“Hardly a Paradise, but it was a good value; I think.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Viva Wyndham Azteca

You added Viva Wyndham Azteca to your Saves list
Viva Wyndham Azteca
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo Xaman-Ha, Lote Holetero No. 8, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #66 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Youngstown, Ohio
“Hardly a Paradise, but it was a good value; I think.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Just returned (8/30) from 4 days at Azteca. We prefer Playacar since it's so close to 5th.
As already pointed out, the staff is great. The grounds are well kept. Nice beach, but the lounge chairs are too close together. I'm sure they could do with less loungers in general. SMALL pool. Between the pool, and the beach, it's impossible for any privacy.
The resort itself might as well have been located in Europe; talk about catering to Europeans.
Had more than my fill of Italians bad-mouthing us "sloppy" Americans.
Food was ok, to good. Lacked some variety, but otherwise fine. One Italian visitor must have really enjoyed the pastries at breakfast. I don't think she could have stuffed anymore in her beach bag!
Renovations and the shut down process began early in the week. Constant construction, as well as deconstruction, of rooms = ALL DAY long. So, note to Wyndham; that's disruptive to your guests. But I'm sure that's why it was cheap.
Azteca has a long way to go to compete with the big boys. Good news is the staff is in place; try not to screw that part up Wyndham.
Between glorifying the Europeans, and the smallness/lack of privacy at the resort, I wouldn't even consider going back.
One more note to the Europeans; It may not be required, but maybe in the future think about giving just one of the servers a tip. You make for the most demanding guests I've ever seen, yet I never witnessed one of you give a tip to any of the staff = Disgraceful!

Room Tip: 3 different times I was short-changed during the trip, where I had to question my change. Once by a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Polish first
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed here for a couple of weeks and we were a lot of people of various ages. Though we've been said that mexico in august is not the best we had a perfect weather during the whole time.

ACCOMODATION & FACILITY:
The hotel is well made, in good shape and perfect for families, friends or couples (also, it's scheduled a renovation for sept-oct 2012). Rooms are cleaned and wide, though the humidity inside them is really high in august. The lobby staff, especially the head of the lobby Elisa Gusmaroli is very helpful with every kind of request.

RESTAURANTS, BAR & ALL INCLUSIVE:
The all inclusive formula is 100% effective in this resort, you can eat & drink 24/7 at the snack bar in the pool and in the other bar when it's open.
The buffet is good but it's really warm and humid to have a meal there especially at night when you have dinner (it'd be a good idea to provide air conditioning to the buffet restaurant).
Among the other 3 restaurant (plus the ones at Maya resort that you can access freely) "il Palco" is the best (italian food).

EXCURSIONS, NIGHTLIFE etc:
Unlike being on a island in the middle of the carribean sea, being at this resort means that you have the possibility to go out of the hotel and find a whole world to explore. On daytime there are lots of excursions to do (Tulum, Playa paraiso, Akumel, Chichen Itza, Isla mujeres etc) on night time with just 70pesos (around 5 euros) you can reach an entire street (12nte) made of just clubs and bars.

BEACH & POOL
The beach is wonderful with palms, beds, beachvolley, beach-soccer etc. The sand is never hot and you can walk on it easily. The sea is very good but sometimes after a storm can be more dark.
Pool is nice either for kids and adults.

ACTIVITY, ANIMATION, SPORT
What makes the difference between this hotel and others is the animation. I've been to lots of resorts (club med style) with huge animation teams and I've to admit that the animation team directed by the italian Dodo is really comparable to bigger animation teams as club med.

Lauren, Eva and Piero are 3 of the best animators I've ever met. Among all the qualities that they have, the main quality is that they are very professional! they are also full of energy, smiling all day long and so good with every person of every age though they work a lot during day & night and they have to face guests of various coltures and nationality (some of them can be very fussy). The shows at night are really high quality shows with all the dances etc.
Best show ever is the lion king (joint with the Bravo team), puts broadway's show to shame!
The last thing to say about the animation is the Bravo animation team. Bravo is an italian tour operator that puts his animator in the resorts where they've made a partnership. The aim of the Bravo animation is to face and entertain the most demanding italian guests recognizable for the different bracelet as opposed to the Viva one.
The Bravo animation team headed by Fabio is really really good but the fact of having two different animation teams not 100% integrated (maybe just for business related reasons) it's a shame it makes people confused especially at nightshows where there are 2 different kid-shows, 2 different shows and people have to choose between the 2 of them. I'm italian and I can say the Viva Shows can be integrated very well with Bravo ones, even because very few of them are spoken so there won't be any language comprehension problem.

I'd go back again tomorrow!

Room Tip: Rooms around the pool on the first level are the best
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is my fourth time at the Viva Azteca and it was one of the best. This time I traveled with two friends who have never been before and both said it was the best vacation they have had.
The reason is the Animacion Staff. They are all wonderful and work so hard. They included us in all the activities. A big shout out to Lauren, Piero, Eva and Fernando who were absolutely terrific. Not only do they work all day on the beach and around the pool they are in the shows at night and then the dance party afterwards. Very long days. I can't say enough about the whole team.
My only concern is that there is another company in the hotel, Villagi Bravo which is an Italian firm with their own Animacion team. This team was not as friendly as the Viva team with the exception of Vincenzo and Eros. They were the only ones who seemed to say hello to any non Italians. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future. Will they need two teams. I don't think so.. but that is only my opinion.
I also like that the hotel is small and easy to get around. The food is alright, there is always something you can find to eat. We ate in the Italian restaurant one night and that was very nice.

The rooms are kept clean and the cleaning staff is friendly.

The beach is beautiful with lots of loungers and palm trees to get out of the sun.

I will definetly go back to this hotel again as it is close enough to town but far enough away that it isn't crazy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
VivaDominicusBeach, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your friends at Viva Wyndham Azteca during your recent vacations.

It is a pleasure to know that you were able to enjoy our services and facilities. Our customer's satisfaction is our constant goal. Knowing we reached this goal in your recent stay is very rewarding for all our hard working staff members and it will reinforce their commitment to provide quality service to all of our guests.

We look forward to your return visit and again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Kind regards,

switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

This was our second stay at the azteca, we stayed for two weeks in july 2012, we traveled with virgin, and the rep was fantastic. What makes this hotel so great is the entertaiment team for the second year running they were fantastic, so much to do all day they work very hard and always have a smile, my daughter fell in love with Lauren and was very happy to see pierlugi again who she was very fond of last year. The hotel room we were in this year did need an update but i understand the hotel is having a big fix up before christmas time. The beach is just beautiful and plenty of sun beds, We never had a problem with the food and once agin no tummy troubles. The staff were all nice afriendly, The only downside i can list that was different to last year is you have to pay for a safe in your room, last year this was free. The fridge was only filled with 1 bottle of water, coke, soda and seven up and never replaced for the two weeks, where as last year it was replaced every day, I wasnt too impressed with this as for an all inclusive i think water should be left there every day for teeth brushing. The rooms were nice and clean. check out was a very lenthly processe we waited for a long time to be seen i dont think there was enough staff on the desk and a lot of people waiting to check in and out. my husband and daughter used the diving centre attatched to the hotel and found this very good. I would be very happy to visit again

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

The check-in process went smooth but no greeting drink. The resort is small only with only one pool. Rooms are out dated with tiny balcony. A/C was not very cold. The staff is extremely friendly. The food is very subjective as everyone taste is different but I believe you will find something to satisfy you. We stayed 3 nights, nothing was terrible but it was not the best either. The beach here is excellent, being calm and beautiful. This resort caters to mostly Europeans. The staff members said that the resort will begin renovations in Sept, so hopefully everything will get better

Dear customer,

Thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Azteca as destination for your vacation.

We appreciate the time dedicated to write your opinion about your stay at our resort. We assure you that your feedback will be considered in order to ameliorate our services.

Please do not forget that Viva Wyndham Azteca will be pleased to welcome you back.

Best regards,

Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I spent my one week vacation at Viva Azteca with a very close friend. We enjoyed our stay very much. The staff were awesome, food was great and the beach was beautiful. They always have something going on in the swimming pool area or the beach so you are never bored. Entertainment staff will walk around to gather guests for activities such as volleyball, bingo, aqua gym, dance lessons, etc.
We really enjoyed their food as well. Each night they had different themes for dinner but the snack bar, breakfast and lunch were pretty similar every day.
There were lots and families with kids at the resort.
Check-out is at noon but they let you use their facilities and everything. Our flight was in the evening on our last day but we still spent all day at the beach and ate there and then showered at the gym right before we left for the airport.
The resort is located close to town (walking distance) with lots of stores and restaurants.
The beach is shared with other resorts so it can get a bit busy...also not really great for snorkeling or anything unless you take the ferry to Cozumel island or drive somewhere. They also have free catamaran tours and free windsurfing lesson. The Viva Maya resort is 4 resorts down the street and you can use the facilities there too.
There was free wi-fi at the lobby and the pool but it was not super reliable.
The walls are a bit thin so you can hear people if they are talking loudly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you at Viva Wyndham Azteca.
We are glad to know that you had the chance to enjoy your vacation at our resort.

It is a pleasure to know that our services and facilities met with your expectations.

Again thank you for recommending Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Best regards,

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We, two adults and a teenage boy, just came back from a week long vacation at Viva Wyndham Azteca. I loved everything about the hotel but beach. I love long clean beaches with some corals for snorkeling which I love but the beach at Viva was narrow and deep so if you want to be under a palapa, it's far away from the water and the beach strip that belongs to the hotel was small. There was some trash and seaweeds in the water, I guess because this location is pretty close to Playa del Carmen or maybe because of all the cruise ships going to Cozumel which is directly across. I've been to four different hotels in the Riviera Maya and this beach was the worst although the sand is white and the water is blue. The hotel itself was wonderful, impeccably clean with spacious rooms and the best service ever. The food wasn't the best nor was it the worst for all-inclusive. The best food was at Bamboo (salmon was delicious) and at Don Diego which in our opinion was the best restaurant of all four we visited. We had no trouble reserving our three a la carte restaurants. I asked the girl who makes reservations and she advised me to come 5 minutes before 3 p.m. the day I wanted another reservation and if they had a cancellation it was no problem getting an additional reservation. The Mayan restaurant was a very interesting experience with tropical insects flying all over and a huge Dragon bug landing on our neighbor's table but the food was so-so.
The set up of the hotel was good although there were 4-6 oceanfront rooms only and you couldn't see the beach from the pool which by the way was too small but we came there for the beach. The drinks were great if you knew what to ask for. They have brand name liquor but you have to ask for it specifically. The best of all were the staff! Nobody would walk by without saying something nice to you, always with a smile. All our requests, such as change of rooms (we didn't like our first room because of the connecting door to the other room, you could hear your neighbors) or our old mattress which was replaced immediately. Our special thanks are going to the housekeepers who did a splendid job cleaning our room and making very cute towel animals!
We just loved the diversity of guests at the hotel, we met very nice people from all over Europe and Canada although there were very few Americans. The animacion team was excellent with never ending activities throughout the day and pretty good shows at night. All in all, we had a great time and would go to this hotel again in the future if the price were right.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Viva Wyndham Azteca? Share your experiences!