My wife and I recently visited the Reef Playacar from November 9 to the 16 and we were quite satisfied with our stay. The reef is small and quaint with a jungle theme and is located minutes from the city of Playa Del Carmen (well within walking distance) in a gated community called playacar. This resort is an excellent choice for those wanting a relaxing vacation and for those trying to avoid the large party resorts.
Upon our arrival we were informed that we would have to stay in a room with two double beds when we had requested a king. In the time it took us to reach our room a staff member had caught up to us and moved us to a recently renovated room with a king sized bed. The room had a couple problems with power but the staff were there in minutes to repair. One problem we did have was the level of humidity in the room. By the end of the trip the room was fairly moist. Could be solved by opening the windows for a bit but we were never in our room long enough for this.
Food at the resort was fairly good. The buffet was the best and had quite the variety of the Mexican, Italian and north American dishes. I do have to say that the al la carte restaurants were sub-par for food quality (especially the Botticelli, my steak was obliterated into super well done status). BUT the waiters were good and lots of other people had great experiences. We seemed to be the odd couple out. No matter, the buffet and snack bar more than made up for it and based on the waiters service I would try the al la carte again.
The swim up bar was the place to be during the day and Humberto the bartender gave us great service and some good tequila! He was always good for a laugh too!
The beach is nice but keep in mind all of the beach in playacar is public. We were not bothered too much by salesmen but the possibility is there.
The staff do a really good job and try very hard. Price point is in line with 3 stars but is definitely much more. Please keep in mind the resort is still going through renovations so if you plan to take siestas during the day make sure you ask for a room away from the renos. All in all a great resort !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This boutique style all-inclusive resort is located on a beautiful white sandy beach just steps away from the famous 5th avenue in Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico. The hotel offers all food and domestic drinks, 1 buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants, Italian & Gourmet($), snack bar, ice cream parlor, various bars including a swim up bar, 2 pools, kids club, daily activities & nightly entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Travelocity, Odigeo, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your The Reef Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reef Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Reef Club Playacar
- Reef Playacar Mexico
- Reef Playacar Playa Del Carmen
- The Reef Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico