“great hotel good area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Tucan Hotel

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Tucan Hotel to your Saves list
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avda Xaman-Ha, Lote Hotelero, No.2, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #29 of 197 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“great hotel good area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

visited this hotel over xmas and new year. good hotel if you like animals had monkeys on our balcony every morning, peacocks roaming round the reception and coatis with various others running round the jungle area.
rooms were not to my taste as they felt uncomfortable due to decor.
food was terrible and i am not a fussy person. the staff also struggle with english.
beach was the best i have been on. you will be hard pushed to beat this one. the only problem was it rained for most of the fortnight. luckily 5th ave and all the shops are a 30min walk away or 5 mins in the taxi. very safe area as it is a gated community.
i would go back this area but maybe not this hotel. i would try a riu as there are plenty on this road. if you are going here i am sure you will enjoy yourself as long as it doesn't rain.

Room Tip: ask for high floor overlooking pool for monkey visits
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear mick t,

On behalf of the Management of our resort Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal, we want to thank you for choosing us to spend your vacations at this beautiful property located at the Riviera Maya.

We feel very grateful and honored in receiving your comments, about our beautiful tropical jungle that hosts endemic fauna and flora from the Mayan forests. This jungle is part of our most distinctive feature that allows our guests to appreciate our environment and can admire some of the living fauna that shares our common area. That is also magnified with the beautiful beach where our resort stands with one of the most privileged locations in the Riviera Maya.

On the other hand, we are deeply sorry to hear that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level concerning our meals. However we would like to clarify that our Chef is always working on improving the different options offered at our buffets and A la Carte Restaurants, and he will receive your feedback so he can look for improvement and enhance the quality that appreciated guests like you deserve.

Regarding our rooms décor, our resort has a comfortable atmosphere that involves a tropical and Mexican by signature decoration that has a basic but elegant and cozy style that is suitable in our family oriented resort. Our Housekeeping Manager will receive your feedback, as it concerns us that you did not feel comfortable in your room.

We would also like to mention that all of the staff that works in positions directly in contact with guests speaks English and other languages (Concierge, Front Desk, Reservations, Operator, Room Service, Waiters and Activities Staff). The hotel also provides English lessons for housekeeping service, maintenance and cooks but it is not mandatory for these positions. We are sorry that you may have experienced some communication difficulties, and we will be reviewing this with our Department Managers.

Once more, we thank you for writing your review and we hope to have the opportunity to host you back again in the near future.

4,040 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
  • Polish first
Tigard, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Tucan/Quetzal 5 times before this visit between Feb. 2002 and Feb. 2007 and we loved the place. We came back again after 7 years and were very disappointed. I see the other reviews here and most of them rave about the service and the food. In our opinion the service and the food has declined. I would have given the place 5 stars before and in fact I did in an old review here. Now, I would have to give it 2 stars at best. The beach and the rooms are still nice. In fact, the beds are much improved over what they were. The beach is great.

The service is just OK overall and subpar at the front desk and other places. We were underwhelmed when we checked in and the room was not ready. Not because the room wasn't ready, but because when we checked in 5 times prior and the room wasn't ready we were offered the use of a hospitality suite to change out of our clothes into resort/beachwear so we could start enjoying the property. Not this time, instead we were told there were rest rooms available. I didn't press the issue because the lady "helping" us at check in was very unfriendly and I didn't want to start the trip by arguing. We also noticed that the number of staff on hand to serve in the buffets and the ala carte restaurants were visibly reduced from what we remembered. It used to be that when you entered the buffet someone would greet you, seat you and introduce the server. Now, you are on your own to find a table. The ala carte restaurants used to have GREAT service, now it appears they have the minimum number of waiters possible to call the places restaurants. We ate at the Tropical and the Mexican and those were very subpar. The service was very much lacking and the food was worse than the buffet. The Italian restaurant had great food and the waiter was great, but the host gave us the run around regarding our reservation. I showed the host our name on his check in sheet and together with his hostess they debated for about a full minute before seating us. It was kind of embarrassing as another couple waiting behind us must have thought we were pulling a fast one. We noticed that the quality of the food in the buffets were lower than before. Little things like un-pitted olives and grapes with seeds, no shrimp like before or no taco el pastor at lunch. I loved that in the past, the nice folks would shave off the meat into freshly heated taco shells...it was great. Now the lunch buffet is hamburgers and fries. If you dare ask for the staff in the lunch palapa restaurant to heat up a tortilla, you get attitude instead.

We noticed that if the employee was in a position that would regularly receive tips, that employee was generally very pleasant. If the employee was not typically in a tip receiving position...eg: front desk staff, a cook at a buffet, taking reservations for ala carte restaurants or working in the gift shop...you were more than likely to receive poor and uninspired service. That said...if you had never been to an AI resort in Mexico before, you may really like the Tucan. We have stayed at many places and now we can cross off Iberostar in the future. My wife and I think that this chain must have reduced costs to keep prices affordable for the family demographic they target. In the past they catered to families and couples and I would have said the place was upscale. If you are seeking an upscale all inclusive, this is no longer the place.

Room Tip: ask for a room in building 13 or lower, we stayed in 15 building and every morning a caged Peacock w...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of the Management of Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal, we thank you for choosing us during your recent visit to the Riviera Maya, as you did between 2002 and 2007.

We appreciate the time you have taken to forward your comments in regards to your experience with us. However, we are deeply sorry to hear that your latest experience during your stay with us did not live up to our usual level concerning the food and beverage quality and customer service from the Front Desk.

We already shared it with the departments involved in order to look for improvement and enhance our hospitality and quality services.

Regarding your concern about our meals, we would like to clarify that our Chef is always working on improving the different options offered at our buffets and A la Carte Restaurants. The food variations in our buffets are part of our quality standards and are continuously reviewed.

In regards to our Tropical and Mexican restaurants, as they are located near by the beach area, they mostly offer fast food and snacks, however it is true that they do not offer tacos al pastor or some Tex-Mex variations at this moment, but we can assure you that most dishes in our menus are recommended by our Chef for their assorted flavors that make our food so delicious. We will for sure be passing your concern to our Chef in order to look for improvement at our buffet and Mexican Restaurant.

Regarding your comment on the lack of service due to not receiving gratuities; we kindly inform you that our Iberostar quality values promote a friendly attitude at all times with our guests, and those values are part of our working policy as an All Inclusive resort. Our staff receives gratuities in a proportional percentage from all our guests’ checks, as it is stipulated in our All Inclusive policies. However, this has concerned us, as customer satisfaction is part of our most appreciated values, so we take your review as a priority point to improve the quality of our services. We will set up a team meeting in order to review in detail your comments.

Once more, we thank you for writing your review and we hope to give us the opportunity to host you back again in the near future.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Iberostar Tucan was AMAZING!! I was nervous about traveling to Mexico and one of the hotels our Apple tour guide dropped a couple off from the airport made us a bit nervous. But Tucan is safely nestled in an area called Playacar which is a gated community. The staff, the activity staff are phenomenal! They work very long hours but having them around all day makes it feel like a comfortable, home environment. I lost my cell phone and Yohel who is incredibly wonderful found my phone. Special thanks to Omar in security for being so nice while I blubbered and Andre for recognizing me in my pictures and giving me the good news that Yohel found my phone. We loved Carlos too and Mauricelo was hilarious!

1412 is a perfect room. It's on a corner facing the jungle and we had monkeys outside our patio. Since it is a corner room it is quieter and also a big bigger. Our room was very very clean and we loved the buffets. The Japanese restaurant was good as well but one minor complaint is that the hibachi chefs need to be friendlier. Ours chef did not introduce himself to us nor interact that much. He did make really good food, though!

One major complaint I have is Muriel in guest services. She is quite snobby, curt, and downright rude. My sister lost her cell phone a few days after me but this time in a cab. We were instructed to speak with Muriel and she acted rather annoyed and bothered about calling the cab company. We had also dealt with her a few days prior to schedule our a la carte reservations. She was rather rude at that time as well. She needs to get her attitude adjusted or GO! She does a major disservice to Tucan.

Thank you Tucan staff! You are all incredibly kind, helpful, friendly, and welcoming! We really enjoyed our stay.

Hola Yohel! Te extrano!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Jodi1412,

On behalf of our Hotel Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal we would like to thank you for choosing us during your recent visit to the Riviera Maya.

We appreciate the time you have taken to forward your comments in regards to your experience with us and your nice comments to our staff; especially to Yohel, Omar and the Star Team Members: Carlos & Mauricio.

However, we sincerely apologize for our Guest Services representative attitude. This is not an Iberostar quality value and further actions will be followed regarding this situation you experienced during your stay.

We want to express our gratitude for all the trust that you deposited in us, with your lost and found item and all the procedures we followed up to assist you. We will make sure to pass your comments on to the Departments involved.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We have been to Mexico several times, to very large resorts to very small resorts, this one is one of the best, the layout is great to get around, wildlife if great, everything is well maintained, room cleaned each day, The staff were great and very friendly, they work very hard to make everything work for you. Pool bar is a little cold, but a good place to get a drink. Main bar is in the lobby, if ask for top shelf and you will get it. The food was not bad, We were able to eat at four of the five restaurants, We enjoyed all of them. If you cannot find anything to eat, you are too picky of an eater. The Beach is large and clean,and you can find a chair anytime you look. We got a room close to the pool, with a little Ocean view, large pool area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the pool area, in 1200 bldg. is good.
Dear Pete B,

On behalf of the Management of our Hotel Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal, we would like to thank you for choosing us during your recent visit to the Riviera Maya and for your great comments about your stay with us.

Your positive review about our hotel and services is highly appreciated. We also thank you for your kind comments regarding our friendly hotel staff, the clean and comfortable rooms and the excellent food. We will make sure to pass the information on to the different departments involved.

Kingston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

My family stayed at Iberostar a few months ago and we loved the beautiful grounds, lush feel to the place and all of the wildlife around the property! The property was also maintained beautifully with our room being cleaned each day and the staff were very helpful and friendly. My children, husband and I enjoyed ourselves very much during our stay. The pools and beach were fabulous. For comparison, we had stayed at Dreams Puerto Aventuras the year prior to this and, I have to say, Iberostar was much better.

Although we did have an amazing time, I would rate this a 4 rather than 5 star resort because of the food. It wasn't bad but, after staying for 8 days, it got rather boring to me and I had a hard time enjoying it at the end of the trip. This may have been just me though as my husband and children had no problems whatsoever with the food.

In sum, I would definitely recommend this resort. I don't think you will regret booking here!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear EFC398,

First and foremost, we want to thank you for sharing your experience with us during your last vacations and the quality time you have enjoyed at our family oriented resort Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

Thank you for your comments regarding our enthusiastic staff and your appreciation for our tropical forest on site. Our company maintains a high quality standard level in the development of Sustainable Tourism, which involves our permanent commitment with the protection of the local flora and fauna. We feel much honored with your comments.

Your positive review about our hotel and services is highly appreciated. We will make sure to pass your feedback on our buffet restaurants on to our Executive Chef for his consideration.

We thank you and appreciate your kind comments and expect to see you in our resort Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal in the near future,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

We just returned home last night and I miss it already! We had such a great time and we were so thrilled with iberostar! Our kids enjoyed the kids club activities and all if the adults who staffed it. The food was great! We made reservations at several of the specialty restaurants and enjoyed them so much. The beach was beautiful and the pool so refreshing. We tried to use as many amenities as possible and were quite successful. Took a catamaran out for a sail, snorkeled with dressel divers and saw turtles and rays.... Our 4 and 6 year old joined us and had a great time. We did some diving with dressel as well and all of the trip leaders were great! We had an amazing time! We ran into some trouble with our reservation through expedia and will never book a trip with them again. They booked our children in as infants and the hotel let us know they had to charge us. Expedia was very unhelpful, but iberostar helped us through the situation and worked with us for a fair price. We could not be happier! Unless we could have stayed longer.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Mamcginn,

On behalf of the Management of Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal, we want to thank you for choosing us for your vacations in the Riviera Maya.

We are glad to know that you were able to enjoy all the services of our hotel, including our restaurants, the kids club and the enthusiasm of our Star Team.

Your positive review about our hotel and services is highly appreciated. We will make sure to pass the information on to the Management and the different departments involved as they represent a motivation to continue improving our services.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

My wife and I stayed here a week in early January. She would give it a five star. Lovely beach, great restaurants right near the beach, large pools and other facilities near the beach, and daily exercise/entertainment. Further, the jungle between the two parts of this huge facility had monkeys, peacocks, iguana's and other animals running freely. Also, enclosed areas had flamingo's, turtles, and a host of fishes and other birds. Amazing entertainment if you like that sort of thing. The rooms were great and the main buffet restaurants had very good food with lots of choice. We only tried one of the other specialty restaurant -- the Italian one -- and found it to be not as good as the two main buffet restaurants. My only reason for not giving this place a five star is the two main restaurants as well as all other areas except the rooms are not enclosed (air-conditioned or heated) and on very hot or cold days you had to seriously dress down or wear a jacket all the time to eat, have a drink, or enjoy entertainment. We had two days that were in the mid to upper teens (Celsius) and thus long pants and jackets were needed, particularly given the strong wind. Overall, it was a great experience, just bring some warm long pants and a light jacket in case you get a cool spell.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 1800 section of the Tucan part. This is near the main lobby and was extremely quie...
Dear Lee G,

On behalf of the General Management of the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal, we appreciate your kind comments about our friendly staff and our unique natural environment.

Your points of view are highly valued by all our staff as they are very inspirational. We feel honored by your comments about our tropical forest and its fauna. Our company maintains a high quality standard level in the development of Sustainable Tourism. That involves our permanent commitment to the protection of the local flora and fauna.

Regarding your comments on our open areas and restaurants, our winter season does not last long, but we highly appreciate your comments and will direct them to the General Management to find out about any other options to temporary solve the problem during those colder days.

Your comment on the Italian restaurant will be sent to our Executive Chef, thanks for your feedback.

We look forward to your return!

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!