This is our 4th trip to the Caribbean and the second return to the Tucan. We love this resort. Most resorts are well manicured and the jungle is cleared out. The Tucan, is nestled "in" the jungle. As you walk through the center of the resort, on your way to the huge pool and the beach, you find yourself in the jungle among various animals, birds, reptiles and mayan "artifacts". The trail is not smooth. It his a rough stone and sort of "hilly". A little difficult in flip-flops but manageable.This year, the food was slightly down from years past. Not as much of a selection as we've seen before but its still good. It is safe to eat, despite what some reviews may say. If you're an experienced traveler, you know what to eat and drink and what not to. We tend to shy away from dairy products as they are not what we are use to from the states. If you're looking for a party resort or to "hook up" the Tucan may not be for you. Its geared more to families and couples. The advantage to this is, quiet. You dont have a group of drunk kids ruining your vacation. The staff at the Tucan is amazing. They are so nice and helpful. If you need anything all you have to do is ask. If they can accommodate your request, they will. Rooms are clean and in good condition. Our bed was hard this year but nor horrible. The maid service was great as always. We usually leave $2 US each day and they fill our fridge everyday instead of every other day. The one thing that annoyed us was the cost of extra activities such as massages, para-sailing, etc. The last time we were there, you could get an hour massage for about $50 US, this year the price had almost doubled. Same goes for para-sailing. A 45 minute "ride" was about $45 US, this year, almost a $100 for 30 minutes. I imagine the world economy has affected food and extra services since 2009. Also, the beach was not as well taken care of this year. Small trash items were found all over. Usually they are very well taken care of.
Over all, we love the Tucan. Other resorts we have stayed at lack in comparison to the Tucan but compared to other Iberostars we have stayed at, the Tucan has dropped a few points in our book. If you dont want extra activities or mind the minor things, its a great place to spend your vacation.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Tucan
- Iberostar Playa Del Carmen
- Iberostar Tucan Mexico
- Iberostar Tucan Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Del Carmen Iberostar
- Iberostar Tucan Quetzal
- Iberostar Tucan Playacar
- Iberostar Tucan Hotel Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Privileged situation directly on the beach of Playacar, around 3 km from the town of Playa del Carmen. Specially recommended for honeymooners. Varied, colourful entertainment programme. Large pool area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Travelocity, MexVax, Orbitz, VISIT US, INC. , Hotels.com, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Iberostar Tucan Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.