“Best restaurant and sommelier ever .........!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Porto Real Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Gran Porto Real Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Gran Porto Real Resort and Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Constituyentes No. 1, Playa del Carmen 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #46 of 199 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
WilliamsLake B.C.
“Best restaurant and sommelier ever .........!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Italian restaurant at the hotel was extremely accomadating and the service by all the staff was above and beyond any service I have had in any restaurant. My wife and I travel frequently on business and I have never been to a restaurant where the food, wine, service has been so good. Alex the sommelier took time to introduce us to a variety of wines from around the world and gave us accurate suggestiion as the the wine pairings with the food that we were being served. We really liked the wines produced in Mexico and the price ranges were reasonable. Everyone in the restaurant was extremely polite and provided our every need without hesitation. Alex was also good enough to provide a wine tasting on one of the last nights in the hotel so that we could experience wines from other countries and regions. On our final night we drank a cab. sav. and with dinner a Chard. both from the west coast of Mexico on the Baja Penninsula. We wines were extremely fruit forward, layered with a silky finish which paired nicely with the meal prepared by their incredible Chef. All in all we will be back. Thank-you for an incredible dining experience !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chris and Cheryl Lawrence

Room Tip: Stay away from room 293. Many rooms on second floor had no windows and were a closet and noisy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (898)
  • Polish first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Located about 40 miles from Cancun airport in the expanding town of Playa del Carmen this hotel is of a high standard and set right on the sea front. Most of the guests are American or French Canadian but there are a few of us Brits.

Unfortunately on arrival, the junior suite we had booked was not available and we were given a temporary room on the road side of the hotel. We were later to learn that this was very likely because of the programme of substantial redecoration going on at the hotel during our stay. The hotel are quite keen on getting you to upgrade your room and we took advantage of a half price sea view upgrade that cost an extra $20 or £13 a night (most things are priced in US dollars throughout the resort) and was well worth it in our view, not least as the redecoration progressed through the hotel 10 rooms at a time. Although we had a room on the road side, we were almost at the bottom end of the hotel nearest the sea and therefore had a sea view. We could sit on the balcony and watch the sun rise or sunset and what a fantastic view that was. Better rooms are in the 150, 250 room number range with even numbers on the road side of the hotel and odd numbers on the ocean side.

There are several different types of rooms ranging from junior suites to more luxurious rooms located on the ocean side. This is the main difference in the rooms. For example if you are in a room on the road side of the hotel you will look out on the Royal, an up market sister hotel. My wife and I stayed for two weeks on a fully inclusive basis in November. This included all meals and drinks including wine. A word about the wine though which is for the most part un drinkable with the exception of ‘ champagne’ or sparkling wine.

The rooms are well appointed with a large walk in shower and as many towels as you could want. There was a good size television with DVD player and plenty of channels to choose from. Free wifi almost throughout the hotel is very useful and operates at a good speed. There was a fridge with beer and soft drinks replenished daily and a four optic dispenser with whisky, gin, vodka and tequila. You can ask for the optics to be changed and we swopped rum for gin.
The hotel beach is a little on the cramped side mainly because there are so many sun loungers set out but an outside bar and snack restaurant are nicely located right on the sea front. There is a small pool with varying depths of water and this tends to get quite busy but you can always swim in the sea.

The main restaurant is the Albatross where buffet food is served. You can look out over the beach to the sea if you sit on the veranda. There is plenty of choice and many of the dishes are cooked right in front of you. The standard of food is high with a real attempt to cook good quality interesting food from around the world. We had some really great seafood cooked with spicy sauce and a wide choice of salads. On one occasion we went to get some clams Rockefeller only to find they had run out. My wife mentioned it to the restaurant manager and she explained there were no more being cooked but would we like some shrimps cooked in garlic. These duly arrived and tasted absolutely marvelous. Great service. Breakfast offers a wide range of fresh fruit, eggs cooked any way you want them and some spicy Mexican dishes. Fruit juices are many and varied with about twelve on offer including Cactus juice.

Other restaurants include Marias, where you can get Mexican food, Il Pescatore, an Italian restaurant and a sushi bar. We tried all of these with varying success. Both the Italian and Mexican restaurants were fairly average and the Italian in particular was a difficult experience on our first visit because there was virtually no light. We were seated outside and reduced to reading the menu using the waiter’s pen torch. This was apparently quite usual because all the other guests had to do the same. A candle or low level lighting would have been better. However, our second visit was much better. We sat inside and had a very tasty carpaccio of beef and fish pate for starters and risotto and a fresh salmon for main course. The sushi bar is located on the third floor with its own pool and bar. There was very little choice of sushi and we were told the best day to go is a Saturday when the chef prepares Japanese food and there is more choice of sushi.

Quite by chance, we were sitting in the lounge and asked by one of the guest services team (Luis) if we had tried the sushi bar. We said that it was a bit disappointing and he immediately offered to get a plate of sushi for us. This duly arrived and was a big improvement on what we had experienced before. This is an example of the real effort the hotel staff put into making your stay a pleasure. We found the service to be of a high standard throughout our stay.
Just away from the front lobby inside the hotel is a travel office where you can book trips to places of interest. We found Cesar to be a most helpful and informative representative. He had lots of information about places to go and things to see and we found his advice invaluable.

Evening entertainment is really good with quite lavish dance acts and some evenings there was a group. The dance acts are lively and colourful and amongst the best we have seen for hotel entertainment. The hotel do need to advertise these events a bit more clearly. There is a rolling TV video by the main restaurant which show cases evening events but it does not tell you on which day each one is taking place. On the last evening we turned up at the main restaurant to find it closed and dinner being served on a rather windy beach. We opted to dine in Marias the Mexican restaurant.

Hotel renovation works were going on throughout our visit ranging from simply repainting rooms to a fairly major uplift of the main lobby bar which meant we lost the use of this facility in the last week of our stay and quite a lot of noise and dust was apparent. They have to do these things at some time but it was a significant loss of facilities to lose the main bar.

Overall this is a good hotel serving good and varied food with high levels of customer service. Our experience was somewhat marred by the ever more encroaching redecoration works which did not affect us whilst in our room but certainly did when we wanted to use the hotel services. We saw several people moving rooms and I think the hotel had its hands full trying to keep everyone happy.

Room Tip: Rooms in the range 150 or 250 are on the road side of the hotel but have a sea view. They are cheape...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Attentive service, good wine, creative menu, fresh tasty food. Truly a lovely Italian experience. We enjoyed it so much we returned for a second visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My sis and I stayed at the GPR for our annual November vacation November 4-11. The two previous years we were at the sister hotel GCR in Cancun. Trying not to compare the two, because they are both wonderful hotels, we both came away with our favorite. I liked the Mexican ambiance created at the GPR, where my sis preferred the modern sleeker look of the GCR. We much preferred the pool area and bar at the GPR. Stunning scenery, sand and weather. Cleanliness in both hotels you cannot fault. We were in room 147, a beachfront walkout room, lovely, we wanted for nothing. Slept like babies. Service was above and beyond everywhere, truly felt like the staff feel passion about their hotel. We thought the food and 24 hour eatery was of a higher caliber at the GCR. Alcohol and bartenders much better at the GPR. Sandbags...hardly noticed them, but, we are pool people. A little noise from construction, nothing to ruin a vacation, but, would have been annoyed if I had not known about it before going. We had a wonderful time which was slightly dampened by a flu bug we brought from home. We will be happy to return to the Gran Porto Real, hopefully next year! Could have stayed another week and been very happy.

Room Tip: We loved the beachfront walkout. No regrets there.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
red lake
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My daughter was married there Feb 2012. The wedding was awesome no complaints at all with anything from the beginning to end. We upgraded the reception to the Royal as it was a larger room with a dance floor. We had 80 guests so if we had the reception at the Porto Real we would not have had a dance floor. It is a good thing we found this out well in advance or we would have been suprized and would have been crowded. If you have 40-50 guests you might want to upgrade the reception "cost of 500.00 more..

As for the resort: We had requested adjoining room as we were travelling with an 86 year old mother. This was not met. There is adjoining rooms but they were spoken for. We booked this trip 10 months in advance and was very disappointed not to get the adjoining room. Elderly woman like the room warmer and we liked it cooler. So they put her 12 rooms down. I could not leave her alone at that age so kept her in a room with us and thus paid for a room we never used. They offered us an upgrade to the Royal which we could not do as she is in a wheelchair and the slope to the royal is impossible to push a wheelchair, besides our other guests were all at the Porto. We paid for an oceon from walk out. Well you cant see ocean.. the canopes beds are located in front of our patio obstructing all views.. side by side obscuring totally your view.

Food: Not as good as the Catolina Yukatan or Grand Bahia Coba. Not much choice in Al a Carte's.. It was just Ok..

Shop: If you like to shop it is located right in Playa Del Carmen walking distance to 5th avenue. However you can do a day trip there from any resort. We were not there to shop so it was not important.

Drinks: Awesome bar in your room. 40 ouncer of each type of alcohol. Fridge stocked daily..

Beds: Were good. rooms were nice..
Service: Amazing.

If I had to go back and had to choose between Catolina Yukatan and the Grand Bahia Coba .. I would go back to either the Catolina or Coba.

Brides: any questions I have lots of answers.. feel free to send message..

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Me and my girlfriend have been to this hotel several times,this is truly our home away from home. We just got back from there and I miss all of my friends already......Pablo, Rutilio, David, Muguel, Jesus, Jose, Teresa, Miriam, Aurelio, Avila, Huber, Jimmy, Lorencio, Ventura, Montero, Gustavo, Verlain, Omar, Diana, Chicken, Adul, Freddy and all of the staff at the Front Desk....(forgive me if I forgot your names but your work ethics and graciousness was not missed.) All of the staff work so very, very hard and are the nicest of people I have ever had the pleasure to meet. I need to send a very special thank-you to Diego and Victor at the Asiana restauraunt at the Royal, you made us feel like queens. This hotel and staff are fantastic, and the hotel is only 1 block from 5th avenue. I can't wait to see everyone again in March, get ready for Coco Bongos Diana! Miss you all!!! Mama "D"
I love all of you! l.... and can't wait to see you again in March.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed at Gran Porto Real Playa Del Carmen on 10/4-10/5 to attend my brother’s wedding. The wedding itself was beautiful the staff did an excellent job bringing to live my sister-in law vision, but leading up to the wedding is another story; hence the high score. The front desk staff was very friendly and accommodating UNTIL you have an issue then they become unfriendly and unresponsive. Example: for the last two nights of my stay between the hours of 6:40 and 7:00am I was woken up to loud banging and drilling overhead, apparently they were renovating the room above me –I WAS NOT INFORMED OF THIS - I spoke several time to Jorge at the front desk, but my issues was never solved, towards the end of my stay he avoid me . At check out he had a colleague requested that I sign a paper stating I would not pursue any sort of monitory action. The rooms for the wedding party was not near each other, they was spread all over the hotel; some in isolated areas. At night time the corridors was poorly lit and our female guests felt it necessary to have an male escort when they was going to their rooms. The food was mediocre nothing outstanding. The specialty restaurant ran out of dessert and entrees when I dined there. If you want poor service from the front desk, average food , lots of renovation noise then this is the hotel for you otherwise pass.
Jorge(not the horror from the front desk) from the Mexican Restaurant and Anna from the Spa provided very good service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Gran Porto Real Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!