“Nice resort, rude staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Viva Wyndham Maya

You added Viva Wyndham Maya to your Saves list
Viva Wyndham Maya
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo Xaman-Ha, Mza. Lote Holetero 5 | Playacar, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #90 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Greenbrier, Tennessee
“Nice resort, rude staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The resort was nice, however we found the staff rude at this resort. We have stayed in several resorts in the Caribbean and I would not return to this one. Upon check-in we were told we would have to wait our room was not ready yet. It was several hours after check-in time before we could get to our room. After getting to our room, it wasn't as requested, we had two doubles instead of one queen. We returned to the front desk to state this wasn't the room we booked only to have to wait several more hours for our new room. The room itself was okay, nothing special. The beach was nice, however extremely crowded. The other travelers were very rude and would cut line while waiting. The staff noticed this but would not correct the 'skippers' and help the ones that were there first. The food was awful. The all inclusive buffet included the same foods daily with a specialty item to choose from. One night it was tenderloin. The cook that prepared this did not understand any English when I asked mine to be fully cooked. Sorry, but I am not eating a bloody piece of meat in a country where stomach illness is common and medical help is sub-par. Drinks were included in the all inclusive package, however they were made so strong we were unable to drink them. Both my husband and I got sick and spent one entire day in the room. We were both very careful with the water, even brushing our teeth with bottled water, so the only explanation could be the food. The vendors at the markets will drive you nuts trying to sell you things and when walking down the strip where other hotels are, timeshare salesmen will also drive you crazy. You have to be very firm with your no's and several times we were forced to walk away while they were still trying to intimidate us into attending a timeshare presentation. The last two days of our trip, it rained the entire time. There wasn't enough lounge area for visitors either so we spent most of these two days in our room watching the two English speaking channels that were available. Be careful at the airport in Cancun as timeshare salesmen there are very tricky in offering you things "with no presentations". Some people have no problem spending a day of their vacation listening to a timeshare presentation. With our work schedule we are unable to travel more than once or twice a year and are there to relax, not have someone try to talk us into buying something we don't even want. This was a relatively cheap vacation compared to others we have taken, so if you are looking for a budget friendly spot this is it. Just don't expect first class service or great food.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear customer,

We appreciate the time you dedicated to write your remarks about your stay at Viva Wyndham Maya. Your review will assist us in our commitment to improve in all aspects of our operations.

We regret not having been able to fulfill your expectations.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve you at our resort.

Viva Wyndham Maya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Polish first
Harrisburg, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed at Viva Maya over Christmas, requesting side by side rooms when we made our reservations in July (with a reminder email sent to Viva two weeks before we arrived). After arguing with the front desk, we settled on rooms that were "close". We were given rooms five doors apart, which my teenage children loved, but as parents we were constantly walking the hallway to check on them.

Overall, not a bad vacation. Front desk needs to get their act together, we were not the only unsatisfied guests. Staff works hard at making sure you have a good time. Food is average. Definitely book at the ala carte restaurants for a better meal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Viva Wyndham Maya, we would like to thank you for visiting our resort during your recent vacation to the Riviera Maya.

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to bring these points to our attention. Your insightful comments are highly appreciated. Your experience and the information you are providing will help us to continually improve our services.

Thank you for the kind acknowledgment of our staff and sharing your thoughts.

CHESTERMERE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Just spent a week there with 28 family members. Here is the scoop. Walk across the street to Starbucks and a few shops. 15 minute walk to the strip in playa del carmen. Beach was very nice. Boogie board rentals for free. If you can sail the catamaran's then you can take them out for free. Very clean property. Small and quaint. Trapeze for kids and adults. Food very average. Nothing spectacular. Only did one a la carte. They serve filtered water but don't give out water bottles. The rooms are at best a 3. Stark white. Tub wasn't great. Beds were firm but comfy. Walls are paper thin. You hear everything. Small kids pool area. They don't take american money. Although they do have a place to exchange to Pesos. Spa was nice and better priced then most resorts. Kids club was the best I have ever been too. It opens at 7 am and closes at 10 pm. No breaks. They also allow you to leave the resort while kids are at the club. They take great care of the kids. Every night the kids are on stage. The last night they did a big play on stage with them. Couldn't get my daughter to leave the club. Ages 4-11. They play at the beach, tennis, pool, painting etc. Other things I didn't like were the fact that every one smokes there. Mostly Europeans so not many people spoke English. Again if you are on a budget and have little kids it's a great resort but no more than a 3 star. Clean. no bugs. Just not upscale.

Room Tip: The resort is small so all the rooms are close to everything. Not a lot of walking like most resorts...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Southern CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I booked 5 nights via living social special from Nov 29-Dec 4, 2012. Needless to say, I received a good price based on the time of year and the all-inclusive resort. I rate this stay a 7, based on my past visits to other Playa del Carmen all inclusive hotels.

At check-in the staff was really friendly and had my name down with my information to greet me and help me get out of the cab. The check-in was very easy, got a welcome cocktail, and I was given my room keys. As I was given the keys, I asked if it was on the lower floor and they say no, and they did not have elevators, so I asked for a lower floor given that I had my two babies on a stroller. They were hesitant, but they were went ahead and gave me the lower level room. I was also asked if I was gonna use the safety deposit box and charged $2 per day.

My room was on the 3000's wing by the adult relaxation pool and had a nice balcony which was in front of the bar at that pool. The rooms are a bit outdated. they have a 42" LCD screen with cable and plenty of channels, but the tile on the floor, the bed spreads, and the restroom do need an upgrade. I was very disappointed that the room did not have a mini-bar, as my experience with other non-inclusive hotels is that you have beer, sodas, and water at your disposal in the room, but here the room as empty. The room also had a microwave which helped with the bottle sterilizing for the babies, but we had to buy bottled water at the vending machine (15 pesos per bottle) for the first day, until we walked into town and got a gallon elsewhere. Its also interesting that you have a microwave but they dont allow for you to take out food from the restaurant, other than the snackbar.

The hotel had a number of restaurants that needed a dinner reservation, but I was only allowed to make 2 reservations for all my 5 night stay...which I thought it was ridiculous, so I only made it to the Mexican Restaurant which I do have to say it was delicious and the service was excellent. The rest of the days we went to the buffet. The buffet were ok, not great not bad just ok. There wasn't as many selections as other all-inclusives, but you could always find 2-3 things to eat. After the 3rd day we were ready to eat elsewhere but with the kids it was a bit of a hassle to get out of the hotel. For breakfast they had cereals, oatmeal, lots of fruit, omelet and egg station, deli meats, breads, juices, donut station and your 6-8 hot dishes. The staff at the buffet was great, very friendly, cheerful, helpful, and nice. I would always leave a $2 USD tip after each meal, as a sign of gratitude for their hard work, although I noticed that people seldom left a tip, as they tell you tips are included in the price. I also noticed that the menu is tailored more to European Guests as you could always find pasta and deli items.

Bars were ok. They didnt have any top shelf liquour but it was decent. They only had keg XX beer, but the bar at the relaxation pool did have bottled caguama (32oz) that the served on a cup which was the best of all the beer in the resort.

We headed to the beach at around 11am everyday and we had no trouble finding lounge chairs at anytime. The hotel had a bar nearby the beach, but you had to fetch your own drinks, as they were no waiters in the beach area. The hotel had a little snack bar by the beach/pool area serving burgers, pizza, nachos, and pork chops, overall very good and accessible.

The only problem I had in this hotel was with housekeeping and the front desk staff. I always carry 2 pillowcases for my babies to avoid any allergies. I have 2 personalized pillow cases with their names on it. Each pillow case is about $33 USD. The first time the room was cleaned I reported that one of the pillow cases was missing. I was told by guest services that they would track it from the laundry room and give it to. I waited and called them and nothing happened. The day that I was leaving I asked them one more time and the front desk supervisor Angel told me that the maid only saw one pillowcase with the name "ABC" in the room and not two. I told him that was right the other pillowcase had the name "XYZ" and its still there, the "ABC " was the one missing. So that he said she said, failed, so they told me that they would look for the pillow case and ship it, I said ok, but I rather not pay the $10 safe deposit charge, but they insisted that I would get the pillowcase back, so I had to pay. I asked them what if its never found, and they said, we'll then the problem is escalated to management for them to solve the issue (which for me meant a new pillowcase, or for them to pay for it).

A week later I emailed and I was told the pillowcase was never found. I emailed them back about what the planned to do about it, and its been 3 weeks and I have not heard back from them. They did not stick to their word and I was lied to by the staff. I waited to see if I would get a response from the hotel before posting, but it hasn't happened.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Small, extremely minimal lobby. Sitting area past the lobby was a pleasant focal point for morning coffee. No more than a two-minute walk to pool and beach from any room. Good party atmosphere at the pool while still family-friendly. Great service at pool bar, but line-ups very long at bar outside pool and NO WAITERS around pool area. Either get in the pool for a drink or wait 10 minutes at the bar. Beautiful beach, warm water, and big waves great for boogie boarding. Had difficulty finding visually-appealing food at the buffet (La Terraza), but certainly able to find enough to eat with the large variety. Snack bar by pool consisted of burgers, fries, pizza, rice and beans, pasta, and fruit. 24-hour buffet is leftover food from earlier buffet at La Terraza but also with fresh pizza. Food at a-la-carte restaurants all EXCELLENT, especially the Mexican (mango tequila there is an absolute MUST TRY). Rooms are a near-fail. No fridge. No mini-bar. While clean, VERY VERY minimal....do not expect comfort, although they are not necessarily uncomfortable. Hallways outside rooms EXTREMELY loud. Echoes of voices at all hours. Repeatedly woken up in the early hours by doors slamming (VERY bad, doors need hydraulic closers). Service was ok, but almost none of the resort staff go above-and-beyond to serve you in any manner. May have to make several requests for a drink at the a-la-cartes. Bartenders make almost no eye contact, so hard to know where you stand when in line.

Overall, my stay was satisfactory at this price point. While I will be vacationing in Cancun / Playa Del Carmen again at some point, I will not be choosing Viva Wyndham Maya again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear customer,

We are glad that your overall appreciation of our Resort, its services and facilities was positive, but regret not having been able to fulfill your expectations.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve you at our resort.

Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The staff at this resort are tremendous and I truely hope management can see this. There exceptional hard work ethic , service and with a smile makes this resort . I would strongly recommend this resort to all and families exspecially.
The Rooms...adequate and clean. We were 2 adults and 2 teenage daughters. 2 real queen beds,thank god. Not a luxury suite in any way but O.K. Could have better pillows and drawer space.
The Restaurants...A la Cartes were very good with a 5 star delivery. Buffet was surprisingly good with a good selection and didn't wheir you down during a 2 week stay.
The Bars ...a great selection but lacked some good BEER, being from Canada EH! the tapped low grade didn't cut it...Although the staff my Amigos Petro "Smiley", Julio "remember Tekillya and it could be twins or tiplets" and of coarse Pancho made my stay great..their service and hospiality were exceptional. I truely hope they keep "smiling". The disco however was a joke,Johney D J thought he was a super model and played extremely poor music instead of dance music for all ages, therefore the disco was dead...The afterhours 11 pm plus was a little boring as there was no good listening ie; dancing music and atmosphere at the bar.We are on vacation and need some fun.
The Entertainment...well I have to say these people "Animation team" were fabulous ,friendly and tried their best to help you out.There work ethic was astonishing, always smiling and sincere. The kids club was amasing, you want to bring your younger children here for sure. Some of the Shows were absolutly astonishing, top quality. You always got to mingle with all the staff and share smiles everywhere.
The Activities..lots to do always, dancing, yoga,aqua fit,volley ball, bocca ball etc...lots of little tournaments...Our favorite was Archery, althought the arrow supply was getting low at the end. The Gym was fantastc all equiped with everything working, Sauna and hot tubs were great. Most of all the service and friendliness of the staff my Amigos "Edgar, Daniel, Ali and many more. Always available were pool balls, ping pong equipment etc....the trapese was excellent and the girls finally gave it a successful try.
The Pool and Beach...the pools were great 1 pool ful l of activities ,near the beach and another if you just wanted to relax at the back with bars on hand . Towels, loungers always available. The beach was fantastic , perfect area, nice sand etc..
Overall I would have to say, this place is deffinatley a great resort for all. The staff truely understand your vacation request and sincerely try to deliver it to you.
I respectfully want to thank all of our Amigos and truely wish we see them again.
"Mr. Maya" Danny

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be the same..a little bigger and better decor in back member section.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear customer,

Thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Maya as destination for your vacation.

We appreciate the time dedicated to write your opinion about your stay at our resort. It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities and we assure you that your feedback will be considered in order to ameliorate our services.

Please do not forget that Viva Wyndham Maya will be pleased to welcome you back.

Best regards,

Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Travelled here Dec 3rd 2012 and April 1st two times. The weather was outstanding. So we have gone to the viva as a family of 3 with our teenage son. I need to mention that alot of resorts don't discount kids after 12 yrs old but the Maya is up to 16. Gone as just a couple but met friends from Vancouver there. This time we went as a group of 13 from a wedding and everyone had a great time. My wife and I are not very picky as long as there is good fresh food and great drink. We are not much into buffet style food but the Maya offers such different food in thier buffets I am sure you could find something to fill your belly. We loved the ALA cartes exspecially the new cafe they have there now and the Japanese at the Azteca is always a hit. The beach is awesome...no water shoes required...just walk in and enjoy the water. The rooms are clean and the staff was very helpful. My hats off to Vanancio and the other bartenders keeping our glasses full! TIP, TIP, TIP whenever you can to the bar, the maids, the buffet staff....etc.You won't regret it. In Canada we tip 1 dollar approximately a drink so I don't see why we would change our custom there.

I messed up in booking but did upgrade to VIP so it kept the peace with the wife.lol. This gave you some better seating in the buffet, GREAT seating in a section with cushioned beach chairs on the beach and also full use of thier sister resort 3 resorts down the Wyndham Azteca where you could use thier ala cartes and drink as well.

One more thing is they have a PADI certified dive shop there and I got scuba diver certified there for $300. If you are able to breathe in a snorkel and respirator under water what a great bucket list thing to do. I am in awe of what you see down there. The staff there were great and helpful too. Cheers to Carlos and the gang!!!!!!!. 2 more chapters to go for another $150 and I will have my open water diving. You can go to any PADI certified dive shop in the world and do this so your not restricted to just Mexico if you travel alot.

Feel free email me if you have any other questions.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

There is no greater compliment than to hear from our loyal return guests that their stays are exceptional time and time again.

We are delighted to hear that you and your family had such a pleasant stay while enjoying our convenient location, facilities and services provided by motivated and engaged employees. We look forward to your next stay with us and thank you for your positive review of the Viva Wyndham Maya.

Viva Wyndham Maya

Been to Viva Wyndham Maya? Share your experiences!