.

I am very happy to know that you children enjoyed our water park facilities and that you found our staff very friendly and accommodating.

I also would like to express that I am sorry to see that some specific aspects were not up to your expectations.

In terms of the impression you convey related to our food selection, we get picture and although we do not see it the way you do, you can be sure that we will review your comments with our executive chef and we will take steps aimed at improving our overall food selection and quality as well since we value and respect every single comment from our customrs.

I am glad to inform you that at this very moment some 146 rooms are being up-dated. We have been working for the past years trying to improve our hotel, create more choices for our customers and improve our services, part of this, is the reform of the Royal Elite Section aprox. 99 rooms, the Adults only section with over 200 rooms and most recently the family section in which we will continuous working until the entire section has been completely up-dated and impressions like yours, will be nonexistent

I do personally believe that we have some of the most amazing shows anybody can expect along the Riviera Maya. Our fire ceremony which takes place every Thursday in the middle of the jungle is second to none. I am not sure if you saw it, but I pretty much doubt that any hotel can provide customers with a similar experience.
The offer to Chaac Ceremony on Tuesday around a natural cenote is also unique. Both of these particular ceremonies are not just visually beautiful, colorful and impresive, but culturally rich and give our visitors something unique in terms of mayan culture and history.

The Michael Jackson show which takes place on Sundays is one of the best you can see anywhere else. I have had the opportunity to see some MJ impersonators in Asia, Dominican Republic, the us and Europe and I can honestly tell you that we have the best one in our hotel.

We are currently working hard and our entertainment staff is rehearsing day in and day out in order to add to our current list of shows, two brand new shows of enormous quality. We hope that by the end of the year both of those new shows will be ready and I am more than confident that you will be hearing a lot through these pages of the satisfaction from our visitors.

Finally I must stress that Sandos Caracol is not and has never pretended to be a luxury hotel, we are a family oriented resort, with sections for adults, a vacation club for members and a hotel which above anything strives to give more to our customers and to be very different from the rest out there. Our hotel is beautiful, unique and by far one of the most relaxing anybody could think of, and although we keep improving our services and adding majestic brand new restaurants as Los Lirios and outspend most resorts in investments on shows which pays tribute to mayan culture and Mexico as a country with a rich culture, luxury is not what we have in mind when planning to give our customers a unique peace of paradise at the heart of the Caribbean.

Thanks for your contribution, thanks for your insight.

Kindest wishes,

Luís Ramírez
Director.caracol@sandos.com
Findlay, Ohio, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I will put a more detailed review in when I get back. Currently I am on the property and would be more than happy to recommend Sandos Cracol to anyone. The price is right, the rooms, are great, plenty to do. It's obvious that owe that are complaining don't have anything else to do but complain so you can ignore those comments. We even took the timeshare tour and had a great time with no pressure to buy anything and they paid me to take the tour. I know big surprise. Yes they are doing construction currently but it's not really noticeable and they are upfront about it at check in and from what I can tell the construction will make Sandos Caracol better than it already is.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Sandos Caracol family, I would like to deeply thank you for taking the time to share this review related to your current stay at the Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa.

I am very happy to know that you and your husband are enjoying our hotel and that regardless of the current work within our hotel aimed at reaching new heights and provide our customers with better facilities and better services, you are all in all having a great time.

It has been a pleasure talking to you occasionally and having your feed back.

Rest assured that we will continuo the good work and keep striving to make this hotel better by every passing day.

We are very happy to see online good comments about our hotel and services and particularly those from our repeat guest as those comments are a confirmation that we are doing things the right way.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Free Breakfast...
Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa
Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & S...
#60 of 199 in Playa del Carmen
#124 of 199 in Playa del Carmen
3.5 of 5 stars 5,124 reviews
Luxury, Restaur...
Occidental Grand Xcaret & Royal Club
Occidental Grand Xcaret & Royal ...
#98 of 199 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 stars 6,531 reviews
Pool, Luxury, R...
Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Grand Riviera Princess All Suite...
#95 of 199 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#31 of 199 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 stars 4,082 reviews

Been to Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!