“Lovely food, but not Mexican!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Oh lala! has now a new location!!! It is now on Calle 14 bis between 10th & 15th Av. We are a smal restaurant with a total of 9 tables divided between an indoor and an outdoor seating. Our mission is to combine good quality food with a personalized service in a casual yet warm and friendly ambience. We receive 24 guests per evening, distributed in 3 seatings in order to provide you the service and quality we would like you to experience. Because of that, we only accept groups with a maximum of 6 people. Open From Monday to Saturday, from 06.30pm to 11.00pm, we will be more than glad to welcome you at our home, and will do all we can to have you enjoying your time at Oh Lala.Please note, reservations are highly recommended.
Montreal, Canada
“Lovely food, but not Mexican!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife chose this restaurant thanks to Tripadvisor showing it as #1. I was excited to see what the #1 joint in the trendy Playa could be like. We were very slightly disappointed to learn that "international" menu really is anything but Mecxican. In fact, it was very much like the finer restaurants in our home town of Montreal which is infested with every kind of restaurant. Now this was a truly minor setback. Had my wife read the reviews more thoroughly we surely would have recognized that but I doubt if we would have changed our reservation.

Like everyone says, this is a tiny spot, all the tables are on the terrasse and the 4 employees worked hard to please us. It is true that the menu was a bit limited, I chose the filet mignon in red wine sauce and the missus lobster tail with snapper in mango chutney. Appetizers were a tomato mozzerella salad and my wife's choice escapes me. Regardless, they were excellent. In particular the balsamic reduction made it better than any I have had before (and I've had some good ones!). My steak was literally DOUBLE the size of any filet mignon I have ever seen. It was served with green beans and mashed potatoes. The kicker is that it was under $20! I asked for medium-rare and that's what I got but I was surprised how the center had no blood so I asked the waitress, who informed me that they marinate the meat. I do believe this is the first time I have heard of a marinated filet mignon. Regardless, it was quite tasty and texture melted in my mouth. Mashed were tasty, much like we make at home. I can't comment on my wife's dish but she was very impressed, particularly with the mango chutney. Sadly we had to run so no time for dessert or coffee. We met George who was very friendly. By all accounts, this place deserves its reputation as a fine dining option in my opinion. I have eaten at similar restaurants with equally pleasurable meals but never at this low price point! I suppose that expanding for more tables could harm the intimate dining experience which seems to be working well for them. I'd love to explore the menu some more but I doubt if we'll get that chance. We just felt like we could have been in Montreal were it not for the view!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your time and sharing your opinion with other travelers.

We appreciate your comment and are very happy to have been able to offer you and your wife a great experience at our restaurant.

Hopefully one day we will have the pleasure to have you back at Oh Lala.

Kindest Regards,

97% Recommend
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
“Great local restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I made reservations about a week before heading out to Mexico after finding this restaurant on tripadvisor. My boyfriend and I wanted to go to a local restaurant one night during our trip instead of our all-inclusive resort. I was impressed by the promptness of replies to all of my emails to set up the reservation. When we arrived, our table was ready with a reserved sign and we were seated with a smile! The service here was so friendly and attentive! My boyfriend ordered the lobster/red snapper and I ordered the filet. The presentation of the dishes was beautiful and the food was wonderful! We certainly enjoyed our experience and were so happy to try out this quaint little outdoor restaurant. My brother is heading to Playa Del Carmen next month and I am hoping he will check it out as well!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ohlala254, Owner at Oh Lala, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your time and for choosing our restaurant while in Playa del Carmen.

We are very pleased to know that your diner experience met your approval and expectations. It was a pleasure to have you at Oh Lala and will definitely be to receive your family.

We look forward to have you back.

Best wishes,

Barnes, Wisconsin
“Good Food - Don't Go For the Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Really good food - limited menu but the choices we made were excellent. Do not visit this restaurant if ambiance is what you are looking for. My husband watched the hair stylist in the salon next door fashion his patron's hair during most of our meal - that was his view. It's "Urban Playa" - know that and enjoy the food.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your visit and sharing your opinion with other guests.

We appreciate your comments and are glad to know that even not enjoying the ambiance, you enjoyed the food.
We are really sorry to know that your husband was uncomfortable with the salon view. If we knew that before, we would definitely try to have you moved to another table.

It’s a pity that we didn’t understand how uncomfortable you were, however and if you visit Playa del Carmen again, we would like to invite you to our new restaurant, which will be open by August.
Because of the bad weather that we have experienced in Playa del Carmen lately, we have decided to move to a new location, where we will be able to have indoor (with air conditioning) and outdoor seating’s and avoid any inconveniences caused by external factors.
The restaurant will be located on the same block, but on a closed area. We will not change the concept, will add 1 or 2 more tables and will still focus on the combination of quality and service delivered on a quiet, casual yet warm ambiance.
We thank you once again for your comments and look forward to receiving you at our restaurant in a future visit to Playa del Carmen.

Kindly,

M & G.
Houston, Texas
“Absolutely Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Thank you Trip Advisor for ranking Oh La La #1 in Playa....thus tipping us off to its fabulousness! What a delicious meal! I love the concept of the Micro Restaurant and George and his wife were great restauranteurs in addition to creating delicious meals. We dined on mushrooms, Mediterranean salad, lamb, soy butter tuna and the most perfectly simple mashed potatoes. We loved the sangria and George selected perfect wines to accompany our entrees. All this and a generous tip and the bill was less than $100. We would have paid twice that and not blinked an eye! I can't wait to return on our next trip to Playa! Quick tip: there are only 7 tables! Make your reservation 2+ weeks in advance! Our concierge handled ours and told us that it can be very difficult to get into as they only serve 24 people max per night.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting such a great review, as it is much appreciated.

We are all really pleased to know that you enjoyed your meal, the wine and service in such a level that already have us in mind for a future visit to Playa. Thank you very much for that!

We appreciate you for encouraging other viewers to reserve before visiting us, and just like you say, with just 7 tables and a maximum of 24 guests per evening, our restaurant guests easily booked. In order to avoid turning away people, we definitely recommend everyone to contact us before arriving to the restaurant.

We thank you once again for your time and will be more than glad to have you back.

Wish you the best of luck!

Kind Regards,

“Perfect as always”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Its my third time in Playa del Carmen and Oh Lala has defiantly become a must stop. The food and service are simple amazing!

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for visiting us for the 3rd time and still enjoying our restaurant.
We appreciate your words and will continue to do our best in order to provide you the quality of food and service you expect from us.

Best Regards,