“Great location & excellent staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Viva Wyndham Maya

You added Viva Wyndham Maya to your Saves list
Viva Wyndham Maya
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo Xaman-Ha, Mza. Lote Holetero 5 | Playacar, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #87 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
CA
“Great location & excellent staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This resort is a little hard to find especially if you are driving in from the Cancun airport at night & can't see any of the signs marking the location. But after getting to the hotel, the check in went very smoothly & the staff was very accommodating. No elevators so beware if you have problems with stairs--no problem here. Just ask for a room on ground level. Several specialty restaurants which were all EXCELLENT. No shortage of alcohol & the amount of food was plentiful. Staff in all areas of the hotel were extremely nice & helpful. The beach is great-you can walk to the ferry station in Playa del Carmen to go to Cozumel with no problems. Probably about 2-3 miles total in beach for either direction.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your valuable feedback about the stay you had at our property.

It is really rewarding to read your positive comments and we are glad to know that your stay at Viva Wyndham Maya was enjoyable.

Thank you for choosing our resort and for recommending us on TripAdvisor.

Viva Wyndham Maya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The resort was beautiful! Staff was great. Everyone was very nice and attentive. There were no language barriers. Most of the staff speak multiple languages fluently. The only thing is that there are four restaurants that you need to make a reservation for but can only make one reservation for every four days you are there, otherwise it's the buffet every other night. Buffet is good, but trying the different restaurants would have been nice.

Another thing that i agree with other reviews is that it is very slippery around the pool area when not walking on the mats. I almost fell numerous times. They are constantly wiping it down but there's always a wet spot to look out for.

Other than dining and slippery grounds near the pool area it is a wonderful place to go. Everyone is so nice and it is such beautiful area. I would recommend going and would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear customer,

Thank you for publishing your positive review on TripAdvisor.

Our continuous commitment is to provide quality service to all off our guests. Therefore it is very rewarding receiving your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at our property. Please be sure that your comments will be taken into consideration as they will assist us to continue improving.

Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at Viva Wyndham Maya.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying that i am an avid traveler and have been to hawaii twice, thailand, the island of capri in italy, and the riveria maya is the where i get the best bang for my buck, has the best beaches, the friendliest people, and u cant beat the all inclusive (we never had to carry money). I will say the sun here is the strongest I've ever experienced, so bring lots of sunscreen! With the exception of the slight lingering sewer odor in the bathroom, everything was excellent and better than expected. Even my husband (who hates to travel and thinks its a waste of money) loved it here and we are planning another trip to Viva Maya this May!
This was my third visit to the Mayan Riviera, second time to this resort. The other time was at the grand palladium (more expensive, huge resort, rocky beach with lots of seaweed). I definitely prefer this smaller resort over the big ones. Short walk from room to beach (and we were in the very back of the resort by the adult pool). Shows at night were very entertaining, especially the Madonna show (Saturday night).
Food was great! I tipped the waiters there just as if I were in a regular paying restaurant (so deserve it and worth it).
Staff was super friendly, worked day and night everyday, but seemed like they wanted to be there, worked their butts off and all with a smile on their face. Please treat them well they earn it!!
Love Viva Maya highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear guest,

We highly appreciate the fact that you took your precious time to write a review regarding your stay at the Viva Wyndham Maya.

Your special mention of the staff that enhanced the quality of your trip is greatly appreciated. We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests. Reviews like yours serve to motivate us even more.

We look forward to your return visit in May and again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Viva Wyndham Maya.

East Grand Forks, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We enjoyed our time at the Viva Wyndham Maya very much and would always consider returning to this very well run resort! To be honest I didn’t know what to expect coming to this resort. The reviews were all over the board good, bad, and everything in between. My goal was to have a good time in spite of all the negatives that had been said. We had a great time!

Arrival
We arrived on a Thursday late afternoon and were checked in promptly. My first impressions of the front desk staff was that they were stressed out and there was a slight communication barrier, there were 3 couples in our group and while we requested a 1st floor room for the two elderly single ladies traveling together, the rest of us requested a higher floor. Angel (pronounced on hill) said all they had left were first floor rooms and we should at least see them as there was nothing else available. I talked with him a little bit more about getting something higher, that a first floor room was not what we wanted. He said” just see the room and if you don’t like it come back and he will move us to something else tomorrow”. So we did, our rooms had a slight sewer odor to them but were really clean. The toilets gurgled and belched we were a little concerned about this. After we got settled I went and talked to Angel again and said I didn’t like the room and that it had an odor. He looked in his book and said if we came back Saturday at noon the resort wouldn’t be so busy and he would give us a great room. We thought this was acceptable and thanked him. Saturday noon we moved into a third floor room with a partial ocean view. Angel was a man of his word and really made our trip. I know the desk staff has been getting bad reviews lately but in my opinion other than a couple of communication issues they were top notch and always did their best to address our needs

Rooms
Though simple they were always clean, shower had great pressure, Beds were softer than I expected which was a pleasant suprise, tv had about 30 stations with about a quarter of them based out of the US. The only problem we ever had was getting a small wash cloth, the communication barrier was tough here, finally after they brought the right size i left a note on top of them simply saying " dos mas" (two more) we never went without again.
The only other problem was the temp of both rooms I had, I could not control the temp other than to turn it on or off, our room was 60 degrees day or night, i had to open the sliding door at night to warm it up. I know the resort stresses being green, this would be a great place to spend money to actually be green, decent thermostats can save lots of money! i would of gladly turned my temp up to at least 68 -70 degrees
We received 4 reservations for the ala-cart restaurants which were Mexican, Mediterranean and Italian we also could of ate at the other resort but chose to stay where we were. At each place you ordered an appetizer, soup or salad, a main course and a desert.
Our favorite was the Mediterranean, we ate there twice. Food came out hot and well prepared. Gabriel our server was super attentive to our needs.
The second favorite was the Italian. The lasagna was delicious as well as everything else that came with it.
A close third was the Mexican. The appetizers and the tacos were so plentiful that by the time the main course was there I was so full I could hardly eat it! The tequila that they served after was great too!!! They had 3 types and were infused with mango, pineapple and coconut.

The snack bar was located next to the beach bar. For breakfast, they served made to order omelets or fried eggs. There were also pancakes, pastry’s and other breakfast fare in the mornings. They served link style sausages and cut up hotdogs as breakfast meat that I found always cold and couldn’t eat. There were also several types of breads, and a toaster as well as peanut butter and jellies, syrup’s and other toppings for toast or pancakes. There was always fresh fruits and yogurts.
We ate breakfast here every morning while overlooking the beach. If you like coffee, espresso or cappuccino they pressed fresh ground coffee behind the bar. While we had coffee at Starbucks once we found this coffee as good if not better.

While lunch at the snack bar was good we found it very repetitious after 10 days you can only eat pizza, hotdogs, burgers, nachos so long until you get tired of it.

The main restaurant is located above the front desk and they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. This is where most of your meals will be taken. It is very clean and plenty of seating, they have a small salad bar with a few dressing choices, two hot bars where they have the usual hotdogs hamburgers, taco type stuff, then another one where they have the meat of the day one day it was roast pork, one day it was turkey and stuffing etc. There was another bar that always had some type of potatoes, meat, fish, rice and a hot vegetable plus they had a made to order pasta bar. The desert bar was always full of interesting choices with different kinds of cakes, pies, bars etc Most of the time I found the food to be very good! Only one night did I have a hard time finding something I liked.
Staff,
I’m not sure if I have ever seen a harder working staff in my life, everyone from the grounds keepers to the maids, bartenders, to the waiters, kitchen staff to the animation staff every one works their butts off!!! Please tip these folks. They work so hard to make your stay fantastic and I can guarantee that if you have a beef with the hotel, it’s not because of the work ethic of the staff!
Many thanks to Azuncena our hard working beautiful beach waitress, Thomas and Francisco our day bartenders, Juan, the night bartender who whenever he seen me, had a margarita on the rocks waiting or had them sent to the table before I was finished with the one I was drinking. Luco who tried to get us drunk on shots, Carlos the coffee guy, Edwar one of our favorite waiters! and so many more that I can’t remember. All went about there jobs with no complaints and with a big smile!
Bar
There was a lobby bar and a beach bar. Our favorite was the beach bar but we had drinks at both. Drinks were always really good and they would make them with as little or as much spirits that you would care to have. They served Captain Morgan, Bacardi rums as well as a lot of other name brand sprits like Absolute vodka. The thing I was most disappointed about was the tequila choices, they served Jose Quervo and Eljimador as well as Anos they all do the job and are good for mixed drinks but it would have been nice to have at least one really good sipping tequila. I wasn’t expecting Don Julio but perhaps something a little better than Anos. The bartenders were very knowledgeable and made very good drinks.
Beach
We walked the beach daily and Viva Maya was by far the best beach in the Playacar area it was the closest to the water, it was wide enough to spread out and not feel crowded. There were lots of beach chairs and shade if you wanted it. We never had to look for an empty chair, there always something available. There was a life guard on duty. The swim area was sandy. The beach sand was nice and clean.

The Grounds were spectacular beautiful flowers and hedges, green grass nothing out of place, no trash blowing around, for an older resort it was very well kept.

Nightly entertainment was pretty good, the staff work very hard to get the patrons to become involved with the shows and other activities around the resort, like Spanish, or bocce ball on the beach, or dancing, morning yoga or even Zumba fitness. If holding down a Beach chair becomes an Olympic sport I will win Gold!
Pools
It seemed like there was plenty of pool space for everyone, there was a wading pool for the kids and a swim up bar in the main pool also a whirlpool that was treated more like a wading pool for little kids,
We did make our way one day to the quiet pool it’s tucked very nicely into the back of the property. It is a little hike to get there. But what a very peaceful place to spend an afternoon there was a small bar here to. The whirlpool connected to this pool was really nice it would have been fantastic if it was heated. Some of my favorite memories were made in a whirlpool in Mexico as the sun goes down
My wish list for this resort
1. Enforce the no smoking in the No smoking areas
2. Have more powerful wifi hot spots! there was supposed to be one by the beach bar and by the lobby area it was rare that we could get on. We ended up going to Starbucks and using theirs.
3. Have an attendant in the internet room as the computers were hard to use! I thought a keyboard was a keyboard until I tried using them here.
4. Would like to see more Seafood in one of the restaurants or even a seafood night at the main restaurant
5. a little better grade of tequila
6. Hot whirlpool for adults
7. I know reservations for the Ala Carts are based on the length of stay, but 4 for a 10 day stay seemed like not enough, I would like to see one for every 2 days stayed but now im being greedy!
8. $20.00 for the room safe.......really? it feels like price gouging if you need that 20 bucks raise the room price and furnish the safe! its already in the room

As far as rude people go I NEVER SEEN A RUDE STAFF MEMBER….. EVER! But I did see several rude people who would push their way into the food line, or push someone away from the water or pop dispensers, or even go as far as push a Lady out of the beach shower so he could use it. I will tell you in all the above cases they were not from the States I won’t say anymore on this subject though I would love to point some fingers!!! I don’t care where you are from have some manors !
Thank you Staff of the Viva Maya for helping us have a great vacation!!! You should all be proud of yourselves !

Room Tip: Ask for something on a higher floor facing the outside of the resort,
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an outstanding and excellent review about the Viva Wyndham Maya on TripAdvisor.

We are so glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that the Viva Wyndham Maya contributed in making your vacation an unforgettable experience! Your comments about our staff and about the impeccable service make us very proud. It is with great pleasure that we share your delightful comments with our entire team. We are absolutely sure it will make their day.

Rest assured that we will take your observations into consideration, as they will assist us in our ongoing commitment to improve our services and facilities.

Once again thank you very much for sharing your experiences.

We would be delighted to welcome you back in the near future.

Niagara Falls
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We have just arrived from a one week holiday at this resort. The grounds are very clean, the pool sparkling and the beach with its soft golden sand was just a dream. We visited the 4 a la carte restaurants. They were all exceptional but our favourite was Viva Cafe. Unfortunately by evening time we were so ready to sleep that we missed all the nightly entertainment. The food at the Wyndham Maya buffet and snack bar was exceptional and a big variety. The bar offered strong drinks of any kind you wish, we loved their Mojito's. The hotel was full to capacity and the staff was curtious and very helpful. The hot water was a hit and miss. Loved this place and I would recommend it highly. Thank you for a great vacation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you at Viva Wyndham Maya.
We are glad to know that you had the chance to enjoy your vacation at our resort.

It is a pleasure to know that our services and facilities met with your expectations.

Again thank you for recommending Viva Wyndham Maya on TripAdvisor.

London, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Hotel needed an upgrade. Food was just O.k. Staff was excellent. Very slippery around the pool . My husband fell and broke his collar bone. He was sober and walking. I saw other people slip and nearly fall. There were several rubber mats around therefore other people must have fallen. We received no compensation except for champagne our last night. We were lucky as it occured near the end of our trip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear customer,

Please accept a sincere apology for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during your recent stay in the Mayan Riviera. We appreciate the time you dedicated to write your remarks about your vacation. Your comments will assist us in our commitment to improve in all aspects of our operations.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve you at our resort and we remain at your entire disposal.

Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Had a great time over spring break with friends. I didn' t realize the value for the money and how great a job the staff did at involving guests until I staying somewhere else shortly after this trip.

The staff was amazing at remembering guests by name, and caring that they were having a good time. Lots of activities for all ages and fitness types. Loved the early morning yoga! The beach was clean, safe and easily accessible to watch the sunrise each morning. Rooms were clean and more than adequate for my 2 friends and me. Thanks for a great stay. I will be back!

• Liked — the value for the money; the location near the beach and town
  • Disliked — food in restaurants was only satisfactory.
  • Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind and detailed review of our Resort, its facilities and services.

We are very glad to read that everything corresponded to your expectations and that we were even able to exceed them when it comes to customer orientation and service, which is in fact the greatest compliment a Resort can get.

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic and motivating comments and we assure you that we will try our utmost to make your next visit as enjoyable as the first one.

Viva Wyndham Maya

Been to Viva Wyndham Maya? Share your experiences!