“Exceedingly Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Viva Wyndham Azteca

You added Viva Wyndham Azteca to your Saves list
Viva Wyndham Azteca
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo Xaman-Ha, Lote Holetero No. 8, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #66 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Detroit, MI
“Exceedingly Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Viva Wyndham Azteca from 2/20/10 through 2/27/10. The hotel is a fairly small facility which is a plus for some people. The grounds are about average for hotels in the area. The hotel staff is very nice, friendly, and accommodating. The only exception was some use of loud profanity (in both Spanish and English) by a couple members of the recreation staff. This hotel does not offer the level of service that other similarly priced hotels in the area provide. There are no waiters or waitresses to serve you at the tables in bar areas. If you are seated at a table, you must get up and go fetch your own drinks.
The rooms are small and sparsely furnished. If you are OK with living out of your suitcase for a week, this should not be a problem. Lighting in the rooms, especially the bathrooms, is poor at best. After day three and two visits from the hotel engineering department, we gave up on use of the air conditioner. This was not a major issue, as the evenings were unusually cool and the room offered a patio door with a full screen.
The food was good, but the hotel offers a very limited variety when compared to other hotels in the area. The Hotel seems to have a strange affinity for hot dogs. This selection could be found at every location, for every meal. The lunch served at the main (beach) bar was the same every day (Hot dogs, hamburgers, and pizza). Again, a little variety and maybe some Mexican favorites would have spiced up this rather bland selection. Guests do have the option to walk five minutes down the way to the Wyndham Maya to use the restaurants and facilities at that location. There is really not much difference between the two however.
Use caution in the pool area. The pool is surrounded by a very beautiful stone tile that offers no traction to wet feet. I saw a number of people slip and spent very little time in this area. It really is a very dangerous situation. The pool is also fairly small for a hotel of this size. The apron area accommodates about 75 sun loungers. Again, not up to par with other properties in the area.
The beach is absolutely beautiful and very wide. There are a number of planned beach activities daily (volleyball, soccer, darts, bocci, and a few others). If you are interested in snorkeling, this area does not provide access to this activity. You can however book a two hour boat trip from the Wyndham Maya to a local reef for $35 USD.
The gym / spa area was probably the worst area of the hotel. The gym offers LifeTime brand fitness equipment which is good quality. The gym itself was dirty. It offered no means of wiping down the equipment befor or after use. The adjacent spa area was unkept. We arrived before our room was ready and were told we could change in the spa area. We found another location. Enough said. The hotel managemrnt would be well advised to put the gym attendant in charge of cleaning the area.
Overall, if you get a fantastic deal at this location, go for it. If you are deciding between competitively priced packages, look elsewhere and avoid being disappointed. Other locations offering competitive packages were the Palladium, Barcelo, and Grand Sirenis a little further down the coast. We have stayed at all of these and they are far superior for the money in all categories.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
VivaWyndhamAzteca, General Director at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, April 22, 2010
Dear Customer,

First of all please accept a sincere apology for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during your recent stay in the Mayan Riviera. We appreciate the time you dedicated to write your remarks about your vacations. Your comments will assist us in our commitment to improve in all aspects of our operations.

It is our priority to satisfy to all of our clients and I can assure you that we work every day with great efforts to get better in our services.

I remain at your service.

Viva Wyndham Azteca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Polish first
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

Myself my daughter and her g/f stayed at the Azteca from Feb 17th to the 24th. The new beach is beautiful and I hope it doesn't erode away too quickly. The water was clean and warm and some days we had huge waves to play in. Beware though, I was stupid one day and left my prescription sunglasses on in the water knowing i would not go in too deep, a huge wave swamped me by surprise and bye bye sunglasses! Thank goodness I had a spare pair.

The rooms were clean, we had a coffee maker and a safe included. The beds were like sleeping on a thick sheet of plywood and even though we had foam toppers put on I still found them very uncomfortable. They smelled fresh though, and the linens were spotless. The air conditioning worked great, you could freeze if you wanted to. We had a room on the first floor with a walkout with 2 chairs and a table and the room was never musty.

The buffet was average and with food often not being hot enough. We had bacon the first 3 mornings, and then no more for the rest of the week. We dined at the Italian restaurant which was nice, but the Asian was the yummiest. The deep fried ice cream for dessert was a treat. The pool snack bar was handy if you felt like grabbing something quick, the pizza is fab and we enjoyed the fries and nachos and cheese as well. I found the drinks to be okay, if you wanted them stronger you could just ask for a double. They even served Malibu Coconut Rum.

The animation team was wonderful, friendly and charming , always willing to take no for an answer if you just wanted to relax instead of getting involved in their activities. The nightly shows were pretty good as well. The majority of staff were very helpful.

All in all it was a great stay, walking distance to town with beautiful scenery along the way was a big plus as well. This resort is a good value for the money you spend.
No prime luxury, but no huge price tag either.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Dear Customer,

We want to thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Azteca for your recent vacation.

Thank you for pointing out the positives comments about your opinion of our services.

On the other hand, we have taken note of your observations. I can assure you that we will consider them to improve our services.

We hope that you afford us the opportunity to serve you again at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Best regards,

North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

This was my seventh trip to Mexico and the very worst Hotel I have encountered. They overbook the hotel and will give your room away. I spoke with the other guests who say some of them had the samey problem and all their rooms smell like yesterdays Tacos. The food all tastes the same. All the cooks are Mexican and they are not known for international cooking. Playa Del Carmen is great, but this is one Hotel to steer away from. The beds are one step above sleeping on the floor.

Dundas, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

Take lots of US $1 for tipping from the minute you get off the plane people are all over you "trying to help". Totally avoid the people at the desks who are giving you a great deal on excursions. Sunwing rep stated these trips are at an excellent price and lots of times they are a no show, so if it sounds to good it probably is. The Azteca is good value for the money. Rooms are very clean, the staff wash every rooms floor, windows, mirrors every day. The grounds are constantly being cleaned. The floor is good for such a place however the a la carte restaurants (Italian, Mayan, Chinese) are all excellent and you get to experience different foods and have someone wait on you if your tired of the buffet. Staff tries very hard to make your stay as pleasant as possible, from engaging you in beach games to the nightly evening shows. The beer is cold, they will make you any drink they can, and they do it with a smile. If your young and want to stay up and party hardy, definately the Viva Mayan. If your more family or older and don't want as much action, then the Azteca. I would recommend the first level for rooms, they all have walk outs to the grounds. The pool bar is open until 6am (for food) and 2am for alchol so if you need to sleep, get a room overlooking the gardens/grounds. We were above the pool, only one night was rowdy, keeping the door closed and air conditioner on drowned out the noise (you need the air due to the humidity). I emailed that I would like a king bed, 2nd floor overlooking pool. Got a king bed, overlooking pool, 3rd floor. The place was packed, people from all over the world. If you wait to demand a king on day of arrival, guess what...it won't be available. They will do their best to please you. My only real complaint is that the bed was rock hard. I've heard this complaint about many of the hotels there. I took 2 aspirins a day for 3 days then I became use to the bed. I can't believe the negative comments, again you get what you pay for. If your paying for a budget holiday, why does it come as a surprise to one if you don't get the presidential suite? I definately reccommend this hotel but don't compare it to the Rui Hotel, if that's what you want, stay there.
Pat & Tom, Dundas, Ontario
Left Feb.17 return Feb. 24, 2010

Saskatchewan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

The good.....
Service was good, no lineups, maid service excellent, close to town.

The not so great........
Should be advertised as French balconies as we were extremely disappointed and would have booked somewhere else.
The food really left something to be desired. I thought it was worse than Cuba!!! And the wine........worst ever!! Thank goodness we were close to PDC as that was our saving grace.
You couldn't play a sport without kids participating which really sucks as what is the point in playing then. Might as well of just been catching & throwing the ball on the beach volleyball court.
Not enough chairs around the pool area. Impossible to get one!
The animation team would not leave you alone when you said no.

This is close to my 20th trip travelling........I'd rate it near the bottom of my list which I never would have expected as all 6 other times I've stayed in Mexico would be near the top.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
VivaWyndhamAzteca, General Director at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, March 11, 2010
Dear Customer,

I really appreciate your review published on Trip Advisor.

We regret to know that we did not fulfill your expectations. Your observations are very important to us, please be sure that they will be considered in order to improve our services and facilities.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

I arrived at the hotel at 3am on the saturday morning and after waiting for a few minutes, someone finally showed up to check us in along with2 other families.
The rooms are VERY SIMPLE!!! Don't expect anything fancy, you will be dissapointed!! I had requested for a king bed, but upon arrival, they had booked me for 2 doubles. When I requested a change, the man told me he could not do anything at the time but to come to the reception the following day. When I did, they advised no kings were avail but I would be able to get the room the following day. By day 2, when I went back, no rooms were again available... so I just gave up! :-(

As for the food, we ate well, the A la carte restaurants were all very good. The main buffet also showed a good variety. Good but very simple....

If you go as a family and prefer staying by the pool, there is really a limited amount of chairs... We mainly always stayed by the beach and never had any problems finding a spot.

The bars are all very well stocked... although no beach bar!! :-(

Finally, the entertainment is so-so, and the shows are a little highscholish.... So we went to 1 1/2 and then gave up...

On the last day, because the bus was not picking us up before 10h30pm, sunwing had advised we would be able to keep our rooms until 5h30 for an extra fee. This had to be arranged with the front desk. After many attempts, they never wanted to guarantee the availability. On the last morning, I was at the reception at 8h30am for them to tell us we had to check out by noon but that a hospitality suite would be available free of charge. I chose to use tis room at 5h30pm. When I showed up at the reception at 5h15, I was told no suite was available and to go take my shower in the gym..... Very Dissapointing!!!

Finally, DO NOT FLY WITH SUNWING!!!! Our departure flight was at 2h15am.... at about 2am, we found out our crew was being given to another flight and that we were to be delayed until 8am. A 15$ voucher would be given to each passenger..... by 8am.... nothing had yet happened and we were left stranded as no one from Sunwing ever showed up to tell us we were still delayed until 11h45..... Only the time on the monitors was changed. Finally by approx 10h50, a crew showed up and we left at 12h35.... 10 hours after our original departure time..... Do note the weather both in Cancun and Montreal was clear and the plane was in perfect condition...... The only problem was the lack of staff to fly us home..... COMPLETELY UNACCCEPTABLE!!!!

Dear Customer,

Thank you for sharing with us your comments on your recent vacation at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

I can assure you that all of our clients’ opinions are very important to us because it is the more reliable source of information to improve our services and facilities.

We apologize for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during your stay.

Again thank you for choosing to stay at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

This hotel is great value for the package price. We had emailed the hotel one week prior to departure asking for a second floor room with king bed and also requested that our room be close to the beach. Our room was #1205, quite large and exactly what we asked for. The bathroom had a separate area with sink and a huge counter. We also had a coffee maker, which we didn't use because the pool bar was so close by and we were there every morning for capucinno. The maid kept the room very clean and restocked the fridge with soda and water every day. She also left towel art every day.

The food at the Azteca was quite good with a great selection. You could always find something to eat and sometimes there were too many options for me. What to choose??? Desserts were yummy, especially the rice pudding. Someone on this forum made a comment about the bacon being rationed. If you asked the server for more, he would give you more. They had theme nights such as Mexican night, Japanese night, etc. My husband and I enjoyed an a la carte meal at the Mayan restaurant Xul-Ha. The starter, a lemony chicken soup, was wonderful and the appetizer and the grouper main course were delicious. A lunch buffet was served at the pool bar every day, but it was mostly hot dogs, fries, pizza etc. There was more variety at the main buffet El Nopal, well worth the walk. I must say, though, that my husband just loved the french fries.

The animation staff were great and worked hard to get the guests to participate in pool aerobics, darts, ping pong tournaments, merengue lessons etc.

If you like to walk, it is 20 mins. into Playa Del Carmen and less than 5 mins. to Plaza Playacar just down the street. I found my favorite vanilla, Molino Real (in a glass bottle) at one of the shops at the plaza.

My husband and I had a wonderful time, which went by too fast, and we would definitely return to the Azteca.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for sharing with us your review about your vacation at our Resort. We are happy to know that your and your husband had the chance to enjoy our services and facilities.

It will be a pleasure to receive you at Viva Wyndham Azteca as soon as you wish.

Viva Wyndham Azteca

Been to Viva Wyndham Azteca? Share your experiences!