My wife and I stayed at the Viva Wyndham Azteca from 2/20/10 through 2/27/10. The hotel is a fairly small facility which is a plus for some people. The grounds are about average for hotels in the area. The hotel staff is very nice, friendly, and accommodating. The only exception was some use of loud profanity (in both Spanish and English) by a couple members of the recreation staff. This hotel does not offer the level of service that other similarly priced hotels in the area provide. There are no waiters or waitresses to serve you at the tables in bar areas. If you are seated at a table, you must get up and go fetch your own drinks.
The rooms are small and sparsely furnished. If you are OK with living out of your suitcase for a week, this should not be a problem. Lighting in the rooms, especially the bathrooms, is poor at best. After day three and two visits from the hotel engineering department, we gave up on use of the air conditioner. This was not a major issue, as the evenings were unusually cool and the room offered a patio door with a full screen.
The food was good, but the hotel offers a very limited variety when compared to other hotels in the area. The Hotel seems to have a strange affinity for hot dogs. This selection could be found at every location, for every meal. The lunch served at the main (beach) bar was the same every day (Hot dogs, hamburgers, and pizza). Again, a little variety and maybe some Mexican favorites would have spiced up this rather bland selection. Guests do have the option to walk five minutes down the way to the Wyndham Maya to use the restaurants and facilities at that location. There is really not much difference between the two however.
Use caution in the pool area. The pool is surrounded by a very beautiful stone tile that offers no traction to wet feet. I saw a number of people slip and spent very little time in this area. It really is a very dangerous situation. The pool is also fairly small for a hotel of this size. The apron area accommodates about 75 sun loungers. Again, not up to par with other properties in the area.
The beach is absolutely beautiful and very wide. There are a number of planned beach activities daily (volleyball, soccer, darts, bocci, and a few others). If you are interested in snorkeling, this area does not provide access to this activity. You can however book a two hour boat trip from the Wyndham Maya to a local reef for $35 USD.
The gym / spa area was probably the worst area of the hotel. The gym offers LifeTime brand fitness equipment which is good quality. The gym itself was dirty. It offered no means of wiping down the equipment befor or after use. The adjacent spa area was unkept. We arrived before our room was ready and were told we could change in the spa area. We found another location. Enough said. The hotel managemrnt would be well advised to put the gym attendant in charge of cleaning the area.
Overall, if you get a fantastic deal at this location, go for it. If you are deciding between competitively priced packages, look elsewhere and avoid being disappointed. Other locations offering competitive packages were the Palladium, Barcelo, and Grand Sirenis a little further down the coast. We have stayed at all of these and they are far superior for the money in all categories.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Be close to everything. White sand beaches. Mayan ruins. Lush jungles. A championship golf course. And exciting nightlife. The Wyndham Azteca All-Inclusive Resort, a stunning resort on the breathtaking Mayan Riviera on the east coast of the Yucatan, has it all. And it's just 45 minutes from Cancun International Airport in Mexico. Explore captivating Mayan ruins. Find your own private seaside cove, or experience the fun in the sun and nightlife of Playa Del Carmen, just two miles away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and Hotels.com so you can book your Viva Wyndham Azteca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viva Wyndham Azteca Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Viva Azteca
- Wyndham Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Del Carmen Viva Azteca
- Playa Del Carmen Wyndham
- Viva Wyndham Azteca Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico