Just returned (8/30) from 4 days at Azteca. We prefer Playacar since it's so close to 5th.
As already pointed out, the staff is great. The grounds are well kept. Nice beach, but the lounge chairs are too close together. I'm sure they could do with less loungers in general. SMALL pool. Between the pool, and the beach, it's impossible for any privacy.
The resort itself might as well have been located in Europe; talk about catering to Europeans.
Had more than my fill of Italians bad-mouthing us "sloppy" Americans.
Food was ok, to good. Lacked some variety, but otherwise fine. One Italian visitor must have really enjoyed the pastries at breakfast. I don't think she could have stuffed anymore in her beach bag!
Renovations and the shut down process began early in the week. Constant construction, as well as deconstruction, of rooms = ALL DAY long. So, note to Wyndham; that's disruptive to your guests. But I'm sure that's why it was cheap.
Azteca has a long way to go to compete with the big boys. Good news is the staff is in place; try not to screw that part up Wyndham.
Between glorifying the Europeans, and the smallness/lack of privacy at the resort, I wouldn't even consider going back.
One more note to the Europeans; It may not be required, but maybe in the future think about giving just one of the servers a tip. You make for the most demanding guests I've ever seen, yet I never witnessed one of you give a tip to any of the staff = Disgraceful!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Be close to everything. White sand beaches. Mayan ruins. Lush jungles. A championship golf course. And exciting nightlife. The Wyndham Azteca All-Inclusive Resort, a stunning resort on the breathtaking Mayan Riviera on the east coast of the Yucatan, has it all. And it's just 45 minutes from Cancun International Airport in Mexico. Explore captivating Mayan ruins. Find your own private seaside cove, or experience the fun in the sun and nightlife of Playa Del Carmen, just two miles away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and Hotels.com so you can book your Viva Wyndham Azteca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viva Wyndham Azteca Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Viva Azteca
- Wyndham Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Del Carmen Viva Azteca
- Playa Del Carmen Wyndham
- Viva Wyndham Azteca Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico