“This resort won't even respond to a room booking!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Reef Playacar

Save Saved
You added Reef Playacar to your Saves list
Reef Playacar
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo Xaman-Ha, Ret. Sayil s/n | Fracc. Playacar, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Free WIFI
Ranked #99 of 199 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Atlanta, Georgia
“This resort won't even respond to a room booking!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I purchased a deal via Living social for 5 nights and have been trying for 2 weeks to book a room with zero success. Their US number does not work,and I've had to call international several times to a constantly busy dial tone. After emailing every possible email on their website, I finally got their director to respond. She forwarded me the name, email, and phone number of the person in charge of reservation, and once I FINALLY got her on the phone, she casually brushed me off telling me she didn't see my emails and would send confirmation of my room by next day. Naturally, she didn't. I'm sure this place is beautiful and all sorts of wonderful, but it looks like I will never find out! Perhaps it doesn't even really exist? I hope the rest of you hopeful vacationers magically stumble on someone who will take your reservation, I will be getting a refund for sure.

2,164 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Arrived on June 1st late in the evening in a horrible rain storm. When we arrived at the resort they gave us towels to put over our heads to take us to our room in the pouring rain.The resort is not on flat grounds so it is not like a golf cart can pick you up that can drive you to your room you have to walk no big deal. 1st room they brought us to the ceiling was leaking not the resorts fault it was due to the horrible rain that they were getting. So off we were again to another room in the rain, this room was actually in building 11 we were a couple and the bed was a full size we laughed and we were told the room was temporary for the night until they find us another room with a king size in the morning. The room with the full size bed was actually a living room to a suite that belongs to members who have time shares the room was completely updated modern, jacuzzi on the balcony our room faced the pool and the ocean although would of been nice had they had thrown a queen size or king in there BTW the full size bed was like sleeping on the hard floor the worst bed I have ever slept on. So the next day they took us to our king size room and we hated it compared to what we had and the view we had. So we spoke to Hector at the front desk, we drove him crazy but he was great and we requested the room with the full size bed back and he gave it to us so we just dealt with the small bed situation.
The resort is really nice, walking through the jungle is so different from an open air flat ground resort. The pool was small but always clean and lots of fun great swim up bar and plenty of beds and lounge chairs. They have an ice cream parlor loved my afternoon ice cream.
The beach is beautiful plenty of chairs soft sand and beautiful clear blue water loved the beach.
Buffet was nice food was okay not a big dessert selection for dinner. Something for everyone you will not go hungry. Breakfast was good but bacon only at the omelet station you had to ask for it and it seems like they always ran out of it. they had had a snack bar open till 2am by the pool came in handy for the late night munchies.
The staff were very friendly and hard working we always tipped them a couple of dollars for their hard work and they were very appreciative.
The shows were not great no big deal if you miss them. I Have been to other resorts where the shows were incredible not the case at this one.
We took a $7 car ride to 5th ave which is like a 5 minute drive where we did our shopping had a good time there cute town.
So besides the rain we encountered everyday we had a really good time and enjoyed the resort although we were spoiled with the room we ended up with if I had to stay in a regular room do not think we would of enjoyed the room at all since we had something else much better to compare it to. We were in room 1123 best location incredible view.

Room Tip: Room 1123 faced the ocean and the pool.
Huntington Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I read reviews for over a month so I thought I had a pretty good idea of what to expect when I arrived. However at first sight the resort left me wondering if I made a bad choice. Not because it was dirty or run down because the staff there really does an amazing job keeping it clean. We have stayed at larger even the mega resort before so the wow factor was definitely missing. We upgraded on arrival and got a room on the second floor and full drink menu and access to Nico’s bar on the beach!! Nico’s is the best spot here at the resort with a lounge/club feel right on the beach with Jacuzzi and full bar steps away. After just a day we both starting warming up to the place and by the end of the week loved the small size and simplicity of the resort. There were not long lines at the buffets for breakfast and no large crowds to fight through to get a drink at any off the bars.
The beach is amazing with powdery white sand and turquoise water it was hard to take your eyes off it. There are also sand bars which allow you to be in knee high water 20 feet off shore. How long those are there and how often they change I have now idea. We also never had any trouble finding chairs under an umbrella or even the occasional cabana open around 7:30 in the morning. The really good ones were gone but with the views being good from almost any of them it wasn’t even a concern of ours all week long.
Noise! As many of the reviews state it is a problem. From hearing your neighbors door slam shut at 3 am to hearing what’s going on in the room next to you only if they are loud. All the rooms doors are right next to each other in a small open stairwell for that building. These door are not thick unfortunately but they are heavy. You will hear everything that goes on outside your door and when anybody lets the door slam shut!! We had to get ear plugs which another reviewer recommended but I forgot to get before I got here. The ear plugs worked for me but my girlfriend could not sleep with them on so she was woken up on occasion depending on how late our neighbors partied. Now to be fair we spoke with other couples who had noise issues only in the morning when families were leaving. We had a room on the second floor which was not renovated yet. It was small but nice enough because I’m not here for the room!! So Bring ear plugs if you are not a heavy sleeper.
We ate breakfast only at the buffet and the food was ok nothing great, but the service from Mary was excellent! She remembered our drink order after only our first visit. They do occasionally have bacon but you have to ask the lady who makes the omelets if she has any. She hides it behind the counter so be sure to ask nicely ha! You could also sit on a patio overlooking the pool and beach!! Now the two restaurants at the Reef were much better then the buffet and we only ate dinner there, unless we were in town. Each one in our opinion was equally great. Again another bonus for the Reefs small size was you don’t have to make reservations and could just walk in and get a table with a great view. It was great not to have to worry about making reservations and knowing we could get a great table no problem. We sat out on the balconies of each restaurant and had good food with even better views of the water every time. The snack bar is a great place to eat while parting at the pool bar or coming back from a night on the town. It really hit’s the spot with either pizza, quesadillas, wings, fries or burgers which we didn’t try but everything else was great! The drinks were good with plenty and plenty of choices, the even had Jagermiester! Pool bar was fun with Humberto making drinks non stop. The drinks didn’t taste watered down and after a few you could tell the were not!! Nico’s Again is the best kept secret here, never a crowd, great lounge style set up on the beach and Armando who made great drinks and had a bubbly personality.
The location to town is great we walked there several times and it only took less then 15 min on the beach. We walked back along the beach at dusk too which was great and felt safe the whole time. A Taxi ride to town if needed is about 6 dollars. If you want to somewhere further use the collectivo, it’s small vans that carpool people to different locations in and more importantly out of town and was informed that was the best way to travel if not going on a tour. You can pick one up in town ask the front desk for the station location. We took some tours and overall had a great vacation at the Reef. If it was quieter and we got better sleep we would of gave this a 4 star really easy. I picked the Reef for the beach and location most importantly! Also because the reviews on service were so good. I can agree the service is great and want management to know they make the small resort feel like home. Special thanks to Humberto and Avimael and Azul 48(pool bar), Armando at Nicos, Felix at Chiquita, Mary at Chula Vista, The Guys at Terraza Daniel, Rubicel, Julio, Fer, Valerio! Thank you hasta pronto!!!

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms help limit noise
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Frederick, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

First, I can't believe this hotel is not higher in the rankings.

My parents and 6 month old baby and I went for 5 days Memorial Day week and can't say enough kind words about this place. We come to the Riviera Maya for the water and we pick a hotel and come back over and over because of the staff. I can definitely say we will come back to this hotel many more times. The grounds are just beautiful, in a nice jungle-like setting (bring your bug spray, I was bitten by mosquitoes a lot). This resort is small, small enough for my elderly father to get around with no assistance. I like a small hotel, everyone (the staff) remembers you, remembers your name, what you drink, what you like, etc. Even the nightly shows were excellent! For a small hotel, I was not expecting nightly shows. Wow, I was impressed.

The beach was amazing, it was very wide and there were many lounge chairs laid out there. Although there was a red flag flying for most of the days we were there, we still soaked up some rays on the beach and put our feet in the water.

There were many international guests and that was very nice to have a mix of nationalities.

The bars were great, although we only checked out Nico's once because nobody was there (there was a storm approaching). Our favorite bar was Papo's above the lobby and favorite bartender was Eric, who was very personable and funny!

The check in was fine, I didn't expect our room to be ready earlier than check-in time and it wasn't. One minor thing was that my key stopped working twice during the week. No problem. The bell boy Willy was excellent, he was one of our favorite staff, such a nice and pleasant guy with a smile on his face always.

Rooms were smallish but sufficient with a mini-bar. Depending on what color your wristband is (how much you paid for your room - whether it be with premium drinks, etc.) the minifridge was supposed to be stocked every day for us but by day 3 I had to ask them to restock it because it wasn't done. No big deal.

The meals in Chulavista buffet restaurant were pretty good, nothing wonderful, but we definitely found something we liked each time we ate there. Breakfast was my favorite meal because I loved the omelets they make. Paulino was our server all the time and we thought he did an excellent job.

The snack bar had some really good food too.

I didn't eat at the specialty restaurants so I can't comment on them.

There were professional photographers onsite and they had parrots you could get your picture taken with and also do regular professional photos, which we took advantage of for my daughter's 1st photos. They snapped her in the grass and on the beach and they really turned out beautifully.

Additional staff other than Willy, Eric and Paulino who made our stay so wonderful are: Claudia and Nayeli from the Animation team, Adonis, Roxana and the security guards. Thank you so much to all of you, we will see you again soon.

Room Tip: The closer to the beach you are, the further from the lobby you are, but you will get a nice ocean b...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
ReefPlayacarResort, Director of Sales at Reef Playacar, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at our Resort. We are very happy to know that you had a good vacation at our resort!

We appreciate your comments regarding the hotel, the amazing beach, the bars, the snack, the shows and the excellent service.

We will share your special thanks with Willy, Eric, Paulino, Claudia, Nayeli and Roxana.

We would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel for the inconveniences you experienced with your minifridge and we discuss this matter with the involved departments.

We offer special rates to our returning guests, so if you plan to come back, let us know directly! We are looking forward to welcoming you once more
ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here the first week of May. We had a wonderful experience and would not mind going back again.I had a lot of questions prior to going that I couldn't find answers to. I am going to include a very in depth review. Be prepared :)

Travel: We used USA transfers to get to/from the hotel from Cancun airport. All the staff from the greeters to the drivers were pleasant and friendly. We were in a vehicle getting ready to go to the hotel within 5 minutes of arriving. The drive there was 45 minutes. They were prompt about picking us up for the flight home as well.

Check in: We arrived at the Reef at 11:00AM, hours before the 3:00PM check in time. We knew we would have to wait for a room. We went to the front desk and were immediately asked if we wanted drinks by one porters. Drinks in hand we waited for service at the front desk. The man there was unfriendly bordering on rude. He was also unorganized and it took him forever to even locate our reservation. He then told us check in was at 3:00 and walked away. Well then! lol Hey it's vacation! Who cares! While waiting to check in you can change into what you have in your luggage in the bathroom lobby. The porters will lock your bags in a storage room and give you a pickup tag for when you come back. You can go lay out on the beach though you won't be able to get towels till your room assignment. With the hot weather you never really need your towel anyways. We chose to walk around and check the place out. We had lunch and a few drinks. We then sat in the lobby bar and waited for our room. The porter was fantastic and kept checking to see if our room was ready for us. At about 2PM we received our room keys! woohoo! Don't lose those or the towel cards you get or there is a hefty charge, I believe they said $45US. The porter took our bags on a dolly and showed us to our room. Vacation can begin!

The room: Our room was as we had requested. We were on the 2nd floor with a king sized bed overlooking the gardens. All the rooms are being updated and ours had already been done. It was very nice. I have seen many people mention the musty smell. That was present when you first walked into the room. It was noticeable but not an overly strong smell. Within a minute you were used to it. It is so humid in Mexico I would think it would be hard not to have that smell. The bathroom was clean with a small array of toiletries including soap, shampoo, a hairnet, and lotion. The soap is terrible so I would recommend you bring your own. The water pressure in the bathroom was great and there was always plenty of hot water. I did not use their hair products or lotion so I cannot comment on those. My husband used the shampoo and said it worked okay. There is a small hairdryer. In the bathroom, there is always a supply of bottled water to use for brushing your teeth and such since you are not to drink the water in good old Mexico. There is a double closet which was adequate for storage. It contains and iron, ironing board, mini fridge, and the room safe. The room safe does not require a key. It says there is a $2 a day charge to use it, but you lock it using a 4 digit code you choose. They would never know if you used it or not. The mini fridge was stocked with a few sodas and that was it. We had bought the premium upgrade and were to have the fridge restocked each day with soda and beer. This was not being done. We left a note for the maid and she took care of it right away. Once she found out we had the room upgrade the extras in our room were as follows: 2 bathrobes, coffee for the coffee machine, extra toiletries, daily restocking of the fridge, and larger bottles of water. After reading the reviews of the hard beds I was pleasantly surprised. I was very comfortable! It was comparable to my pillow top mattress at home. Tons of comfy pillows too. The balcony was nice with a nice view. Though since the walkways are below there isn't much in the way of privacy. Also kudos to the maid for being able to get the sand off the floor everyday. The hotel offers wake up call service, though in your room is an alarm clock with an IPOD dock. If you have an IPOD or IPHONE you can set it to wake you up to your favorite tune. The room has a flat screen TV with access to some movie channels and such, though we didn't use this much. You don't hear people through the walls, but people talking can be heard through the balcony door. If you wake up early that shouldn't be an issue, but I like to sleep in which didn't happen here.

The grounds: They are gorgeous! The resort is small and you can walk it front to back in about 8 minutes or so. The walkways throughout the hotel give you the feel of walking through a tropical jungle. There are huge trees and plants throughout. You will see many Agoutis which seem to be their version of squirrels, though are a bit larger. We did see a couple raccoon looking animals at night as well. There is a beautiful sitting area with a waterfall in the middle of the grounds. Midday they serve fresh coffee and sandwiches which was nice. The seating there was comfy and it was never really busy. We liked to sit here and relax while listening to the birds and waterfall. The ice cream bar area also features a waterfall area that is gorgeous but the seating isn't that great there. The walkways are always kept clean by the staff. FYI: When we were there they were in the process of painting the outsides of the buildings white. SAD!

The pools and pool area: Upon getting to the pool area you will see the activities hut. You turn your towel cards in and they give you your towels. At the end of your pool day you turn them in for fresh towels or to get your cards back. This is where the activities board is hanging so you can see what is going on for the day. There are two pools. The first pool features a large swim up bar, which is accessible on foot as well. The pool was clean and the service was great. We only went here once as this was where the more rowdy crowd hung out. Also the thought that everyone was drinking and never getting out to use the bathroom.....well I will leave it at that. There was a second pool that was mostly used by the kids. It had 2 basketball hoops. This second pool is also where they had the free scuba diving lessons and exercises program. There are lounging beds around the pool, but good luck getting a seat in one. You can usually find a beach chair around the pool.

The beach: WOW WOW WOW! I have stayed in PDC before. Many of the beaches have rocky entrances and such. Not here. The sand was soft and oddly enough never got too hot to walk on. The water was beautifully turquoise and the perfect temperature. The only downfall is you are about waist deep till you swim out about 250'. There were always tons of beach chairs to choose from, though none of the lounger beds. Those are always reserved with no one sitting on them. There are quite a few beach chairs with umbrellas over them. You can usually snag one within 10-15 minutes of sitting down. There is no beach drink service though the bar is pretty darn close. Also if you pay the extra to get the premium room upgrade, you can walk to Nico's bar from the beach. The other bar is up a walkway from the beach. There are many people asking if you want to go parasailing, jetskiing, etc. If you do price haggle for sure! The resort offers your non motorized sports for free. There are a few merchants walking around selling Cubans and such but they don't really bother you.

The snack bar: They offered food throughout the day. This was more of your American faire including wings, burgers, hot dogs, fries, nachos, and pizza during the day. Beginning at 6 they also offered tacos and quesadillas. We had a few of the items and they were good. We only ate here twice as we liked the other food choices better. They also offer self serve vanilla and chocolate soft serve ice cream throughout the day.

Chulavista Buffet: This is the restaurant we frequented most often. The staff took care of your drink orders. Though you serve yourself buffet style. They offered all 3 meals and are open throughout most of the day till 10:30. There were 3 stations, 1 was your American food, Mexican, and then chef's choice. No matter what time of day we went the food was always hot. The food was a little bland at times but that's what happens when you are cooking to different tastes. There were a variety of options though I wish there was more Mexican faire to choose from. Fruit choices and such were available at all meals.

Boticellis: This was the Italian restaurant located above Chulavista. We ate there once...almost twice. You can eat outside on the terrace or in the dining room located inside. The menu had a variety of Italian food options to choose from. The food was comparable to Olive Garden I would say. It's downfall was the service here. It was terrible! I mentioned we ate there almost twice. Well that is because the second time we sat down the service was never there. Upon sitting down our drink order was taken, and the waiter stated I will be right back. 20 minutes later no service. We were frustrated so we just left and went to the Chulavista.

La Terrazza Grill: There is a $5 upcharge to eat here unless you buy the premium room upgrade. We went here once during our stay. You might not see it as you have to walk past Boticelli's and around a corner. The service here was excellent. We only ate here once as we were not big fan's of the menu choices or taste of the food. Though everyone's taste is different so I would say check it out! The restaurant was beautiful.

The Heladeria (ice cream parlor): GO HERE!!!! It is only available 2 hours during the day, 4-6. It is amazing. They have about 10 flavors ranging from coconut and blackberry cheesecake to chocolate almond. The area has a few tables to sit at though there were only 2 stools available to sit near the waterfall.

The Bars: I cannot go into too much detail with these as we mostly hung out at Nico's Bar. There is a huge bar with tons of seating in the upstairs lounge area by the theatre. It is gorgeous and relaxing. We went to the beach bar and front desk bar a few times with great service at each. The drinks were good though the frozen daiquiris and margaritas had a strange taste to them. I recommend the Mango Tango drink, A delicious frozen concoction. As far as beer it is Dos Equis on draft only at the regular bars. We had the premium room upgrade and having access to Nico' made it worth it. They had comfy couches and lounge beds on the sandy grounds. It also has the only whirpool on the ground...though I warn the water is not warmer than pool water. The bar offer your more premium liquors here. Along with the Dos Equis on draft they have it in cans and offer Tecate. Also if you frequent here they will acquire what you want. I am a fan of jagermeister and my husband loves SOL beer. We mentioned it once and the next day they had both. They also will also come to you and see what you want to drink...this does not happen anywhere else. While you are relaxing each day they have different snacks they bring to you including nuts, fruit, cookies, etc. There are never more than a few people there so your service is always fast. They also spoke the best English and helped us a little with our Spanish.

The shows: We went to one of the shows and it was pretty good. Akin to a cruise ship show almost. The dancers were good. They also at times bring in local talent who perform by the pool. Check these out if you can as they are pretty amazing.

Time Share People: We did not get caught up in any of this. They hang out in the front desk lounge area. Stay away or just say no. We saw a few people being led around by them. If you don't want it say so, or you will lose at least 3 hours of your vacation. FYI the maid will leave a card in your room saying to meet at the front desk for your free tour. This is the time share scam so don't go!

Painting: Between the pool and beach area there is a hut that features various ceramic items. These are the same type of items you can purchase in PDC or playacar. Though here they are unpainted. You are able to choose your colors and paint these in paint by number fashion. The items are comparable prices to those in the city.

Playacar shopping mall: You cannot access playacar shopping from the beach. You must leave the hotel and turn to the left. It is a 5 minute walk down the road. It has a few shops that feature most of the same items as you can find in PDC. It was more expensive than PDC though, but I saw a few items here I hadn't seen in PDC.

Playa Del Carmen (PDC): This can be accessed by walking down the beach or walking down the sidewalk in the opposite direction on Playacar. It took us about 20 minutes at a leisurely pace. I will say if you go the beach route you will see some topless women. If you are worried about your kids or such go down the sidewalk. Playa Del Carmen is beautiful and features tons of shopping and restaurants. DO NOT buy everything in the first shop you go into. The price ranges vary from store to store for the same items. For example I bought a wind chime for my mom. I paid $2 for it at the store, whereas it was $12 across the street. I am not a haggler so I bought from the stores that had the prices listed. Though if you like to haggle you can get great deals. You will get many vendors trying to get you into their store. If you want to go in, go for it. Otherwise just say no thank you and move on. You will not offend them, but don't get mad either. This is how they live. They sell the same items as everyone else and are trying to get you to buy their stuff to feed their families. People will tell you not to go to town because it's dangerous. This is a tourist area. I never at any time felt unsafe. Though at times you will see their police who do carry large firearms, do not be alarmed, they all do here. You can also catch the ferry and check out Cozumel here. Don't buy the ticket from the ferry people. You can get good deals from the excursion guys. We were able to go to Cozumel by ferry and snorkel for 2 hours at the price of $40 for both of us. I think the ferry price alone is $12 a person.

Tips and Advice: TIP those who serve you. I know you paid all inclusive, though the staff will appreciate it. Also we tended to get better service. Go to PDC. Bring a high powered sun screen. You will still tan with it on. The sun is more powerful here and you will burn.

Room Tip: Choose second floor for more privacy. Ask for a garden view room as otherwise you might be staring...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Great hotel for the price and location. You can walk to downtown in 20 minutes, or better yet take advantage of the free bike rentals.

An upgraded wristband is highly recommended, it gives you access to premium bottles and the beach bar.

Food was mediocre and didn’t change much from day to day, but if you’re creative there’s plenty to work with. The snack bar is good for a quick fix.

$15 a day for Wi-Fi is a bit of a let down.

Anyone complaining about it being a timeshare push need to question how they got themselves in that position to begin with.

The upper pool is loud and great for those who wish to be drunk by 11am. Those less inclined, I’d suggest getting up early to reserve a day bed to kick back on.

For the price, there’s nothing to complain about.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We would like to thank you for your review. We are happy you enjoyed your vacation with us. We appreciate your comments regarding the good location, and the recommendation to buy the upgrade to the premium bracelet.
We look forward to welcoming you back once again!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

The whole vacation was made by the amazing staff. Mary Rodriguez at chiulavista breakfast buffet was unbelievable she had our drinks on the table before we could even order them and say good morning to her. She has the best customer service I have seen in a while I would stay at the reef because of her and the other staff members. Armando at Nicos very attentive. Humberto at the pool bar was on top of everyone's drinks even to the people that where rude to him. Avimael is a sweetheart and will make your stay memorable. All the staff do. I just want to state that people going on vacation there need to respect the staff and treat them with respect they all work very hard and are always pleasant. The rooms are noisy only because people are inconsiderate but the staff made up for it all. Did I mention I loved the staff. Thanks again Mary, Humberto, Armando and of course Avimael. you all made our trip amazing.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Reef Playacar? Share your experiences!