“La Perla-great place for a vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla

You added Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla to your Saves list
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   5a Av Esq Calle 112 | Col. Luis Donaldo Colosio, Playa del Carmen 77719, Mexico   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Up to 15% discount
Ranked #13 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Halifax, Canada
“La Perla-great place for a vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

This resort was all I expected and more. The rooms were very nice and lots of room although I was a little disappointed with our view, it was so humid we couldn't sit out on it at all. The service was exceptional as was the food. We ate at Bana and Naos most often and enjoyed all. The beach was small but nice with a great breeze however it is very rocky so not a great place to swim or frolic in the water. My one and only minor complaint was that we found the resort to be so large and you had a lot of walking to get from the adult side to the restaurants and meeting areas in Esmeralda...some short cuts would go along way to making it easier to get around.

We were there for 4 nights with a group from work and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a great place to relax with minimal interaction with children on the Esmeralda side.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the pool area...this way you get to over look the pool and the breeze and be able...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for share your observations on Trip Advisor, thank to your comments we can know the details that we have to work.

We are glad to learn that you had a great vacation in our Paradisus La Perla, and to know that you enjoyed your room, our dining options and the service provided for our staff. Ir is an honor fo us read that as a part of a group you could enjoyed your time here.

If you decided to come back with your family the next time will be an honor to host you.

Quality Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (932)
  • Hebrew first
Clarkesville, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We normally don't stay at large, all inclusive properties in our travels. We spent 3 nights in Paradisus La Perla to attend the wedding of a friend. Our group stayed in both La Perla and Esmerelda so we covered both sides of the property.. They did a beautiful job with the wedding and the reception and we really enjoyed our stay. We did a lot of walking around the resort which was a good thing as we did a lot of eating and drinking as well. This is a very large property so you could easily walk a quarter of a mile to get between rooms and restaurants. The food was very good and plentiful. They certainly had a full range of cuisines available in several restaurants. The breakfast buffets were incredible. Fruits, cereals, breads and pastries, omelettes to order, huevos rancheros and tamales, meats, cheeses, fresh juices with vodka and champagne available for mimosa or bloody mary. I think you get the picture. Coffee is served at your table. The rooms were very nice with king beds, large walk in shower, large Jacuzzi tub and nicely stocked refrigerator in the room. Some rooms have hot tubs on the patios and I think the swim up rooms would be worth the premium. We walked the beach a few times but didn't set up camp. The chairs and cabana beds were nice but closely spaced. Large oversized towels are provided. The open air lounges are very comfortable and a great gathering place. Our friends are considering returning with the children for a family vacation. It will take you a day or so to find you way around - Enjoy the journey.

Room Tip: The top floor rooms have a better view and request a room facing the courtyard/pool area as the back...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us.

We are very happy to read that you and your friends enjoyed both properties La Perla adults only and La Esmeralda for families, that you enjoyed walking around of the property, the different dining options that we offer, the room and that the beautiful wedding.

It is an honor for us to be part of the special occasions; we are gladly to know that everything was it should be.

Definitely, we will be waiting for all the members of that group who decide to come back, will be a pleasure make your holidays a memorable moment.

Dunmore, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My husband and I just returned after staying 8 days at La Perla for our honeymoon. I had such high hopes for our time at this resort because the reviews on Trip Advisor were so good. I now wonder if Paradisus pays some individuals for these high score reviews. I don't expect any place to be perfect but we paid a significant amount of money for a swim up suite with Royal Service and it wasn't worth the money. I hope my review will steer others to try a different resort so they don't regret spending a lot of money and getting just an average experience.

We tried all of the restaurants at the resort and the food was OK but nothing spectacular. We were even able to try Passion because it was free with any stay over 7 days. It calls itself a 5 star dining experience but the food was no better here than at the other restaurants so don't spend the extra $50 per person for a mediocre meal. The only plus at Passion was the staff was DEFINITELY more attentive to the people dining at the experience. Which brings me to one the most FRUSTRATING things with the dining experience at La Perla............the very slow service!!! Plan to spend 6 to 8 hours of you day just waiting. Waiting for a drink. Waiting for a server. Waiting for your appetizer. Waiting for your entrée, etc. And guess what???? It's not because the staff is slow. These workers are hustling, even sweating! We could come to only 2 conclusions: they are understaffed or mismanaged. My guess is probably a little bit of both. Manager, Alan, I know you will write a rebuttal to this review so when you're reading this please make sure that moving forward there's a manager at each restaurant that can coach the staff so they're not running around in circles and consider hiring more staff!! Dinner was the worst with the experience taking up to 3 hours at times. I didn't travel to the Caribbean to spend hours inside your restaurants when I could be in the sun or beholding the beauty of the ocean. Make your reservation for dining before you go if they allow because by the time we arrived at the resort the only times available for dinner were 10 pm at night. We had exceptionally slow service at Fuego and this was our wedding reception dinner with a party of 6. We waited 30 minutes just for our wedding cake to be wrapped up after asking 3 times. One of those times my husband even had to go into the kitchen to get someone to attend to us. We decided to just leave without the cake and the server came running after us.....but not with the cake with a pen in hand for a signature for the one premium wine bottle we had. We were beyond upset that they couldn't follow through on getting our wedding cake wrapped but were attentive enough to run after us for money. The manager was made aware and simply apologized but the night was ruined and we were embarrassed that our wedding guests encountered this on our special day.

I know many have said this but if you want top shelf you have to ask for it and some bartenders get visibly aggravated when you ask for it. Side note, that doesn't pertain to Juan who is probably the best bartender on the resort. He is very customer service oriented and has a great sense of humor.

Pools close at 7 pm- sharp. We were upset that we couldn't enjoy the water in the evening. I could somewhat understand this for the main pool areas but for the private swim area right outside our room that we paid extra money to have, the close up time of 7pm is UNACCEPTABLE.

Royal Service & Butler- another thing you pay extra for. Makes you think the resort would be falling all over you, right? Wrong. The butler mainly makes your dinner reservations and completes a turn down service at night. There is a complete list of items the Butler CAN do but they didn't offer it. You have to ask and even then they seem upset that that they have to do something else. Maybe it goes back to being understaffed and they simply have too many things to do for too many guests??? But at times I felt like I was inconveniencing them when I asked for something and that didn't leave me feeling like this was a 5 star luxurious resort amenity. I thought the Butler would be bringing me drinks on the beach and delivering a newspaper like at other resorts. I do have to give credit to Rosa for decorating our room on the night of our wedding and on the night of my birthday complete with champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries. Now, that was butler service!

Rooms & Grounds: probably the best thing about this resort. The rooms are beautiful and the grounds are gorgeous!

Beach: small, short, rocky. Nothing to boast about and that is probably why they don't show many pics of it on their website. There aren't enough beds, chairs and umbrellas even on the Royal Service side. The waiter runs constantly for drinks but just can't deliver quick enough for everyone because again, understaffed??

Surrounding area seems VERY unsafe. There's barbed wire as you look across the street. Just a block away from the resort there are police standing guard with M-16's in their hands. SCARY! You have to cab it everywhere and that means more $$ spent.

We won't return and I can't help feel sad and guilty that we and our wedding party spent so much money for such an average experience. For half the cost, we're all going back to Coupes in Negril next fall.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write your valuable comments about your recent experience in our Paradisus La Perla, Royal Service area.

We regret very much that we did not impress you with some of our services, as you mentioned the Royal Service services is an extra benefit and the service has to be very personalized, we are sorry to learn that they did not impress to you, despite that they even ironed your wedding dress and your husband’s wedding suit, definitely we will speak with all the managers involved, to share your observations and work on it. Our guest's opinion is very important for us because is the only way that we can improve our service and if is necessary even change some processes.

Regarding your wedding cake, we truly regret that situation and we offer you a sincere apology, this should not have happened in this important day, we understand your annoyance.
On the other hand we are glad to read that you recognized the service provided by Juan and Rosa, persons like them can change the experience of our guests, we appreciate your mention, also we are very glad to read that you consider our rooms and grounds beautiful and gorgeous.

Please be certain that this is not the usual service that we offer to our guests, if you decide to give us other opportunity to show you the real Paradisus Experience, I assure you that we will change your first impression and the most important you will not regret.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Everything is five stars about this place. The food, the service, the cleanliness, the rooms, the restaurants, etc.. If you go there, you wouldn't want to go anywhere else on your next trip. The place is perfect. Two problems: the pool is cold in the winter and is never heated. The beach isn't the best.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My Wife and I stayed at La Perla from April 8-14, 2013. The hotel decor is very modern and detailed. We stayed in Royal Service and our beautiful room had a full ocean view (Rm1293) on the 2nd floor. During our stay we ate at several of the resturants and the food, service, and staff were top notch. We would like to single out Juan (poolside bartender) and Arturo (server) at the Royal Service Pool. These gentlemen catered to our every wish and made my wife and I feel like royalty. I definitely recommend Royral Service....the only small downside was that our Butler service from Luis and Fernando seemed a little disconnected and we had to repeat our requests on more than one occassion. Otherwise the staff at the Royal Service area was wonderful. BTW-although I have seen several negative comments about about the beach area, we found it quite pleasent, with the water clear and the beach sandy...we live in Miami so we should know something about beaches. We will be coming back!

Dear Guest,

First we would like to thank you for choosing our Paradisus La Perla, for this special occasion, thank you very much for letting us be part of that important holiday.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed The Royal Service Benefits, the different dining options that we offer for our guest, that you enjoyed your room and the beach area. Our guest's observations are very important for us, we will verified the service provide for your private butlers in order to work on it.

On the other hand, thank you for noticed the work to Juan and Arturo, we are very proud to have them in our team, certainly we will pass your comment to them and we are sure that they will be more than happy to know that they helped you to have a memorable experience.

Thank you again for write about your experience and will be a pleasure to host and pamper you in your next stay.

calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

What can I say about this hotel, hmm, not much? We spent 15 nights at La Perla. This was our 25th time to Mexico, I’ve stayed at 5 plus stars, 4 stars, 3 stars, I would classify this hotel as a 3 plus. The only thing I liked about this resort was the room 2319 (and I don’t spend much time in my room). Where do I start, let’s see, they classify this resort as “most luxurious hotel”, although while dinning at any of the “al la carte” restaurants you can - actually wear shorts, sandals, and yes even a baseball cap (classy). We dined at all the al la carts and I didn’t really care for any of them. I never once left saying “oh we have to go back to this one”.

My daily routine is up at 0600, to get our chairs at the beach, steel chair you can get, but don’t think you’re getting a towel until 9:00 AM.

They have a make shift bar at the beach, and food stand (not the most hygienic/sanitary conditions – I’ll leave it at that)

The pools, well, it’s your typical huge pool that flows throughout the resort, very noisy with kids running all around. No quite pool. No cushions on the pool chairs, “most luxurious hotel”??? I don’t think so Tim. Even the towels are not high quality and are white on one side so you can see stains of food on them - ughh really white towels.

Shows at night are ridiculous, they have the nightly entertainment at the lobby bar, Yes the lobby bar - you have 500 people trying to see a Michael Jackson impersonator at the lobby bar, I mean really, lol. They set up wooden creates and tables, for the performers to dance and jump on, I was waiting for one of them to miss there step and go falling to the ground. Strange - Huge complex and they have their nightly shows in a lobby bar that seats 50 -75 guests.

We spent several thousand dollars to stay at this hotel because it was rated so high, and I feel that it is rated high due to the fact that not many reviews have been submitted.

Also, the resort is in a very very bad part of Playa. You cannot, CANNOT leave the resort and walk onto the streets to playa or try to catch a bus – it’s too dangerous. You either have to take a cab for 10$ (10 minute cab drive) or walk on the beach for 35 minutes to get to the heart of 5th Avenue.

I was so disappointed with the resort; I would have loved to have been at Secrets Capri, or Royal Hideaway rather than this resort. We made the best of it , but I would never return.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for write about your recent stay in our Paradisus La Esmeralda, all our guest´s opinions are very important for us because they help us to know what are the areas that we have to improve and work of them.

Please, let us inform you that La Esmeralda complex is focus on families; that is the reason which the pools are adapted for the recreation for the children, in La Perla complex the kids are not allow.

Regarding all your observations, we are glad to inform you that all your notes were shared with all the different departments involved, we assure you that we will be working on it and are under review for improvement.

Once again thank you for share your experience, and if you decide to give us other opportunity, we will do our best to change your first impression.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

this hotel was the perfect fit i loved everything was great as soon we got there check in was easy the room was huge i really love my stay always love going to mexico we will be back in paradisus.

the beach is stunning the grounds are in great condition i will recomend this resort in a heart beat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recommendation, we feel very honored.

We are very pleased to read that since the beginning you enjoyed the Paradisus Experience, also it is very heartwarming to learn that you enjoyed your room and our facilities. We are glad to read that you had a fun time, our guest´s satisfaction is the most important mission, we are honored to know that we accomplish our goal with you.

Will be an honor make you repeat this fantastic experience with us.

Quality Manager

Been to Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla? Share your experiences!