First of all, this was our fifth trip to the Reef Playacar over the past 6-7 years, so that says enough about what we think about the resort. For a new visitor, however, it depends what you're looking for in a resort. Reef Playacar has average, slightly outdated rooms (but very clean and comfortable) and they are in the process of remodeling everything at the moment. I've seen some of the new rooms and they look great.
Two main reasons we go to the Reef is its gorgeous beach and 15-minute walk to the main strip of Playa del Carmen, the Fifth Avenue. The staff is friendly and courteous and deserve to be tipped well. I know the all-inclusive packages say "tips included", but if you knew what these people make, you'd change your mind. By tipping a couple bucks here and there, you are greatly helping them and their families. This is not an exaggeration.
Now, for the wedding part. We had a small ceremony on the beach with about 35 of our best friends and family members. Arturo Ugalde, the "groups" manager, exceeded our expectations. When we were emailing him in months prior to our wedding, we didn't know what to expect. The fact that you are emailing a person who may or may not really care about what happens on your wedding is scary, but once we got there and met him, we were at ease. Arturo is very good at what he does and if you're planning a wedding (or any kind of event) at the Reef, he will do a great job. He has a ton of options, so review them carefully and let him do his job.
Like I mentioned before, the staff is very friendly and courteous, but there are some people who stand out even more: bartenders Herlindo, Orlando, Humberto and Gerardo, Nico's bar manager Zouhaila, bell boys Oliver and Willy, Chulavista waiters Paulino, Gladys and Mary, and more that I am probably forgetting.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This boutique style all-inclusive resort is located on a beautiful white sandy beach just steps away from the famous 5th avenue in Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico. The hotel offers all food, domestic drinks and a variety of international drinks included, 1 buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants, Italian & Gourmet($), snack bar, ice cream parlor, various bars including a swim up bar, 2 pools, kids club, daily activities & nightly entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Reef Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reef Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- The Reef Playacar
- Reef Club Playacar
- Reef Playacar Mexico
- Reef Playacar Playa Del Carmen
- Reef Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico