“OK.......Here's our take on our recent 7 days here!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Viva Wyndham Azteca

You added Viva Wyndham Azteca to your Saves list
Viva Wyndham Azteca
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo Xaman-Ha, Lote Holetero No. 8, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #69 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
San Jose, California
“OK.......Here's our take on our recent 7 days here!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

This was our 4th Vacation to PDC and we Traveled here with our 24yr old Son that hadn't been here before. I got a good deal and after reading all the current reviews, thought that we'd give it a try as I wanted to be in the Playacar area for the beach and easy walk to the Ferry and 5th Ave.
Overall the Resort was Very Good with a few exceptions that I will cover.
Room- We were in room #1106, which was a ground floor room close to the Pool and Beach.......A Superior Location! Room was fine, A/C was OK, Maid did a nice job every day, and I left a tip daily. Not sure why so many negatives about re-stocking the Fridge as the Bar was close and you can get what ever you want, anytime you want! There is even a stand with purified water on the way to the Beach to refill anything you have. I agree with previous posters that building 3 is the least desirable as it sits close to the show and lobby area.
Beach- Superior in all ways except there is a constant problem with people "holding lounge chairs" and I saw no effort by Security or anyone else to enforce any rules that prevent this.
Pool Area- Again, Chair Hogs from early morning and many were left for hours. Don't get me wrong, we usually found a chair when we wanted, but the Hotel should address this. There was also a constant problem with people putting there Babies in the Pool with NO WATERPROOF DIAPER, even though it is posted on the rules!
Grounds- Beautiful and was a nice size that we enjoyed!
Food- As been said many times, The food is overall fine with lots of choices, but the Buffet does get old towards the end of a week for us. We did make 3 reservations when we checked in for dinner on M,WE,FRI with no problem, but we like to eat early (6-6:30pm). All were good, with Portofino being our Favorite..........Others were Don Diego and Xul-Ha.
Front Desk, Concierge and Guest Services- No Problems at Front Desk, They were always Helpful and Friendly! I did have a problem the day before we left as I wanted the Concierge to call and verify and confirm our pick-up to the Airport with the Company that I had arranged with (Carm Tours and Transfers) and she referred me to guest services as she said her phone only connected to the Viva Maya........Really???? Anyway, Valentina at Guest Services seemed "put out" and read my reservation and said "It says your confirmed" in which I replied that this email is 3 months old and I wanted to Re-confirm 24 hrs in advance. At that point she dialed the number and handed me the phone! Carm Tours was wonderful, Polite and Happily confirmed. I don't think Valentina knows anything about Customer Service!!!
I had no issues with anyone else at the property! They were all helpful and friendly! We did tip a lot at the bars,etc. and even occasionally at the buffet as many got our drinks and refills. I saw very few others tip, but these people work hard and they appreciated a couple of dollars.
All in all, a nice Vacation at a good deal. I enjoyed this Complex better than the Occidental Playacar, Would I stay here again.........Maybe, but we like to try others and will probably go to an Adults only next time.

Room Tip: Ground Floor in Building #1 or #2 by the pool!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
VivaWyndhamAzteca, Director General at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Dear customer,

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities. Both your pros and cons comments have been forwarded to the responsible managers, and we assure you that we will bear them in mind.

Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Viva Wyndham Azteca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

We stayed at the Viva Wyndham Azteca last week for a bachelorette party and we were looking for something reasonably priced so we went with this place. We liked that it was in Playa Del Carmen, close to the shopping and night life. The wait staff at that restaurants and buffets were great. They were all very courteous and helpful.
Our hotel room was okay. Our air conditioning barely worked and it caused a leak in our room from the vents. When I called the front desk, they sent maintenance guy to come fix it. He was in our room for almost an hour and we could not shower or get ready for bed. When he was finally done, he said it should be fixed. I asked the front desk for a different room and he said there wasn't any available and all they could do is hope the AC/Leak was fixed and he'll send someone with towels to come put down on our floor. The next day the air was still not very cold. Our room was muggy and you could tell the air wasn't working. I turned down the temp to help cool down the room. When we got back from shopping in Playa, it was leaking again. And we had to sit in the room for another hour so they could fix it. Once again they said it was fixed. That night when I got back I called the front desk and told them our air was not working an demanded another room. Still they insisted it was and sent someone to check on it. The maintenance guy looked at it and said give it 15 minutes and the temp should go down. Instead it went from 24 degrees to 25 degrees. I called the front desk AGAIN and he said they were very booked and he will try his best to find another room. After about 2 hours, they finally got us another room....4 doors down! WTH? All of sudden they had room available? No one checks out in the middle of the night. I am frustrated with the way they handled the situation and don't feel they valued us as a guest.
The food in the buffet was okay as expected. I'm surprised that they didn't have any air conditioning or better fans in the buffet. It was uncomfortable eating when it was so hot out. We also ate at the Italian resturant IL Paco-that was delicious. Alejandro was an awesome waiter. We ate at Bamboo as well. The food there was good as well and Gregorio was also a great waiter.
The beach was perfect. I've stayed at other places where the sand was rocky and you couldn't walk on it, but this beach was nice and soft. There were plenty of chairs on the beach to lay out on.
We went to the sister resort-Viva Wyndham Maya. We had their buffet and it was okay. It was nice that they had crab there (not sure why they didn't at ours). We went to the discotech. That was lame. The music was bad. The DJ wouldn't take our requests. It was hot in there and they claimed they were turning on the AC multiple times. We went there one night and that was enough.
The lobby bar at the Aztec was great. We always got our drinks timely and the staff were friendly.
The free Wifi at the hotel sucked. It only worked in the lobby area and you could only use it to check facebook and the signal was very weak.
The 'minibar' fridge was not a mini bar. There was 4 drinks in there. one water bottle, one coke, one sprite and a canada dry. House keeping didn't even refill it daily. I was expecting at least some beer.
The safe cost $2/day. I don't understand why they have to charge for this.
All in all, I would not stay at this resort again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
VivaWyndhamAzteca, Director General at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear customer,

We appreciate the time you dedicated to write your remarks about your stay at the Riviera Maya. Your review will assist us in our commitment to improve in all aspects of our operations.

We regret not having been able to fulfill your expectations.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve you at our resort.

High Level, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

We stayed here for 7 days. It is not the place to stay in Mexico!There are tons of other places to stay that are way better. Save your money! The rooms are not nice, mini bar is not stocked, seems like no big deal but it is. No pool bar. It felt like the staff were there for themselves ... just having a party. No interaction and when there was they always spoke in other languages, not Spanish or English. They did NOT go out of there way for any of us there! There were 5 of us. Activities weren't very abundant, the announcers were terrible, no idea what they were saying! The buffet got tiring fast and three out of five got sick. However, the beach was beautiful.... So get a hotel up the beach a little ways!! We actually visited the sister resort Maya and that was WAY better!! They were friendly and nicer and had our drinks ready when we went to the bar! And the shows are much better at they maya. The Azteca the staff would just dance... Just dance, every night... With each other haha like no one was even in the audience. An employee stole a cell phone and the manager did nothing! Save your money and go somewhere else! You'll regret booking here.

Stayed April 2014
VivaWyndhamAzteca, Director General at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear customer,

Please accept a sincere apology for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during your recent stay in the Mayan Riviera.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly in order to follow up on your concerns.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve you at our resort and we remain at your entire disposal.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

First time in Riviera Maya..and loved it! My wife and I stayed at the Azteca from April 27-May 4. We chose a smaller resort and did not regret it. We were impressed with the cleanliness, service and the variety of food available. We had "à la carte" at the Italian(great penne arrabbiata) and Mexican(loved it). The buffet was excellent all the time.The waiters were very attentive and polite (never expecting tips) but please do tip, they deserve and appreciate it. . As for location and beach...can't ask for better. It was a 25 minute walk one way to 5th and the same the other way to the end of the resorts, just a perfect stretch of beach. Rooms were super clean and comfortable. Only minor complaint is the low shower water pressure. We did the Coba/Mayan excursion, which is a must to learn about the Mayans. All and all, a great vacation. Definitely go back and highly recommend it to others.

Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your wife at Viva Wyndham Azteca during your recent vacations.

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our services, facilities and convenient location.

Thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Resorts for your stay and we look forward to offering you a second unforgettable holiday at one of our properties in Mexico, The Bahamas or the Dominican Republic.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the resort from May 1-4, 2014. We stayed in Room 1101, which is billed as a “honeymoon” suite and is the resort’s most expensive room on the property. Our nephew and his friend stayed in Room 1112. Our stay was less than satisfactory for a number of reasons, but first the few positives.

The food is exceptional compared to other all-inclusive resorts at the four-star level. Jorge and Javier served us at the Bamboo and Il Palco restaurants on two separate nights and took a genuine interest in our experience. Be prepared to scan the entire menu (front and back) and place your order all at once (appetizer, soup/salad, main course and dessert). There are three restaurants, a buffet and snack bar at the resort. Guests at the Viva Wyndham Azteca have privileges at its sister resort, the Viva Wyndham Maya, but we never went there as it is separated by the Allegro Playacar and not right next door as we were led to believe. There are four additional restaurants at the Viva Wyndham Maya but do not expect to visit many of them unless you’re staying at the resort for a very long time. This is because every restaurant (excluding the buffet and snack bar) require mandatory reservations and there is an unpublished memo at the front counter of each resort that the staff uses as standard operating procedure that says if you stay X number of nights, you can only get X number of reservations. I seem to recall you need to stay 5-7 nights to get three restaurant visits. Even though we had two rooms, we were only permitted to book two reservations during our four day, three night stay … keep in mind one of our rooms was the most expensive room on the resort … but that doesn’t matter! I know as Angel at the front counter was arrogant and read me the policy after Valentina refused to accommodate us at a restaurant on our first night stating that every location on both resorts were booked solid that Thursday night.

The beach is clean and there is a private lounge area with guest services (drinks) for those who have VIP service (our room did but it was never explained to us and we stumbled across it by chance and still weren’t sure we were allowed to use it). If there were any free use of non-motorized water sports, it was news to us. And the advertisement of there being a “host of activities to keep families of all ages entertained, from tennis and beach volleyball, kayaking and bike riding” was a joke.

The pool is rather small and there is only one with a metal grate barricade for the kids to be cordoned off. There are activities hosted by staff but good luck understanding the announcer. And the staff is rather busy trying to sell you tickets to the Coco Bongo Playa Show & Disco. We have stayed in about 30 all-inclusive resorts and this ranks on the low end for staff trying to get you involved in any activities with the exception of their “dance lessons” that are no more than a disguise for the staff to take advantage of slapping the ladies on their butts.

Now onto our “honeymoon” suite: They advertise “incredible guest rooms designed to be a memorable escape” … well, let me tell you about Room 1101. It was clean but everything about it was dated, including the king-sized bed. There is no bar soap and instead there are soap dispensers.

We actually had a headboard unlike our nephew in Room 1112, which had tile on the wall in a design to make it look like the outline of a headboard. I would have preferred that because every move you made on the bed created a loud squeak as if you were having wild sex.

We could never get our room cool but that wasn’t the case in Room 1112.

They advertised that “each room features a private balcony with either Spectacular Ocean or garden view.” Our room had a fully-obstructed view of the ocean and instead overlooked the grass huts leading to the beach. Our balcony was a concrete slab with two plastic chairs and a plastic table. Room 1112 had a view of the poolside snack bar.

Wyndham advertises “beach-style furnishing and modern amenities like a 32-inch flat screen TV, plush bathrobes, mini bar and a coffee and tea maker” and that their “honeymoon suites are perfect for special occasions, and feature a spacious sitting area and whirlpool tub for two.” So yes, we did have a small 32-inch flat screen TV, bathrobes minus the plushness, a mini bar disguised as a leaking refrigerator. The “spacious sitting area” was nothing more than a couch bed that you had to put pillows down to sit on because it was so uncomfortable and dated. And I never found the coffee and tea maker.

And then there was the whirlpool tub for two. We used it … once! That’s because the water was yellow and the foam bath created by the jets had a yellow residue and then the tub wouldn’t drain so we left it overnight to drain, only to be rewarded with a bunch of dirt left behind. Don’t believe me? Check out the photos!

There is a safety deposit box in each room, but expect to pay $2USD per night if you intend to keep your valuables safe. And if you don’t use it, know the resort is not responsible for theft. Huh?

And remember the “mini bar” … the “honeymoon” suite is supposed to come with “a welcome package in the refrigerator” on arrival day. Our "mini bar" had a Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sprite, Club Soda and bottle of water in it … not to mention it only got restocked once in four days. Did I miss something?!?

And the best part about Room 1101? Whenever someone showered above, it drained right through our room’s plumbing and was rather noticeable. And expect free use of the resort’s pets … uh, er, I mean mosquitos that are in the room.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
VivaWyndhamAzteca, Director General at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear customer,

We appreciate the time you dedicated to write your remarks about your vacation. All of your comments have been forwarded to the corresponding departments and corrective measures have been applied where necessary in order to avoid similar incidents from reoccurring.

It is our priority to satisfy all of our clients and we can assure you that we work every day with great efforts to optimize our services.

We remain at your disposal.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

This was our first time in Mexico, we were told that a 4 star resort in Mexico is not the same as a 4 star in the states...true statement. The resort itself is nice, nothing fabulous. The staff were not very friendly, they were often hard to communicate with and we didn't feel like they went out of their way to make us feel like guests. The room was nice, we had the couples retreat, so we were beachfront. They only stocked our fridge twice in 6 days, so not really sure if it was supposed to happen daily and we got ripped off or if housekeeping was just being nice, the whole mini fridge thing was confusing. The AC actually shut itself off around 1am every night, must be some master setting, and it would kick back on after a little bit, but we would get hot in the middle if the night every night...weird! Despite the review on Expedia indicating we would have a fully furnished balcony, we did not. If you go, ask for room 2300, 2200 or 2100, those would all be far corner suites with the best views and actual balconies. Our room was 2304 and there was NO balcony, just a mini terrace you could stand on, prob about 1.5 feet deep. Lame! However, their beach was amazing! Agree with others, never had to fight for and/ or get up at dawn to save a chair, there were always chairs no matter what time of day we went to the beach. You can be topless at the beach, so FYI to families traveling who are not used to the more "European beach experience." The food was nothing impressive, at all. Our best experience was eating at the Bamboo (Asian cuisine), best tasting food of the whole trip and best service! They only served FRESH pineapple at breakfast, so we always stocked up. There is NO beach side or pool side drink service, every time you want something you have to go get it yourself. We noticed while hanging out at the Viva Maya, that the staff brought around trays of fresh fruit to beach loungers, that would have been a nice service to have at the Azteca, as well. We did a couples massage at the MAYA Renova Spa, the massage was nice, the room was cramped with the two of us (apparently they aren't actually equipped to host couple massages), but it was nice to use the hot tub and private outdoor lounging area afterwards (this is only a feature at the Maya, not the Azteca). Overall, this is a great place to stay on a budget, as long as you don't have high expectations for food quality. We would probably try and stay somewhere else in the Playacar private subdivision again, just not the Azteca. Good first time Mexico all-inclusive experience though!

Room Tip: Couples retreat is worth the few extra bucks. Request room 2300, 2200, or 2100 if possible!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Azteca for your vacation. The opinions of our guests are of the utmost importance to us and our main source of information to improve our facilities and service and therefore they will be taken into account.

We truly appreciate you choosing Mexico and especially our resort for your vacation. We are happy to hear that your first visit to this region was positive.

Thank you for your preference and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards,

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I am at the resort now. First of four days. I am in the honeymoon suite that has nothing more than a view I of grass covered pavilions and beach chairs and is quite the trek to the beach. I got checked in by Angel and got to my room to find he never checked to make sure room keys were in the packet he handed me. Then onto Valentina for dinner reservations, well, we have to eat at the buffet tonight because an unpublished memo says you cannot get more than two dinner reservations for a three night, four day stay ... Even if you are in the highest cost room of the resort as we are ... The honeymoon suite. The refrigerator in the room is leaking. So not a great start to our stay. And when I asked to speak to a manager, I was told to call 44 or 800-801 on the phone. I did and they told me the manager us off site until 3 pm. I went back to Angel and he said the same thing ... So why did he tell me to call?!?

Room Tip: Don't book a honeymoon suite unless they have on on the second flood with a view of the ocean! N...
Dear guest,

Thank you for the review regarding your recent stay at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

We are sorry your experience did not meet your expectations. Your comments will help us evaluate our amenities and services.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity of regaining your trust the next time you visit the Riviera Maya.

Viva Wyndham Azteca

Been to Viva Wyndham Azteca? Share your experiences!