Spent 2 nights with my 12 year old daughter. We had come from 5 nights at the NOW Sapphire.
I will start with the check in which is only place I actually had an issue with. We had e-mailed the hotel ahead of time to request a 2nd or 3rd floor in building 6,7 or 8. We arrived early and our room was not yet ready-no problem. So he suggested we go down to the beach. We walked down and went to get towels and were informed we could not without towel cards which the front desk did not give us. We had wanted to go swimming so we had to wait. Went back at the time he said and our room was ready. They put is in a 1st floor building 10 which was not at all what we had requested. He informed me that was our only choice. So we went to the room with the bell boy. I asked about the safe key (which was included in my room package) and he told me that the front desk has to give us that....hmmm we were just there. So back I go to the front desk and they didn't even apologize for the inconvenience. So the front desk is the only area of the hotel I had a problem with. And each time I was there that afternoon I saw 2 girls standing behind the counter and one gentleman, people were coming to ask questions or get things and the girls just kept sending them over to the one guy so we are talking a line of 3 or 4 people all waiting for this guy and not really sure what the girls job was besides standing around doing nothing. They could be a lot more organized. There is no reason we shouldn't have been given the towel cards when he sent us to wait and why the safe key was not presented before we walked to the room. As for not getting our requested building OK but at least try to get us a 2nd or 3rd floor.
Ok now for the great stuff. The beach and ocean are AMAZING. We spent all day in the water and even did some boogie boarding.
The grounds were stunning. It was a pleasure just walking around and looking at the cenotes, plants and wildlife. We even had some entertaining monkeys hanging around.
The buffet was good and had a really nice selection. We ate at the Terraza Grill one night and it was fantastic. I don't think I have ever had better service. The waiters were fantastic!
We went to the show on Monday night and it was a music through the ages type dance production and the dancers were great and really fun to watch.
Our last morning we walked in to Playa Del Carmen which you can walk on the road or take the beach the whole way. Only about 15-20 minute walk.
The resort when we were there was predominantly European with a few families and a few Americans.
I gave the resort 5 stars even with my issues with check in because the rest of my stay was beyond expectations wish we would have been there more then 2 nights. I will definitely be back again but for a romantic vacation with my husband next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This boutique style all-inclusive resort is located on a beautiful white sandy beach just steps away from the famous 5th avenue in Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico. The hotel offers all food and domestic drinks, 1 buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants, Italian & Gourmet($), snack bar, ice cream parlor, various bars including a swim up bar, 2 pools, kids club, daily activities & nightly entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Priceline and Low Cost Holidays so you can book your The Reef Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reef Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Reef Club Playacar
- Reef Playacar Mexico
- Reef Playacar Playa Del Carmen
- The Reef Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico