“amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Venezuelan
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The flavors of the Venezuelan family in Playa del Carmen, come and enjoy the Venezuelan food dishes, with vegetarian and gluten free options.
New York City, New York
“amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

The reviews don't do it justice. Best service and food we've had for very reasonable prices. If it is your first time they bring you samples of the juices to try before you order. The soursop and passion fruit were our favorites. We had a salad, Araepa and kaxapa. They were all excellent but the kaxapa is a must have. We will seek those out when we get home. Deserts were by far the best we've had in Playa. Corn cake and coconut flan were out of this world. Everything was fresh well prepared and balanced. Can't recommend enough.

Visited July 2014

• Polish first
Dallas, TX
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

After seeing the reviews, we knew we had to try this restaurant. This was the first time for most of our party to have Venezuelan food and we were intrigued by the food options. The juice "tasting" at the beginning was a special treat for us to be introduced to some flavors we would likely have not tried otherwise. All of them were delicious. The food was fresh, delicious and well prepared. Some of flavors were new to us but we were very pleased with everything. The best part of the experience was the owner. He made the entire experience a pleasure--he was so welcoming and genuine. This choice is a no brainer--excellent service, great good and very economical!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“One of the best meals I've ever had.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I have tried a bit of Venezuelan food before (arepas) in a very well-known NYC restaurant, but Kaxapa Factory completely blew me away! Their food is so hearty, well seasoned and has a real home-cooked feeling. The whole dinner was a full five-star experience starting from the extreme kindness and welcomeness of the owners, and finishing up with an amazing corn-cake as a dessert. I definitely recommend trying out their Kaxapa, this was the best of all! I would visit Playa del Carmen again for just that restaurant!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Interesting food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I went to Kaxapa Factory with my husband for lunch and it was alright. We found it at the top of the list on Trip Advisor actually, so we were both pretty excited to try it out, especially because we never tried venezuelan food before. The owner there is a really nice man, who greeted us warmly. They have a lot of vegetarian options, and that was nice to see. They also have interesting and delicious drink options which we like. We both started with a lentil soup, which was amazing. Then we ordered a Kaxapa and a Patacon, and the flavors were.. interesting. The Kaxapa is like a corn pancake with a slightly sweet flavor and they make it like a taco with whatever filling you like. Its on the heavier side, and the flavor is rich. However neither of us were crazy about it. And the patacon isn't like anything either of us had ever tried before. It's kindof like a salad, with a hard plantain tostada on top and its drizzled with a sweet ketchup-like red sauce.. We really weren't sure how to go about eating it. The plantain tostada was really hard and difficult to cut or get a fork through. I also thought i tasted pickles..? Im normally a pretty adventurous eater, but this was definitely not like anything i have ever had and the flavors were a little confusing to me. All in all, we left the restauraunt feeling great about the service, drinks, and the soup, but dissappointed with what we ended up ordering. We definitely expected more from a 5-star rating. The location is also not very great. I would recommend eating there when it is not summer. We might probably visit again in the future, but will definitely be trying something different and probably on the safer side. Definitely a place to try if you are familiar with venezuelan food or if you are an adventurous eater who likes to try new flavors. Probably not the place to go if you're really hungry and just want something that "hits the spot".

Tulum, Mexico
“Yummmmmmmm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Was not too familiar with much more Venezuelan food than an arepa I had from a food cart in Portland, OR. But this place has those and more! I tried the patacone mixta with chicken and beef and enjoyed every bite of it. It ended up being a lot of food, but I couldn't stop myself from finishing the entire thing. Even my fiancé was surprised by my appetite. He ordered an empanada with beef and an arepa with chicken and was happy with both dishes also, even though he was craving a turkey salad before we arrived (I convinced him to change his mind--a great decision!). we will definitely be back!!