Arrived on June 1st late in the evening in a horrible rain storm. When we arrived at the resort they gave us towels to put over our heads to take us to our room in the pouring rain.The resort is not on flat grounds so it is not like a golf cart can pick you up that can drive you to your room you have to walk no big deal. 1st room they brought us to the ceiling was leaking not the resorts fault it was due to the horrible rain that they were getting. So off we were again to another room in the rain, this room was actually in building 11 we were a couple and the bed was a full size we laughed and we were told the room was temporary for the night until they find us another room with a king size in the morning. The room with the full size bed was actually a living room to a suite that belongs to members who have time shares the room was completely updated modern, jacuzzi on the balcony our room faced the pool and the ocean although would of been nice had they had thrown a queen size or king in there BTW the full size bed was like sleeping on the hard floor the worst bed I have ever slept on. So the next day they took us to our king size room and we hated it compared to what we had and the view we had. So we spoke to Hector at the front desk, we drove him crazy but he was great and we requested the room with the full size bed back and he gave it to us so we just dealt with the small bed situation.
The resort is really nice, walking through the jungle is so different from an open air flat ground resort. The pool was small but always clean and lots of fun great swim up bar and plenty of beds and lounge chairs. They have an ice cream parlor loved my afternoon ice cream.
The beach is beautiful plenty of chairs soft sand and beautiful clear blue water loved the beach.
Buffet was nice food was okay not a big dessert selection for dinner. Something for everyone you will not go hungry. Breakfast was good but bacon only at the omelet station you had to ask for it and it seems like they always ran out of it. they had had a snack bar open till 2am by the pool came in handy for the late night munchies.
The staff were very friendly and hard working we always tipped them a couple of dollars for their hard work and they were very appreciative.
The shows were not great no big deal if you miss them. I Have been to other resorts where the shows were incredible not the case at this one.
We took a $7 car ride to 5th ave which is like a 5 minute drive where we did our shopping had a good time there cute town.
So besides the rain we encountered everyday we had a really good time and enjoyed the resort although we were spoiled with the room we ended up with if I had to stay in a regular room do not think we would of enjoyed the room at all since we had something else much better to compare it to. We were in room 1123 best location incredible view.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This boutique style all-inclusive resort is located on a beautiful white sandy beach just steps away from the famous 5th avenue in Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico. The hotel offers all food and domestic drinks, 1 buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants, Italian & Gourmet($), snack bar, ice cream parlor, various bars including a swim up bar, 2 pools, kids club, daily activities & nightly entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your The Reef Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reef Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Reef Club Playacar
- Reef Playacar Mexico
- Reef Playacar Playa Del Carmen
- The Reef Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico