“Accomodating” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 292 Activities in Playa del Carmen
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: PADI Dive Resort located in Playa Del Carmen in Mexico Mayan Riviera, on the beach of the hotel All Inclusive “The Reef Playacar Resort & SPA”.The Reef Marina is a recreational and professional PADI dive center and school. Diving and snorkeling tours are available in Playa Del Carmen,the cenotes and Cozumel.
Mold, United Kingdom
“Accomodating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My son and I stayed in the Rui Palace which is the resort next to the Reef Hotel, to which this dive operation is attached. I was looking for a package of dives, liked the look of the dive shop so wandered in.

Bruno and Phillipe have a unique approach in their offerings. In previous resorts I have become accustomed to finding out what day the dive boat is going to different sites and scheduled my holiday accordingly. These guys come from the standpoint of fitting their dive trips around the days we wanted to dive.

We did 6 dives in all, four drift dives, 2 cenote dives. The dive groups are kept deliberately small. Our largest group was 6 divers and that included two dive leaders. We were able to use our own gear so just used weights and tanks from the shop.

The dive leaders know their stuff. Our dive briefings included diagrams of where we would be inserting, the depths and exit points. When it turned out I was too buoyant on my first dive, the dive leader took 2kgs from his own belt to give to me as we descended. My son, who was using too much air, shared the dive leaders air via 'alternate' to ensure the dive didn't teminate early.

I'd done some research before leaving for Mexico to price up 6-8 dives. When you take into consideration the fact that the dive boat picks up at the waters edge and the transport to the cenotes is included ( with lunch), the prices charged are very competitive. However the service, friendliness and professionalism we saw from the staff couldn't have been bettered.

Very satisfied customers !

Visited August 2013
Stephan J, Propriétaire at The Reef Marina, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your comment. It was a pleasure for us to dive with you.
See you soon in Playa del Carmen
Carine Stéphan Bruno and all The Reef Marina team

Lake Zurich, Illinois
“Still Learning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

The is a plug for The Reef marina, dive operation. I’m in my mid-seventies, have done hundreds of dives all over the world, and recently did my first trip to Playa de Carmen. Have dived Cozumel numerous times and always thought the Mayan coast across from Cozumel couldn’t compare. I really wanted to do the cenotes so I signed up with my dive travel agency for a week with The Reef Marina. What luck. And, boy was I wrong about the diving.

The cenotes were fabulous, the flying drift dives on the coast turned up more species and quantities than we usually see in Cozumel. Playa is loaded with friendly turtles and the ridges of coral have a real abundance of Caribbean marine life. There is even a sunken shrimp boat to explore and greet the big Cuda and morays guarding it.

Many reviews rave about Juan the dive master who was so good and showed them everything. Well you don’t have to worry about getting Juan at The Reef. They are all Juan’s. The staff is all French, except for one poor Belgian who is exiled to the cenote guiding :] - if you can call it that.

My last day was with a dive master on his last day of employment before retuning home. Wouldn’t think he would be too enthusiastic. He gave us (only two divers, they limit four divers to a guide) a thorough briefing and a first class hour long dive. He talked about things he would show us and said when we hit the grassy drift after leaving the coral ridges we would likely see large black grouper, turtles, school of tarpon, green morays, stingrays and perhaps a Marlin in the distance. Guess what we didn’t see the marlin! This was after all the schools of reef species and macro stuff he pointed out in the coral area.

When I went to Trip Advisor, I started reading reviews of The Reef Marina, and they were almost all the same - excellent. I strongly recommend the Reef Marina, as we used to say in the Navy, they are one squared away operation. Administratively and in the water.

One last thing, be sure to do a cenote dive and if you are up for it they say the bull sharks congregate there in the winter months.

Norwich, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“A fantastic dive operation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

As a PADI instructor, I have quite high standards when using dive centres and this one looked pretty good judging by the previous reviews on Trip Advisor.

All I can say is how right they all are as this centre is top drawer and all the staff were excellent and very professional. My wife and I did four dive trips plus the whale shark snorkelling with them and every time, the trip was perfect. They really make sure they look after you on the trips with excellent lunches, plenty of drinks and even some post dive cookies on the beach!!

Special mentions to Nico for his guiding around Playa Del Carmen and the Whale Shark Snorkelling!! Well done for arranging the Manta and Eagle Rays!! ;-) Jeremy for his tour around Cozumel and finding the strongest current on a dive site ever (we just hit a bad day but it was a lot of fun and he guided it brilliantly). The wall at Cozumel was also beautiful. Also, massive thanks to Stephan for having a great dive centre and for taking me to Cenote Angelita and Chac Mool for amazing diving experiences!

If you are staying at the Reef Marina, you must visit this dive centre for your aquatic adventures and if you are staying anywhere else near this centre, give it a go as you won't be disappointed.

London, United Kingdom
“First Diving will not be the last”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Pascale Jeremie and the rest of the staff were fantastic The first time any of us tried diving and we loved it - they were excellent when we were learning the use of the equipment and during the dive itself Jeremie was brilliant with all of us and even arranged a couple of Turtles which was exactly what we wanted to see.

Felt very confident with them even when my son lost his weight belt and then ran short of air - no panic and we still managed to finish the dive

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“A superb Diving Center!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I had 14 wonderfull dives with The Reef Marina! I think it is the best diving Center I have ever visitted. The service and the diving-guides are at a rare top level (I have dived in at least 18 different countries over the last 30 years).

If you are an experienced diver and are looking for something spesial, I strongly recommend diving in the cenotes-a memory for life! You can also take your family on a daytrip and snorkel with whalesharks, when the world biggest fish is around.

I had all my dives with divinginstructors Pascal and Jeremie, both great guides!!!!!!
Hopefully I will come back next year!
Frøydis from cold Norway/Scandinavia