We arrived early and they very nicely stowed our bags and gave us our wristbands. Then as we had a couple hours to kill they handed us off to a concierge for an orientation that quickly turned into sales pitches for different stores. All of which came with discount coupons upon which our host printed his name and hotel (to get his kickbacks I presume) This then slid into a time share. oh wait not a time share, a "private residence" pitch. One we were able to get clear of that we walked through the very lovely grounds down to the beach and had a drink while we waited. A cold beer and some Don Julio Anejo. When the time was right we went back and finished the check in and were told that they had given us the wrong bracelets and that if we used them at the a la carte restaurants we would be charged additional fees. Well I had paid for a premium room that gave us access to all a la carte meals with no fees so we allowed them to change our bracelet to the proper one. We went to our room and stowed the gear, changed into some swim gear and went back to the bar where we were now told that we could not have the good tequila because our bracelets were now the wrong color. Back to the front desk we went where a different fellow explained that our package did not include the top shelf drinks. The price upgrade was minor and meant the difference between cuervo and don Julio so I clarified that the upgrade would cover all the drinks and get us into all areas and then I purchased it. He dug out the exact same bracelets that we had first been given and when I protested that we didn't want to pay any extra fees for the a la carte he said that we would not. I explained what had happened previously and he said the other gentleman had given us the wrong bracelets and then rather than admit his mistake and explain them had lied about them to get us to give them up voluntarily ( I guess we could have refused and kept them at the get go and saved a $200).
So with the new/old bracelets back on we went back to the bar and watched the bar tender pouring the top shelf Julio for 3 guys wearing the exact same arm bands as we had been wearing and had just paid to upgrade from. Same bar tender that wouldn't pour for us was pouring full shot glasses of the Anejo for these other guys. He seemed to know them or maybe he was just working for tips but needless to say it left a bad bad taste in my mouth.
Oh and despite the front desk assuring us that everything was covered with the new armbands. The a la cartes wine lists cost extra (15 - 25 us for a so so bottle of red) and the chef recommendations at the bottom of the menu cost $20 dollars per plate, not covered under the bracelet or any bracelet as far as I could see. Lobster was one of the things not covered so on our last night in Playa del Carmen rather than fork out money to eat a special meal at a "not so all inclusive" we went down town and had a wonderful dinner at the Blue Lobster Restaurant.
The snack bar by the pool had really bad food, hot dogs and tostado chips with fake melted cheese puked over them (think 7-11)
The buffet was nice and food was varied and the a la cartes' meals were very good and the service was excellent.
The buildings and the grounds were beautiful and the beach was simply heaven
If it hadn't been for that first day and the garbage reception and sales pitch I would have given them a much higher score. instead I went away feeling cheated and stolen from
I won't be back and will certainly make everyone aware of my unpleasant experience there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This boutique style all-inclusive resort is located on a beautiful white sandy beach just steps away from the famous 5th avenue in Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico. The hotel offers all food, domestic drinks and a variety of international drinks included, 1 buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants, Italian & Gourmet($), snack bar, ice cream parlor, various bars including a swim up bar, 2 pools, kids club, daily activities & nightly entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Reef Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reef Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- The Reef Playacar
- Reef Club Playacar
- Reef Playacar Mexico
- Reef Playacar Playa Del Carmen
- Reef Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico