“The best of the best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oh Lala!

Oh Lala!
Calle 14 North Bis | Between 10th Avenue and 15th Avenue #147, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico
+52 984 127 4844
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The cuisine at Oh Lala! Is a refreshing change from that of other, more conventional restaurants. Guests are treated like good old friends in a relaxing atmosphere coupled with personalized service and good food. Opened in January, 2011, by co-owners George and Mikaela, Oh Lala! Offers personalized experiences for its guests, ranging from a laidback sampling of hors d'oeuvres and wines, to a leisurely look at the full menu. With a total of 9 tables divided between the indoor and outdoors seating, and an open kitchen, Chef George, Mikaela, and their staff, make sure that every visit to Oh Lala, International Cuisine by George, Is a unique and a delicious one.
Lino Lakes, Minnesota
“The best of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

First let me say that I depend on tripadvisor a lot when making decisions on where I go to eat especially if I am in a foreign country. In most cases, the reviews are accurate, but not always. In this case the reviews I read definitely understated how good Oh Lala really is. Where to start. I jumped onto tripadvisor a couple of weeks ago the check out a few restaurants in Playa Del Carmen, Mx. We typically stay at a time share and have breakfast there, then migrate into town for lunch and later again for dinner. I attempted to make reservations a full 10 days before our trip, but it was a little difficult because Oh Lala is so small (intimate). I worked with Mikaela & George (the owners) and found a spot where we could fit in. They were very accommodating.
On the night of our reservation, we showed up at the appointed time and was promptly greeted and seated by Mikaela. We opted to sit on the patio and enjoy the ambience of Playa. We also had a view of the kitchen which was visible behind a large glass window overlooking the patio. Mikaela brought over menus and described what specials they had that night. We ordered drinks and our meals. I can't really describe how good the food was. Everyone in our group agreed that it was the best meal each of us had in Playa in many years. I had the lobster and grouper, and it was excellent! Mikaela came over to the table at strategic times and asked how everything was and inquired whether we needed anything. She was very attentive without being overly so. George (owner and head cook) also came out during dinner to check on how we were doing.
When the bill arrived, everything was itemized with no surprises as you usually find on a food bill in Playa. It was accurate and listed in dollars and pesos and we felt it was very reasonable again unlike some of the restaurants in 5th avenue Playa.
We paid the bill and Mikaela and George both came over to thank us for dining at their restaurant and encouraged us to stay a while longer and talk with them. We were treated like family. I can't say enough about those two. Without a doubt, this was the best dining experience I've received in many years.

• Visited February 2014

• Polish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Very nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

The best food in PDC. Small restaurant. The location is nice decorated but you have no "view". But the food is amazing. Owner (Dutch) and his wife make you feel at home. Highly recommended!

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto
“A Wonderful Place - in many ways”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We dined here while on vacation. Everyone has already commented on the food which is exceptional. The owners are warm and truly passionate about the dining experience. You have to make reservations and when you arrive you see all the tables are reserved but half are empty. There is reason for this! the owners want to preserve the quality of the dining experience so they only service 10 guests at time. They could easily pack the place and make more money but choose not too..wonderful and rare. Nice wine list too - try the Mexican recommendations George makes. Only recommendation would be to have a broader post dinner cheese selection.
Will make this a must visit next time we're back.

• Visited February 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
“Magnificent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

If one word can sum it up, magnificent is the right one. I saw so many amazing reviews and wanted to try it out. Reserved the table, like 7 days earlier, boy I did good. The setting is perfect, away from 5th Avenue fuss. Just 8 tables, elusively reserved ones. Mikaela, the host and co-owner, is absolutely amazing. She attended every single quest with such a care and devotion, you literally feel like being royalty to say at least. Waiter was super cute and Jorge, the chef, was great as well. Tried Nordic salad - out of this world, excellent start of the evening. Chilean wine, white, great. For main dish, lobster special - loved it, white chocolate cheesecake for dessert - splendid. Loved the place so much, literally begged for another reservation - got it - it was even better!! Tuna Focaccia - stunning, seared tuna - personally, not a huge fan of seared but this was mouthwatering!! Portuguese white wine - delicious, and blueberry cheesecake as well. Everything about this place is amazing, I truly recommend it! Folks around were delighted as well. Reserve it, for sure. I've seen so many couples being denied place since not making a reservation, trust me this is a must-try restaurant in PdC. Mikaela, obrigado por tudo!

• Visited January 2014
Santa Rosa, California
“Great small restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

The service, ambiance and presentation were "World Class." The wine list was limited but well chosen. The food quality was very good but not excellent. It's a very good value. Frankly, I'd be willing to pay more if they upgraded their food quality.
You won't get in unless you have made reservations well in advance, a week or so.

Visited February 2014