“Playa del Carmen Perfecto” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla

Save Saved
You added Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla to your Saves list
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   5a Avenida Esquina Calle 112, Playa del Carmen 77719, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 197 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Delta, Canada
“Playa del Carmen Perfecto”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Last year we stayed at the Paradisus in Veradero, Cuba and loved it. This year we chose Paradisus La Perla and were not disappointed. Nice beach walk to the town center but you could just stay at this resort and relax. Evening shows, activities during the day and great restaurants to try ..... My only "complaint" was whiny kids in some of the "shared" specialty dinner restaurants (this resort has a children/family section of their own). Maybe a dinner hour separate for parents and children and a later dining time for adults only would solve the problem?
Kudos to Exhel (Market Restuarant) for his great service and to the waiter (also @ The Market) who mixed me up a remedy and suggested a morning Guava smoothie concoction for my "too-much-sun" hangover! It worked!
Otherwise a great experience and loved our stay!

Room Tip: I don't think there are any "bad" locations at this resort. I prefer peace & quiet...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all let me thank you for your loyalty to our Paradisus brand, as this was your 2nd Paradisus experience and we hope you will have a 3rd and a 4th and many more.

We are happy to know that your trip ended up with an unforgettable experience and your expectations from our resort were surpassed regarding the quality in beverages, facilities in general, food variety, and attentive service.

Regarding the schedule for families and adults at Bana restaurant (the only restaurant open for families at La Perla) the last schedule receiving kids is at 8:00pm. This means that after 9 you will not find any minor in the area.

Thank you for your valuable notes and please remember that Paradisus La Perla will have a suite ready for your future Caribbean getaway.

2,584 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed at the resort over the Thanksgiving holiday. It was a belated Honeymoon for my husband & I. I had done my research and 5star reviews can have their drawbacks. The bar was set pretty high and unfortanetly it was not met.
We stayed on the LaPerla Side with the Royal Service.
It is definitely not inviting when you turn off the main hwy, this was to be expected, however, I didn't expect to have to look at the apartments surrounding the resort.
Upon arrival to the resort, it seemed to be some sort of confusion when the driver gave our name, but after a few mins we were set to go. We were dropped off at the LaPerla, we were eventually greeted w/warm towels and our luggage was immediatly taken away. We gave our name and after a few mins she realized we were with the Royal Service, so our luggage had to be retrieved and we had to sit & wait to be taken to the Royal Service entrance. Finally our butler Tomas arrived. I didn't get the "whisked away" feeling, it seemed like we were taken down the service corridor.
When were arrived at the RS Entrance we were checked in, everything went very smoothly (Eric? I forgot his name, sorry). We were told our room was not ready, since it was not yet 3pm, however we could use a room upstairs to change, although we didn't have our luggage. Not sure why our room wasn't ready since it was empty on the RS side. So we went to lunch and then came back to lobby. We went to Palapala, which was good, we were tired and just wanted to get to our room.
We had a swim up room. The swim up rooms on the RS side are not the same as the other swim up rooms, the "built in bed" is not on the RS side, bummer. My husband liked being able to go in for a swim whenever he wanted, I was indifferent. There was a Pool bed, chairs and jacuzzi on the patio. Note that you need to fill the water all the way to the top, otherwise the water will shoot out everywhere.
The room was amazing, spacious and comfy. The downside was that we were next to the exit, so we heard people coming and going. And we hardly ever had hot water.
We were so tired after dinner...Mole good food from what we remembered., that we went to bed at 8:30. We missed the Michael Jackson show. We were awaked @ 9:30 by the RS staff, they had a honeymoon for us and wanted to give us turndown service, I had to repeat myself a couple of times that we were sleeping. We were awaken @ 12:30am by the loud bass coming from a reserved party @ the outdoor bar. WOW, it must have been very loud, I can only imagine how it kept all the kids on the other side up.
Day 2, hopefully it gets better!
We spent most of the day by the beach & pool, Tomas found us there and I expressed wanting a Thanksgiving dinner, so he made reservations for us @ the Grill. He didn't seem to concerned about our disappointing 1st night sleep. I made a couple of trips back to the room and always made sure the tag was not on the door. Upon returning from a wonderful day pool & beach side, we found our room not serviced. The (2) shower heads are deceiving, there is only hot water out of one and it only lasts long enough for one shower. On our way to dinner we stopped at the RS desk to let them know about our room, the notes in the computer said we had a tag on our door the entire day, not the case.
Dinner was disappointing, I do not understand why we needed to upsold on wine, steaks & lobsters! Thanksgiving dinner was quite boring. When we got back to our room it was serviced, however there were no bath towel. RS had brought our Honeymoon champagne & strawberries and placed rose petals on the bed & bath, nice touch. However someone had left our patio door open and we were on the 1st floor. Tomas had expressed how cautious they were about security. Nothing was taken, but it ruined the evening for us.
We spent our days by the beach or pool and had amazing lunch served to us, from the Market/Grill the Chicken Caesar burritos are amazing. Javier on the beach was wonderful! As were Melquiades, Walder, & Emanuel by the Pool! Thank you!
The Beach is deceiving, while you do not see the rocks, they are there. And there are rafts if you need them at the RS pool. It would have been nice to know where we could rent the jet ski's and get the snorkel & kayaks. I understand we were on the RS side by we should have been showed all of that.
We ate at the buffet everyday for breakfast, service was a little slow, but it was always so busy and it could have had a more variety of foods, change it up a little more, daily. We had Sushi on night and my husband said it was the best Sushi he ever had and he's a sushi snob. I was impressed that I didn't break my rolls, usually the fall apart when I attempt to eat them with chopsticks. The best dinner, overal was @ Passions, it was shame we had to pay more $$ for the best food & service. I apologize, but I can't remember our server's name, we were there the Saturday after Thanksgiving our reservations were around 6. He was great, my husband said he should be in sales! I feel terrible that I can't remember his name, taller, bigger built, UGH! The Martini's there were fabulous, my husband had never had one!
We were leaving on Sunday and that was our butler's day off, so you would have thought he would come say goodbye, however he didn't, he did not even stock our fridge. We had no coffee, no diet coke, & no snacks.
I have stayed at the Secrets Capri previously and chose LaPerla RS over Maroma. Next time we will definitely try Maroma. The only + thing about having the Royal Service was the beach & pool service & seating. There was a very large group when we were there and they took over the LaPerla side. To spend more $$ to get 5star service & food is crazy. We made our honeymoon the best that it could be. It's unfortunate the the Royal Service did not live up to the 5stars that I had read. I will say that the other RS Butlers I spoke with on many other occasions we were very helpful, Oma, Omar, Luisa, & Eva, thank you!

Food-Okay
Royal Service-worth getting for the beach & pool service, not the butler service
Rooms-comfy

Room Tip: 1099, right next to door, you can hear everyone going in & out. Little to no hot water. Sounde...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

First of all, thank you for sharing your experience at Paradisus La Perla – Royal Service.

Your comments are very important for us, it is through them how we learn about what we need to improve to avoid negative points in future guests experiences. That is why we have sent your notes to the managers of the involved areas: Housekeeping, Butler Service, and Food and Beverage.

As service-oriented company, we have a firm devotion to accomplish our guest’s satisfaction; therefore, we are sorry to read the butler service was not what you were expecting for. That additional service provided to our Royal Service guests, must be a total help during your holidays. Be sure we will take corrective actions to prevent future occurrences about it and for the next time you honor us with your visit, please let us know about this situations while you are in the property to solve them promptly and guarantee your full satisfaction.

Fortunately our partners at the Royal Service lounge and the staff at the beach / pool area were magnificent with their work. We will communicate your notes to Emanuel, Javier, Melquiades, Walder, Omar, Eva, and Luisa to inspire them in maintaining their caring attitude to our guests.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and hopefully you will provide us another opportunity to host you at Paradisus La Perla.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My husband and I went to the Paradisus La Perla Hotel to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and emailed Mariangelo Coppola Stheplen and explained this. When I arrived I also told reservation and the woman that made our arrangements for dinner. I was very disapointed not one person went out of there way and did anything special for us. Not even a happy anniversary. (On our 20th anniversary we went to the Excellence Hotel in Punta Cana and they put us at a very romatic table with rose peddles and champagne. ) I would never complain to tripadvisor other than my last day I was sitting with a young couple at the pool and they were celebrating their 10th anniversary. The hotel upgraded them to a one bedroom room. After reaching out through email I think they let the ball drop by not acknowledging our special event.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for letting us know about your recent experience at Paradisus La Perla. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value all our guests' opinions.

As stated in other review´s responses, we really enjoy celebrating with our guests during a special occasion, whether it is a birthday, graduation, honeymoon or anniversary. We are deeply sorry to read that due a communication issue we were not able to succeed your expectations this time. We have sent your notes to different staff members that may receive direct emails from our clients in other to improve the communication between departments and avoid future inconveniences like the one you described.

I can assure you that if you give us another opportunity to host you, we will do our best to assure you will have a fantastic experience, besides the service and facilities you have experienced.

Evanston, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Our trip was mostly good except that someone stole a silver necklace and a shirt from my luggage while it was in our room. The room was locked so I think it must have been a staff member. When I reported the theft, they had me speak with a security staff member who didn't speak English very well. I thought he told me to meet him in the room at 3pm. I waited for maybe 30 minutes and decided this was a terrible waste of my time. They then sent two security staff members who wanted to look through all my luggage to see if I had "misplaced" my necklace. I don't know why, but I agreed. They didn't find it and I had wasted even more time and had to watch people go through my things. There was no apology for the theft or our wasted time. I understand that maybe they don't want to admit that their staff might be stealing from guests but they could have told us that they were sorry that we were inconvenienced or that we had had problems. That is not admitting fault but would have been more polite. It left me feeling even more angry than before.

Except for this unfortunate event, we enjoyed the stay. The food was top notch. I loved the mexican place the best and my wife liked the latin food even more. The restaurant staff were so attentive and the bartenders were fantastic--especially the guy at the pool bar. The atmosphere is cool and modern. They might consider using less fragrance in the lobby. It smelled too strongly. Other than that it was fine.

So, I guess if you are lucky enough to not have things stolen, you'll have a great time. If management finds the thief and fires them and if they learn to be a bit nicer to guests who report problems it will be an even better place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I had the opportunity to spend a week at La Perla with my wife, and I'm glad to say it was an amazing experience. We had a great time, service was excellent and we enjoyed the variety of restaurants, amenities, and shows. The hotel staff was really helpful and kind, particularly Marcelino from The Market restaurant, and the whole staff from the Sunset Bar.
We'll definitely recommend this hotel to our friends and family!

Dear guest,

It is pleasant for us to know that you enjoyed your stay at Paradisus La Perla and that you appreciated the friendliness and service of our staff. Especially the service provided at Sunset bar and by Marcelino at The Market. We will gladly pass on your compliments to them and we are sure that your notes will motivate them to continue with their great job.

We value your recommendation to future Paradisus tourist to stay with us and corroborate by themselves our Pure Freedom philosophy and service culture we transmit to all our guests.

Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This hotel is one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever seen. From the lobby to the pool area the architecture is so modern and gorgeous. Our room was completely over the top! Set up so well with his and her's closets, plenty of drawers, separate toilet, bathroom area with huge double shower with rain head and hand held sprayers, double sink and bathtub for 2. There is a separate sitting are with a lovely sofa, coffee table, 2 chairs and small dining table. Large balcony with spectacular view of the pool.

Everything is pristine and spotlessly clean.

The only drawback was that the food did not live up to the accommodations. It was good but not great. Hard to get something hot.

The service was excellent and the staff extremely kind and helpful.

Dear guest,

We are pleased to know that your overall experience was favorable with the comfort in your suite with all the equipment and furniture you have described, and of course with the entire well maintained facilities in general.

It would have been fantastic for us to read you also found special delicacies at our restaurants to satisfy your palate, considering the variety at our culinary tour, part of our LUXEclusive plan.
If you come back to the Mexican Caribbean, please consider staying again at Paradisus La Perla to pamper you the way you deserve.

southern ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

. As a senior travel industry so called expert I have stayed in too many southern resorts to even begin counting them.
This property takes first place for its category. The developers have addressed almost every imaginable need you could have and then some. Power outlets in the in room safe to charge devices under lock and key, no annoying towel cards, ugly wrist bands, and ridiculous wifi fees for less then desirable service.

Most staff is well trained in customer service and English. There is a "can do attitude" that is refreshing and actually works well.

Restaurant quality is above average no matter where you go with the freshest of food possible.

Accommodations are as good as it gets with plenty of drawer space, super comfortable bedding and amenities. Bathrooms, LED tv lots of lighting. The best of the best.

The la Perla is an adult only property but if your traveling with another couple with kids they can stay in the other half of the complex and you can all meet up at some of the restaurants and beach area for kids. Otherwise as an adult only you really enjoy the privacy often associated with adult only resorts.

Talking about beaches, long, narrow, sandy and beautiful for those for ever long walks we love to do. A few locals hardly any annoying local beach vendors.

So why not a perfect 10 ? House keeping was inconsistent in delivery.

Would we come back ? I don't want to leave lol.

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your Paradisus La Perla experience with us and with future visitors.

We appreciate your kind words to refer to all the resort areas that impressed you during your stay. As you may have seen, we work very hard to maintain the areas in perfect conditions and the perfect ambiance to rest while vacationing at the Caribbean.

We are glad to know that being a frequent traveler you found at Paradisus La Perla a new place to relax, full with commodities, great quality in food and beverage, and of course, warm service.

Your notes regarding housekeeping service have been sent to the correspondent manager to improve the efficiency in the department.

Please consider to stay with us again in your future vacations by the amazing Mexican Caribbean.

alan.becerril@melia.com

Been to Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla? Share your experiences!