“We were very happy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort

You added Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort to your Saves list
Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Pto Juarez Km 295, Solidaridad, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #71 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Cleveland, Ohio
“We were very happy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

Me and my 11 year old daughter spend 6 nights at Sandos Caracol (April 25 - May 1). We had really good time. It was my second trip to Mexico's AI (Riu Tequila previously) and I will say that - everything went great. The key (in my opinion) to a satisfying vacation is 1) know what you want (in my case: 3 1/2 star hotel, AI, kids friendly and with a lot of shade, close to Playa del Carmen); 2) good research of the hotel (thank you Trip Advisor), and last - maybe the most important: NO EXPECTATIONS.

Now to the Sandos Caracol: since I want to have contact with my husband at home I choose the Select Club for their Beach Club internet access.

Our room was in building 64, close to Select Club pool and to the lobby. In the room: the bed was OK, no musky smell, clean and wonderful with jungle view - peaceful and quiet. We had some "more party orientated" people in our block, but I or my daughter didn't have any problems sleeping (two times though someone tried to enter our room at night - but I was locking the door from inside - so no intruders). This is a note to anyone with this kind of problem: all rooms have inside lock (not just chain) that you can use and no card will open your door from outside.

FOOD: we ate at Brazilian restaurant (very good if you like meat), Mediterranean restaurant (great) and Oriental (very good). To all who complain about slow service in all restaurants: try to avoid making your reservations on Wednesday. All staff is shifted to Mexican Night and the restaurants are just simply short staffed. Our Oriental restaurant reservation I made on Wed. (my mistake, since I thought that the Mexican night is on Thursday) and we missed the great looking Mexican food served outside. And the service was slow - we tipped the waitress in the Oriental restaurant regardless - he was working extremely hard to fulfill the missing staff. Snack bar: mostly fast food - not my preferable food - but kids in the resort loved it. We ate breakfasts in Italian restaurant - very, very nice; and lunches just snacking on Beach Select Club offerings - very nice sandwiches, nuts, fruits etc. La Laguna - buffet - eat just once and it was too crowded, but plentiful of food for every taste.

BEACH: incredible views, white sand and some rocks - my daughter favorite spot for fish photo-hunting. We liked walks on the beach, looking for shells and discovering ocean-small creature’s lives - fascinating!
TIP: If you are looking for a great massage with relaxing wave sound - just walk past Select Beach Club; just keep walking past the Sandos Spa on the beach, until the Massages sign on white banner - $30.00 US for a 1hour soft tissue/deep tissue/relaxing massage. Great experience. Too bad for me - I had mine on the day before we left.
EXPLORING: we planned one excursion - Xplor this time - wonderful experience - check their website - I purchased the tickets over the internet at home (10% off) and took a taxi there (250.00 Pesos each way) - worth it, since we were the bosses on our vacation and wanted to have some flexibility - not follow anyone’s schedule - it took us 25 minutes each way - not over the hour for big buses transportation - and financially not a big difference - highly recommended!
Playa del Carmen: 120.00 pesos each way taxi - great town and worth exploring and spending the time in - it changed a lot since our last visit, two years ago - lots of restaurants, stores, cafés...we went twice: first for nice evening and chatting with my husband over the Skye in café with free WiFi, taking money from ATM (bank one) and braids. The second time for shopping for souvenirs - try markets on 5th Ave close to 1, 2, 3 Calle - best prices and if you are good in bargaining - 1/3 of the price in store at Sandos and 1/8 of those from vendors from Mexican night - this same things!!!

Sandos Caracol is such a resort that (in my opinion) everyone will find it to their liking - if you are a party person - main pool is where all the activity is concentrating - you will be satisfied. If you are looking for more quiet and peaceful - Select Club is for you: the rooms are located further away from the center of the resort, more walking though), pool - more quiet with great restaurant for lunch next to it; Beach Club - not that crowded with the snacks and easy access to air conditioned facility (you can change the towels, use the lockers, computer, WiFi access - very convenient and relaxing). For the luxury seeking: the newly build rooms with ocean view (close to main pool though). Four restaurants and buffets - so many choices - everyone can find something to their liking - I think.
The resort is really big and offers lots of activities - we couldn't simply try all of it. Planet Earth lectures (10-15 min) - wonderful and informative, the canoe - wonderful to swim in - great for snorkeling beginners. We didn't visit the archeological site - the tour was at 2pm every day - but it was too hot for me (I hoped for some cloudy day to do it) - I heard it is great place to visit.
ENTERTAINMENT: Mexican Night show and Mystique Show - both great - the dancers/performers - great, high level, stage trained amateurs - you may not see them on Broadway or in Circus De Soleil (different style of performance), but I am sure as a performers on cultural events, invited by your Art Museums in USA - tickets are selling at $80.00 and up - just enjoy it while in AI for free.

Everyone is different and has different expectations. Here, I just wished to share my thoughts and experience from the six day stay in that lovely hotel.
My biggest thank you for all people working there to make my vacation wonderful - they are all working very hard, with devotion to make the tourists experience worth to come back.
Since my vacation is over: when we are at our offices, cubicles, hospitals, gas stations, attorney offices, restaurants...etc. providing service to others - not everything works perfectly all the time and we are sometimes in a cranky mood, stressed and in need for vacation - those exact people you meet at your vacation destination - the ones who work so you can relax and the ones who are relaxing with you. Just a thought. Personally it took me 3 days of my total 6 to finally just sit in shade on the beach, read book and enjoy without that rush feeling that I should go and do something - workaholic on vacation syndrome I guess....

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,325)
  • Polish first
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

It was a very good hotel. Good service, lots of room, great beach, okay food. The website did lie though. No free internet and no free room service. And the mediterannean restaurant will make you sick. It was a good trip... but I have some nasty bed bug bites... and brought bed bugs back home. Watch for the signs... weirdly placed and frequent bites could be bed bugs. And believe me, they itch WAY more than mosquito bites. And they last WAY longer. So that tainted my trip a little. I'm still itchy.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

This was actually my second trip to this resort. When I was there last year, 4 of my 7 days were a literal monsoon, so I thought I should give them another try....and needless to say, I am so glad I did. I always travel solo, so don't have to answer to anyone but me. I stayed there from April 30th and returned on May 7th. I have to say that this was the very best vacation I had ever taken. The staff was wonderful, and always wanted to make sure that I was having a good time and asked if there was anything that I needed. I would suggest anyone to upgrade to Select Club status. This was the first year that I did that. I stayed in buidling 59, and also received a free upgrade (yes...I asked for one....so don't be afraid to ask). The room was beautiful. I had a jungle view. The balcony was not that large, but large enough for me to sit out and enjoy the view. The room was always well cleaned. I have read alot of people talking about the sales presentation. I actually took it, just to hear what they had to say. I took it last year as well, but the lady I had was older pushy lady and me and pushy folks don't get along. HOWEVER, this year I was paired up with a very kind gal named Barbara who was an absolute sweetheart. I listened to what she had to say just out of respect to her. At the end of the presentation, I was honest with her and told her that I couldn't afford it. Then I asked her a question. If she were in my shoes, could she afford it and would she purchase, and she said no. BUT....I did get a free vacation for next year out of it....so that was a positive. The food there was good. HOWEVER....was dissapointed that the Mexican Restaurant was closed due to not many tourists there. They had a Mexican night with food and vendors out all over the resort, and that was EXCELLENT! I didn't go to the Italian restaurant, because I don't care for Italian food. I went to the Asian restaurant last year.....WOULD NOT RECOMMEND....bad food there as well as bad service. Laguna was great....Brazilian restaurant was good...HOWEVER the mosquitoes there was horrible. They may want to think about screening in the restaurant. The sports bar was AWESOME. I made alot of friends there, and there was a waitress there that waited on us every night was was an ABSOLUTE SWEETHEART....her name is Rosa. The 24 hour snack bar was good. Room service was AWESOME. The check in and check out process was very painless. I got a massage from the spa and that was awesome....I am a cat lover, and there was all kinds of cats and other animals around, so made me feel like I had my cats around. I didn't go to the select club pool, but was on the beach next to the Select Club Beach House....that was great. Free internet access and other perks if you had the golden bracelet on. The beach there is INCREDIBLE. Beautiful view. I actually didn't even leave the resort with the exception of to go parasailing, which was actually a short walk down on the beach from Sandos. I would highly suggest if you have never gone parasailing....to go. The one thing that I think that I liked more that anything, is that the workers there remember you. Some of them remembered me from last year, and that was impressive. I plan on returning next year....great place to stay, and if you have kids, there are plenty of things for them to do. The beds there are not the most comfortable...but I was still able to get rest.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

We traveled to Sandos Caracol from April 29-6th of May. There was 11 of us. I will start with the bad... Front desk is VERY VERY VERY unorganized. They need to do something about their computer system and how they make reservations. It is not the fault of the staff working at the front desk but rather the people behind the scenes. We showed up after a late flight only to find the rooms we had booked and had in writing with us were unavailable. We tried to fight it, but the "royal elite" rooms we had booked were absolutely booked up. So, they sent us for the night to the select club rooms. Let me just say... we stayed that night in a junior suite and it was NOT very nice. Very run down and old. VERY musty smell... which in Mexico I do expect a bit, but this was a VERY overwhelming smell. They had our bags right to our room without issues. We were told to go to the front desk in the morning for the rooms that we did book. As promised in the morning we were issued the proper rooms. Royal Elite. So... as far as the bad... the front desk needs HUGE improvements. Every time we went to deal with them we would stand there for a VERY long time. We were late getting to our transfer back to the airport. So, give yourself EXTRA time when checking in and out. Be prepared to wait.

Now for the good...

Royal Elite rooms are BEAUTIFUL!! We stayed in a one bedroom suite. So, my husband and I had a seperate room with a huge four poster king size bed and a seperate bathroom with two sinks a shower and a seperate toilet area. Two HUGE windows that looked out and no one could see in. Big flat screen tv, fridge and A TON of storage space to put your clothing. Then in the main area there was a queen size pull out bed for the kids with more storage and a big deck. We looked out onto the main pool. Air conditioning in both areas. It was a great room and in my opinion totally worth the upgrade. Very close to the beach also which is SO nice!!! Not such a long walk. The maid service was AWESOME... he was there at the same time every day and did a very impressive job. We left a tip and a lil gift each morning. If you leave it on the pillow they know its for them. Our fridge was restocked every single day also. We did hear a bit of noise with people coming up and down the stairs, but not enough to keep us awake or anything. Oh and the kids also had a seperate bathroom whcih is SO nice. My parents stayed in a penthouse suite and it was also beautiful... they had a big kind sized four poster bed and a nice big jacuzzi beside it and a pull out couch and a HUGE deck with great furniture. One bathroom. All penthouse suites are on the third floor, so they had a great view also.

The food was actually suprisingly really good. I was TOTALLY skip the Mediteranian place, it was not good food at all, and I think I may have gotten some travelers sickness from there. Blah. Wouldnt eat there again. Great service but, not good food. Too bad. The Mexican buffet was SO good... great selection and great service. YUMMY!! They make you fajitas with steak or chicken fresh. MMmm. The Italian Buffet was awesome. I always got them to make me Pasta with pesto and tomato sauce fresh. Really good. The options for kids etc is great here. We also ate at the Brazillian. Mmmmm... so worth it. Such a different experience. They serve you first with plates in the middle of the table with roasted potatoes and onions and corn on the cob. Then there is a salad bar you can go to. Then they come around with different skewers of meat. They started with chicken, then turkey, pork and steak, lamb and then at the end Pineapple with cinnimon. YUMMY!! They also give you four different great sauces to dip your meats in. VERY GOOD!! A must try. I believe this is just for "Select Club" members. Breakfast buffets at the Italian was the best. Better service and just beter food. Laguna buffet was still good, but less service and wayyy more people. Dark in there also. We didnt try room service but, my sister and husband did and said it was good. The drinks were WAY better at the select club house at the beach. They used premium liquor and have people that know how to make some great drinks. YUMMY mojiots here and also lemon drops. Beer is better here also. The bar tenders are FUN and hilarious. Great. They also have finger foods in there for select club memebers. Really good lil sandwiches and fruit etc.

The beach is simply amazing!! Soft white sand and beauuutiful water. The water is MUCH better in normal area and not in select club area. We would pull our chairs right up to the water and stay there for the day. The water is clear, shallow and great for kids. I never wanted to get out. The sand whales are awesome for kids to not only play on but keeps the water calm. My husband, Dad and Son went over the sandwhales and played in some great waves a couple of days. LOTS of chairs. If your going to pull your chairs up there is no shade. My sister and Mom brought umbrellas to stick in the sand. They worked great. I dream of that water... I want to just go back for the ocean alone. :)

Entertainment is fantastic at this resort. ALWAYS something going on. I loved Mexican night... they had vendors all set up along the walkways and different mexican foods you could try. It was like you were in a lil mexican village. Great experience. Shows every night. We caught the tail end of the disney show, and wished we could of seen it all, looked so great for kids. My husband and son saw the Michael Jackson show and loved it. They also played tennis and ping pong and had a great time. There are animals all over the resort. We fed racoons... and there are soo many birds etc.

The staff are truly sweet and wonderful. We tipped often... they work SO hard in that heat and deserve it. They get payed VERY little to work here and serve your every need. Interact with them, joke around with them they love it and its so much fun getting to know them a lil bit.

The spa was wonderful. My sister and I went for reflexology and it was so calm, peaceful and wonderful. It just wasnt long enough!! :)) Very friendly ladies that worked on us. Great time.

All in all as I go through my memories there I have to say I loved the resort. If they would get the front desk up to par and upgrade MOST of the older rooms, it would really be perfect. GREAT place for kids. Water park was a hit with our 5 year old girls. My older kids found it a lil boring after first day. Kids club was OK...they didnt seem to do many activities... mostly played in the big area with the climbing stuff etc. They seemed to take good care of the kids. I definitely would not have left them there every day though. BRING SOCKS for them... as they need them to play on the play stuff.

That's that. If you have ANY questions do not hesitate to ask me. :)

Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

I travel pretty frequently and mainly to the playa del carmen area. This was our second stay at sandos caracol, the first being in November 2010. I really loved the place in november however the employees, food and overall appeal was not very good this time.
We arrived and our room was ready but no keys so we waited 30 minutes for that. We are sandos 4 U member so got a free select club upgrade, loved that since we did select club last time. With 4 small kids I was less than thrilled to walk all the way to building 60 which I think is furthest from everything. I am not lazy so we did not take the golf carts, and by the way was this resort not eco friendly??? I personally do not mind the rock hard bed but my husband does. Mini bar was warm all week in both rooms we had (6022,6023).
Last trip I found the kids club was more hands on and they took the kids to lunch, dinner, mini disco but now they do 2 activites and then lunch. Perk is now you can drop the kids off anytime, there is always someone there and they can stay cool if they want.
One night I had my little guy in the stroller and I fell over a garden hose in the middle of the path. It was dark and I got really hurt. I could not even go in the ocean or anything and could not get sun on my wounds. My neck was killing me, elbow had chunks missing from it. I went to reception and they gave me a bandaid, I was very angry and they never removed the hose from the pathway.
Food was awful, everything becomes a drunken party after 10 pm.
There are some great staff but most spoke under their breath in spanish about the guests which is terrible.
My kids loved the kids club and water park, I loved the water park.
I am not too sure I will return to this resort again or recommend it. The price seems to attract the wrong crowds, it is a shame because they have some great facilities for kids.
If your going to this resort to make your kids happy then you have made a good choice, adults only should go to Secrets or Royal Playa del Carmen because they are a much better fit.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

Firstly, thank you trip advisor for highlighting the fact that we would be subject to time share reps, JUST DONT TURN UP TO YOUR MEETING, they didnt bother us at all after this

The good bits, Food & Drink quality was excellent and far exceeded our expectations, we used the Italian, Mexican & international buffet, which were so good we didnt even try the others , you must try the the liquor coffee from the international buffett

I am reliably informed by my 8 & 4 year old that the kids club was great, the best they have been to, it was a problem getting them out of there !, it enabled us to have dinner in a relaxed manner.

The kids pool was great for children who had limited swimming abilities, our 8 year old got bored there as it was for younger children, the main pool didnt have much for children.

The rooms (junior Suite) were adequate, they did smell a little damp, the balconies were poor, some of the rooms had a very poor outlook, the entertainment was good, the wild animals walking around the complex was a nice touch.

The down side to this very nice hotel was the insect bites, we couldnt quite work out in which area of the complex we had been bitten/stung the most, probably worth avoiding the films in the sports bar, that was a definate hot spot. however our children where not bitten at all which we still cant fathom out.

make no mistake you will be bitten, just be prepared with the repelants and sting relief, dont let this put you off though the hotel staff cannot do enough for you

Overall we had a great two weeks

Room Tip: check out the view first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

Just thought I would share a little info about our trip for those considering Sandos Caracol. Location was great, most staff were very kind and helpful, my son (7yrs) enjoyed the kids club), beach and pool. Food was VERY mixed. Snack bar - horrid, LaLaguna - inconsistent - one day great - another day pretty awful. Time share push was misleading - we opted out of the presentation thanks to warnings. The Gaucho steak house was overrated with very poor service. The Italian was excellent and the Mexican restaurant was closed. We were there at a peak time for travellers from Spain and my son encountered a huge language barrier at the kids club for the first couple of days. Very few interactive activities in the kids club - it was more free play (which he enjoyed, but gravitated to the Wii and Playstation too much). Great location for going to Xcaret and Playa Del Carmen. Really enjoyed Xcaret. Room wasn't ready when we arrived had to wait quite a while - were upgraded to a Select Club room (but not select club status) - definitely wouldn't pay the extra for the room - very mediocre. Always found teh staff to be kind and helpful. The work very long hours and it is amazing what professional shows they put on in the evening. Would we come back - perhaps. I think for the money we paid we got a reasonable deal and we did enjoy ourselves. Would probably look for something else next time - more for the variety of experience than because of any huge concern.

Room Tip: Not sure Select Club Rooms are worth the extra $$
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort? Share your experiences!