This was our 4th Vacation to PDC and we Traveled here with our 24yr old Son that hadn't been here before. I got a good deal and after reading all the current reviews, thought that we'd give it a try as I wanted to be in the Playacar area for the beach and easy walk to the Ferry and 5th Ave.
Overall the Resort was Very Good with a few exceptions that I will cover.
Room- We were in room #1106, which was a ground floor room close to the Pool and Beach.......A Superior Location! Room was fine, A/C was OK, Maid did a nice job every day, and I left a tip daily. Not sure why so many negatives about re-stocking the Fridge as the Bar was close and you can get what ever you want, anytime you want! There is even a stand with purified water on the way to the Beach to refill anything you have. I agree with previous posters that building 3 is the least desirable as it sits close to the show and lobby area.
Beach- Superior in all ways except there is a constant problem with people "holding lounge chairs" and I saw no effort by Security or anyone else to enforce any rules that prevent this.
Pool Area- Again, Chair Hogs from early morning and many were left for hours. Don't get me wrong, we usually found a chair when we wanted, but the Hotel should address this. There was also a constant problem with people putting there Babies in the Pool with NO WATERPROOF DIAPER, even though it is posted on the rules!
Grounds- Beautiful and was a nice size that we enjoyed!
Food- As been said many times, The food is overall fine with lots of choices, but the Buffet does get old towards the end of a week for us. We did make 3 reservations when we checked in for dinner on M,WE,FRI with no problem, but we like to eat early (6-6:30pm). All were good, with Portofino being our Favorite..........Others were Don Diego and Xul-Ha.
Front Desk, Concierge and Guest Services- No Problems at Front Desk, They were always Helpful and Friendly! I did have a problem the day before we left as I wanted the Concierge to call and verify and confirm our pick-up to the Airport with the Company that I had arranged with (Carm Tours and Transfers) and she referred me to guest services as she said her phone only connected to the Viva Maya........Really???? Anyway, Valentina at Guest Services seemed "put out" and read my reservation and said "It says your confirmed" in which I replied that this email is 3 months old and I wanted to Re-confirm 24 hrs in advance. At that point she dialed the number and handed me the phone! Carm Tours was wonderful, Polite and Happily confirmed. I don't think Valentina knows anything about Customer Service!!!
I had no issues with anyone else at the property! They were all helpful and friendly! We did tip a lot at the bars,etc. and even occasionally at the buffet as many got our drinks and refills. I saw very few others tip, but these people work hard and they appreciated a couple of dollars.
All in all, a nice Vacation at a good deal. I enjoyed this Complex better than the Occidental Playacar, Would I stay here again.........Maybe, but we like to try others and will probably go to an Adults only next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Be close to everything. White sand beaches. Mayan ruins. Lush jungles. A championship golf course. And exciting nightlife. The Wyndham Azteca All-Inclusive Resort, a stunning resort on the breathtaking Mayan Riviera on the east coast of the Yucatan, has it all. And it's just 45 minutes from Cancun International Airport in Mexico. Explore captivating Mayan ruins. Find your own private seaside cove, or experience the fun in the sun and nightlife of Playa Del Carmen, just two miles away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Agoda, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Viva Wyndham Azteca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viva Wyndham Azteca Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Viva Azteca
- Wyndham Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Del Carmen Viva Azteca
- Playa Del Carmen Wyndham
- Viva Wyndham Azteca Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico