“Cannot say enought good about this resort!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Reef Playacar

Expedia.com Booking.com
Reef Playacar
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo Xaman-Ha, Ret. Sayil s/n | Fracc. Playacar, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Free WIFI
Ranked #97 of 198 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Fredericton
“Cannot say enought good about this resort!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Four of us stayed a week at The Reef Playacar from Feb 28 to March 7th and completely enjoyed our stay. There was something for everyone of us to do (ages 10 to 83) from water polo to bingo. Really like how the resort was layed out. One could sit at the pool and see the ocean hence enjoying both worlds where as most resorts your either at the pool or at the beach. The grounds were kept extremely clean from plants being trimmed to the glass around the hot tub and pool being washed over and over. Unlike other guest we found the food at the buffet was fantastic..always hot with many choices. Liked that (at some meals) we were greeted with cocktails before entering the buffet. The a la cart Steak dinner was to die for (went back twice just for this meal) The house wine there is free but if you want a wine of the wine list then you have to pay. When we booked our trip we upgraded to the premium pkg and so very happy we did. We enjoyed the extra's such as relaxing at Nicko's (either on the lounger beds or in the hot tub) and having snacks delivered to us while there. Now for the staff.....what hard working, polite and friendly bunch. Every last one of them treated us like gold and made our stay memorable. We have one more trip booked this travel season to Cuba but next travel season we will certainly be going back to The Reef Playacar.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
ReefPlayacarResort, Director of Sales at Reef Playacar, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at our Resort. We are very happy to know that you had a great vacation at our resort!

We appreciate your comments regarding the beach, the cleanliness, the upgrade to the superior premium room, the food and the great staff.

2,070 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Polish first
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We arrived early and they very nicely stowed our bags and gave us our wristbands. Then as we had a couple hours to kill they handed us off to a concierge for an orientation that quickly turned into sales pitches for different stores. All of which came with discount coupons upon which our host printed his name and hotel (to get his kickbacks I presume) This then slid into a time share. oh wait not a time share, a "private residence" pitch. One we were able to get clear of that we walked through the very lovely grounds down to the beach and had a drink while we waited. A cold beer and some Don Julio Anejo. When the time was right we went back and finished the check in and were told that they had given us the wrong bracelets and that if we used them at the a la carte restaurants we would be charged additional fees. Well I had paid for a premium room that gave us access to all a la carte meals with no fees so we allowed them to change our bracelet to the proper one. We went to our room and stowed the gear, changed into some swim gear and went back to the bar where we were now told that we could not have the good tequila because our bracelets were now the wrong color. Back to the front desk we went where a different fellow explained that our package did not include the top shelf drinks. The price upgrade was minor and meant the difference between cuervo and don Julio so I clarified that the upgrade would cover all the drinks and get us into all areas and then I purchased it. He dug out the exact same bracelets that we had first been given and when I protested that we didn't want to pay any extra fees for the a la carte he said that we would not. I explained what had happened previously and he said the other gentleman had given us the wrong bracelets and then rather than admit his mistake and explain them had lied about them to get us to give them up voluntarily ( I guess we could have refused and kept them at the get go and saved a $200).
So with the new/old bracelets back on we went back to the bar and watched the bar tender pouring the top shelf Julio for 3 guys wearing the exact same arm bands as we had been wearing and had just paid to upgrade from. Same bar tender that wouldn't pour for us was pouring full shot glasses of the Anejo for these other guys. He seemed to know them or maybe he was just working for tips but needless to say it left a bad bad taste in my mouth.
Oh and despite the front desk assuring us that everything was covered with the new armbands. The a la cartes wine lists cost extra (15 - 25 us for a so so bottle of red) and the chef recommendations at the bottom of the menu cost $20 dollars per plate, not covered under the bracelet or any bracelet as far as I could see. Lobster was one of the things not covered so on our last night in Playa del Carmen rather than fork out money to eat a special meal at a "not so all inclusive" we went down town and had a wonderful dinner at the Blue Lobster Restaurant.

The snack bar by the pool had really bad food, hot dogs and tostado chips with fake melted cheese puked over them (think 7-11)

The buffet was nice and food was varied and the a la cartes' meals were very good and the service was excellent.

The buildings and the grounds were beautiful and the beach was simply heaven

If it hadn't been for that first day and the garbage reception and sales pitch I would have given them a much higher score. instead I went away feeling cheated and stolen from

I won't be back and will certainly make everyone aware of my unpleasant experience there.

Room Tip: We stayed in the deluxe king and it was very nice. Rooms were dim and some bulbs that were burnt out...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ithaca, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Returned yesterday after a week in The Reef Playacar. This is the third resort we have stayed at in Playacar. It was alright, a bed, shower and a beach. We thought that there were some high points, a lot of averages, and a few lows.

The lows included lack of late food. We went to Xcaret and returned to the resort at 9:30pm. The resturants were closed. They had a special Mexican themed dinner in another area of the resort, but we had to ask at the desk to find it (after 5 days at the hotel already). We had minimal choices at that point and the service staff seemed more annoyed than helpful. The bars were hit and miss, with no two bartenders making drinks the same way. Often we were told that the bar had run out of a liquor or a mixer, with no plan to restock that day. The room was older, some mildew in the shower area,and a definite musty smell (which was worse than we are used to in other resorts).

The average included the buffet resturant. The food was adequate, but not always hot. There were a fair number of choices so one could always find something to eat. The grounds were nice, but not spectacular. The other two resorts in which we have stayed were much more focused on keeping the area extremely neat and clean.

The highs: Beach- large and beautiful with plenty of chairs. The Reef Marina- Staff terrific (see seperate review). All staff- specifically Roslie and Paulino in the Chulavista Resturant and Orlando at the beach bar. The beds were the most comfortable we had slept in in the area.

In general we would not likley stay again, unless there was not another option. We would move further south in Playacar. The week went well, but its not where you stay but the attitude and company you keep while on the trip.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I have to admit that I was a bit nervous heading into this trip based on previous comments on TripAdvisor. I am glad to report that I was pleasantly surprised that we did not experience any of the issues expressed by other travelers. The staff could not be more engaging and friendly, from the bellman that greeted us with a beverage of our choice upon check-in, to Hector at the front desk who did everything in his power to accommodate us at check-in and throughout our stay, the cleaning staff, our favorite wait staff - Gladis and Guillermo and everyone from the grounds crews, bartenders and activity staff.

We had an issue with a smell of cigar smoke in our room when we checked in and there wasn't a comparable room available to move us to so we decided to stick it out and air out the room, Hector offered to have the linens and curtains changed if necessary to air out the room and sent up a cleaning staff member with air freshener (and fresh linens) which they allowed us to keep and continue to spray as needed. It definitely got better after we kept the doors and windows opened off and on throughout the week. This was definitely no fault of the staff or the resort and I really think they went out of their way to make us happy.

The food at the buffet was excellent for breakfast and lunch. Not as good for dinner (though there were many options), but Botticelli and Terraza were nice options and we had excellent service and food (went to Botticelli twice and Terraza once). We ended up eating out twice - with the close proximity to 5th Avenue we couldn't pass up an early evening walk into town.

We were with our 2 teenage daughters and at no time did I feel uncomfortable leaving them in their room alone if they wanted to sleep late or allowing them to walk up to their room or sit on the beach without us.

If I had to find something negative to say, my husband would want me to point out that since The Reef Marina is technically a separate entity and their credit card machine was broken all week, it was a bit of a nuisance to keep going to the ATM to withdraw Pesos if we wanted to use the wave runners, para sailing, and/or snorkeling trips (which are all highly recommended). Not sure why it couldn't be charged through the hotel or simply get the machine fixed??

Overall it was a trip to remember - I hope we find the time to go back some day.

Thank you to everyone at The Reef Playacar for making our first trip to Mexico a memorable one.

Room Tip: We had two rooms in block 800 on the third floor - one facing the walkway between the lobby and pool...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ReefPlayacarResort, Director of Sales at Reef Playacar, responded to this review, March 7, 2013

We appreciate your comments regarding The buffet and a la carte restaurant, the good location and the great staff. We will share your special thanks with Guillermo, Gladis and Hector.

We would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel for the inconveniences you experienced with our Reef Marina and we discuss this matter with the involved departments.

Custer, South Dakota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I just returned from the Reef after a week stay. I was referred by a friend who had previously stayed at the resort. She was correct that this is a great place to stay in Mexico. Plus, after reading so many negative reviews I was a bit scared of what to expect but I respected her opinion and was blown away with the place. First, it's a wonderful small resort that isn't overwhelming to the point that you can navigate the whole place with no problems. We stayed in a room with 2 beds on the third floor of building 7 with a lovely view of the garden area. We enjoyed seeing the little critters running around and the views of the foliage. The location was close to the pools, beach and buffet area. The beds were comfortable as well as the pillows. Clean and spacious enough for the two of us.
The pools, the dining area and beach was fabulous. I didn't have a bad meal or a bad drink for that matter. I am not sure why I have read that there is not enough variety. I always found some good eats, and I loved the variety and the foods that I would like to eat everyday, such as fruits and a salad.
The location of the resort was great. Close to shopping on 5th avenue by foot or bike.
The staff were the greatest! I have to mention Irma, our housekeeper, always asked if we needed anything since we really don't need daily housekeeping. Great gal. Humberto, Gerard, Jose, Willy and so many other folks that really made our stay so wonderful. I forgot Ana and Nadyli too. Fun crowd. I would highly recommend the Reef if you want the experience of a large resort on a small scale. I am ready to go back next year. I can't say enough good things about this wonderful little place of paradise! Thanks to all for a wonderful 1st time visit to Mexico!!

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor and further away from the pool. The yellow colored building. We stayed in buildin...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ReefPlayacarResort, Director of Sales at Reef Playacar, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
We would like to thank you for your fantastic review. We are very happy you and your husband enjoyed your vacation with us. We appreciate your comments regarding the hotel, good locations, the foods, rooms and wonderful staff. We will share your special thanks with Irma, Humberto, Gerard, Jose and Willy.
Thanks to reviews like yours we have been able to get the Certificate of Excellence 2012 from Tripadvisor
We offer special rates to our returning guests, so if you plan to come back, let us know directly! We are looking forward to welcoming you once more with the kids.
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We were there from jan -19 to feb2 2013...The resort was just beautiful..We were looking for something smaller and we found just that..Food was very good and so were the drinks..We upgraded to a supereme room and had top shelf drinks..The beach is one of the best in Playacar..15 min.. to town was just wonderful..You can walk on thebeach or on the road and its very safe..We met lot of nice people from USA and Europe..Stff are very friendly..Herrardo and Luis at Nicos Bar were asome..Thank you to Gladys at the buffet restaurant.The nice gentleman at the lobby bar i think his name is Armando but we called him Almo was very friendly...Over all it was amazing trip and cant wait to go there again..

Room Tip: Our room as on third floor around the waterfall.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We would like to thank you for your excellent review. We are very happy you enjoyed your vacation with us. We appreciate your comments regarding the hotel, foods and drinks, the wonderful beach and good location.
We will share your special thanks with Gerardo, Luis, Gladis and Armando.
Farmer City, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a 14 day stay (Feb 14 thru 28) at the REEF PLAYACAR. We keep returning to the same resort because we think it is a good value compared to other resorts and we really like the area. This resort is smaller than most, so it may not have as much to offer as the mega resorts, but I'm here for the beach and the sun anyway. The food is adequate for my wife an I.The employees are hard working and courteous. The Reef is situated inside a gated community, so it is very safe to go out on the streets at night if you wish or walk 20 minutes into the town of Playa Del Carmen. I see dozens of joggers and bicyclers on the sidewalks each day. The Playacar shopping mall is close by with no high pressure salesmen to bother you. The beach has to be one of the best in the Riviera Maya area with lots of sugary white sand and no rocks. The hotel is beautifully landscaped in a jungle like atmosphere and kept very clean and maintained. If you go here you have to adjust to a certain schedule as restaurants and bars open and close all day. Don't miss out on the coffee bar and the ice cream shop. They are easily missed because of location and are only open for a short time each day, but are delicious.

If you like Michael Jackson, and the Michael Jackson show is at the theater, it is a must see. I never really cared for Michael Jackson, but these guys did a fantastic job and I can't wait to see it again next year.

I don't want to steer people away from the Reef, but I do want to note a few things that annoy me, but not enough to make me go somewhere else. Four years ago WiFi was free in the lobby. Now it costs $80 a week! I refuse to pay that much, so I walk 5 minutes to Starbucks at the Playacar shopping mall and use their free WiFi. You can get free WiFi at many restaurants and bars in the city of Playa Del Carmen. You just might have to buy a cup of coffee or something.

The Reef doesn't communicate its special events very well at all. I wish they would post events in the lobby, but sometimes you have to figure things out by accident or by talking to other guests and employees. Last year they posted the weather forecast in the lobby, this year...nothing. The pool entertainment staff announces some events, but if you're not at the pool you won't hear it.

I bet some guests don't know where the Botticelli restaurant is. It is hidden above the buffet and there is hardly anyone in there. Maybe I shouldn't tell anyone and keep it a secret so there won't be any waiting for a table, but the food is terrific, so I'm guessing some folks just don't know it's up there. Guillermo is my favorite waiter at Botticelli's and really tries to make you happy. Terraza Grill, the other restaurant above the buffet, started charging for some food unless you pay for the $20 a day upgrade, so we don't go there anymore. If I want to try some different food, I like to go into town and try their multitude of restaurants.

Another complaint is the $2 a day charge for a room safe. I pay for that, but I don't like it.

No one tried to sell me a timeshare, but I saw other folks being talked to. I talked to 2 couples that bought into timeshares and they aren't very happy, so I recommend you just say NO. They get your money up front and then you have to fight with them to get what you were promised.

I totally recommend the Reef Playacar to those folks that are looking for a small, quiet, beautiful and affordable resort, but not if you are expecting a 5 star resort.

Room Tip: We always ask for a room closest to the beach, but you have to take what is available. If you don...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Reef Playacar? Share your experiences!