“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Tucan Hotel

You added Iberostar Tucan Hotel to your Saves list
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avda Xaman-Ha, Lote Hotelero | Fraccionamiento Playacar Nro 2, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #37 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Super place to stay for honeymoon and with family too. Extra service they take care of you all the time, nice food - a big variety. We had a room with a fantastic view for the sea. Beach beside the hotel really nice. A lots of entertainment for visitors. Lovely jungle around - you can be surprised by monkey at 5am in the morning! Be careful with the parrot at the entrance can bite u! And remember to do reservations for restaurants for dinners just when u come in otherwise you will have to eat only in the bufet. Worthed every money!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for having taken your time to write your comments regarding your vacation experience at our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

We highly value your praise about our excellent service, outstanding staff and astonishing flora and fauna in our property. We are happy to know that you had a comfortable stay with a beautiful ocean view.

In addition, our Executive Chef will be very excited to receive your great remarks about our tasty gastronomy.

Once again, we thank you for your review and we hope to have the honor of hosting you again soon at our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
  • Polish first
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We stayed at the Iberostar Tucan in July and we were blown away at the whole experience. We stayed in the 1200 building and it was very convenient to the pool and beach. After looking at the whole property, 1100, 1200 & 1300 are the place to be. I wasn't expecting a lot for the beach but I was pleasantly surprised....it was Grand Cayman quality to me and we spent a lot of time in the water.

Food was good.....I see a number of people complain on reviews but they had something for everyone. We did three specialty restaurants and enjoyed every one (Steak, Japanese and Italian). I had no complaints on the food.

The service was excellent...the staff was very accommodating and made every effort to make sure our trip was memorable. Thanks Iberostar-Tucan, this was our second time in a Iberostar resort and look forward to our return!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for staying at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal and for publishing this excellent summary about your last holiday.

We are glad that you experienced the perfect vacation ever, due to our amazing beach, the variety of food and your comfortable room. Your nice comment on our hard working staff will be forwarded to the Department Managers in order to congratulate them for a job well done.

To put it in a nutshell, we are grateful for having served you and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Boston area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

Our family had a wonderful trip staying at Iberostar Tucan. I would say the pool was the best part! It's huge and simply gorgeous! The beach was nice, a little small and too many sales people on the beach trying to sell you scuba, jet ski trips, etc. the bars were perfect and rooms were nice. We stayed in the 1500 building on the 3rd floor and got to see the monkeys each morning! I highly recommend staying in the jungle area. The grounds were gorgeous! I loved all of the animals and the staff was very nice. The food however was not great. I was hoping for a little better. The buffet could have been better with more variations each day. We did most of the speciality restaurants and how was the Mexican restaurant the worst one?! You must go to the Japanese hibachi restaurant! It was our favorite! The kids club is very lacking compared to other club med resorts we have been to. The star friends all need updated uniforms as they seem very dated and more variations in the daily activities would have been nice. The nightly entertainment was ok. Although the Mexican History one was stellar!! I would certainly recommend this resort noting the things above and would likely consider Iberostar resorts for future vacations. And a nice shout out to Eduardo at the excursions desk. He was awesome! Very friendly, honest, and gave great recommendations for our family with kids ages 6 and 8. I highly recommend the Tulum/Akumal trip with Cancun Adventures and a visit to Xcaret. One last thing...I felt checkin was very bad. This should be improved with more counters! And a nice greeting with cold towels and cold drinks as soon as you arrive! We had to wait about 15 minutes before we were able to checkin since there is only 1 counter. Otherwise, it was an amazing trip for our family! Thank you Iberoatar Tucan!

• Stayed August 2014
Dear guest,

Firstly we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal and for publishing your review.

We are thrilled to read that your experience at our hotel was so positive and that you enjoyed our large pool, perfect to swim or just to relax.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed the wildlife that we are privileged to have in and around our resort. Our rooms with the jungle view receive visits from our famous howler monkeys and that makes our hotel very special and unique. Also, the friendliness of our staff members is one of the reasons many guests return over and over again.

On the other hand, we are sorry that you were not satisfied with our food variety at the buffet and the Mexican a la carte restaurant. Your appraisal will be evaluated by our Executive Chef in order to keep improving the culinary selection and satisfy even more each of our lovely guests' palate.

Furthermore, we are disappointed to learn that the daily activities of our Star Friends and their uniforms were not of your liking. We would like to inform you that the employees’ uniforms are the standard of the chain worldwide. Also, please rest assured that we always try to offer different activities such as dancing classes, riffle or Bingo to all our guests. The Entertainment Manager will receive your feedback for his consideration.

Last but not least, we regret to learn about the wait you had to experience for your check-in. We are working on implementing a new software to make the check-in process more efficient and faster. We hope that our clients will notice the changes.

We would be grateful to have another opportunity to welcome you back to IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal in order to provide you with another nice family holiday.

Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I've vacationed in Mexico a few times and have never been too impressed. This was my first visit to PDC and it wont be my last. My boyfriend and I stayed Sunday to Sunday which was just enough time. I could have easily stayed a few more days before I got sick of this resort. The staff is a pleasure. Very nice, attentive, professional and do not stop working. The resort is very clean and the grounds are well maintained.
When we checked in at the Tucan after a very long delayed flight to Cancun and a 45min van ride to the hotel we were nervous to see what kind of room we'd get. Initially we were told there were no more rooms other than the one they'd given us a ground level pretty far from the pool, ocean or Jungle. After a few minutes of searching they were able to come up with a room in building 21 on the top floor with partial ocean, pool and jungle views. I was very happy seeing as I was celebrating my birthday and wanted everything to be special. What I didn't realize is that the resort is actually broken into two Tucan and Quetzal. We stayed on the Quetzal side which had all the same all inclusive amenities and 100% access to the Tucan side as well. When we got situated in the room I found it to be average. It accommodated us fine. Nice king bed, good size bathroom (minor thing the door opens/closes awkwardly), a day bed & nice balcony. The one thing I found odd was that there was no storage, no dressers. Just the closet with a few hangers and a couple shelves. I basically took up all that and my boyfriend lived out of a suitcase. I cant imagine having a full family in tow with no storage. One could argue how much time do you really stay in the room- not much- but it's still inconvenient.
As for the good stuff.... the ocean was incredible! Water was perfect, white sand, always had chairs, tons of activities. There were a few different pools. The main pool was warm which I loved but my boyfriend didn't find it to be refreshing. It was also kind of deep so if you arent a great swimmer, which Im not, flotation devices are a must. There's also a kiddie pool and an adult's only pool where we spent most of our time. Note for future guests- don't be that family who smuggles your kid into the adult pool. Its annoying an inconsiderate to the rest of us and they'll be asked to leave.
As for activities there is always something going on. Alongside the pools are calendars of all the water activities. Throughout the hotel there are calendars for the nightly entertainment. Everything is very interactive and I was pretty impressed on how theatrical these performers were. If that's not your thing then just take a walk around the jungle its pretty awesome. So many different birds, rodents, monkeys, turtles, iguanas. There was something new we found every day. Truly beautiful & peaceful. Which reminds me... I got a massage in the jungle which was quite an experience. MariCruz was awesome. Between jungle sounds and her massage I was in heaven.
As for the food with any all inclusive if your drinks not strong enough just ask. It also helps to tip they remember you and its typically the same bartenders. The 2 buffets within the hotel and the poolside buffet were great. I favored the poolside buffets breakfast. There are 5 restaurants in the hotel you must make your reservations in advance and can only do 3 at a time. So we opted for the Japanese (Bonsai), Mexican (La Hacienda) and Fish ( La Tropical) restaurants. We lucked out on our last night we were able to be squeezed in to the steak house (La Marimba). Bonsai had a great hibachi display the food was good not great. I was very happy with my meal at La Hacienda and didnt care much for La Tropical. La Marimba was my favorite. The quality was excellent. They also have an Italian restaurant but we're from NJ so we didnt want to even bother. The in room dining was a very limited menu but mostly because you can literally eat around the clock at this place. Room service is pretty obsolete.
We went into town twice once to eat at a local place- El Fogon- it was off the beaten path but worth the trip. The Second time we ventured out to walk on 5th window shop and stop at a few bars. Pez Vela was cool the bar stools are swings. Worth the visit. We always felt safe which was my primary concern. Im looking forward to heading back in the future.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for sharing this detailed comment about your recent vacation at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal in the Riviera Maya, Mexico. We are proud to have contributed to restoring your faith in Mexico as the title of your comment indicated.

We are honored by your positive ratings due to our extraordinary staff; they always try to accommodate every single wish of our beloved guests.
In addition, we are glad to read that our Front Desk team was able to provide you with a room that had met your expectations and created beautiful birthday memories.

Our rooms are nice and accommodating, nevertheless your recommendation about the dressers is welcomed and we will forward it to our Management.

Furthermore, we are glad that you enjoyed our different pools and our entertainment program. We would like to inform you that the swim-up bar is only for adults, so that they can have their own space and the right atmosphere.

Regarding the jungle, we are glad that you were able to experience the unique flora and fauna we have the privilege to live with.

To sum up, we cannot wait to welcome you back in the future.

Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal
Buford, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Our fourth Iberostar stay, but first time at the Tucan. It's a little smaller than some of the others, but we really like that. Some of the facilities are a little smaller too, but they still aren't crowded. The walk through the "jungle" paths up to the common areas is really interesting. You will see several types of animals on the ground and in the trees. The staff is great, ( an Iberostar trademark), and always eager to please.

For stays of only three or four days, it's probably best to just enjoy all the resort has to offer, but if you are staying longer, plan to spend at least one day in Playa del Carmen. A 20 minute walk or $7 cab ride gets you to a neat little tourist town with some really good restaurants and lots of interesting shops. The town stays open late, so you can also wait and go in after dinner.

Check out some of the tours of local attractions as well, but be sure to deal with a reputable vendor. The Mayan ruins are marvelous pieces of history, and the cenotes are intriguing. All in all, the vacation is wonderful and restful, but you can make it even more memorable with a few carefully selected trips off the resort.

Room Tip: Beachfront suites cost extra but the view is worth it!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for your taking the time to write this wonderful review about your last trip to IBEROSTAR Tucan& Quetzal.

We are very grateful for being part of your fourth IBEROSTAR experience and we are glad to know that you spent some fantastic days exploring our breathtaking jungle and animals like monkeys and iguanas.

Also, we feel honored to know that you enjoyed the friendliness and hospitality of all our staff members. At IBEROSTAR, we always try to make our guests feel welcomed and invite them to be part of the IBEROSTAR family.

We would be more than happy if you chose IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal to spend another great holiday in our resort that exemplifies the lovely Mexican Culture and landscape.

Best regards,
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

First time at an all inclusive (besides a cruise ship). We especially loved the Monkeys, beach and the very large pool. The concierge at the front desk name Bernardo on a scale of 1 to 10. He is a number 12. He help make our stay special.
The only things i would recommend is to…extend pool hours longer and add an express lane at the front desk (sometime it was a much too long wait to get simple information if a multiple check in or out were before you). More fans in non air-conditioned inside locations. And of course if you have to pay for WIFI up to say 4 devises in your room should be able to receive signal.
Overall the food was very very good. Most staff was extremely accommodating. Particularly if you have children you will all love this place. We just returned home and I already miss the Tucan.

Room Tip: Building 11, 12, 13, 14 all great but any location has it's advantages.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,

First and foremost, thank you for taking your valuable time in order to post this excellent comment about your last trip to IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal. We feel honored to know that you chose us to stay for your first time in an all-inclusive resort.

Your nice words about our howler monkeys, the beautiful Caribbean beach and our pool, makes us feel very proud to have the privilege to provide our guests with such a wonderful setting.

In addition, we would like to let you know that the Management has been made aware of your extraordinary reference about Bernardo from the Guests Relation Department.

We are grateful about the suggestions made. Some of them are already on the agenda of our Management.

Regarding our Wi-Fi service, this should be working in all areas of the resort, so we are sorry to read that you did not receive signal in your room. Our guests are able to contact our Guest Relation Department or Front Desk staff if problems like yours arise, so that the problem can be solved as quickly as possible.

Last but not least, we would like to thank you again and we do hope to welcome you and your family back in the near future and provide you next time with perfect holidays.

Quality Manager,
IBEROSTAR México
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We loved our stay at Iberostar Tucan, this was our third stay and this time we even brought family members with us. Everyone who works at the resort is wonderful and we want to thank each and everyone for welcoming us and being so friendly and helpful! Everyone from the front desk, waiters at the restaurants, entertainment team, beach/pool, maintance team, cleaning ladies, EVERYONE was wonderful! Special thanks to Roberto the restaurant manager who found my husband's designer glasses, immediately reported them to security and worked with the front desk to deliver them to us asap, thanks again, Roberto, we truly appreciate your help! We had an unforgettable trip with our driver Miguel, special thanks to him and also Leticia who serves the beach/pool area was so delightful and nice to talk to. We cannot wait to come back, the lovely animals at the property, the clean rooms, the delicious food that is everywhere , it is simply an unforgettable experience and we thank Iberostar Tucan and Quetzal! We are already planning our next trip next year when we can hopefully bring with us even more family members to enjoy this paradise!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our beautiful Hotels IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Your wonderful words about our staff confirm the hard work that everybody does every day in order to provide our beloved guests with memorable days. The employees that you have highlighted in your review will be congratulated by our Management. We cannot express how glad we are that you had another fantastic time at our resort due to our lovely wildlife, rooms and delicious food.

We cannot wait to welcome you and your family back in the future.

Best regards,
IBEROSTAR México

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!