Just returned (Oct 31-Nov 7), 1 week of sun and lots of laughs. Chose The Reef because it is small (170 rooms?) and close to Playa (15 minute walk along the beach or street). It was a great choice. The apartment blocks are built around a 'cenote' and a seating area surrounded by jungle. There are canopied lounges and plenty of lounge chairs at the pool and beach.
Staff, Check in was smooth and easy. Front desk helpful and courteous. In fact all the staff were welcoming and friendly. If you try to 'hablo espanol', staff will appreciate the effort and are patient with assisting in the pronunciation. Got a problem or need something - ask, but don't whine. It just spoils everybody's day (people around you-staff and guests alike). The staff may get busy, but they never forgot us and always were there with what we needed. Always a smile and 'hola'.
Rooms, Smaller (not cramped) by some standards but clean with all the amenities necessary. Our room had a large tiled shower (some have a tub or soaker tub) including a clothes line. Air conditioning and ceiling fan kept the room cool. King size bed was firm and comfortable. We only used the room for changing, sleeping and bathroom toiletries so it was perfect.
Food, Fresh and plentiful. The main courses were well presented and hot. Lots of fruit and
salad. Being a smaller resort, there was not as many choices but still enough variety for all of us to have a good meal- breakfast, lunch and dinner. 'Papas fritas' were always hot and fresh at the snack bar.
Concerns/complaints, The shows were loud, not really much to complain about.
This trip has set a high standard for our future expectations. We met people from across Canada and Europe at this resort. A wonderful international meeting place. Some will be our friends for life. There are some Maya ruins within walking distance, a small bird sanctuary and of course shopping, restaurants and clubs close by. There was enough to do without all the tours. Remember this is a sub-tropical climate - there are bugs (cockroaches etc). Competition for the tourist dollar is high, get over it - just say 'No gracias' (no thanks)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This boutique style all-inclusive resort is located on a beautiful white sandy beach just steps away from the famous 5th avenue in Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico. The hotel offers all food, domestic drinks and a variety of international drinks included, 1 buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants, Italian & Gourmet($), snack bar, ice cream parlor, various bars including a swim up bar, 2 pools, kids club, daily activities & nightly entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Reef Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reef Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- The Reef Playacar
- Reef Club Playacar
- Reef Playacar Mexico
- Reef Playacar Playa Del Carmen
- Reef Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico